• sibling
    • relative
    • shooting range or other similar place
    • hunting trip group
    • the military / police
    • self-taught
    • other
    • I never learned how to use a firearm

Taught myself and my Dad was against guns but when I was old enough bought my own. Turn out my dad love to go shooting guns with me and would buy them himself before he left this sh!tty world. We had a lot of fun shooting them together and good memories.

Father and grandfather. I have a CCW and take a gun everywhere I go. 

• Like 1

SSG Navarro, August - October 1989, Echo Company 2-10, Ft. Leonard Wood, Missouri.

• Like 1

Combo.

Pops taught me firearm safety, proper handling etc.

I taught myself how to shoot.

Parris Island. And it was a rifle. One shot, one kill. Breathe, Relax, Aim, Stop, Squeeze, Follow through. BRASSF. 

I went with self-taught because I have no specific memory of an event or person teaching me.  My dad had a rifle (.30-06) that he never really shot with us, that thing has a hella kick.  My first memories of shooting were with a BB gun shooting birds in our back yard.  I became quite a good shot, to the dismay of the birds.  Over my life I’ve done the occasional target shooting at a range or out in the wilderness, but other than one class a year ago never had formal training.  

I still don’t own one, but my son is getting into them, so I’m thinking of getting one myself.

24 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

My first memories of shooting were with a BB gun shooting birds in our back yard.  I became quite a good shot, to the dismay of the birds.   

I had a 12 pound common snapping turtle in a 33 gallon plastic trash can, in the backyard. The Blue Jays would line up around the edge of the can and just scream at him. I would get my BB gun and shoot a jay in the back of the head, and it would fall in. The snapper would drag him under, and that was it. 

Other: Firearm training when I was 11 years old. Didn't have any bad habits to un-learn. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, bostonlager said:

Father and grandfather. I have a CCW and take a gun everywhere I go. 

This.👍🇺🇲💥

17 hours ago, BeenHereBefore said:

Taught myself and my Dad was against guns but when I was old enough bought my own. Turn out my dad love to go shooting guns with me and would buy them himself before he left this sh!tty world. We had a lot of fun shooting them together and good memories.

Love that movie

3 hours ago, jerryskids said:

I went with self-taught because I have no specific memory of an event or person teaching me.  My dad had a rifle (.30-06) that he never really shot with us, that thing has a hella kick.  My first memories of shooting were with a BB gun shooting birds in our back yard.  I became quite a good shot, to the dismay of the birds.  Over my life I’ve done the occasional target shooting at a range or out in the wilderness, but other than one class a year ago never had formal training.  

I still don’t own one, but my son is getting into them, so I’m thinking of getting one myself.

I play the guitar. I taught myself how to play the guitar, which was a bad decision... because I didn't know how to play it, so I was a shitty teacher. I would never have went to me.

Friend. Owned a shotgun and went hunting a few times when in high school.  

The ultimate teacher, however, was your mom.  Damn she knew how to handle my weapon.  :banana:

3 minutes ago, DonS said:

Friend. Owned a shotgun and went hunting a few times when in high school.  

The ultimate teacher, however, was your mom.  Damn she knew how to handle my weapon.  :banana:

Did she ever figure out that hair trigger?  :(

1 hour ago, Mookz said:

Did she ever figure out that hair trigger?  :(

Unfortunately no.  I could definitely use some training on that. 

8 hours ago, KSB2424 said:

Dad.  

is there any other answer? 

There must be if you look at the staggering amount of gun violence in Chicago. :ninja:

your mom loves to use my firearm