Sign in to follow this  
The Football Guru

Instant Fantasy Analysis - RB Travis Etienne, Jaguars

Draft Profile 

Team Fit: Maybe it shouldn't come as a shock, but this pick comes as a bit of a surprise - even if new HC Urban Meyer felt as if someone needed to take a bit of the load off James Robinson. At the very least, the addition of Etienne ensures there will be very little drop-off when one of the other needs a blow. Clemson's all-time leading rusher is lauded for his big-play ability for good reason (47 runs of 20 or more yards, 16 career touchdowns of 44-plus yards), but he's more than just a home-run hitter. He is a fearless runner with a strong base that gets his fair share of yards after contact and has turned himself into a very good receiver during his time in college. Comps to Alvin Kamara are a bit lazy and unwarranted, but he does project favorably to another versatile running back in Tiki Barber. Like Barber early in his career, Etienne entered the league with ball security issues (eight career fumbles, including four in 2020). The latter is an unforgivable number given his 168 carries last year.

What does it mean in redraft? RB3. This is not a great landing spot for him to contribute immediately. Unless Meyer is planning on bumping one of the best backs in the league last year (Robinson) from his starting perch, Etienne will likely be limited to 10-12 touches and perhaps the bulk of third-down work until Robinson misses time.

Where should I expect him to go in my rookie drafts? Check back next week.

Also they brought in mr Hyde. M 

You guys realize that Travis Etienne was Trevor Lawrence's teammate at Clemson, right?

And that Urban Meyer's sole reason for taking this job was to coach Trevor Lawrence?

And that Trevor Lawrence might therefore have some influence over who he wants in the backfield with him?

Or maybe they'll bench their first round pick for the UDFA from last year's team/coaching staff.

Yeah but the coach as the last say, at best it’s going to be a messy three RBBC.  

Yup.  I honestly don't understand this pick.  I don't care how good Etienne is, the Jags had a chance to improve the team where improvements were needed.  The one spot that they didn't need to improve, was RB.  Stupid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Yup.  I honestly don't understand this pick.  I don't care how good Etienne is, the Jags had a chance to improve the team where improvements were needed.  The one spot that they didn't need to improve, was RB.  Stupid.

It could have been a bigger need but at least it’s not Jordan Love useless level. 17 games teams will want a rotating backfield more than ever and Ettienne was too talented to ignore.   They landed the best player at two positions that’s not too shabby. 

15 minutes ago, tanatastic said:

It could have been a bigger need but at least it’s not Jordan Love useless level. 17 games teams will want a rotating backfield more than ever and Ettienne was too talented to ignore.   They landed the best player at two positions that’s not too shabby. 

Nothing wrong with having a rotating backfield, but that could've been addressed in the 3rd round.  I mean, we are talking about the team that one of the worst defenses in the NFL.  There wasn't 1 DB, 1 LB, 1 DL worth that pick?  I find that extremely hard to believe.  Jacksonville was 32nd in the NFL in rushing attempts.  Having another RB isn't going to help you stop the other team from scoring.  I mean, Robinson did average 4.5 ypc last year.  He wasn't a volume guy, he was a productive guy.  No, it's not Jordan Love bad, but it is bad... really bad.

6 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Nothing wrong with having a rotating backfield, but that could've been addressed in the 3rd round.  I mean, we are talking about the team that one of the worst defenses in the NFL.  There wasn't 1 DB, 1 LB, 1 DL worth that pick?  I find that extremely hard to believe.  Jacksonville was 32nd in the NFL in rushing attempts.  Having another RB isn't going to help you stop the other team from scoring.  I mean, Robinson did average 4.5 ypc last year.  He wasn't a volume guy, he was a productive guy.  No, it's not Jordan Love bad, but it is bad... really bad.

They can address those other positions later in the draft as well and they obviously need to. In the end a few players won’t make the difference, but he’s a difference maker and that’s something. I wouldn’t call it bad and especially not “really bad”, even if it’s not optimal. 

2 minutes ago, tanatastic said:

They can address those other positions later in the draft as well and they obviously need to. In the end a few players won’t make the difference regardless, but he’s a difference maker and that’s something. 

This isn't the pre 2000 NFL, no RB is a "difference maker".  A missing piece?  Yes.  A final piece?  Yes.  Difference maker?  No.

1 minute ago, TBayXXXVII said:

This isn't the pre 2000 NFL, no RB is a "difference maker".

Yes there are, both on the field and also for the teams bottom line with merch, hype, sales etc. 

I understand the pick as he was the best player on the board.  They really screwed over James Robinson possibly with this pick though.  Can't believe Etienne wasn't drafted higher.

Just now, tanatastic said:

Yes there are, both on the field and also for the teams bottom line with merch, hype, sales etc. 

Agree to disagree... on both counts.

3 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Agree to disagree... on both counts.

First one, fine, your opinion. But you disagree that there are running backs that boost team hype and merch sales? :blink: That ain’t really up for a debate, it’s more like a fact.

8 minutes ago, tanatastic said:

First one, fine, your opinion. But you disagree that there are running backs that boost team hype and merch sales? :blink:

Merch sales are irrelevant because it's shared revenue.  No matter who drafts whom, they all get an equal cut.  Derrick Henry jersey's sold more than Ronald Jones and Leonard Fournette by a mile... both teams got an equal cut.  Doesn't matter that one played for Tennessee and the other two played for Tampa.

Team hype?  Winning takes care of that... regardless of who the RB is.

6 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Merch sales are irrelevant because it's shared revenue.  No matter who drafts whom, they all get an equal cut.  Derrick Henry jersey's sold more than Ronald Jones and Leonard Fournette by a mile... both teams got an equal cut.  Doesn't matter that one played for Tennessee and the other two played for Tampa.

Team hype?  Winning takes care of that... regardless of who the RB is.

Interesting, I didn’t know about shared revenue. They need to win for sure and there’s 6 more rounds of the draft to help themselves out. They got the best player available and he’s also college teammates with Trevor so that’s adorable. They have to be better than 1 win at least.

1 minute ago, tanatastic said:

Interesting, I didn’t know about shared revenue. They need to win for sure and there’s 6 more rounds of the draft to help themselves out. They got the best player available and he’s also college teammates with Trevor so that’s adorable. They have to be better than 1 win at least.

The NFL and NFLPA signed a new CBA, here's the cliff's notes with revenue sharing.  With ticket sales, the teams get a bigger cut from their own gate, concessions, parking, and sponsorships.  The rest (including merchandise), is a 1/32 split.

I don't buy "BPA".  In a bubble, that's not a thing.  It's always based on team need.  If Kanas City, Buffalo, or Baltimore owned Jacksonville's pick this year and had the #1 pick... are they drafting Trevor Lawrence?  No, they're not (well, Baltimore might).  They're going to either pick a player they need or trade down.  That's what Jacksonville should've done.  They should've picked a player they needed or trade down.  I find it hard to believe that a team wouldn't give up a 3rd or 4th round pick to grab someone.  I'm willing to bet they had offers.  I also find it hard to believe there was a player at another position that they had rated similarly to Etienne.

Sure, the Jags have other picks and all can even pan out, I just think using a premium pick on a player who won't really be all that much of an upgrade, is the best use for that pick.

3 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

The NFL and NFLPA signed a new CBA, here's the cliff's notes with revenue sharing.  With ticket sales, the teams get a bigger cut from their own gate, concessions, parking, and sponsorships.  The rest (including merchandise), is a 1/32 split.

I don't buy "BPA".  In a bubble, that's not a thing.  It's always based on team need.  If Kanas City, Buffalo, or Baltimore owned Jacksonville's pick this year and had the #1 pick... are they drafting Trevor Lawrence?  No, they're not (well, Baltimore might).  They're going to either pick a player they need or trade down.  That's what Jacksonville should've done.  They should've picked a player they needed or trade down.  I find it hard to believe that a team wouldn't give up a 3rd or 4th round pick to grab someone.  I'm willing to bet they had offers.  I also find it hard to believe there was a player at another position that they had rated similarly to Etienne.

Sure, the Jags have other picks and all can even pan out, I just think using a premium pick on a player who won't really be all that much of an upgrade, is the best use for that pick.

So how many shares of Robinson do you own?

• Haha 1

Just now, AxeElf said:

So how many shares of Robinson do you own?

None.  It's a football issue, not fantasy.  Nice try though.

It’s going to destroy a lot of value from all three of those Rbs.  

I understand the pick as it pertains to football, but it’s not a good situation when it comes to ff. 

They could have drafted a decent need player at that spot and could have had a shot at Trey Sermon in the 2nd or even 3rd round where thankfully my 49ers were lucky to scoop him up. I