Sign in to follow this  
The Football Guru

2021 Round 5 Instant Fantasy Analysis

5.03 - TE Brevin Jordan, Texans

Team Fit: Most tight ends that are fifth-round draft pick are longshots to be starters at any point in the near future. Such is not the case here, although Jordan isn't a traditional tight end per se. Jordan was always going to be a decent fallback plan for a team that missed out on Kyle Pitts but loved the idea of a tight end with some game-breaking potential. At least in terms of his comfort level in the slot, cutting ability and run-after-catch upside (his 365 yards after the catch led all FBS tight ends in 2020), Jordan is in his class. Also like Pitts, his speed (4.5), ball-tracking and fearlessness over the middle allows him to be a vertical threat. What Jordan lacks is Pitts' massive length, sure hands, route-running and insane contested-catch ability. The Miami (Fla.) product is cut from the same cloth as Jordan Reed and Irv Smith Jr., so he should be able to see the field early in his career as a 6-3, 247-pound mismatch weapon who doesn't mind lowering his pads and running through contact. Jordan Akins has produced a bit and Kahale Warring is a spectacular athlete, but there were products of a previous administration, so Jordan will make the team and is a good bet to produce early on in his career.

What does it mean in redraft? TE2/3. Like Pitts, Jordan is a mismatch weapon who may end up working out of the slot a fair amount when he's on the field. His ability to pick up the offense will determine if that happens in 2021 or 2022.

Where should I expect him to go in my rookie drafts? Check back next week.

5.06 - RB Kenneth Gainwell, Eagles

Team Fit: Gainwell is a sudden and quick runner with the ability to make multiple moves in the whole, but his best feature - and likely the reason Antonio Gibson didn't play more running back in 2019 - is that he presents an instant mismatch whenever he is flexed out into the slot since defenses treat him like a running back. Gainwell was extremely productive in his one season as the lead back for the Tigers, but he was largely neutralized as a runner in Memphis' two postseason games in 2019. (He opted out in 2020.) The 22-year-old doesn't lack for desire in terms of running with power, but he lacks the growth potential to add the kind of muscle to his frame that will allow him to do so in the NFL. As a result, Gainwell's ceiling figures to be as more of an offensive weapon - likely with the ceiling of 10 or so touches per week - capable of breaking big plays in the passing game than a 15-18 carry workhorse. There's a good chance new HC Nick Sirianni views Gainwell as his version of Nyheim Hines, so he becomes an instant threat to Boston Scott's role and may end up stealing a few snaps every game on passing downs from Miles Sanders.

What does it mean in redraft? RB5 and likely handcuff for Sanders. Gainwell figures to be in line for 5-8 touches on a weekly basis for as long as Sanders stays healthy.

5.13 - WR Ihmir Smith-Marsette, Vikings

Team Fit: Smith-Marsette's production makes him appear to be a run-of-the-mill 6-1, 181-pound receiver with 4.4 speed, but that would be a mistake. Iowa does not typically churn out NFL quarterbacks and it's fair to wonder how much Smith-Marsette suffered because of it. The New Jersey native can challenge for kick return duties right away (26.7 average on 57 career kick returns), but he should settle in quickly as a field-stretcher in this offense. While he's not going to overtake Justin Jefferson or Adam Thielen anytime soon, Minnesota presents Smith-Marsette with a nice landing spot for potential third receiver duties right away. (Olabisi Johnson and Chad Beebe is his only real competition at the moment.

What does it mean in redraft? WR6. The Vikings are unlikely to give their third receiver enough snaps to make him relevant in fantasy (especially with Jefferson, Thielen, Irv Smith Jr. and Dalvin Cook soaking up targets), but he may only be one injury away from being worth an add in deeper leagues.