Sign in to follow this  
Djgb13

What state would you live in

2 minutes ago, The PosterFormerlyKnownAs said:

As long as your  kids are past elementary school, great choice!

No problem there. Fripp Island is without a doubt my favorite/ideal place.

2 hours ago, shorepatrol said:

You'll have to pry AZ out of my cold dead hands. 

Yeah, I read this thread earlier and as I thought about it, all things being considered, I can’t think of another state I’d rather be in.  Perhaps in 10 years if we get solidly blue, but I’m looking for an excuse to get a place in Prescott anyway, and that will never turn blue.

The main things I’m thinking about are weather, tech jobs, and politics.  I like a lot of areas in Florida but they don’t have much tech, at least the kind I work in.  Plus my wife is a curly and doesn’t like humid places.  Also hurricanes.

Somewhere it doesn’t get above 80 in the summer or below 40 in the winter. And rains a lot. Otherwise, I’ll stay in Cali.

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, OldMaid said:

Somewhere it doesn’t get above 80 in the summer or below 40 in the winter. And rains a lot. Otherwise, I’ll stay in Cali.

Sounds like Western WA

It would have to be the reddest part of a red state, but with that, I really don't have much interest in going south. For now put me down for Couer d'Alene, Idaho. It's pretty out there too with the mountains and streams.

I just moved to Utah four months ago. Not as cold as I thought it would be. Mountains are gorgeous and nobody here is a fatty. 

13 hours ago, DonS said:

Sounds like Western WA

👍🏻 

19 hours ago, Voltaire said:

It would have to be the reddest part of a red state, but with that, I really don't have much interest in going south. For now put me down for Couer d'Alene, Idaho. It's pretty out there too with the mountains and streams.

:thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

Interesting way to ask the question.  Interesting results.  

California 12. It was one of the best places on the planet a few decades ago, and without a doubt the best state in the union. Immigrants and liberals ruined it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, KSB2424 said:

7 of the Top 10 and 15 of the Top 20 are blue states.

8 of the Bottom 10 and 15 of the Bottom 20 are red states.

Who the fuk would willingly move to the Dakotas? Are you guys wife-beating, alcoholic sociopaths that like freezing your rocks off? You're going to live in hell just cuz you like the politics? Damn, Trump did a number on y'all.

21 minutes ago, Fnord said:

Who the fuk would willingly move to the Dakotas? Are you guys wife-beating, alcoholic sociopaths that like freezing your rocks off? You're going to live in hell just cuz you like the politics? Damn, Trump did a number on y'all.

I’d much rather live in Baltimore. 

• Haha 1

On 4/12/2021 at 10:55 PM, The PosterFormerlyKnownAs said:

Come on over!  SC has something for everyone.

Horrible roads, horrible schools, horrible bbq. 

The only thing good about SC is Charleston and Greenville. The rest of the state is pure trash.  

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, MDC said:

7 of the Top 10 and 15 of the Top 20 are blue states.

8 of the Bottom 10 and 15 of the Bottom 20 are red states.

How do you think this would have looked 10 - 20 years ago?

Trends my friend, trends. 

1 hour ago, Fnord said:

Those oil and pipeline jobs pay really good money. I'd go for that if I were just out of high school and knew how much the Army sucked. Putting in a couple of years working outdoors in 50 below weather and making tons of cash would have had a romantic appeal to me once upon a time. The Alaska fishing industry too. Even if you don't have much job training, just showing up with a good work ethic and a willingness to learn can get you some good income in a short time. Not now, being fat and just under 50. But if I weren't raking in cash on my little -50 degree adventure, I agree, I'm not sure what else the attraction is.

But then, that's winter. Maybe you GTFO for four months. The hunting and fishing would probably be great the other eight.

I'm going to go full GFIAFP and just start typing a train of thought.  😃

I need salt water in my life, so that limits where I am going, goodbye Midwest, I'm sure it's nice in many parts but just can't do it personally.  No chance I move to the upper north east cities like Philly, anywhere in NJ or N.Y. nor SF,  LA, Portland or Seattle.  Florida and SoCal come to mind.......Texas is a wild card.  I'm fond of North Carolina as it has the outer banks on one side and the Appalachian mountains on the other plus great universities, hospitals and commerce.  However I'm moving away in this scenario.   Hawaii is a destination, not a place you grow roots.  I'm just not down with Louisiana, Miss, Bama, SC or even Georgia.    

In no order as this is a train of thought:

Texas

Southern California

North Carolina

Florida

ETA:  Arizona

On 4/13/2021 at 12:41 AM, Gepetto said:

North Carolina because I think the weather is good there year round.

Well, it depends as you have the mountains on one end and the coast on the other, choose your vacation destination (or do both!)  NC has all four traditional seasons, its just that none of them bring the full brunt of winter or summer.  The winter isn't like a lot of states where you see negative degrees, however we normally have one good snow a year and the summer is mostly moderate, albeit for August where it can be 97 and muggy (humidity).  Nine months out of the year it's moderate, March thru July and September thru December are magical weather-wise.  Some of the best Universities in the country.  The Research Triangle Park is home to many Fortune 500 Companies.  Politically speaking, it's purple.  Of course I am biased, that doesn't mean I lie though.  

• Thanks 1

If I have to move to a state that I have never lived in before, then I would choose New Mexico. The north part has great hunting and fishing, you are not too far from skiing, and you are not near all of the people.

If I can choose to move back to a state I previously have lived in then it would be Wyoming. However, my wife would never, ever move to wyoming, so that is not an option. New Mexico is an option.

5 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

Well, it depends as you have the mountains on one end and the coast on the other, choose your vacation destination (or do both!)  NC has all four traditional seasons, its just that none of them bring the full brunt of winter or summer.  The winter isn't like a lot of states where you see negative degrees, however we normally have one good snow a year and the summer is mostly moderate, albeit for August where it can be 97 and muggy (humidity).  Nine months out of the year it's moderate, March thru July and September thru December are magical weather-wise.  Some of the best Universities in the country.  The Research Triangle Park is home to many Fortune 500 Companies.  Politically speaking, it's purple.  Of course I am biased, that doesn't mean I lie though.  

Wife and I thought about moving to RTP 20+ years ago.  Along with the benefits you listed, it was somewhat equidistant between my family in PA and her family in FL.  They just didn’t have enough of a tech infrastructure at the time, and our families have since moved on.

We did go to the Outer Banks about 4 years ago for a summer vacation, we absolutely loved it.  I agree that having that and the mountains in close proximity is quite a benefit.  :thumbsup:  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Wife and I thought about moving to RTP 20+ years ago.  Along with the benefits you listed, it was somewhat equidistant between my family in PA and her family in FL.  They just didn’t have enough of a tech infrastructure at the time, and our families have since moved on.

We did go to the Outer Banks about 4 years ago for a summer vacation, we absolutely loved it.  I agree that having that and the mountains in close proximity is quite a benefit.  :thumbsup:  

I have been on two extended business trips to Tempe, AZ.   The first time was in March about 8 years ago and there was MLB spring training nearby to my hotel, I went to two games on the weekend and thought it was amazing.  The weather was immaculate, it was March in Arizona after all.  Flying into AZ as we descended on the plane all I saw was single family homes with every one having a pool. Coming from NC, it looked odd, but cool.  We ventured onto Arizona States campus and I thought to myself "Holy shit , this campus is amazing" and that was before I saw the co-ed's roaming around. We also drove around on the weekend as I wanted to visit Scottsdale as I am a golfer, didn't play but just wanted to see. 

Fast forward a couple months into the summer and I flew back in town to Tempe.  She was hot, but it was bearable, a dry heat if you will. I know that is a normal take when comparing to southern US heat to out west, but it is true.  We went into Phoenix, ate some dank ass Burritos and hit up a Diamondbacks game against the Dodgers.  Good times.  I really like the area, could 99% seeing myself living there, but personally speaking, I need the ocean in driving distance is my only downside. 

2 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

I have been on two extended business trips to Tempe, AZ.   The first time was in March about 8 years ago and there was MLB spring training nearby to my hotel, I went to two games on the weekend and thought it was amazing.  The weather was immaculate, it was March in Arizona after all.  Flying into AZ as we descended on the plane all I saw was single family homes with every one having a pool. Coming from NC, it looked odd, but cool.  We ventured onto Arizona States campus and I thought to myself "Holy shit , this campus is amazing" and that was after I saw the co-ed's roaming around. We also drove around on the weekend as I wanted to visit Scottsdale as I am a golfer, didn't play but just wanted to see. 

Fast forward a couple months into the summer and I flew back in town to Tempe.  She was hot, but it was bearable, a dry heat if you will. I know that is a normal take when comparing to southern US heat, but it is true.  I still had a great time.  We went into Phoenix, ate some dank ass Burritos and hit up a Diamondbacks game against the Dodgers.  Good times.  I really like the area, could 99% seeing myself live there, but personally speaking, I need the ocean in driving distance.....that is the end of my post.  

San Diego is 5 hours away, LA is 6. Less if you live in the West part of the valley. Once you move out west, a 5 hour drive is nothing. I like the Phoenix area, lived there for a while. Just too big of a city for my tastes now. If I was to relocate, outside of Cali in no particular order would be Idaho, New Mexico, Colorado, Oregon or Washington. The wide open west is where it's at.

• Like 1

If any of my boys have a chance to go to Arizona State University I will look them in the eyes, grab their heads by my palms and say:

"Spread your wings young man and do good by your name"

NY in the mid 1990’s until 2012 or so. It was great. The golden age of NY. Gone forever. 

10 hours ago, Fnord said:

San Diego is 5 hours away, LA is 6. Less if you live in the West part of the valley. Once you move out west, a 5 hour drive is nothing. I like the Phoenix area, lived there for a while. Just too big of a city for my tastes now. If I was to relocate, outside of Cali in no particular order would be Idaho, New Mexico, Colorado, Oregon or Washington. The wide open west is where it's at.

That’s so true about the 5 hour drive!  I came out from PA via MA, everything was so much closer there.  When I moved to Phoenix people were like “hey let’s go to SD, it’s only 5 hours away!”  I’m like “only?!  From my hometown in PA I could get to 5 major cities in 5-6 hours!”  But like you said, in a short time a drive like that becomes nothing.  Heck, if you get on I-8 to SD and have good wheel alignment, you can fall asleep for an hour or two the road is so straight.  

It really is nice having different climates so close.  Prescott and Payton are < 2 hours away and 20+ degrees cooler, about 5K elevation.  Flagstaff and Pinetop are 3.5 hours and cooler, more like 8K elevation.  We are planning for retirement — met a realtor yesterday, I think we are going to sell our house.  The market is crazy now, even for larger homes.  We can rent a friend’s condo in Scottsdale for as long as we like, to figure out the next step. :cheers: 

Flagstaff is beautiful,  but home prices there are nuts, almost California-like. And the winters can be tough, as the snowfall adds up quick. I lived there for a year, and this Minnesota kid saw two of the worst blizzards of his life that one winter. You also have Sedona close by, which is spectacular.  AZ would be an excellent place to retire. Good luck with your plans, Jerry.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KSB2424 said:

I'm going to go full GFIAFP and just start typing a train of thought.  😃

I need salt water in my life, so that limits where I am going, goodbye Midwest, I'm sure it's nice in many parts but just can't do it personally.  No chance I move to the upper north east cities like Philly, anywhere in NJ or N.Y. nor SF,  LA, Portland or Seattle.  Florida and SoCal come to mind.......Texas is a wild card.  I'm fond of North Carolina as it has the outer banks on one side and the Appalachian mountains on the other plus great universities, hospitals and commerce.  However I'm moving away in this scenario.   Hawaii is a destination, not a place you grow roots.  I'm just not down with Louisiana, Miss, Bama, SC or even Georgia.    

In no order as this is a train of thought:

Texas

Southern California

North Carolina

Florida

ETA:  Arizona

I would either go to Northern Wisconsin or somewhere around Southern Missouri/Norhtern Arkansas.  I love the Northwoods of Wisconsin but the winters suck.  Missouri/Arkansas would still have a lot of outdoor options for me but much warmer.

On 4/12/2021 at 10:11 PM, Bert said:

Florida.  Naples area.

Headed there in 11 days. 

Flying into Ft. Lauderdale, staying in Delray Beach 2 days, then driving over and staying in Bonita Springs. Playing Bonita National 1 day, and then 2 places in Naples after that. 

• Like 1

On 4/13/2021 at 11:30 PM, KSB2424 said:

I think television is to blame for this poll. You see New York and LA on television and lots of people think its cool. Then they actually go there and realize John Rocker was right. 

Imagine having to take the 7 Train to the ballpark looking like you're riding through Beirut next to some kid with purple hair, next to some queer with AIDS, right next to some dude who just got out of jail for the fourth time, right next to some 20-year-old mom with four kids.