Sign in to follow this  
Utilit99

Started playing Zork l - The Great Underground Empire

Rhymes with dork, so that makes sense

• Haha 1

I'd like to join you but the file is .hqx for Macintosh and I am too stoopid to figure out how to open it. I'm wresting with the instructions now.

http://infocom-if.org/downloads/downloads.html

7 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

I'd like to join you but the file is .hqx for Macintosh and I am too stoopid to figure out how to open it. I'm wresting with the instructions now.

Yeah. I kind of did the same thing. My only PC is my company provided laptop with current client project software downloaded for access to their network so I simply didn't want to push it. Therefore, I added it onto my phone which I don't care as much about. I forget the site I downloaded it but it was specific for Iphone or Android. I have android. When I downloaded the main app, I needed to download each 1, 2 and 3 Zorks which were all in the same site. 

I may try again on my laptop and if I figure it out I'll update here.

11 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

The instructions aren't talking about the issue I'm having. I use doxbox for old games or potentially windows but have never used a mac game with .hqx before and am failing miserably as pretty much always happens every time I tryt something new.

10 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Yeah. I kind of did the same thing. My only PC is my company provided laptop with current client project software downloaded for access to their network so I simply didn't want to push it. Therefore, I added it onto my phone which I don't care as much about. I forget the site I downloaded it but it was specific for Iphone or Android. I have android. When I downloaded the main app, I needed to download each 1, 2 and 3 Zorks which were all in the same site. 

I may try again on my laptop and if I figure it out I'll update here.

I'll wait to see if you have better luck. I'm the absolute worst for figuring out tech stuff. I graduated from a 4th rate public school in 1989 and may well be among the last of the high school graduates released into the world without any computer training or skill whatsoever. 10 Print "I suck at this" 20 Goto 10 I am utterly lost when I try to figure things out on my own. At least I now have English on my computer, unlike 95% of my time here, so it's not impossible to at least attempt things before failing miserably.

3 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

I'll wait to see if you have better luck. I'm the absolute worst for figuring out tech stuff. I graduated from a 4th rate public school in 1989 and may well be among the last of the people released into the world without any computer training or skill whatsoever. I am utterly lost when I try to figure things out on my own. At least I now have English on my computer, unlike 95% of my time here, so it's not impossible to at least attempt things before failing miserably.

I just tried again and when I ran the .bat file it showed the game is incompatible with the 64 bit windows version. I'm guessing a different game program is needed for current computers. Worked for my phone though. I'll see if I can find which one I downloaded from. 

This seems easy enough to follow but it still intimidates the hell out of me as there are a dozen places/ways things can go wrong and I hate trying new things with so many steps and new things to download. It has all the hallmark traits of something I'll waste an afternoon on, fail, give myself a headache in the process, and have all these new worthless bullsh*t programs downloaded on my computer taking up space that I don't know how to use, find, or get rid of.  I'll just stick with old DOSBox games because they are generally idiotproof and I already how to download and run them.

If you like playing text based games, I just got done and had fun playing Sherlock- Riddle of the Crown Jewels and Arthur- The legend of Excalibur. They're both abandonware games that you can download for free and play in dosbox, which is much easier to figure out. 

I'd love to play Zork with you but I have a history of abject failures along these lines and this seems like too much aggravation.

Kids cant read today...have no spatial recognition...that would be a disaster

That is why we are so much smarter

15 minutes ago, DonS said:

Watch out for them muthafockin' grues!

Seriously. Use the damn lantern.

I finally found it and beat it just now. Gods, I needed too much help from guides though. I'll try it again on my own now.

Can get it for free here: https://www.myabandonware.com/game/zork-26j

The first time I've ever heard of this game was on the tv show Chuck.  The second time was this thread.  I'll have to look it up one of these days.

On 4/6/2021 at 10:06 PM, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

what was Wizardry not available?

Wizardry was freaking awesome!!

21 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Wizardry was freaking awesome!!

greatest franchise of all-time, kick started the entire CRPG genre!!!

still play them from time to time

1 hour ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

greatest franchise of all-time, kick started the entire CRPG genre!!!

still play them from time to time

You can buy em from gog.com...good old games.com...damn that and the bards tale kicked azz!!

You're in a maze of twisty little passages all different.

Drop rod 

Take bird