Sign in to follow this  
Bill E.

Selling used car payment questions

So we are selling my old truck and getting a lot of interest.  One guy just offered almost full price without seeing it.  Now he wants to meet tomorrow and pay with money orders.  I told him no either cash or meet at a bank and get a certified check there.  I never thought through the payment part but you hear of people getting ripped off or robbed so does what I said to him make sense or is there more I should be doing?

Cashier check or straight cash homie. Fock that guy and his ghetto money orders. 

5 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

Cashier check or straight cash homie. Fock that guy and his ghetto money orders. 

On the other hand, he could probably buy some drugs while he was there. :dunno:

4 minutes ago, frank said:

On the other hand, he could probably buy some drugs while he was there. :dunno:

That will be the true test. If the guy accepts his same money orders for payment of narcotics, then we are closer to knowing it is legit. 

Bitcoin would fix this. :dunno:

But I'm told it doesn't have utility or value.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Bill E. said:

So we are selling my old truck and getting a lot of interest.  One guy just offered almost full price without seeing it.  Now he wants to meet tomorrow and pay with money orders.  I told him no either cash or meet at a bank and get a certified check there.  I never thought through the payment part but you hear of people getting ripped off or robbed so does what I said to him make sense or is there more I should be doing?

Meet at his bank, watch him withdraw the cash or get the check. 

Walk into the bank and cash the check then give him the keys and pink slip. 

• Like 1

Certified checks only certify that he funds were in the account, when the check was written. They don't hold the funds, waiting for your happy ass. Also, you can put a hold on any check. 

Cash or a bank transfer, with both parties at the bank.

ETA: Don't accept a check that is deposited into your account. The check can show as added to your balance before it clears. 

Thanks everyone.  I guess this is the right way to go.  The guy texted me like a dozen times but when I told him cash or meet at a bank for certified check he stopped talking so it was a scam.  I was instantly suspicious when he made an offer right at the asking price without even looking at it.  I texted this back several hours after he quit texting. 

It is too bad the scumbag scammers ruined money orders for the honest people.  Get a real job, right? 

• Like 1