Sign in to follow this  
Super Cubs

Myles Gaskin

Is he the top RB in Miami this season?

He seems to have survived the draft and most of free agency.  There are still some names out there but no real game changers. Maybe Gurley? 

I guess we'll see in camp if he can stay ahead of Malcolm Brown, but it sure looks like an RBBC kind of a deal in Miami.

They drafted a RB in the 7th round, which probably means little except Gaskin himself was a 7th rounder, so who knows...

Gaskins is the guy to have on your team from the Dolphins at RB. I don't think he is quite durable enough to do it all by himself but he'll be the main guy.

I think Malcolm Brown will get just enough of the share to knock Gaskins down a small notch or two though.

I see Gaskins as a low end RB2 in PPR, or a decent flex play. Excellent RB depth, first off the bench type.

Kind of like a poor man's Alvin Kamara

• Like 1

Non ppr I think he could be a high rb 2. 

On 5/2/2021 at 4:59 PM, AxeElf said:

I guess we'll see in camp if he can stay ahead of Malcolm Brown, but it sure looks like an RBBC kind of a deal in Miami.

It wasn’t an RBBC at all last year so why would you suggest adding Brown wouldn’t merely be for depth? Gaskin took on a hefty amount of touches every game he started and was pretty solid considering Tua and lack of weapons around him. I’d bet anything Brown isn’t competing with him, just merely depth if Gaskin gets hurt and misses extensive time like last year.

I think Gaskin is a sexy sleeper pick for this year. Dolphins offense should be vastly improved and Gaskin should definitely benefit.

On 5/2/2021 at 9:58 PM, polecatt said:

Gaskins is the guy to have on your team from the Dolphins at RB. I don't think he is quite durable enough to do it all by himself but he'll be the main guy.

I think Malcolm Brown will get just enough of the share to knock Gaskins down a small notch or two though.

I see Gaskins as a low end RB2 in PPR, or a decent flex play. Excellent RB depth, first off the bench type.

Kind of like a poor man's Alvin Kamara

He passed the eye test for me. I saw great improvement in him from his rookie season and last season but unfortunately he got hurt. It’s hard to say if injuries will be a trend for him but he was great when he was on the field. Dolphins offense should be much improved so that should only help.

2 hours ago, LoOnAtIk said:

He passed the eye test for me. I saw great improvement in him from his rookie season and last season but unfortunately he got hurt. It’s hard to say if injuries will be a trend for him but he was great when he was on the field. Dolphins offense should be much improved so that should only help.

I think that's gonna be his Achilles heel. Durability. He's only like 190 lbs.

I don't think talent is the issue, he's shown he can be an excellent RB, both running and receiving, but RBs under 200 lbs don't often see a full workload and stay healthy.

4 hours ago, LoOnAtIk said:

It wasn’t an RBBC at all last year

Maybe we just have different definitions of a RBBC.

The Dolphins rushed for 1,688 yards as a team last year; no RB had more than 584 rushing yards individually.  The team scored 15 rushing TDs; no individual RB had more than 4 (and the guy who had the most yardage was not the same guy who scored the most TDs).  To ME, that's a RBBC, but if you want to go with a "bellcow" that got 584 yards and 3 TDs, be my guest.

why would you suggest adding Brown wouldn’t merely be for depth?

Because Brown is probly a better RB than anyone they had on the roster last year, except possibly Gaskin, and because the team showed a willingness to go RBBC last year (at least by my standards).

I’d bet anything Brown isn’t competing with him

That's a bet you'd lose already, since they are in competition simply by being on the same team.

Gaskins should be looked at as a high rb2 non ppr 

The Dolphins Rbs accounted for 1353 rush yards and 10 of those 15 rush tds and they had 348 rush att. 

Gaskins played in ten games, he avg 58.4 rush yards per game, if you avg that over a 16 game season, he would have had 934 rush yards, which would be 69% of the rush yards generation from the Dolphins rb, and he avg 14 rush att per game in his ten healthy games, if you avg that over 16 games, he would have had 227 rush att, the Dolphins Rbs had 348 rush att last season, so his 227 rush att would have been 65% of the teams total rush att.  

With Tua at Qb goal line tds might be a problem, but of the ten rush tds that we’re scored by Rbs on the Dolphins last season, 4 where by J Howard who is now with the Eagles.  

I would have no problem taking Gaskin as a high rb2 non ppr, plus he’s going be the third down rb also.  

I agree that M Brown is the better back up rb based on you was on the Dolphins last season, but he’s going to be the rb2, I don’t see him being a rb1b option. 

Thanks  

2 hours ago, weepaws said:

The Dolphins Rbs accounted for 1353 rush yards and 10 of those 15 rush tds and they had 348 rush att. 

Gaskins played in ten games, he avg 58.4 rush yards per game, if you avg that over a 16 game season, he would have had 934 rush yards, which would be 69% of the rush yards generation from the Dolphins rb, and he avg 14 rush att per game in his ten healthy games, if you avg that over 16 games, he would have had 227 rush att, the Dolphins Rbs had 348 rush att last season, so his 227 rush att would have been 65% of the teams total rush att.  

With Tua at Qb goal line tds might be a problem, but of the ten rush tds that we’re scored by Rbs on the Dolphins last season, 4 where by J Howard who is now with the Eagles.  

I would have no problem taking Gaskin as a high rb2 non ppr, plus he’s going be the third down rb also.  

I agree that M Brown is the better back up rb based on you was on the Dolphins last season, but he’s going to be the rb2, I don’t see him being a rb1b option. 

Thanks  

Malcolm Brown is like 30 lbs heavier. He's a bit more of a between the tackles kind of guy while Gaskin is more of a finesse back.

They're a perfect compliment. This has committee written all over it

1 hour ago, polecatt said:

Malcolm Brown is like 30 lbs heavier. He's a bit more of a between the tackles kind of guy while Gaskin is more of a finesse back.

They're a perfect compliment. This has committee written all over it

That’s why I think goal line carries might be a problem, between Tua and Brown. 

But Gaskin is going be a three down back, with Brown being what he has been, a back up fill in give the rb1 a break type rb. 

Plus Brown should see goal line work. 

You see him as a low rb2 ppr, I see him as a high rb2 non ppr, even with what could be limited use near the goal line.  

17 minutes ago, weepaws said:

That’s why I think goal line carries might be a problem, between Tua and Brown. 

But Gaskin is going be a three down back, with Brown being what he has been, a back up fill in give the rb1 a break type rb. 

Plus Brown should see goal line work. 

You see him as a low rb2 ppr, I see him as a high rb1 non ppr, even with what could be limited use near the goal line.  

A high RB1?

You mean up there with McCaffrey, Henry, and Cook? Guys like that?

I just don't see that. Or at least, it's real long shot.

5 minutes ago, polecatt said:

A high RB1?

You mean up there with McCaffrey, Henry, and Cook? Guys like that?

I just don't see that. Or at least, it's real long shot.

Nope sorry, I corrected my mistake, high rb2.  

Oh ok, that makes more sense

8 hours ago, AxeElf said:

The Dolphins rushed for 1,688 yards as a team last year; no RB had more than 584 rushing yards individually.  The team scored 15 rushing TDs; no individual RB had more than 4 (and the guy who had the most yardage was not the same guy who scored the most TDs).  To ME, that's a RBBC, but if you want to go with a "bellcow" that got 584 yards and 3 TDs, be my guest.

Because Brown is probly a better RB than anyone they had on the roster last year, except possibly Gaskin, and because the team showed a willingness to go RBBC last year (at least by my standards).

That's a bet you'd lose already, since they are in competition simply by being on the same team.

well,  is not like  Miami had a choice.  when he #1  guy is out, it nearly always becomes a RBBC no matter the  team.

that being  said  I would be interested in knowing the  breakdown in carries in  games  where  Gaskin is  playing.   That would  tell us if this is likely a RBBC or not.

I'll be honest  I'm too  lazy  to  run the   numbers  right  now.  I'll  try to  get those  later if time  permits  or if  someone else  doesnt do it first.

17 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

well,  is not like  Miami had a choice.  when he #1  guy is out, it nearly always becomes a RBBC no matter the  team.

that being  said  I would be interested in knowing the  breakdown in carries in  games  where  Gaskin is  playing.   That would  tell us if this is likely a RBBC or not.

I'll be honest  I'm too  lazy  to  run the   numbers  right  now.  I'll  try to  get those  later if time  permits  or if  someone else  doesnt do it first.

Meh, you can split frog hairs all you like--but nobody really knows what will happen---not even the Miami coaches, at this point, I would guess.

Gaskin showed decent talent, but it's not like he doesn't have some competition, especially at the goalline, as the coaching staff showed the willingness to use Jordan Howard almost exclusively in that role last season.  If you think Gaskin becomes the bellcow, you take the swing.

Axe Elf recommends against it, unless you get really good value or something.  For my draft capital, I'd take Mike Davis at that price any day.

By the time drafts start rolling, M Davis is going to be a rb1, Gaskin is a rb2, so I would hope  everyone takes a rb1 over a rb2. 

ok  I had  some time so I went through his season.   Interesting season.

I honestly thought

so the Phins started with Gaskin Brieda and Jordan Howard.   what many thought was a true committee.

he starts week 1 and 2 against NE and Buf (two tough defenses) and he has 50 and 54% of the touches respectively but I classified these as committee games because he didnt dominate the backfield.  week 3 he gets 81% of the RB touches and from this point toweek 17 he dominates touches.   most games ranging from around 60% of touches up to 77%.  eyeballing it, I'd say he was gppd fpr 70% of touches in all these games Despite the emergence of Salvon Ahmed while he was injured.

so this kid faced some challenges to the starting role but fought off each challenge.

the only funky week was week 17 vs buffalo.   Miami got crushed badly in the game and he only got 38% of the carries.   That being said, it was an odd gamescript and I dont know that this is what I'd refer to as typical.

interestingly enough from what I saw it actually looked like Gaskins grew as ta player as the season wore on.

at the beginning his yards per catch were pretty low.    towards the end of the season those yards per catch went up substantially.   it looks like he went from being a checkdown option for the QB to a player who is gameplanned into the pass game.  I'd have to watch some tape and get some play count data as well, but it looks like this kids role grew steadily.

they did Bring in Brown from the Rams but I dont know that hes a significant threat to him for touches.  No more than Brieda and Howard were.

so I am forced to conclude we should count on him to remain the starter.   My only concern is with respect to his ability to stay healthy.

I think when hes in the lineup hes getting at least 2/3 of the touches the vast majority of the time.   If you exclude the first 2 games where I feel this was a committee His numbers as a starter are even more impressive.

Here is my conclusion:

if hes healthy, hes a borderline #1 RB (if the matchup is good hes a #1.  if its bad, hes likely a #2)  

when you factor in his health it didnt look great, but then I checked to see what happened.  Looks like a high ankle sprain- a bad injury for RB's.   I was going to downgrade him for health, but I checked his injury history.  he was surprisingly durable in college.  didnt miss games due to injury from what I could tell.   At this point I am forced to think this may be a one off injury. He was durable in college.

so if you think still that he may be injury prone, I guess you downgrade him to draft him as a low end RB2.   If you dont downgrade for the injury hes a high end RB2.

I will be looking into more detail his usage in his last 3-5 starts.   I am interested in seeing his usage as a pass catching back.  Maybe there are some miami homers who know better.  What I want to know is if his usage actually did change in those last few games when his yards per catch went up drastically.    What I am seeing in the stats makes me think he went from a checkdown option to an actual primary read in some parts of the pass game.   This is a nice evolution of his game if that is the case as his upside could be that of a low end RB1.

48 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

ok  I had  some time so I went through his season.   Interesting season.

I honestly thought

so the Phins started with Gaskin Brieda and Jordan Howard.   what many thought was a true committee.

he starts week 1 and 2 against NE and Buf (two tough defenses) and he has 50 and 54% of the touches respectively but I classified these as committee games because he didnt dominate the backfield.  week 3 he gets 81% of the RB touches and from this point toweek 17 he dominates touches.   most games ranging from around 60% of touches up to 77%.  eyeballing it, I'd say he was gppd fpr 70% of touches in all these games Despite the emergence of Salvon Ahmed while he was injured.

so this kid faced some challenges to the starting role but fought off each challenge.

the only funky week was week 17 vs buffalo.   Miami got crushed badly in the game and he only got 38% of the carries.   That being said, it was an odd gamescript and I dont know that this is what I'd refer to as typical.

interestingly enough from what I saw it actually looked like Gaskins grew as ta player as the season wore on.

at the beginning his yards per catch were pretty low.    towards the end of the season those yards per catch went up substantially.   it looks like he went from being a checkdown option for the QB to a player who is gameplanned into the pass game.  I'd have to watch some tape and get some play count data as well, but it looks like this kids role grew steadily.

they did Bring in Brown from the Rams but I dont know that hes a significant threat to him for touches.  No more than Brieda and Howard were.

so I am forced to conclude we should count on him to remain the starter.   My only concern is with respect to his ability to stay healthy.

I think when hes in the lineup hes getting at least 2/3 of the touches the vast majority of the time.   If you exclude the first 2 games where I feel this was a committee His numbers as a starter are even more impressive.

Here is my conclusion:

if hes healthy, hes a borderline #1 RB (if the matchup is good hes a #1.  if its bad, hes likely a #2)  

when you factor in his health it didnt look great, but then I checked to see what happened.  Looks like a high ankle sprain- a bad injury for RB's.   I was going to downgrade him for health, but I checked his injury history.  he was surprisingly durable in college.  didnt miss games due to injury from what I could tell.   At this point I am forced to think this may be a one off injury. He was durable in college.

so if you think still that he may be injury prone, I guess you downgrade him to draft him as a low end RB2.   If you dont downgrade for the injury hes a high end RB2.

I will be looking into more detail his usage in his last 3-5 starts.   I am interested in seeing his usage as a pass catching back.  Maybe there are some miami homers who know better.  What I want to know is if his usage actually did change in those last few games when his yards per catch went up drastically.    What I am seeing in the stats makes me think he went from a checkdown option to an actual primary read in some parts of the pass game.   This is a nice evolution of his game if that is the case as his upside could be that of a low end RB1.

Nice job Ray, I agree with your findings, I posted invoice # 26705.  

Ray he also had the 12th most rec by a rb. So if you avg that out over 16 games that’s 65 rec , third best among rbs

I don’t have any more concern of an injury to him as I would for Barkley or even Mccaffery, they can happen to any player, my biggest concern his is lack of td production, based on my 14 team non ppr,  Howard scored 4 rushing tds and he had about 30 rush att, and I agree that M Brown is about 20 lbs bigger so I think Brown will resume that role as the short yardage goal line rb, plus Tua is bound to steal some also. 

22 hours ago, AxeElf said:

Clearly we do. Maybe you need to check the game logs or box scores but in the games that Gaskin started he wasn’t sharing with anyone. Even Salvon Ahmed received over 20 carries in 2 of the 4 games that he started. 

How is that a RBBC?

3 minutes ago, LoOnAtIk said:

How is that a RBBC?

If you're going to keep asking the same question, you're going to keep getting the same answer.

Just now, AxeElf said:

If you're going to keep asking the same question, you're going to keep getting the same answer.

That’s idiotic. It doesn’t factor in touches per game. You’re just summing it all up as if that paints the entire picture. Did you even read RayT’s response? 

You’re being dense as usual but this take is just borderline dumb. Find one game where Gaskin or Ahmed or Breida shared carries evenly.

3 minutes ago, LoOnAtIk said:

Did you even read RayT’s response?

Yay--a different question!

Yes, I did.

4 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Yay--a different question!

Yes, I did.

Which week did they share carries evenly?

14 minutes ago, LoOnAtIk said:

week 17,  I mentioned that in my comments.  but the game script was far from typical.  it was a blowout loss.

1 hour ago, LoOnAtIk said:

You realize that a "committee" does not mean "sharing carries equally," right?

Good, so let's not change the subject.

No RBBC concern , Gaskin will be the Dolphins rb1.  

14 team non ppr, he’s a high rb2, if he can score tds, he would be a low rb1.  

Thanks. 

5 hours ago, weepaws said:

No RBBC concern , Gaskin will be the Dolphins rb1.  

14 team non ppr, he’s a high rb2, if he can score tds, he would be a low rb1.  

Thanks. 

agreed.  when Gaskin got  hurt  someone else  stepped in to be  the  RB1.  

and yes,  the  lack  of  TD's  makes him  a  RB2.    PPR hes  borderiing  on RB1 but  I'd  still  draft as a  high end RB2

2 hours ago, Ray_T said:

agreed.  when Gaskin got  hurt  someone else  stepped in to be  the  RB1.  

and yes,  the  lack  of  TD's  makes him  a  RB2.    PPR hes  borderiing  on RB1 but  I'd  still  draft as a  high end RB2

Would agree about his ranking in a ppr, I think he’s a low rb1 in a ppr league.  

Miami sure likes 7th rd RBS.

Myles worked his way up the depth chart and finished well after coming back from injury. I don’t know that true rbbc will apply here, but will see if he holds off Brown and Ahmed in training camp.

Don’t think Brown or Ahmed our any threat to replace Gaskin or even share with Gaskin starting rb duty’s 

Brown hasn’t shown much in his previous six nfl season , Ahmed did have two nice games filling in last season, but back to the bench once Gaskin return. 

I find it amusing that so many of you are convinced that Gaskin is going to be some kind of bell-cow or RB1/RB2. The Dolphins are so invested in Gaskin that they were reportedly prepared to draft Javonte Williams at the beginning of round 2, when Denver jumped in front of them to steal him away. Gaskin is still the likely back to own, but to declare him a 2nd or 3rd round pick in fantasy drafts, in may, is highly amusing...

Yet the Dolphins didn’t draft nor pick up a replacement, so likely nothing, Gaskin is going to be the rb to own with the Dolphins. 

And Gaskins ff production in both non ppr and ppr based on avg points per game, clearly points out that he’s worthy of what I think is a high rb 2. 

Now with that said I’m looking at round 3.  

But I hope is stock indeed falls and others in my non ppr 14 team league also think he’s not worthy of that pick, and I can maybe even steal him in the 4th round.  

I think any talk of ff in May is fun and something to do, plus it gives those that simply like to mock everyone a chance to do so it keeps a site like ff today in business lol.  

Thanks. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Yet the Dolphins didn’t draft nor pick up a replacement, so likely nothing, Gaskin is going to be the rb to own with the Dolphins. 

And Gaskins ff production in both non ppr and ppr based on avg points per game, clearly points out that he’s worthy of what I think is a high rb 2. 

Now with that said I’m looking at round 3.  

But I hope is stock indeed falls and others in my non ppr 14 team league also think he’s not worthy of that pick, and I can maybe even steal him in the 4th round.  

I think any talk of ff in May is fun and something to do, plus it gives those that simply like to mock everyone a chance to do so it keeps a site like ff today in business lol.  

Thanks. 

Nice hedge. Maybe by the start of Training Camp you'll have him down to a 5th rounder...

Welcome.

Maybe even a 6th round and a rb3, one doesn’t hold much stock on a player in May, everyone involved in this conversation knows that, mmm will not you of course. And since your so against talking ff in May leave. Now stop coming in here and go play cards, it doesn’t take any smarts to play cards, you can relax your mind . 

Ps post all the other teams that were also hoping that J Williams would fall to them in the draft, than we can all   down grading those Rbs also. 

Thanks  

7 hours ago, jrokh said:

I find it amusing that so many of you are convinced that Gaskin is going to be some kind of bell-cow or RB1/RB2. The Dolphins are so invested in Gaskin that they were reportedly prepared to draft Javonte Williams at the beginning of round 2, when Denver jumped in front of them to steal him away. Gaskin is still the likely back to own, but to declare him a 2nd or 3rd round pick in fantasy drafts, in may, is highly amusing...

Well, a teams actions speak louder than words.

And Draft Day rumours are just that.  Rumours.

San Fran was also supposed to draft Mac Jones.

At the end of the day RB position was not deemed to be a high enough priority to spend a high draft pick on it.

This team has a lot of high picks coming up in the next 2-3 years.   A LOT.

when you have a bounty like they now seem to have, the smart move is to draft the positions that take more time to develop and are harder to fill.

RB's is a postion you can usually plug and play.  if a first round RB sits it is usually due to subpar pass protection.  But that is usually fixed in less than a season.

It would not surprise me if the phins replace Gaskin at some point.  Especially if Gaskin has a weaker season next year or gets injured again.  But if he puts up the numbers he just did, over a full season, I cant see him going anywhere.

Good news is, Miami has time to evaluate this.  Right now Ahmed is the only back with even a remote chance of replacing Gaskin, but as mentioned before.  The minute Gaskin was Healthy, Ahmed went to the bench.

To me, that shows where Miami sits on this issue.

So if Miami is to replace Gaskin, they need to make a trade or sign someone.   I dont know that I see anyone they would sign at this point that can relegate him to the bench. 

Honestly I think Miami has the luxury of being able to wait on addressing the RB position.  I think its another year until their potential superbowl window opens up.  You could argue it is already open, but I think Miami has a bit more work before they are truly ready.  Next year is when I expect this team to make a run.  Not this year.

Gaskin is the man (for this year at least)

If this situation changes it will quickly be obvious as This team tends to really lean on their starting RB.

• Like 1

The Dolphins are so invested in Myles Gaskin that they tried to claim Kerryon Johnson...

Sure they wanted to add depth, I mean how much invested our the Raiders with Jacobs, they went out and sign Drake. 

In todays nfl rb depth seems to be the way these teams go, more the better. 

Oh no didn’t the Panthers draft a rb to back up Mccaffery, darn their goes his top three  draft spot.  And didn’t the Gmen pick up D Booker after losing depth with Gallman moving on , oh no the sky is falling . 

Some people like the poster above just like to make noise.  Blah Blah Blah  

Thanks.