Sign in to follow this  
The Football Guru

Instant Fantasy Analysis - RB Javonte Williams, Broncos

Draft Profile

Team Fit: A trade up is a curious move for the Broncos here, but it makes sense because Williams wasn't going to last much longer. The move suggests they will prioritize running with power moving forward. It also means they are looking to the future with Melvin Gordon getting older. Williams was the last of the top three backs available and perhaps the most powerful of the bunch. How powerful? Pro Football Focus credited him with an FBS-best 75 missed tackles forced on 157 carries. He gained 831 yards after contact (fourth) in 2020. Chris Carson may be the most physical back in the league right now, but he may end up taking a back seat to this kid. As far as power and tackle-breaking ability are concerned, he compares favorably to Marshawn Lynch. Like many power backs, he is not a natural hands-catcher and was charged with three drops on 27 catchable targets (PFF). Williams has exceptional burst for a back of his size (as evidenced by his 27 carries of 15 yards last season), but he only broke three runs of 40-plus runs in his career (two of which came in his final game). Williams may run with so much power that it makes sense to start him out working in a committee, and that appears to be Denver's thinking with another powerful back in Gordon already on the roster.

What does it mean in redraft? RB3. Gordon has not been the picture of health throughout his career, so Williams should serve as a high-end handcuff right away.

Where should I expect him to go in my rookie drafts? Check back next week.

This is another very good ff draft pick, with Lindsay out of the picture, I bet he gains ground on Gordon quickly.  

He’s a must draft depth add for anyone.  

Tar Heel!

I think Denver is a great match for him.

Gordon isn't a guy who is gonna be an every down RB the entire season.

Williams should get the ball at the goal line, and will get plenty of carries otherwise.

He could be one of the better 2nd RBs in a RBBC. Even with the chance to be the first guy, given Gordon's injury history and attitude.

58 minutes ago, polecatt said:

Tar Heel!

I think Denver is a great match for him.

Gordon isn't a guy who is gonna be an every down RB the entire season.

Williams should get the ball at the goal line, and will get plenty of carries otherwise.

He could be one of the better 2nd RBs in a RBBC. Even with the chance to be the first guy, given Gordon's injury history and attitude.

Agreed. 

On 5/2/2021 at 1:15 PM, tanatastic said:

I guess he’s a must draft depth add for anyone who gets Gordon. 

I think you have it backwards. I think they’ll start at 50/50 split and it will trend towards Williams once he can be relied on for pass protection. Gordon is a terrible RB. The only thing keeping him employed is his ability to pass protect. Williams is by far the more dynamic runner.

1 hour ago, LoOnAtIk said:

I think you have it backwards. I think they’ll start at 50/50 split and it will trend towards Williams once he can be relied on for pass protection. Gordon is a terrible RB. The only thing keeping him employed is his ability to pass protect. Williams is by far the more dynamic runner.

Did you know that the Lions waived K Johnson? 

On 5/6/2021 at 12:06 PM, weepaws said:

Did you know that the Lions waived K Johnson? 

Yeah lol I’ve always been a Kerryon nay sayer. He stinks.

Yeah just checking. 

The perfect storm is brewing with Williams…for disappointment. Melvin Gordon is dealing with a groin right now. As such, the fantasy community is about to go apechit over JW and assume he will now ride off into the sunset with workhorse duties and be a discount RB1 and could go as early as rnd 3/4. I’m here to predict that will blow up in your face. Melvin will recover and be the clear RB1 for the Broncos. JW will play a committee role with Freeman as he eases in and eventually maybe settle into Lindsays old role as Robin to Batman.  Melvin is an insane value right now going as late as rnd 9.

Looks like to me in non ppr J W is going high six round and M Gordon is going high seventh round. 

Its about time that the Broncos have said some about Gordon, but I don’t think it wa as groin injury that caused him to miss reporting early on,  and a groin injuries might not just be for right now , they can hinder a player for a while, I think JW as great upside, not to sure he takes over right away, the coach has the luxury have having them both, might as will play them both, but as the season goes forward I see JW and not Gordon being rb 1 for the Broncos. 

Jw is going to make for a very good rb3 , with possible low rb1 upside.