Sign in to follow this  
The Football Guru

Instant Fantasy Analysis - QB Justin Fields, Bears

Draft Profile

Team Fit: One can't help the feeling that GM Ryan Pace sees a little bit of Deshaun Watson in Fields after passing on him for Mitchell Trubisky a few years ago. The first thing that jumps out about Fields is his 4.4 speed, but fans should not make the mistake of believing he is a Lamar Jackson or Robert Griffin III clone. He did most of his work from the pocket at Ohio State and handled his responsibilities well, as Pro Football Focus charted him with only 18 turnover-worthy plays in his college career. If Chicago can somehow convince Allen Robinson to stick around past 2021, the Bears may be on the verge of putting together a solid supporting cast for their rookie quarterback (joining David Montgomery, Tarik Cohen, Darnell Mooney and Cole Kmet). The primary reason Fields stayed on the board as long as he did was his tendency to hold onto the football a split-second too long. (I explained why this may not be all that big of a concern for him in his draft profile.)

What does it mean in redraft? Superflex bench depth (for the moment). Andy Dalton was added in free agency as a placeholder, but there's no question Chicago will make the change to Fields when it feels like he is ready. When that moment occurs (and it will almost certainly happen before the end of this season), Fields' dual-threat ability should make him a quality QB2 option.

Where should I expect him to go in my rookie drafts? Check back next week.

What do Ohio State QB's and Chicago Bears QB's have in common?

16 hours ago, jrokh said:

What do Ohio State QB's and Chicago Bears QB's have in common?

This year? Being way better than Daniel Jones. :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Utilit99 said:

This year? Being way better than Daniel Jones. :thumbsup:

I’ll take that bet Seafoam...

The bad news is Ohio st has NEVER had a good NFL QB and pretty much the bears haven’t either (Jim McMahon sucked). But this kid has a chance and they got an excellent lineman to support him in rnd 2. 

On 5/2/2021 at 1:18 PM, tanatastic said:

The bad news is Ohio st has NEVER had a good NFL QB and pretty much the bears haven’t either (Jim McMahon sucked). But this kid has a chance and they got an excellent lineman to support him in rnd 2. 

Best combination of first two picks in this draft. Especially from where their draft picks were before the draft. People stick up for daniel jones, but in his second year as a pro he had 11 TDs and 10 Ints. Even Trubisky backed his way into the pro bowl in his second year. :lol:

How many does Texas Tech have?

Well, the modern day Bears, you're right... but they have 3 QB's in the HOF: Blanda, Driskoll, and Luckman.

1 minute ago, tanatastic said:

Yes

So then why does it matter than no good QB's came from Ohio St?

8 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

So then why does it matter than no good QB's came from Ohio St?

It’s just a factual statement, wether it matters is entirely up to you. 

I liked Fields. Wasn’t high on him going to the Bears but some day they’ll have to have a good QB...right? :unsure:

On 5/2/2021 at 11:18 AM, tanatastic said:

honestly, when drafting a QB who may play in year one.  I believe strongly in getting a good supporting cast out there for him.

if you dont have one, you are better off letting the kid sit.

A solid O line and good, route running WR's who will be where they are supposed to be when the rookie QB does his reads is important to a young QB's development.

I would argue a good run game is also helpful but there are cases where a QB has developed without a good run game so I'd say its not manditory, but I still think it is important and helpful to the development of a young qB.

The drafting of the O lineman is a move I feel will be helpful sooner or later. (hopefully sooner rather than later)

I do think Dalton will start for much of his rookie year.  Maybe all of it depending on how things go.

Ideally I think the team would plan for him to start the last week or two of the regular season and take over as starter next year.

I think it’s easy to predict This situation, it’s Daltons job , if late into the season he and the Bears are once again awful, which will be the case , than the rookie will get his time in. 

On 5/3/2021 at 5:40 PM, Ray_T said:

honestly, when drafting a QB who may play in year one.  I believe strongly in getting a good supporting cast out there for him.

if you dont have one, you are better off letting the kid sit.

A solid O line and good, route running WR's who will be where they are supposed to be when the rookie QB does his reads is important to a young QB's development.

I would argue a good run game is also helpful but there are cases where a QB has developed without a good run game so I'd say its not manditory, but I still think it is important and helpful to the development of a young qB.

The drafting of the O lineman is a move I feel will be helpful sooner or later. (hopefully sooner rather than later)

I do think Dalton will start for much of his rookie year.  Maybe all of it depending on how things go.

Ideally I think the team would plan for him to start the last week or two of the regular season and take over as starter next year.

There's a lot of truth in this.  Where do you think the conversation on Josh Allen would have been had the Bills not gone out and added Diggs?

I'd say either way. Dalton, Fields, both. It buys Nagy and his staff another year. This is a Milligan season, with a win in 2022 or else.

26 minutes ago, Kopy said:

This is a Milligan season, with a win in 2022 or else.

Unless you're referring to Milligan University in Tennessee, you might want to take a mulligan on that.

16 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Unless you're referring to Milligan University in Tennessee, you might want to take a mulligan on that.

:thumbsup: :lol:

14 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

There's a lot of truth in this.  Where do you think the conversation on Josh Allen would have been had the Bills not gone out and added Diggs?

agreed.  there  are a lot of cases like this out there too if you care  to go looking.

yet there are still a lot of teams who will draft a QB and put  him behind a terrible line with nothing great at WR and then say the  QB flopped.

perhaps the prospect  was  ruined by not putting him in a position where he could succeed.

• Like 1

What? The Bears have never had a good QB?

You mean you don't remember Sid Luckman?  🤣🤣

On 5/5/2021 at 9:56 AM, Kopy said:

I'd say either way. Dalton, Fields, both. It buys Nagy and his staff another year. This is a Milligan season, with a win in 2022 or else.

I disagree. The coaching staff and GM need to show progress this year. There will be loads of pressure to play Fields early as they won’t be around to see him next year if the Bears suck again.

1 hour ago, IGotWorms said:

I disagree. The coaching staff and GM need to show progress this year. There will be loads of pressure to play Fields early as they won’t be around to see him next year if the Bears suck again.

That's still not even a guarantee.  In 2014, Tampa hired Lovie Smith and they went 2-14.  After drafting Winston in 2015, the Bucs went 6-10 and fired Lovie after that season.  In 2018, the Cardinals fired a coach the year after they hired one and drafted a top 10 QB.

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

That's still not even a guarantee.  In 2014, Tampa hired Lovie Smith and they went 2-14.  After drafting Winston in 2015, the Bucs went 6-10 and fired Lovie after that season.  In 2018, the Cardinals fired a coach the year after they hired one and drafted a top 10 QB.

Not a guarantee but it’s the only hope they have

26 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Bears had the best draft of all teams.

That remains to be seen.  Saying it now is kind of like saying that the guy who drafted Barkley, McCaffrey, Michael Thomas and Kenny Golladay last year had the best draft.

1 minute ago, AxeElf said:

That remains to be seen.  Saying it now is kind of like saying that the guy who drafted Barkley, McCaffrey, Michael Thomas and Kenny Golladay last year had the best draft.

Of course. But what do you want on a fantasy board? Only talking about the past? It's called entertainmemt.

The NY Giants are very thankful for the Bears draft. Thanks again for the gift that keeps on giving, Da Bears....

39 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Of course. But what do you want on a fantasy board? Only talking about the past? It's called entertainmemt.

Well, the past IS the best indicator we have of the future...

...in which case it's impossible for the Bears to have had the best draft.

1 hour ago, AxeElf said:

Well, the past IS the best indicator we have of the future...

...in which case it's impossible for the Bears to have had the best draft.

Whatever man. Move on.

Just now, AxeElf said:

Scoreboard.

10 Biggest Draft Mistakes in Bears History

Sad thing is, Trubisky over Mahomes din't even crack the top 10.

But heck, even Mahomes probly woulda sucked if he'd gone to Chicago.

Ok. I'm talking this year. But you can live in the past all you want.  You think Fields sucks. Fine. I don't. 

18 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Ok. I'm talking this year. But you can live in the past all you want.  You think Fields sucks. Fine. I don't. 

I didn't say that.  Fields has bust potential, but he could be just fine, too.

What I WAS saying is that history testifies against it.  I have no personal convictions regarding Fields, but the Bears aren't known for nailing draft picks.  Maybe they did this year, but maybe they didn't.  It's too soon to know for sure.

14 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

I didn't say that.  Fields has bust potential, but he could be just fine, too.

What I WAS saying is that history testifies against it.  I have no personal convictions regarding Fields, but the Bears aren't known for nailing draft picks.  Maybe they did this year, but maybe they didn't.  It's too soon to know for sure.

So, Cohen, Mooney, Montgomery, Roquan Smith, Whitehair, Goldman, Eddie Jackson all suck according to you.

Gotcha. 

1 hour ago, Utilit99 said:

So, Cohen, Mooney, Montgomery, Roquan Smith, Whitehair, Goldman, Eddie Jackson all suck according to you.

Well, not Whitehair.  He's from K-State.

There's already a thread about Montgomery sucking, though; that's been pretty clear since Day 1.

7 hours ago, AxeElf said:

Well, not Whitehair.  He's from K-State.

There's already a thread about Montgomery sucking, though; that's been pretty clear since Day 1.

Sure. 5th in rushing yards last year with 0 fumbles on the year.

And you left out all the other guys.

Mevermind dude. Just let it go. 

12 hours ago, Utilit99 said:

Sure, let's talk this year foamy. Da Bears currently have the 18th best chance of winning the Super Bowl, at +4000 or 40 to 1 according to las vegas sports books. Better get those bets in now before they skyrocket...

5 hours ago, Utilit99 said:

Sure. 5th in rushing yards last year with 0 fumbles on the year.

LOL

Sure, after the rest of the team shut down.

He had less than 500 yards rushing until the end of November; he had 598 of his 1,070 yards and 7 of his 8 rushing TDs after Thanksgiving.