Sign in to follow this  
cmh6476

Chiefs trade for LT Orlando Brown

They paid a big price, but they must not like the 2nd tier OT that much. The rich get richer...

24 minutes ago, jrokh said:

They paid a big price, but they must not like the 2nd tier OT that much. The rich get richer...

seriously?

Looks to me like the Chiefs are using their first rounder to get a 24 year old guy who has played in 2 Pro Bowls (acknowledging his first was as a replacement).  Then they basically traded up into the second round using their 3rd and 4th round picks.

I imagine the Chiefs are going to work out a long-term deal, and he could be protecting Mahomes' blindside for the next several years.  Also sounds like the Ravens likely have his replacement in Alejandro Villaneuva, who recently was there for a visit.

I'm also hearing reports that Lamar Jackson heard the news, chucked his phone and then threw it at a wall.  But missed.

:banana: :banana: :banana:

• Haha 2

Reports are that Harbaugh heard the news and bought a new pair of khakis to cry in.

Reports are that Mark sanchez heard the news and went to high five Orlando, but ran into his butt and fell down instead.

• Haha 1

Reports are that Dee Ford heard the news while playing in the playoffs in Madden.  He was so excited he lined up off sides and cost the team a super bowl appearance.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, nobody said:

Reports are that Dee Ford heard the news while playing in the playoffs in Madden.  He was so excited he liked up off sides and cost the team a super bowl appearance.

What do you mean when you said he liked up off sides? 

This is a very good move for KC, after what happen in the super bowl, they needed to address this issue, and they did in a big way. 

Congrats 

1 hour ago, cmh6476 said:

seriously?

Looks to me like the Chiefs are using their first rounder to get a 24 year old guy who has played in 2 Pro Bowls (acknowledging his first was as a replacement).  Then they basically traded up into the second round using their 3rd and 4th round picks.

I imagine the Chiefs are going to work out a long-term deal, and he could be protecting Mahomes' blindside for the next several years.  Also sounds like the Ravens likely have his replacement in Alejandro Villaneuva, who recently was there for a visit.

Did I stutter, and don't call me Shirley. I'm not suggesting the price isn't worth it, but it wasn't cheap. According to the trade value charts it's around the value of a high to mid second round pick in this year's draft. All that for a RT, who wants to play LT, and more importantly wants to be paid like a top LT. If they stayed at 31 and didn't make the trade they could have drafted a LT and controlled him on the cheap for 5 years. Obviously they didn't like the non Sewell/Slater/Darrisaw guys like Jenkins or Eichenberg. Chiefs are in win now mode as they should be, but their was a cost attached and they are paying it in full...

2 minutes ago, jrokh said:

Did I stutter, and don't call me Shirley. I'm not suggesting the price isn't worth it, but it wasn't cheap. According to the trade value charts it's around the value of a high to mid second round pick in this year's draft. All that for a RT, who wants to play LT, and more importantly wants to be paid like a top LT. If they stayed at 31 and didn't make the trade they could have drafted a LT and controlled him on the cheap for 5 years. Obviously they didn't like the non Sewell/Slater/Darrisaw guys like Jenkins or Eichenberg. Chiefs are in win now mode as they should be, but their was a cost attached and they are paying it in full...

to be fair, he made the pro bowl as a LT.  And there isn't a lineman in any draft you are going to get at the end of the first round that's going to be able to come in and play LT at a high level.  And there isn't any reason to believe the Chiefs are going to be picking anywhere but the late rounds of the draft in the unforeseeable future.  They need a bookend LT to protect Mahomes, and this was probably their best chance to lock one up at a young age.  Hopefully he lives up to expectations.

7 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

to be fair, he made the pro bowl as a LT.  And there isn't a lineman in any draft you are going to get at the end of the first round that's going to be able to come in and play LT at a high level.  And there isn't any reason to believe the Chiefs are going to be picking anywhere but the late rounds of the draft in the unforeseeable future.  They need a bookend LT to protect Mahomes, and this was probably their best chance to lock one up at a young age.  Hopefully he lives up to expectations.

I think it was a necessary move, especially if you don't like the likely available tackles in the draft. The thing is this is the last year on Brown's contract. So they could have gotten him for nothing but money after this season. Now they have to pay him in addition to the draft capital it took to get him. I don't know how the Chiefs can pay all these guys big money, but they seem to keep doing it, so why not...

When the cost of living in KC is a third of what it is on the coasts, it makes sense to take half as much to play there.  So KC effectively has a bigger salary cap than teams in high cost-of-living areas.

Now that KC is a perennial contender for the foreseeable future, they're an even more attractive destination.

12 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

When the cost of living in KC is a third of what it is on the coasts, it makes sense to take half as much to play there.  So KC effectively has a bigger salary cap than teams in high cost-of-living areas.

Now that KC is a perennial contender for the foreseeable future, they're an even more attractive destination.

umm no, cost of living as % of salary is quite small.

38 minutes ago, weepaws said:

What do you mean when you said he liked up off sides? 

It was a typo.  I meant lined up offsides.  I'll correct post haste.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, nobody said:

It was a typo.  I meant lined up offsides.  I'll correct post haste.

No problem 

5 hours ago, cmh6476 said:

I'm also hearing reports that Lamar Jackson heard the news, checked his phone and then threw it at a wall.  But missed.

:banana: :banana: :banana:

I heard he got the news, went to throw his phone at the wall, but tucked it and ran, head first into the wall.

The wall won...

On 4/23/2021 at 1:58 PM, jrokh said:

I think it was a necessary move, especially if you don't like the likely available tackles in the draft. The thing is this is the last year on Brown's contract. So they could have gotten him for nothing but money after this season. Now they have to pay him in addition to the draft capital it took to get him. I don't know how the Chiefs can pay all these guys big money, but they seem to keep doing it, so why not...

Cap’s going way up after this year. They know it

On 4/23/2021 at 5:21 PM, Donkey said:

umm no, cost of living as % of salary is quite small.

According to Nerdwallet.com (not saying they're the end-all-be-all), the cost of living in Kansas City is 15% less than Baltimore.  Of course, these guys aren't living in the inner cities, but I'd have to imagine that the burbs wouldn't be much different.  To me, 15% is pretty substantial.  I threw in Brown's 2021 base pay into their calculator and they say he'll pocket an extra $500k by living in the KC area.  Considering he's making $3.4M this year, that's pretty good.

2 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

According to Nerdwallet.com (not saying they're the end-all-be-all), the cost of living in Kansas City is 15% less than Baltimore.  Of course, these guys aren't living in the inner cities, but I'd have to imagine that the burbs wouldn't be much different.  To me, 15% is pretty substantial.  I threw in Brown's 2021 base pay into their calculator and they say he'll pocket an extra $500k by living in the KC area.  Considering he's making $3.4M this year, that's pretty good.

Cost of living is food, mortgage, etc. Once you’re beyond that it’s all the same.

You save some money for sure but not 1/2 mill

1 hour ago, IGotWorms said:

Cost of living is food, mortgage, etc. Once you’re beyond that it’s all the same.

You save some money for sure but not 1/2 mill

This is what they calculate...https://www.nerdwallet.com/cost-of-living-calculator/compare/baltimore-md-vs-kansas-city-mo-ks

I'd actually expect it to be more than a half mil because he's not going to live in small house.  A $1M house in Baltimore is probably just under $2M in KC.

5 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

This is what they calculate...https://www.nerdwallet.com/cost-of-living-calculator/compare/baltimore-md-vs-kansas-city-mo-ks

I'd actually expect it to be more than a half mil because he's not going to live in small house.  A $1M house in Baltimore is probably just under $2M in KC.

Are you sure that's what you meant to say?  A $2M home in KC would be a mansion :lol:

16 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

Are you sure that's what you meant to say?  A $2M home in KC would be a mansion :lol:

Exactly my point.  In Baltimore, this is what $1M can get you (a 1300 sq ft apartment).  This is what it can get you in KC (a 4k sq ft monster).

In Baltimore, $1M gets you an apartment... where as you get a mansion in KC.  That's why I say it's going to be way more than $500k because your dollar on housing will go way further in KC than Baltimore.  Oh, and that's not even counting taxes.  Both Baltimore and Baltimore County come with a 3.2% income tax, so that's an extra 5.4% tax that he won't have to pay either, since KC only has 1%.  He's going to play 7 home games this year.  In Baltimore, he'd have to pay about $115k in income tax if played for the Ravens, but will pay only $18k.  That's another $100k in his pocket.  State-wise, I think both MD and KS are around 5.5%, so those are a wash.

46 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Exactly my point.  In Baltimore, this is what $1M can get you (a 1300 sq ft apartment).  This is what it can get you in KC (a 4k sq ft monster).

Except it wasn't exactly your point; you said it backwards the first time:

57 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

A $1M house in Baltimore is probably just under $2M in KC.

You meant a $1M house in KC would cost more in Baltimore.

10 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

In Baltimore, $1M gets you an apartment... where as you get a mansion in KC.  That's why I say it's going to be way more than $500k because your dollar on housing will go way further in KC than Baltimore.  Oh, and that's not even counting taxes.  Both Baltimore and Baltimore County come with a 3.2% income tax, so that's an extra 5.4% tax that he won't have to pay either, since KC only has 1%.  He's going to play 7 home games this year.  In Baltimore, he'd have to pay about $115k in income tax if played for the Ravens, but will pay only $18k.  That's another $100k in his pocket.  State-wise, I think both MD and KS are around 5.5%, so those are a wash.

Yeah but you have to live in Missouri 😢

1 hour ago, IGotWorms said:

The most expensive neighborhoods in the KC metro area are on the Kansas side--Leawood, Mission Hills (where Mahomes lives), Fairway, Prairie Village, Overland Park...  You don't have to live in Missouri.

17 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

that's the cost of living for the median person, so the difference is 15% or about 6K. the entire cost of a home does not factor into the cost of living, the mortgage or rent would. now obviously NFL players lead a more extravagant lifestyle, so the amounts would be higher.  And will vary between cities but have a hard time seeing the difference being much higher than 5K / month, maybe up to 10K in certain circumstances.

9 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

Well, there is that... but it's certainly an upgrade over the Baltimore area.

8 hours ago, AxeElf said:

The most expensive neighborhoods in the KC metro area are on the Kansas side--Leawood, Mission Hills (where Mahomes lives), Fairway, Prairie Village, Overland Park...  You don't have to live in Missouri.

Kansas, even worse 😭

I may not be 100% correct here, but if you look at day 1 2020, to day 1 2021 this is going to be a completely revamped O-Line:

LT Eric Fisher -> Orlando Brown

LG Nick Allegretti -> Joe Thuney

C Austin Reiter -> Austin Blythe

RG Andrew Wylie -> Laurent Duvarney-Tardif

RT Mitchell Schwartz -> Kyle Long

43 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

I may not be 100% correct here, but if you look at day 1 2020, to day 1 2021 this is going to be a completely revamped O-Line:

LT Eric Fisher -> Orlando Brown

LG Nick Allegretti -> Joe Thuney

C Austin Reiter -> Austin Blythe

RG Andrew Wylie -> Laurent Duvarney-Tardif

RT Mitchell Schwartz -> Kyle Long

Boy, one azz whipping and Andy Reid goes nuts.  Didn't they just win like 32 of their last 38 games or something... and make the Super Bowl 2 years in a row?

11 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Boy, one azz whipping and Andy Reid goes nuts.  Didn't they just win like 32 of their last 38 games or something... and make the Super Bowl 2 years in a row?

it's Brett Veach.  Since becoming the GM, he's worked hard to address areas they identified as deficient.  Tardif took the year off because of COVID, so he's the only projected starter who was with the team last year.  Long is a former first rounder who took last year off and then came out of retirement to join the Chiefs.  We'll have to see if the year off has given him the full bill of health to play at a high level over the course of 16 games.  Brown, Thuney and Blythe were all acquisitions to address areas of need.

16 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

it's Brett Veach.  Since becoming the GM, he's worked hard to address areas they identified as deficient.  Tardif took the year off because of COVID, so he's the only projected starter who was with the team last year.  Long is a former first rounder who took last year off and then came out of retirement to join the Chiefs.  We'll have to see if the year off has given him the full bill of health to play at a high level over the course of 16 games.  Brown, Thuney and Blythe were all acquisitions to address areas of need.

Seems like an overreaction to me.

10 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

umm, did you watch the super bowl?  Fisher and Schwartz were also released because of the cap hit.  Brown is on the last year of his rookie deal, so there is a big savings over what Fisher was going to cost, and hopefully not much decline in performance.  I also imagine Thuney and Blythe are going to be upgrades over what they had last year.  Games are won in the trenches, and the Chiefs needed to address their line and did just that.

1 hour ago, cmh6476 said:

umm, did you watch the super bowl?  Fisher and Schwartz were also released because of the cap hit.  Brown is on the last year of his rookie deal, so there is a big savings over what Fisher was going to cost, and hopefully not much decline in performance.  I also imagine Thuney and Blythe are going to be upgrades over what they had last year.  Games are won in the trenches, and the Chiefs needed to address their line and did just that.

Oh, I watched it alright.  Did you want the previous 40 games the Chiefs played?  Just because they got owned by one team in one game doesn't mean what they had didn't/couldn't work.  I mean, it literally worked just 12 months prior, did it not?

2 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Yeah, it was totally an overreaction.  The O-line wasn't even what cost them the SuperBowl, it was the butterfingered receivers they had that day.  When you have Mahomes, an O-line is largely superfluous, but I guess they had to focus on something--since they weren't gonna can Kelce, Hardman, or Williams.

• Confused 1

Mahomes was scrambling for his life in the SB.  It's lucky he's as talented as he is, and made it look like it wasn't as bad as it seemed.