Sign in to follow this  
peenie

Anybody been to Tulum or Cancun?

Any hotel recommendations? I know we're still in Covid but when things open up I'm planning a visit there. 

Or Playa del Carmen?

9 minutes ago, peenie said:

Any hotel recommendations? I know we're still in Covid but when things open up I'm planning a visit there. 

Wife and I had our honeymoon in Cancun but that was about 27 years ago. We stayed in the "hotel zone" though. 

Activity-wise definitely do a day trip to Chichen Itza.  We also did a trip to Tulum/Xel-Ha for snorkeling.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, fandandy said:

Who are you going with?

My sister or by myself.

5 minutes ago, posty said:

Hell no...  Why would anyone want to go to Mexico...

It’s not as bad as the news and politicians would lead you to believe. Certain areas are clearly not safe but others are not only beautiful but some of the safest cities in North America.

Just now, peenie said:

It’s not as bad as the news and politicians would lead you to believe. Certain areas are clearly not safe but others are not only beautiful but some of the safest cities in North America.

Still not a good enough reason to go...

37 minutes ago, DonS said:

Wife and I had our honeymoon in Cancun but that was about 27 years ago. We stayed in the "hotel zone" though. 

Activity-wise definitely do a day trip to Chichen Itza.  We also did a trip to Tulum/Xel-Ha for snorkeling.  :thumbsup:

This is basically what we did back in 1998 or so for a company incentive trip.  Hotel was in the hotel zone of Cancun, no idea which one but we didn’t need a car, just walked to various bars and activities.  Went to one of the two ruins mentioned, can’t remember which one, the smaller I think which is near the water vs. inland.  Is that Tulum?  It was worth seeing, although the ride on a Mexican bus was... not luxurious.

Just now, jerryskids said:

This is basically what we did back in 1998 or so for a company incentive trip.  Hotel was in the hotel zone of Cancun, no idea which one but we didn’t need a car, just walked to various bars and activities.  Went to one of the two ruins mentioned, can’t remember which one, the smaller I think which is near the water vs. inland.  Is that Tulum?  It was worth seeing, although the ride on a Mexican bus was... not luxurious.

Tulum is on the coast while Chichen Itza is the inland one.   The trip to Chichen Itza was certainly a long and sweaty bus ride, though!

• Like 1

I honeymooned in Playa del Carmen.  Can't remember which resort.  The beaches were beautiful.  In hindsight, I wish we had paid more and got an ocean view room with a balcony.  We were kinda stuck in the back forty.  Do the snorkeling excursion.  Supposedly it is the second-largest coral reef in the world and was absolutely awesome.  I fell in love with snorkeling.  You can also, depending on how long you are there, get "certified" to scuba dive.  They would "train" people in one of the resort pools at different times.  We didn't see the ruins but did go to Xel Ha which was also pretty awesome and my ex swam with dolphins which was amazing to watch.

If you want I'll go with you but you have to pay my way and no sex until the second date which would basically be like after dinner the first day we are there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, DonS said:

Tulum is on the coast while Chichen Itza is the inland one.   The trip to Chichen Itza was certainly a long and sweaty bus ride, though!

That was my first sales incentive trip.  Past years had apparently been to more exotic locales like Hawaii so some people were like “pffftt, what is this slum trip?!”  I thought “hmm, free vacation to a beach resort, yeah I’m going to complain!”

My wife was pregnant with our second child; she was super fit for that pregnancy and wore a leopard-skin bathing suit that we still talk about.  The wife of the Sales VP thought she was the cutest thing.  She didn’t drink of course, so since we weren’t driving anywhere the group called her our “designated sober person.”

One night we went to a dance club which had a bunch of girls in various states of undress spread throughout the place getting guys to dance.  I learned that night that if Mexico has a drinking age they don’t enforce it, and by “girls” I mean maybe 15 years old.  One guy in our group was like “holy shiot you are the same age as my son!”  :lol: 

I also learned on that trip that you can drink a lot of tequila and not have a hangover, if it is good tequila.  :cheers: 

2 hours ago, posty said:

Hell no...  Why would anyone want to go to Mexico...

It's a tropical vacation and it's affordable.  There are better options but I don't think I'd turn down a trip to Cancun.  I think we're planning on going to Dominican Republic next fall.

6 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Is she hot and does she do BJs?

And does she have nice bewbs? Might as well list all of the important criteria.  :cheers:

11 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

And does she have nice bewbs? Might as well list all of the important criteria.  :cheers:

I’m an ass man :) 

3 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

I’m an ass man :) 

I'm just saying if we are going to give peenie a hard time about beejers, we may as well pile on about her breasteses. 

28 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I'm just saying if we are going to give peenie a hard time about beejers, we may as well pile on about her breasteses. 

True.

Also while I’m still an ass man, I have come to appreciate a great set of t1ts more in my old(er) age :cheers:

20 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

True.

Also while I’m still an ass man, I have come to appreciate a great set of t1ts more in my old(er) age :cheers:

Figured this was a good time for this cross post in case anyone missed it... 

Spring Break in the 90s.  We stayed in downtown Cancun.  Do not do that, do not leave the hotel zone.  We got shook down by a scam between our bus driver and the cops.  No bueno.

16 minutes ago, DonS said:

Figured this was a good time for this cross post in case anyone missed it... 

Jesus :wub:

I've been twice. Once to cancun once to playa del Carmen. Was in playa about 4 years ago. 

I'd recommend playa for you. Cancun is mostly just a sleazy party town (although God knows how covid has changed things)

We stayed at generations riviera Maya by Karisma. Extremely nice. There is an infinity pool on the balcony of each room and you have a personal butler. There are some killer restaurants on property. The beach blows there though, and while I don't know, I'm sure it is expensive as fock. 

2 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

I’m an ass, man :) 

Edited for accuracy.  

:)

• Haha 1

Cancun is a great, inexpensive getaway. A shorter ride from the airport than Playa. Grand Royal Solaris is a decent stay. All inclusive with multiple restaurants. The beach is nice. All inclusive food & drink on the beach is a nice plus.

Schedule a bus from the airport to hotel before you leave and you are set. 
I’d schedule a Greylne tour to the Mayan ruins for one day- definitely a trip to think about how old that area is. Our last tour stopped at a village on the way there, and a real Mayan village for lunch on the way home. It was a good day.

I prefer to go in March or April, before it really starts heating up.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fireballer said:

Spring Break in the 90s.  We stayed in downtown Cancun.  Do not do that, do not leave the hotel zone.  We got shook down by a scam between our bus driver and the cops.  No bueno.

I agree that you shouldn't head to downtown Cancun. Especially if you no habla Español.

When we were in Cancun for our honeymoon we heard about a cool restaurant called Pericos so we received some directions from a person at the hotel (in the safe hotel zone) and grabbed a bus.  This was 27 years ago so no smart phones with Google maps to help. We got on the bus and said "Pericos" to the bus driver and he nodded.  We then sat our ignorant gringo asses down and enjoyed the ride.  After awhile the bus driver yelled something out.  We didn't understand so we ignored him. Thankfully a local behind us spoke English and told us that the next stop was for us. We got off the bus and kinda wandered thru some back alleys until we found the place. 

Dinner was awesome.  Was a very cool place and we're so glad we went.

(Peenie - looks like it might be closed now as when I Google it said "closed permanently" 😢

Afterwards we tried to catch what we thought was the bus back to the hotel zone but ended up getting dropped off at the end of the line.  Was a bit scary but we eventually got sorted out.

Nowadays I'm sure we would've been robbed or killed.  Probably both. 

• Thanks 1

We stayed in Cozumel and went to Tulum. 

Stayed at the Del Presidente. It is outside of town a little, and has private beaches. If you have a sandwich baggie full of green peas, the fish will spot you before you reach the water. The hotel cooked two mahi-mahi I caught and served them on a silver plater. We did a catamaran cruise, and they pulled us behind the boat on a long rope for snorkeling. 

Our guide for the Tulum trip, was a non-stop Mayan info center. He told us that the Mayans mixed blood with their mortar. It makes the mix 20 times stronger. A flood took out all the modern  city walls, and left the ancient walls standing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The wife and I are heading to Playa del Carmen in March with a group of people.  It will be my first time there.  It looks like a great place to vacation.

• Like 1

I've been to Cozumel, and the snorkeling there is ridiculous. It has the world's second-largest barrier reef, which is incredibly colorful thanks to the fish and coral. 

Mexico's tourist places aren't dangerous. The government makes sure of that.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Pimpadeaux said:

I've been to Cozumel, and the snorkeling there is ridiculous. It has the world's second-largest barrier reef, which is incredibly colorful thanks to the fish and coral. 

We're staying in the Playacar area which looks to be a gated community.  Looks very safe.

3 hours ago, Pimpadeaux said:

The snorkeling sux now. Most of the coral got washed away after a hurricane. Just flat sand; like parking lots, with a little coral here and there. 

ETA: I didn't google it, but I think the 2nd largest barrier reef is Belize. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

The wife and I are heading to Playa del Carmen in March with a group of people.  It will be my first time there.  It looks like a great place to vacation.

Haven't been there specifically but I've been to Cancun, Tulum, and twice to Cozumel.  Cozumel was OK, but I suspect not much different than the beach experience where you are staying. It has some fun water/beach parks. Tulum is worth seeing, and isn't too far from Playa (it was a bit of a PITA bus ride from Cancun).  Cancun I'd go to if you want some nightlife.  Have fun!  :cheers: 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

Maybe we did go to Xcaret on our Cancun trip.  Seems like probably.  There was a lot of tequila drunk on that trip; in fact that is where I learned that good tequila does not leave you hung over the next morning.  :cheers: 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BiPolarBear said:

The snorkeling sux now. Most of the coral got washed away after a hurricane. Just flat sand; like parking lots, with a little coral here and there. 

ETA: I didn't google it, but I think the 2nd largest barrier reef is Belize. 

https://www.cancunadventure.net/blog/cozumel-reef-park/

The Coral Reef National Park in Cozumel measures 22km in length and is part of the so called “Mesoamerican Barrier Reef system”, considered the second largest in the world. It measures more than 1000km in length and stretches from the east coast of the Yucatan peninsula towards Belize, ending at the Bay Islands in Honduras.

I guess it's part of the same reef system.

:dunno:

I didn't know about the hurricane damage, and from what I just read, the damage was along the shoreline.

When we went, we took a boat out to about where it drops off into the abyss.

1 hour ago, Pimpadeaux said:

I didn't know about the hurricane damage, and from what I just read, the damage was along the shoreline.

drift dives in cozumel were fantastic 20 + years ago.

2 hours ago, Pimpadeaux said:

That's my bad on the Cozumel/Belize coral. I just remembered Belize saying they had it. Never occurred to my simple ass it was the same.