RLLD

NBA ratings plummet

Just now, supermike80 said:

You probably love the masked singer too.

Aw.  What happened Mikey?  Did you get cut from your middle school basketball team? 

I hate when broadcasters call a basket a "flush".  Why don't you just flush the entire NBA you weirdos...

10 hours ago – via Sports Media Watch
After a series (and post-hiatus) high in Game 4, a Saturday night Game 5 of the NBA Finals slipped back under the ten million mark. Saturday’s Bucks-Suns NBA Finals Game 5 averaged a 4.8 rating and 9.62 million viewers on ABC, flat in ratings and up a modest 7% viewership from Heat-Lakers last October, a potential title-clincher and the most-watched game in the “bubble” (4.8, 8.96M), and down a sharp 55% and 48% respectively from Warriors-Raptors in June 2019, another potential clincher in which Kevin Durant returned from injury only to tear his Achilles (10.6, 18.60M).

Any riots to celebrate the victory? How are people supposed to feed they families? 

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, nobody said:

Giannis has the ball after suns get another bricked 3.  Suns don't think to foul in time.  Now for another batch of commercials as we close this out.

As a Suns fan, let me say that your game analysis reads like either you have a Bucks butt plug in your sphincter or Monty Williams ran a train on your woman.  My guess is the latter, since that sucky Suns team knocked out both LA teams.  Let me give you a little Suns homer perspective:  Giannis lowers his shoulder and initiates contact.  Every.  Single.  Time.  If he doesn’t get enough separation he adds the forearm shiver.  And if defenders go to block his shot he swats their arms away with his off hand.  Don’t get me wrong, he’s a great athlete, Greek Freak, nice guy, blah blah blah, but the way the refs let him play he was completely indefensible.

And Jru Holiday fouled CP every time he had the ball.

There is a lesson in that for the Suns though.  The refs swallow their whistle more as the playoffs progress.  It happens to both teams; reference the earlier game where Booker tried to foul and they wouldn’t call it.  Point is that you need a team that can do well in a thugfest, which tends to reward size vs. finesse.  The old Steve Nash/Mike D’Antoni teams know this quite well.

On the topic of injuries, if your plan for success is to rely Anthony Davis’ or Kawhi Leonard’s glass bodies, then you may get injuries.  That’s the risk you take.  Goes for CP as well; in fact I think we’ll learn that something was never right with his wrist.

After all of those sour grapes:  congrats to the Bucks and fans including @Mike Honcho and any other cheesehead regulars here.  I’ve got a coworker who lives there and went to the game, so I’m happy for him.  Like Mike, my plan is to see the Suns and Cards win championships, so I guess I need to beat this cancer thing for a little while longer.  :D 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JustinCharge said:

I hate when broadcasters call a basket a "flush".  Why don't you just flush the entire NBA you weirdos...

No one calls it a flush unless they dunk it.  And since you don't even watch, how would you even know?

2 hours ago, jerryskids said:

As a Suns fan, let me say that your game analysis reads like either you have a Bucks butt plug in your sphincter or Monty Williams ran a train on your woman.  My guess is the latter, since that sucky Suns team knocked out both LA teams.  Let me give you a little Suns homer perspective:  Giannis lowers his shoulder and initiates contact.  Every.  Single.  Time.  If he doesn’t get enough separation he adds the forearm shiver.  And if defenders go to block his shot he swats their arms away with his off hand.  Don’t get me wrong, he’s a great athlete, Greek Freak, nice guy, blah blah blah, but the way the refs let him play he was completely indefensible.

And Jru Holiday fouled CP every time he had the ball.

There is a lesson in that for the Suns though.  The refs swallow their whistle more as the playoffs progress.  It happens to both teams; reference the earlier game where Booker tried to foul and they wouldn’t call it.  Point is that you need a team that can do well in a thugfest, which tends to reward size vs. finesse.  The old Steve Nash/Mike D’Antoni teams know this quite well.

On the topic of injuries, if your plan for success is to rely Anthony Davis’ or Kawhi Leonard’s glass bodies, then you may get injuries.  That’s the risk you take.  Goes for CP as well; in fact I think we’ll learn that something was never right with his wrist.

After all of those sour grapes:  congrats to the Bucks and fans including @Mike Honcho and any other cheesehead regulars here.  I’ve got a coworker who lives there and went to the game, so I’m happy for him.  Like Mike, my plan is to see the Suns and Cards win championships, so I guess I need to beat this cancer thing for a little while longer.  :D 

I literally don't give a fūck about either team beyond gambling.  I actually bet on phoenix game 5 and Myles bridges over 15.5 points+rebounds+assists.  I was just pointing out when guys were going out of their way to "draw fouls" and phoenix happens to have two guys who do that on almost every play.  Booker does that thing that Harden does where he hooks the defenders arm and then flails into him.  That to me is awful basketball.  It's why our Olympic team is going to lose.  International refs aren't going to give the US players those calls because that's BS.

It's strange that some of you want the NBA and it's players to care about your opinions. 

You don't care about theirs, and rightly so.  

2 hours ago, jerryskids said:

Thanks and I hope you see all your teams win a Championship, I'm down to just the Brewers---can't wait to pick up my Bucks swag!

Yeah Milwaukee and any team from the Mountain West is never going to be a ratings bonanza. We still had an excellent series.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

Thanks and I hope you see all your teams win a Championship, I'm down to just the Brewers---can't wait to pick up my Bucks swag!

Didn't the Brewers win in the 80s with those Yount teams?  :dunno:

Pretty funny seeing all idiotic COVID masks from a few inside the arena, including the reporters who still insist upon interviewing people from a mile away...then on the superimposed screen there are 80,000 screaming fans right on top of each other, outside the arena.

1 minute ago, TK0001 said:

Pretty funny seeing all idiotic COVID masks from a few inside the arena, including the reporters who still insist upon interviewing people from a mile away...then on the superimposed screen there are 80,000 screaming fans right on top of each other, outside the arena.

It's crazy how dumb liberals are.

4 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Didn't the Brewers win in the 80s with those Yount teams?  :dunno:

No, one world series appearance against the Cardinals in 82, lost in 7..but it was really cool that for a 11 year old to see the Goodyear blimp fly directly over our school twice going from one city to the other. 

Maybe this is our year, saw yesterday the Brewers are the 4th favorite out of the NL.  

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, vuduchile said:

It's strange that some of you want the NBA and it's players to care about your opinions. 

You don't care about theirs, and rightly so.  

I don't care if the NBA players care about my opinions.  My goal is to convince you to hate basketball.

Kidding obviously.  I'm just satirizing the whole, "what great basketball!" comments.  To me this is college football.  Find a guy with a mismatch and just run the same 5 plays over and over trying to exploit that matchup.  Can't blame them for doing it, but I'm not as impressed that Giannis is dominating a team that has one viable big that he's faster and stronger than.  Especially since Kevin Durant would've single handedly beat this team if he wore a half size smaller shoe. 

It's not like Giannis is some super skilled player.  They just keep running pick actions until the suns had to switch and then he over-powered some smaller player.  And the suns didn't have anyone who could keep him out of the paint.  Sure that makes him great, but let's not act like this is the showtime Lakers out there.  It's bully ball offense vs flail for a call offense.  Bully ball won.

CLAY TRAVIS: This is the go woke, get broke synopsis year. Last year, worst ratings of all time for the NBA. This year, second worst ratings all time. It's not a coincidence. They went political. Now they're trying to George Costanza-style pretend it never happened. There was almost zero politics this year. That's going to be tough.

1 hour ago, nobody said:

I don't care if the NBA players care about my opinions.  My goal is to convince you to hate basketball.

Kidding obviously.  I'm just satirizing the whole, "what great basketball!" comments.  To me this is college football.  Find a guy with a mismatch and just run the same 5 plays over and over trying to exploit that matchup.  Can't blame them for doing it, but I'm not as impressed that Giannis is dominating a team that has one viable big that he's faster and stronger than.  Especially since Kevin Durant would've single handedly beat this team if he wore a half size smaller shoe. 

It's not like Giannis is some super skilled player.  They just keep running pick actions until the suns had to switch and then he over-powered some smaller player.  And the suns didn't have anyone who could keep him out of the paint.  Sure that makes him great, but let's not act like this is the showtime Lakers out there.  It's bully ball offense vs flail for a call offense.  Bully ball won.

Giannis's offensive strength is his inside game.  That's no secret.  Defensively, he's among the best in the league and that alone was a huge factor in this series.  Middleton was also a huge part of their offense for this series.  

There's no winning with some of you.  Too many 3's, all pick and roll, can only play in the paint.  One complaint contradicts the other.  It's all basketball.  

We hear about too many threes all the time on this board.  I think the teams made about a dozen combined last night.  

I never said this was the best basketball or the most fundamentally sound basketball I've ever seen.  I just like the sport and I like to see it played at a high level.  I like March Madness too. 

So sue me. 

• Like 1

I wish I would have seen this thread last night. I have no respect for Devin Booker anymore. That grab the arm and throw your head back bullsh!t is yet another thing killing this game. I thought Bobby Portis was going to murder him after getting called for that garbage. Booker threw his head back from the free throw line to the rim, begging for a bullsh!t foul, which of course he received. I'm glad Phoenix lost.

I get these guys were gassed, but that was some ugly basketball. I remember thinking to myself this is the best the NBA has to offer?

Still, I am happy to see LeBron not a part of the finals. And James Harden, as always.

3 minutes ago, TK0001 said:

I wish I would have seen this thread last night. I have no respect for Devin Booker anymore. That grab the arm and throw your head back bullsh!t is yet another thing killing this game. I thought Bobby Portis was going to murder him after getting called for that garbage. Booker threw his head back from the free throw line to the rim, begging for a bullsh!t foul, which of course he received. I'm glad Phoenix lost.

I get these guys were gassed, but that was some ugly basketball. I remember thinking to myself this is the best the NBA has to offer?

Still, I am happy to see LeBron not a part of the finals. And James Harden, as always.

In the time it took you to type that, Pat Connaughton flopped 3 times and punched himself in the face 8 times.  Anyone else notice that whenever he rag dolled to draw a foul, he got up from the ground holding his jaw and wincing in faux pain?  Guy got hit in the face more than Doo Koo Kim it seems.  (I know, I’m going to hell but I’m… I’m… defending my team dammit! :unsure: )

I don't give a flying fock about the ratings of anything.  Does not affect me or any of you.  

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Gepetto said:

I don't give a flying fock about the ratings of anything.  Does not affect me or any of you.  

Hey real quick why isn’t hockey on main stream television very much? I’ll hang up and listen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jerryskids said:

In the time it took you to type that, Pat Connaughton flopped 3 times and punched himself in the face 8 times.  Anyone else notice that whenever he rag dolled to draw a foul, he got up from the ground holding his jaw and wincing in faux pain?  Guy got hit in the face more than Doo Koo Kim it seems.  (I know, I’m going to hell but I’m… I’m… defending my team dammit! :unsure: )

That guy's a b!tch, too. 

*a finger grazes his cheek*

*sprawls on the floor like he's in a focking Whodini video*

I just don't understand how anyone can seriously call themselves a fan of this league without acknowledging this bullsh!t emasculating flopping trend. 

4 hours ago, vuduchile said:

Giannis's offensive strength is his inside game.  That's no secret.  Defensively, he's among the best in the league and that alone was a huge factor in this series.  Middleton was also a huge part of their offense for this series.  

There's no winning with some of you.  Too many 3's, all pick and roll, can only play in the paint.  One complaint contradicts the other.  It's all basketball.  

We hear about too many threes all the time on this board.  I think the teams made about a dozen combined last night.  

I never said this was the best basketball or the most fundamentally sound basketball I've ever seen.  I just like the sport and I like to see it played at a high level.  I like March Madness too. 

So sue me. 

I wouldn't have said shìt if you guys weren't trying to convince it's the greatest basketball ever played.

3 hours ago, TK0001 said:

The announcers were cracking me up.  Poor Bobby Portis can't breathe on someone without getting a foul and the announcers nodding in agreement.  Giannis does almost the exact same thing a few plays later.  No call.  "That's great defense"

Also the best the NBA has to offer all got hurt.  We seem to be conveniently forgetting that as we espouse the greatness of the play in this series.  I mean a team with 4 NBA players and PJ Tucker won the whole damn thing.

The PJ Tucker thing cracks me up.  He's so supposed to be some defensive stopper and the other guys are routinely putting up 40 on him. 

"But he makes them work!"

And of course Giannis is the best player in the league now.  Nevermind if KD is a half an inch further back in their game 7, the bucks lose in the 2nd round and Giannis can't get it done and KD wins the title and is the best player in the league.  The media is so retarded.

8 minutes ago, nobody said:

The PJ Tucker thing cracks me up.  He's so supposed to be some defensive stopper and the other guys are routinely putting up 40 on him. 

"But he makes them work!"

And of course Giannis is the best player in the league now.  Nevermind if KD is a half an inch further back in their game 7, the bucks lose in the 2nd round and Giannis can't get it done and KD wins the title and is the best player in the league.  The media is so retarded.

League MVP 2018

League MVP 2019

Defensive Player of the Year 2020

All Star MVP 2021 (BFD)

Finals MVP 2021

He’s pretty focking good. 

I also thing the Nets would have beat them with a healthy Kyrie and Hardin.   But the reality is, the 3 Nets superstars were rarely on the court together at the same time this year.  

I also believe a 100% Mahomes and an O-Line that wasn’t patched together last minute would have given the Cheifs the win over the Bucs   

Injuries are a factor in every sport.  That’s the way it is. 

Di Vencenzo was also greatly missed by Milwaukee in the playoffs.  

So Giannis is the best player in the league?  Because that's what I was making fun of the media for saying solely because he was lucky enough to have KD step on the 3 point line.  

Amazing that the NFL doesn’t see what has happened to the NBA with all the woke stuff. And the NFL fan base is much more anti woke than the NBA’s. But football is king. They can get away with it. NBA and baseball should ease up on the woke. And the NBA needs to shuffle LeBron off into retirement. He’s no good for the game. Space Jam 2 is a flop, even in China. And that Seattle team that has been dominating is boring to watch. The kid on Milwaukee needs to be the face of the league. 

6 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Amazing that the NFL doesn’t see what has happened to the NBA with all the woke stuff. And the NFL fan base is much more anti woke than the NBA’s. But football is king. They can get away with it. NBA and baseball should ease up on the woke. And the NBA needs to shuffle LeBron off into retirement. He’s no good for the game. Space Jam 2 is a flop, even in China. And that Seattle team that has been dominating is boring to watch. The kid on Milwaukee needs to be the face of the league. 

I think you're being a bit harsh on the Seattle team. 

21 minutes ago, nobody said:

So Giannis is the best player in the league?  Because that's what I was making fun of the media for saying solely because he was lucky enough to have KD step on the 3 point line.  

I don’t know about THE best but he’s in conversation.  

Saying the semis was won/lost because of one play shows a lack of understanding about competitive team sports. 

There must be a dozen plays in every NBA game that could go one way or the other.  Bad bounces, missed calls, phantom calls, etc  happen all the time.  

That Bucks/Nets game is no exception.  

25 minutes ago, nobody said:

His team beat KD's team in overtime that game and went on to win the series.  Durant's foot was on the line and that's only 2 points not 3.  If KD is a better smarter player he keeps off that line, kind of important.  

15 minutes ago, TK0001 said:

I think you're being a bit harsh on the Seattle team. 

Holy crap. I meant golden state. I was just looking at the NHL expansion draft. Seattle on my mind. 

38 minutes ago, Gepetto said:

His team beat KD's team in overtime that game and went on to win the series.  Durant's foot was on the line and that's only 2 points not 3.  If KD is a better smarter player he keeps off that line, kind of important.  

I'm taking a dump so I guess I'll explain my point.

People are saying Giannis is the best player in the league because of recency bias and him winning the championship.

KD is obviously better than Giannis

If KD had a half size smaller foot, no one thinks Giannis is the best player in the league.

Conclusion: People saying Giannis is the best player in the league are dumb.

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, nobody said:

I'm taking a dump so I guess I'll explain my point.

People are saying Giannis is the best player in the league because of recency bias and him winning the championship.

KD is obviously better than Giannis

If KD had a half size smaller foot, no one thinks Giannis is the best player in the league.

Conclusion: People saying Giannis is the best player in the league are dumb.

Giannis was MVP twice in the last 3 years and Finals MVP this year.  Durant was mostly hurt. Giannis hyperextended his knee at the end of the series before the finals, rehabbed relentlessly and was back healthy for game 1 of the finals.  One can argue Durant's the best or Giannis is, it's really close.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, nobody said:

No one calls it a flush unless they dunk it.  And since you don't even watch, how would you even know?

they play clips on the radio.  they did a 5 second audio clip yesterday, and it was just a player dunking and the announcer calling it a flush, like i needed to hear THAT. it was like the bucks just won a ring, but some guy at the radio station decided that the coolest thing ever would be to replay the flush call.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/31858299/gains-sizable-nba-finals-ratings-last-year-fourth-lowest-average-1997

Gains sizable in NBA Finals ratings from last year, but fourth-lowest average since 1997

NEW YORK -- Television ratings for the NBA Finals and playoffs posted sizable increases over last year. But that was the only good news for the NBA as far as viewer numbers.

According to Nielsen, the NBA and ABC on Wednesday, the six-game series between the Milwaukee Bucks and Phoenix Suns averaged 9.91 million viewers, a 32% increase over last year's series between the Los Angeles Lakers and Miami Heat, which also went six games. However, the average makes it the fourth-lowest since 1997.

The Lakers-Heat series -- which was played in October in the bubble in Orlando, Florida, after the coronavirus pandemic pushed the season back five months -- averaged only 7.45 million.

San Antonio's 2007 four-game sweep of Cleveland (9.29 million) and the Spurs' six-game victory over New Jersey in 2003 (9.83 million) are the other series to average fewer than 10 million since 1997.

The numbers were also down 34.5% compared to two years ago, when the Toronto-Golden State series averaged 15.14 million.

Milwaukee's 105-98 victory over Phoenix on Tuesday night attracted the most viewers in the series, averaging 12.52 million. The audience peaked between 11:30 p.m. and 11:45 p.m. EDT at 16.54 million. Only two games in the series averaged 10 million or more.

This year's playoffs averaged 4.25 million, up 35% over last year but down 18% compared to 2019.

TEAM USA led by Kevin Durant & Damian Lillard lost their first game in the Olympics to Evan Fournier & Rudy Gobert FRANCE Team. 

FRANCE 83 - 76 USA

Yea, Giannis is a better basketball player than Durant. 

Also, this loss in the Olympics by Team USA is just sad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Gepetto said:

TEAM USA led by Kevin Durant & Damian Lillard lost their first game in the Olympics to Evan Fournier & Rudy Gobert FRANCE Team. 

FRANCE 83 - 76 USA

Yea, Giannis is a better basketball player than Durant. 

Also, this loss in the Olympics by Team USA is just sad.

Popovich hates America. I don’t know why he’s coaching the team