Sign in to follow this  
The Football Guru

Instant Fantasy Analysis - WR Ja'Marr Chase, Bengals

Draft Profile

Team Fit: What does it say about a player's talent (and upside) when his college coordinator opted to make him the featured receiver over a record-breaking rookie receiver? (Full disclosure: Justin Jefferson's versatility had something to do with that decision.) At any rate, Chase's strong hands - and his confidence in them - shows up repeatedly on film, easily plucking passes all over his catch radius with the greatest of ease. He is a beast after the catch as well (23 broken tackles and 411 yards after contact in 2019 were the most by an FBS receiver). In Cincinnati, he'll pair up with his college quarterback (Joe Burrow). While you'll have the benefit of easing into his role a bit with Tyler Boyd and Tee Higgins already in tow, there's a reason I comped him to Sterling Sharpe. It shouldn't take long for him to exert his dominance on the league.

What does it mean in redraft? WR3 with high-end WR2 upside. There are simply too many good receivers in the league right now to push Chase into the top 24 as a rookie. With that said, the fact I'm uncomfortable in saying that and the likelihood he has an A.J. Brown-like rookie season makes him someone worth reaching for on draft day.

Where should I expect him to go in my rookie drafts? Check back next week.

This hurts those Higgins owners. 

If someone needed a WR. I think he'd be the #1 pick in a rookie draft.