Sign in to follow this  
AxeElf

Random Observations - 2021

Why is it that the 49ers don't have some kind of major annual event on this day?  Seems like it would be their biggest day of the year...

Do the 76ers have a major annual event on July 6th?

7 hours ago, weepaws said:

Do the 76ers have a major annual event on July 6th?

Close; July 4th is typically celebrated because of that date in 1776.

Yeah they should mark the day as historical for it is the day that Lynch & Shanahan have clinically lost their frigging minds to want to draft Mac 'I'll get you close but no cigar' Jones.

DN

Not buying Jones to SF hype. KS likes all his little run game wrinkles. He wants a mobile QB. Really not different from when Walsh got Steve Young.

JG to NE could still be in the works, IMO.

29 minutes ago, DrG said:

DN

Not buying Jones to SF hype. KS likes all his little run game wrinkles. He wants a mobile QB. Really not different from when Walsh got Steve Young.

Here's the thing this isn't just a draft rumor, it's coming from Schefter.

Schefter wouldn't attach his name to that, unless he got specific info from a trusted source. So if this 'rumor' is subterfuge, why would the niners put it out there, to what end? No one can jump them to take their guy, no matter what they telegraph. But strange things do happen during silly season, and if you are feeling confident you can get decent odds betting on a different QB. At Bet MGM, currently the 3rd pick in the draft is Mac Jones- 300, Fields + 275, Lance + 425...

4 hours ago, DrG said:

DN

Steve Young didn’t become the starter until 1991, 3 years after Walsh left. 

11 hours ago, Smileseers said:

Walsh brought in Steve Young to back up Montana no question.

Yep, he was the starter in Tampa for two seasons before moving to SF to back up Montana. He didn't become the regular starer until he was 30.

1 hour ago, polecatt said:

Yep, he was the starter in Tampa for two seasons before moving to SF to back up Montana. He didn't become the regular starer until he was 30.

Yep and before Tampa he was in the celebrated flop USFL. It was good for him to sit behind Montana. Made him a better QB and he was a pretty decent fantasy player as well.

1 hour ago, DocNiner said:

Yep and before Tampa he was in the celebrated flop USFL. It was good for him to sit behind Montana. Made him a better QB and he was a pretty decent fantasy player as well.

Understated for effect or is my memory exaggerated?

I feel like Steve Young is in my top 10 or so FF BEST EVER for an extend period of time in the 90s and drafting him was an auto ticket to $$$ as long as he stayed healthy.

At least that's how I remember it.

2 hours ago, lesjroza said:

I feel like Steve Young is in my top 10 or so FF BEST EVER for an extend period of time in the 90s and drafting him was an auto ticket to $$$ as long as he stayed healthy.

Same here. I drafted Young in multiple leagues back in the early 90's and he absolutely help me win multiple titles and dollars. Made a ton of money on his 6 td's in the 1994 superbowl championship against the Chargers. Ironically they scored 49 points to boot. Ah, those were the days. Now been waiting forever for them to win their 6th ring.

Three great seasons in a roll, and then another his last full season on 98, I never drafted him, always went way before I draft qbs.  

Young was brought in also due to injury concerns about Montana. Young was more prolific, yet not the same level of big game qb that Montana was.

Schefter no hack and often, but not always right. We will know in a couple weeks.

On 4/11/2021 at 1:07 PM, lesjroza said:

Well didn't want to boast about him too much but he was really a great QB AND a great fantasy QB. I surely enjoyed the years he played for San Fran and grateful I was able to have him in multiple fantasy leagues over the years. Dude won me some nice coin.

From a fantasy perspective, the draft shouldn't be all that interesting.

If you think about it, the average NFL career for a starter is about what? 8 years?  That means for the 22 starters on every team, we can expect to see about 88 change over every year.  Yet we draft about 240 players every year.  So basically about 2/3 will never make it to starter status.

Then out of the guys who do make it to starter status, we need QBs, RBs, WRs, to become fantasy relevant which is a much smaller percentage of players since the average since a second receiver or a fullback or a third receiver and most tightends don't really pop up on the fantasy radar.  That means a typical draft might give us what?  1 to 2 QBs that are fantasy relevant.  4 to 5 or so fantasy relevant RBs and WRs which mostly won't come in their first year?  0 to 1 fantasy relevant tight ends?

Words will express (but just barely) how ready I am for the draft next week, so we can put an end to all of this largely random, largely wild, and largely amateurish speculation about who will do what in the NFL draft, and get down to figuring out who to target in our own 2021 drafts.

What draft? 

11 hours ago, weepaws said:

What draft? 

It's when you don't have enough money for bottles, but still wanna get your buzz on.

We've all been there.

17 hours ago, AxeElf said:

Words will express (but just barely) how ready I am for the draft next week, so we can put an end to all of this largely random, largely wild, and largely amateurish speculation about who will do what in the NFL draft, and get down to figuring out who to target in our own 2021 drafts.

Yeah I agree but it's still fun ranting with speculations about who'll go to what team and when. Yes is still shows us how little we know at times what teams will do come draft day. Surely people will be ready for the draft to be over once it starts so they can get down to their own drafting.