RLLD

NBA ratings plummet

31 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

LeFlop vs. Mouthpiece in an elimination game on Wed. Night.  This is the type of game I'll watch in it's entirety.   

I don't believe that is an elimination game. Loser gets another shot against the 9 or 10 seed. Something like that, it's weird.

• Like 1

Just now, Reality said:

I don't believe that is an elimination game. Loser gets another shot against the 9 or 10 seed. Something like that, it's weird.

I heard in the commercial breaks that the winner of the LA/GS game plays Phoenix and the winner of the Memphis/SA game plays Utah.  But yeah, I just looked on the NBA website and their bracket shows the winner of the LA/GS game plays Phoenix, but the loser plays the winner of the Memphis/SA game.  That winner plays Utah.

8 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

The NBA is only in the United States because the US is the most modern, powerful, and free nation.  If that should change, the league might pull up stakes and move to China or elsewhere.  Or maybe it will create new franchises overseas and demote the US league to a second tier farm system, where the best players graduate to the China league. 

How ironic would that be for the NBA players to be claiming about racism here... to have to go play in China where they actually don't hide their racism and slavery?

17 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

How ironic would that be for the NBA players to be claiming about racism here... to have to go play in China where they actually don't hide their racism and slavery?

its focking amazing how these retards cry about america but are b;tches to a country that's actually straight up raciss scumbag murderers. take hollywood and nba  and export them all to china. and fock lebron james. what a complete focking idiot.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Reality said:

Gotcha.  Thanks 

4 hours ago, vuduchile said:

LeFlop vs. Mouthpiece in an elimination game on Wed. Night.  This is the type of game I'll watch in it's entirety.   

that game will (kinda) be a litmus barometer of fan interest.  If ratings for that are big, then the MSM will say "See!  People WILL consume woke sports!  Republicans can suck it!"  If the ratings are poor, the media won't say a damn thing.

4 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

there is racism everywhere.  racism as an issue is being used in America as a means to extort wealth and power, not to fix anything, enabled by cowards who won't call them out.

12 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

1.  it looks like that tweet refers to results from just ONE weekend.  Batwoman has had dismal ratings but every once in a while enjoys a one week spike before sinking again.

2. We're still talking about 611k viewers, which is paltry.  It would need to do a lot better to impress.

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2021/05/wnba-ratings-opening-weekend-nine-year-high-abc/

Saturday’s Sky-Mystics WNBA regular season game averaged a 0.39 rating and 611,000 viewers on ABC, marking the league’s largest regular season audience in nine years — since Lynx-Mercury on the opening weekend of the 2012 season, also on ABC (804K). The previous high was 599,000 for a Wings-Mercury game on ABC last summer.

Saturday marked just the second WNBA doubleheader ever on ABC, which has been carrying games since 2003.

I don’t really care about the NBA, but the Knicks sucking for 20 years without a big star can’t have helped things. The biggest media market in the country has been essentially shut out.  

3 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I don’t really care about the NBA, but the Knicks sucking for 20 years without a big star can’t have helped things. The biggest media market in the country has been essentially shut out.  

They have Brooklyn, which is one of the most interesting teams in the league.

2 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

I'm guessing here, but I'd say that NY'ers think of the Nets as that little annoying kid down the street who always wants to play with the bigger kids.  The Nets were an ABA team that moved to NJ when the leagues merged.  It wasn't until what, 8? 10 years ago where they moved back to NY?  I don't think they have a strong following up there.  I'm guessing that the majority of their fans are from NJ.

On 5/16/2021 at 1:12 PM, vuduchile said:

Most sports are not consumed the same way they were 10-20 years ago.  That's why tv ratings aren't a great barometer for a sport's popularity.   A better indicator would be year over year % increase in total league revenue from all sources.  

The last 2 years are outliers since there was barely a break between the bubble and the start of a new season. 

2021-22 Revenues will give us better insight.  

https://www.statista.com/statistics/193467/total-league-revenue-of-the-nba-since-2005/#:~:text=NBA league revenue,record 8.76 billion U.S. dollars.

Revenues are not a great indicator in today's world of managed and massaged revenue numbers. 

Take for example writing a book.  An author might complete a book, put it up for sale, then arrange for a third party "angel investor" to buy up x number of books to boost their revenue numbers just to get them listed on some best-seller list for 1 week.  Once that is accomplished, they will trumpet the book as a "best-seller" in an attempt to boost real sales.  The books are returned to the author who signs them and offers them for free on his book tour.  If the book sales actually take off, the angel investor gets a cut of the profits.  If not, the angel investor loses his investment.

In the world of global finance, who knows what deals the NBA are making to artificially boost numbers, but I know its surely possible.   What you generally can't fudge are the ratings.

16 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

No. LA has the clippers.  Same dynamic. 

23 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

The Knicks are playing well right now and could make some noise in the playoffs. (4th seed)

Just now, vuduchile said:

The Knicks are playing well right now and could make some noise in the playoffs. (4th seed)

I’m talking about a 20 year period. But thanks for the update. 

15 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

No. LA has the clippers.  Same dynamic. 

i would kinda think that 50 years of misery makes the knicks the clippers.

9 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

i would kinda think that 50 years of misery makes the knicks the clippers.

Manhattan makes it. Brooklyn takes it. 

1 hour ago, JustinCharge said:

Assuming the 76ers get bumped at some point I’ll be rooting for anyone but Brooklyn. I can’t think of a less likable collection of players.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, MDC said:

Assuming the 76ers get bumped at some point I’ll be rooting for anyone but Brooklyn. I can’t think of a less likable collection of players.

Hmm...Lebron alone breaks the unlikeable meter for me.  And he plays for the Lakers.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Hmm...Lebron alone breaks the unlikeable meter for me.  And he plays for the Lakers.  

I don’t like LeBron much either. But I think KD, Harden and Kyrie are the biggest active trifecta of mercenary jerkoffs in the league.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MDC said:

I don’t like LeBron much either. But I think KD, Harden and Kyrie are the biggest active trifecta of mercenary jerkoffs in the league.

Hard to argue with this.

Lebron is an enormous d0uche but he did forever temper that by going back to Cleveland and winning a title for them.

6 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Hard to argue with this.

Lebron is an enormous d0uche but he did forever temper that by going back to Cleveland and winning a title for them.

Yeah, that was the only reason. :rolleyes:

I think my NBA interest is down.

My thing is I don't like willful ignorance.  Any even rudimentary look at statistics on the matter would show that black people are actually not being hunted by police as many claim.  Couple that with the cognitive dissonance on the china stuff and I have to think either these guys are being willfully ignorant or actually ignorant.  Either way, I don't want to hear it.  

I think if just left up to my conscious thought, I would just ignore it and tune in, but I find that subconsciously, I'm just not as interested in watching games.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

:huh:

My memory isn’t so good anymore, but I believe Kyrie had signed a max extension with the Cavs and they drafted Wiggins 1 overall, who would be shipped to Minny for Kevin Love. So maybe he went back to scrub his image but the Cavs were also set up for success.

21 hours ago, nobody said:

My thing is I don't like willful ignorance.  Any even rudimentary look at statistics on the matter would show that black people are actually not being hunted by police as many claim.  

The black vote is becoming a swing vote with younger voters.  A big chunk of them vote republican now.  The democrats need highly coordinated bald faced lies from corporate to the grass roots leftists to try to keep the black vote in the democrat camp for 1-2 more elections.  But after that, its gone forever.  There is no time for facts in this.  They must suppress facts and try to make these lies the truth to get this done.

Are cheerleaders an option?

On 5/17/2021 at 1:46 PM, vuduchile said:

Of course I fell asleep with a few minutes left in the 4th quarter.  This is a big problem for lots of sports and their TV viewership.  It's on way too focking late.  It was after midnight and this game was still going on.  The same thing happens in MLB playoffs and World Series.  If you want kids to watch, you gotta play when they're awake.  With the exception of Mon and Thurs nights, he NFL seems to be the smartest about this.  

11 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Of course I fell asleep with a few minutes left in the 4th quarter.  This is a big problem for lots of sports and their TV viewership.  It's on way too focking late.  It was after midnight and this game was still going on.  The same thing happens in MLB playoffs and World Series.  If you want kids to watch, you gotta play when they're awake.  With the exception of Mon and Thurs nights, he NFL seems to be the smartest about this.  

I have grown less fond of Sunday Night Football. It was great when I only got the locals and the other National games on Sunday afternoon.  But after a whole day I’m not into another 3 hours of one game. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I have grown less fond of Sunday Night Football. It was great when I only got the locals and the other National games on Sunday afternoon.  But after a whole day I’m not into another 3 hours of one game. 

I can see that.  I usually have redzone on at work during the day on Sunday, so I'm ready to watch a good game at night.  But again, my sons don't need to be staying up that late to watch an entire game.  They're in bed at 10:00

I don't even know how the Pistons did this year (I presume not well) and, depending on roster turnover, I probably couldn't name but a quarter to half the team.

More data regarding the shift in the way fans consume the NBA.  This applies to other sports as well. 

So Nielsen ratings are out the window?

1 hour ago, vuduchile said:

More data regarding the shift in the way fans consume the NBA.  This applies to other sports as well. 

I don't buy the notion that "the way they consume it is shifting".  That doesn't pass the smell test.  If people are not consuming full games (regular and postseason) all the time, then the league is starting to become out-of-sight and out-of-mind.  There might be a surge of interest in buying jerseys or watching video clips, but without the foundation of people watching full games, it easy for the public's interest to totally drift away to something else.

Think of it like ESPN.  First, ESPN made it by delivering premium sports content on a level never seen. If you wanted sports, you HAD to have ESPN as part of your sports day.  But then the internet starting delivering better content.  Smartphones starting delivering faster updates.  So ESPN shifted into becoming sports gossip, then gossip in general with barely a link to sports, and then dipped its toes into politics.  People now consume ESPN differently.  But its lost its edge.  Its competing with all the other gossip media and all the other political media.  Its just a matter of time before it collapses. 

So people stop watching full games.  Now they watch clips on youtube or instagram.  Well now its competing with fun clips of cats and video games and a host of other stuff.  How long can that go on?  Probably not very.

Now the media is trying to construct a narrative that ratings dont matter.  But they most certainly do.

https://sports.yahoo.com/you-dont-really-have-to-care-about-nba-television-ratings-180944196.html

But I think the big killer is potentially China.  China might start throwing so much money at its own league that they siphon away all the NBA talent.  And there's nothing the NBA can do about it.

• Haha 1

I just saw where the NBA Draft lottery happened tonight (I think).  For years I posted a thread on this site.  I don't give a flying fock anymore.  Bye Felicia. 

6 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

I don't buy the notion that "the way they consume it is shifting".  That doesn't pass the smell test.  If people are not consuming full games (regular and postseason) all the time, then the league is starting to become out-of-sight and out-of-mind.  There might be a surge of interest in buying jerseys or watching video clips, but without the foundation of people watching full games, it easy for the public's interest to totally drift away to something else.

Think of it like ESPN.  First, ESPN made it by delivering premium sports content on a level never seen. If you wanted sports, you HAD to have ESPN as part of your sports day.  But then the internet starting delivering better content.  Smartphones starting delivering faster updates.  So ESPN shifted into becoming sports gossip, then gossip in general with barely a link to sports, and then dipped its toes into politics.  People now consume ESPN differently.  But its lost its edge.  Its competing with all the other gossip media and all the other political media.  Its just a matter of time before it collapses. 

So people stop watching full games.  Now they watch clips on youtube or instagram.  Well now its competing with fun clips of cats and video games and a host of other stuff.  How long can that go on?  Probably not very.

Be honest. You don’t buy it because you don’t want it to be true. 

Pop culture is no longer driven by  Happy Days and Seinfeld in prime time.  It’s all instagram sluts and mouthy, half-ass celebs tweeting and tik tok-ing 24/7 

Sports is experiencing something similar and much of that is driven by fantasy sports and sports gambling.   

If the massive and growing popularity of NFL Red Zone isn’t proof enough that people now consume sports by the clip or the highlight, then I don’t know what else to tell you.  

9 hours ago, vuduchile said:

Be honest. You don’t buy it because you don’t want it to be true.

I don't buy it because I heard so many variations on that theme to spin why we should still trust a product or service even though its in decline.  Anyone who has invested in the stock market can think of a lot of companies that do something like "well sales are down but we aren't measuring success by sales so its ok".  Next thing you now, they go out of business or get bought out. 

Hell, I would go into Fry's in 2020 and see half the shelves empty.  I would tell the workers, "Guess what, you are going out of business".  They would counter with "NO! We are just "restocking"".

Radio Shack 7 years ago defied calls that they were going out of business, claiming the way people consume Radio Shack is simply changing.  They said that future customers would devour their robotics, microcontrollers, and 3D printers instead of the old stuff they used to sell.  https://www.fastcompany.com/3010032/can-the-maker-movement-save-radioshack

That phrase "the way people consume our product changing" is damn death-knell.  Its up there with a sports owner giving his coach the dreaded vote of confidence.

Somebody swiping through their insta timeline, where they probably don't even watch the entire video clip, counts as a view. Comparing that to people watching an entire game is absurd.