JustinCharge

SEVEN Yankees fall ill with covid - ALL were vaccinated

On 5/14/2021 at 5:15 PM, peenie said:

Yes, I guess you are right, lol. True. I just think they didn't do the extensive years of studies that they normally would and have read (somewhere) that the only thing that can be guaranteed is no severe symptoms. 

Actually following up on this and to further show I can admit when I’m wrong, I did some further research based on a different conversation I was having and just realized that the trial data does actually call out that the %’s are based on “symptomatic” infection.

However, multiple real world studies out of Israel have pegged the Pfizer vaccine’s efficacy against asymptomatic infection at 90%+. https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)00947-8/fulltext

On 5/14/2021 at 3:34 PM, jerryskids said:

You are messing up the math.  The easy way to look at it is that the vaccine effective rate is on top of everything else.  Say 10000 people got Covid.  Without the vaccine, 1.5% or 150 would die.  With the vaccine, those 10000 people would be reduced by 95%, so only 500 would actually get it.  Of those, 1.5% or 7.5 people would die.

This presumes the vaccine has no benefits in survival if contracted, which is not the case since it does help with that as well.  But my point is you are comparing apples and oranges.

I'm glad I scrolled down, thank you Jerry for saving me the trouble.  

On 5/14/2021 at 2:34 PM, jerryskids said:

You are messing up the math.  The easy way to look at it is that the vaccine effective rate is on top of everything else.  Say 10000 people got Covid.  Without the vaccine, 1.5% or 150 would die.  With the vaccine, those 10000 people would be reduced by 95%, so only 500 would actually get it.  Of those, 1.5% or 7.5 people would die.

This presumes the vaccine has no benefits in survival if contracted, which is not the case since it does help with that as well.  But my point is you are comparing apples and oranges.

This.

14 hours ago, TimHauck said:

Actually following up on this and to further show I can admit when I’m wrong, I did some further research based on a different conversation I was having and just realized that the trial data does actually call out that the %’s are based on “symptomatic” infection.

However, multiple real world studies out of Israel have pegged the Pfizer vaccine’s efficacy against asymptomatic infection at 90%+. https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)00947-8/fulltext

We should bomb Isreal. Oh, that's already happening, nevermind.