JustinCharge

2021 - the year of shortages of goods and services?

Summer 2021 in America could see shortages of a slew of goods from gasoline to chicken as the supply chain has been disrupted by COVID.  Pent-up demand has caused people to panic buy, driving supplies low.  Plus, stimulus checks discourage people from taking service jobs, meaning restaurants struggle to find cashiers or waitresses and shipping companies cannot find experienced and certified truckers.  America in the 1980s adopted Japan's "just-in-time" or "kanban" management protocol to have just enough goods produced for just enough orders and just enough distribution.  But its weakness is massive disuption in the chain which we could see in 2021. 

https://abc30.com/us-shortages-gas-shortage-2021-food-coming-chicken/10598712/

So many shortages! List of major consumer goods affected by supply chain interruptions

CNNWire
By Jordan Valinsky, CNN Business
Saturday, May 8, 2021 10:01AM

NEW YORK -- Chicken, lumber, microchips, gas, steel, metals, chlorine and ketchup packets: What do they all have in common? They're all (nearly) impossible to find.

Shortages are popping up across the supply chain as the pandemic messes with shipping, demand, supply and all the other levers of the global economy.

Chicken

The fried chicken wars are putting a strain on the poultry population. Major chains, including KFC, Buffalo Wild Wings and Wingstop, are "paying steep prices" for chicken and suppliers are having trouble keeping up demand because of difficulties attracting workers, the Wall Street Journal reported this week.

Some restaurants removed chicken tenders and Nashville Hot flavored chicken items from menus at some restaurants because of limited supply, WSJ reported.

Chlorine

Chlorine supplies are running low due to a fire at a chemical plant in Louisiana last August that was damaged by Hurricane Laura. As a result, prices for tabs have skyrocketed. A quick look at Amazon shows that a 50-pound bucket of 3-inch chlorine tablets from the In the Swim brand now costs as much as $169.99, about double the normal cost.

Computer chips

In the market for a new car, smartphone or washing machine this year? A global shortage of computer chips could mean you have to wait a while - and pay more.

Several factors are driving the crunch, which was initially concentrated in the auto industry. The first is the pandemic, which plunged the global economy into recession last year, upending supply chains and changing consumer shopping patterns. Car makers cut back orders for chips while tech companies, whose products were boosted by lockdown living, snapped up as many as they could.

The shortage is going from bad to worse, spreading from cars to consumer electronics. With the bulk of chip production concentrated in a handful of suppliers, analysts warn that the crunch is likely to last through 2021.

Gasoline

Millions of people stuck at home for more than a year are expected to hit the road for much-needed post-pandemic vacations this summer. But good luck finding gas.

It's not that there's a looming shortage of crude oil or gasoline. Rather, it's the tanker truck drivers needed to deliver the gas to stations who are in short supply.

Ketchup

Shortages of ketchup - specifically in packets that often come with your to-go order - started popping up around the country last summer, and the plot has thickened.

How did this happen? It started with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention discouraging traditional, dine-in service at restaurants and suggesting more pandemic-friendly options like delivery and takeout instead.

Metals

As countries switch to green energy, demand for copper, lithium, nickel, cobalt and rare earth elements is soaring.

But they are all vulnerable to price volatility and shortages, the International Energy Agency warned in a report published this week, because their supply chains are opaque, the quality of available deposits is declining and mining companies face stricter environmental and social standards.

Steel

Steel is just the latest shortage to hit the US economy as it recovers from a pandemic that scrambled supply chains and set off sharp shifts in demand.

Much like lumber, the steel industry was caught off guard by the rapid recovery in demand that began last summer - especially in the auto industry. "All of a sudden people were buying lots of cars," said Tanners, the Bank of America analyst.

And it took time for America's aging steel mills to resume the production they had sharply cut at the onset of the pandemic. Steel inventories shrank rapidly and shipments were delayed, just as steel buyers began ordering more than usual.

Lumber

As the pandemic crushed the US economy last spring, sawmills shut down lumber production to brace for a housing slump. The slump never arrived and now there isn't enough lumber to feed the red-hot housing market.

The shortage is delaying construction of badly needed new homes, complicating renovations of existing ones and causing sticker shock for buyers in what was already a scorching market.

Random-length lumber futures hit a record high of $1,615 on Tuesday, a staggering sevenfold gain from the low in early April 2020. That's a big deal because lumber is the most substantial product that home builders buy.

What Is Just-in-Time (JIT)?

The just-in-time (JIT) inventory system is a management strategy that aligns raw-material orders from suppliers directly with production schedules. Companies employ this inventory strategy to increase efficiency and decrease waste by receiving goods only as they need them for the production process, which reduces inventory costs. This method requires producers to forecast demand accurately.

• The just-in-time (JIT) inventory system is a management strategy that minimizes inventory and increases efficiency.
  • Just-in-time manufacturing is also known as the Toyota Production System (TPS) because the car manufacturer Toyota adopted the system in the 1970s.
  • Kanban is a scheduling system often used in conjunction with JIT to avoid overcapacity of work in process.
  • The success of the JIT production process relies on steady production, high-quality workmanship, no machine breakdowns, and reliable suppliers.

Apparently the word is big shortages of gasoline in the southeast US this week due to a cyberattack.

20 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

Apparently the word is big shortages of gasoline in the southeast US this week due to a cyberattack.

When the story broke this weekend about the cyber attack on the pipeline, my insta-thought was now the MSM will use this as the cover all excuse for surging energy prices that was already well underway due to Biden's policies. My next thought was, the attack was probably done on Biden's behalf for that very reason. I'm 100% convinced of the first thought - it's a sure thing that the media will use this to to provide blame for the inflated cost of energy and give Biden cover. As for the second thought, it's simply sad that it wouldn't surprise me if this was done by someone trying to provide an excuse that can be used to manipulate the public not to blame our President for the crisis that was already building.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

When the story broke this weekend about the cyber attack on the pipeline, my insta-thought was now the MSM will use this as the cover all excuse for surging energy prices that was already well underway due to Biden's policies. My next thought was, the attack was probably done on Biden's behalf for that very reason. I'm 100% convinced of the first thought - it's a sure thing that the media will use this to to provide blame for the inflated cost of energy and give Biden cover. As for the second thought, it's simply sad that it wouldn't surprise me if this was done by someone trying to provide an excuse that can be used to manipulate the public not to blame our President for the crisis that was already building.

The Biden* regime and the various groups anarcho-communist groups destroying the country are allies, but different factions with different goals. I fail to see how the billionaire insider corporate globalist cabal benefit from hacking a pipeline.

Glad I bought my chlorine tabs a while ago. And I bought extra, as I knew I would share. 

I love how they’re blaming covid and not people not wanting to work but instead collecting checks while sitting on their a$$. They been living their best lives during this pandemic 

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

Plenty of gas here, just filled up at $2.67 a gal. 

It’s all good then.  Probably just white supremacists making this up. 

Fireworks business is taking a big hit,lots of "July 4th staples" are either very limited or not available at all,saturn missles,firecrackers and roman candles are the big three for me.

Price of Steel up 145%, lumber 126%, wheat 25%, food 25%, cotton 35%, silver 38%, copper 50%, & oil 80% all in 70 days 

1 hour ago, KSB2424 said:

Biden really is Jimmy Carter reincarnated 

He's not.  I would show you a picture of the two together recently, but I'm sure that you would claim I doctored it.

I can't believe we're not talking about the important stuff...some restaurants have removed chicken tenders!  😢

3 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

I can't believe we're not talking about the important stuff...some restaurants have removed chicken tenders!  😢

exactly

what kind of uncivilized person eats chicken off a bone

2 hours ago, JustinCharge said:

Don't worry NYT said this isnt a thing no matter how many pictures of it flood Twitter 

18 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

And the Nashville Hot Chicken 🐔

My chlorine supply got contaminated over the winter, so now I'm resorting to buying up a gallons of bleach wherever I can, but this is dwindling now too.

3 hours ago, Mr Anonymous said:

The MSM will not be able to run cover for biden if we experience major shortages.  He is barely above 50% as it is.  If he loses just a little support, he will be staring at 40% approval.  

We're being warmed about an upcoming carpet pad shortage.  No surprise since other foam products are in short supply. 

Adhesives have also been a problem due to certain chemical shortages. Lots of porcelain tile on back order as well, and forget about importing most natural stone right now.  

25 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

Inflation is gonna hit like a Mack Truck

Gonna? Everything I buy has gone up. Good thing I drink bud and miller. 

For the past 3 weeks I couldn’t get any extra caramel drizzle in my Starbucks Caramel Macchiato. They have a sign explaining that they are out of certain ingredients. :(

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, peenie said:

For the past 3 weeks I couldn’t get any extra caramel drizzle in my Starbucks Caramel Macchiato. They have a sign explaining that they are out of certain ingredients. :(

Leave it to an Atlanta company to screw up gasoline prices.  :P

44 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Good thing I drink bud and miller. 

Puke

1 minute ago, GutterBoy said:

Puke

You don’t like Bud Nips? 

19 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

You don’t like Bud Nips? 

Not since I was 20

4 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

Not since I was 20

What do you drink? Something with a real hip name I’m sure. 

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

What do you drink? Something with a real hip name I’m sure. 

I like good beer.  I primarily drink Icarus but rotate between local small brewers in NJ/NY/PA

5 hours ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Can't imaging they are smart enough to hatch a plan like that.

17 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

I like good beer.  I primarily drink Icarus but rotate between local small brewers in NJ/NY/PA

Yuck. They suck more often than they are good. But they have cool labels and names.  

11 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Yuck. They suck more often than they are good. But they have cool labels and names.  

To each his own.  I wish I just liked Bud.  Paying $120 for a case of beer is not fun.  But I don't drink it because of the label or the name, it tastes way different, and I like the taste.

"It's not that we have a gasoline shortage, it's that we have this supply crunch…”

~U.S. Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm

:lol: :wall: :cry:

• Haha 2

A backup pipeline would have been nice.  Elections have consequences. 

• Like 1

Just now, GutterBoy said:

To each his own.  I wish I just liked Bud.  Paying $120 for a case of beer is not fun.  But I don't drink it because of the label or the name, it tastes way different, and I like the taste.

Buy a six pack of bud. Get it ice cold and pour  it into a chilled glass. I defy you to tell me it’s not good. Could end up saving you a bunch. I was a Stella / Heineken guy at one time. I’m not going back. I drink Miller Lite when I want to get a little drunk. 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Glad I bought my chlorine tabs a while ago. And I bought extra, as I knew I would share. 

You and newbie go in together on a group buy?

Just now, Fireballer said:

You and newbie go in together on a group buy?

Newbie doesn’t have a pool. His condo complex does. 

9 minutes ago, Reality said:

A backup pipeline would have been nice.  Elections have consequences. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

And so many fell for the political BS that Keystone XL was "bad for the environment".