Jump to content
RLLD

NBA ratings plummet

Recommended Posts

https://sportsnaut.com/nba-tv-ratings/

Have to say there is some recent little pieces in the news that give us some hope that all of this trite social complaining bullsh!t might be challenged finally.

I wonder how long and intensely the overpaid crybaby poosays in the NBA will have to face up to this before they stop perpetuating the lies

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to be a huge fan.  Now I am a passive fan, I still follow my Hornets and will watch their games and some of the playoffs but I would say my viewership is down 50% or more of what it used to be.  Just being honest.  :dunno:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never was an NBA fan but would watch the playoffs.  The last thing I saw of the NBA was a bunch of players of some team wearing BLM warmup jackets. I saw it at a sports bar and have avoided it ever since.

Do people here watch less baseball due to the all-star game move?  Here in GA it is a big negative issue for MLB but it may be just here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m a huge fan. The NBA playoffs will be awesome this year. The play in tournament was a great idea and the field is wide open.

Go Sixers. :cheers: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clearly because millions of the wokest basketfall fans are now following wnba.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

awesome!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few points.

1. Your link is awful and is barely comprehensible.

2. A google search is awful as well. https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=nba+ratings+2021

3. I just want to know how much nba ratings dropped on an average compared to how much cable tv viewership in a whole dropped. I am curious, but it is impossible to find.

4. The last nba game i watched on TV was in 2011(I had to google it). I watched Dallas Mavericks beat the heat in the finals.

5. The last game I watched was when Blake Griffin and Chris Paul came to visit Houston, at the time they played for the clippers. I went with a coworker to watch the game.

6. I am not the target audience of the NBA and I am unsure of what they could do to get me to watch.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if only they wouldn't have been so racist 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All sports lie about their viewership. Those lies translate into dollars so of course they lie. It's nearly impossible to find accurate ratings, and I don't know how the calculate them in the first place. All that said, if I take all the sports fans I know,  maybe 1 out of 20 watches the NBA. Really watches it. Looks forward to it. All 20 watch the NFL. 12 watch baseball. 10 watch hockey. Maybe if our local NBA team didn't suck. But most NBA teams suck. :dunno:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to watch a ton of NBA games, for me, it isn’t about the politics, it’s their product sucks anymore and isn’t entertaining

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me it’s mostly about the politics. And the product sucks as well. If you’re  ok with their politics then you’re the problem too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was a huge basketball fan. Even had season tickets to the Pistons. I'd watch games, draft, all of it. I went cold turkey in 2018/19 when they started all this sh1t. I saw where it was going and didn't want any part of it.

My buddy and I always wanted front-court seats to a game. He texted me a couple of months ago and said this year would be a good time to do it. I didn't even respond.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to love watching NBA games, the product is just not that good. That on top of millionaires preaching to me about how horrible this country is... They make it very easy for people like me (the $$) to simply not give a fock. 

:dunno:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh no. Please don't let this happen. mdc won't know what to do on christmas day with those he doesn't care about. 

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, MDC said:

I’m a huge fan. The NBA playoffs will be awesome this year. The play in tournament was a great idea and the field is wide open.

Go Sixers. :cheers: 

The Bucks will crush them if they meet.   Enjoy it while you can, though.  🍻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most sports are not consumed the same way they were 10-20 years ago.  That's why tv ratings aren't a great barometer for a sport's popularity.   A better indicator would be year over year % increase in total league revenue from all sources.  

The last 2 years are outliers since there was barely a break between the bubble and the start of a new season. 

2021-22 Revenues will give us better insight.  

https://www.statista.com/statistics/193467/total-league-revenue-of-the-nba-since-2005/#:~:text=NBA%20league%20revenue,record%208.76%20billion%20U.S.%20dollars.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Bill E. said:

I never was an NBA fan but would watch the playoffs.  The last thing I saw of the NBA was a bunch of players of some team wearing BLM warmup jackets. I saw it at a sports bar and have avoided it ever since.

Do people here watch less baseball due to the all-star game move?  Here in GA it is a big negative issue for MLB but it may be just here.

Same for me when it comes to the NBA, & I'll no longer watch the playoffs. Sometime during 2020, my states big 10 football team had BLM patches on their helmets and/or jerseys. 

I'll never watch them again. As for baseball, I used to watch my team 10 or 15 times a year, but no more. I've played fantasy football every year since 2005, going to drop that as well, but not because of any social justice BS. Just tired of being a commissioner that has to coddle/handhold the same 2 or 3 owners that hold things up every year.

Fcuk them!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

The last 2 years are outliers since there was barely a break between the bubble and the start of a new season.

How do you know this?  The last 2 years was also when BLM started and sports went woke.  How can you just say these are outliers?  Especially when we see woke entertainment like Batwoman or Doctor Who plummet in the ratings?  Especially when woke comics like DC and Marvel suffer dismal sales while non-woke Manga (comics) sales are breaking records?

The evidence is all around you if you look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

The Bucks will crush them if they meet.   Enjoy it while you can, though.  🍻

They won’t meet. The Bucks will get annihilated by the Nets first. 🍻 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MDC said:

They won’t meet. The Bucks will get annihilated by the Nets first. 🍻 

The Bucks crushed the nets and the 76ers during the regular season.  :)  🍻

I just don't see it happening.  As a Bucks fan, I'm not biased.  At all.  nope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

How do you know this?  The last 2 years was also when BLM started and sports went woke.  How can you just say these are outliers?  Especially when we see woke entertainment like Batwoman or Doctor Who plummet in the ratings?  Especially when woke comics like DC and Marvel suffer dismal sales while non-woke Manga (comics) sales are breaking records?

The evidence is all around you if you look.

I don't KNOW anything for sure and neither do you.  But sales of NBA merchandise is a big part of our business. With the exception of the 3 week period immediately following last season's shutdown, sales have been on upward trajectory for the past 3 years, with no sign of stopping. 

 

So, what I see when I "look around" every day is an insatiable appetite for new NBA products.

 

Revenues from legalized sports gambling are also climbing, and basketball is a big contributor.  Since our biz and sports gambling are connected, that doesn't surprise me.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, KSB2424 said:

I used to be a huge fan.  Now I am a passive fan, I still follow my Hornets and will watch their games and some of the playoffs but I would say my viewership is down 50% or more of what it used to be.  Just being honest.  :dunno:

Same. Used to love watching it. MJ playing for the Bulls got me first started watching it and then my uncle (big Boston fan and is from there) got me into it with the Celtics. Haven’t really watched a game in forever cause of all this mess. I’ll still follow them and catch the highlights but that’s it :dunno: 

 

College basketball is MUCH more entertaining. I’ll watch that quite a bit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

The Bucks crushed the nets and the 76ers during the regular season.  :)  🍻

I just don't see it happening.  As a Bucks fan, I'm not biased.  At all.  nope.

I wouldn’t confidently bet on any of those 3 to be honest. Bucks and 76ers don’t have any stars players who’ve been to a finals and the Nets seem combustible. I’m just glad Philly had home court.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, MDC said:

I wouldn’t confidently bet on any of those 3 to be honest. Bucks and 76ers don’t have any stars players who’ve been to a finals and the Nets seem combustible. I’m just glad Philly had home court.

You can confidently take all of Christmas and mother's day to watch triple headers of "terrible basketball" to fully occupy all of your time all day.

:lol:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, easilyscan said:

Same for me when it comes to the NBA, & I'll no longer watch the playoffs. Sometime during 2020, my states big 10 football team had BLM patches on their helmets and/or jerseys. 

I'll never watch them again. As for baseball, I used to watch my team 10 or 15 times a year, but no more. I've played fantasy football every year since 2005, going to drop that as well, but not because of any social justice BS. Just tired of being a commissioner that has to coddle/handhold the same 2 or 3 owners that hold things up every year.

Fcuk them!

 

 

Same here.  No NBA, no MLB, I limited football this year to some Steeler games and cut out college football.  The Steelers were not even much fun because the Rooneys are part of the loony left.   Going to Pittsburgh in a few weeks and for the first time I did not even look to see if the Pirates were playing.  It is not a protest just they have made it so I do not care about it anymore.  I have some good friends I used to work with at Gulfstream Aerospace that do a ff league for $50.  That is the only one I did this year and will keep doing it just to stay in touch with them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You woke focks are piles of sh!t.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Bill E. said:

Same here.  No NBA, no MLB, I limited football this year to some Steeler games and cut out college football.  The Steelers were not even much fun because the Rooneys are part of the loony left.   Going to Pittsburgh in a few weeks and for the first time I did not even look to see if the Pirates were playing.  It is not a protest just they have made it so I do not care about it anymore.  I have some good friends I used to work with at Gulfstream Aerospace that do a ff league for $50.  That is the only one I did this year and will keep doing it just to stay in touch with them. 

I'll assume you already heard this ?

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2021/05/16/penn-state-approves-to-stop-using-freshman-sophomore-terms-and-others-due-to-male-centric-academic-history/

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, easilyscan said:

LOL Yea.  Not surprised.   I have 2 degrees there and never used to miss a game.  Did not see much last year and will not pay attention this year at all. 

This is the second year in the last ten I did not get the MLB ticket.  Last year I did not bother because the sold off all their good players the year before.  Thought of giving them a watch this year until the All-Star thing.  Used to watch most Pirates games or listen to the radio broadcast on XM but could not even tell you the name of one player this year unless Bell is still there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently the NBA is closing in on 25% of their league being foreigners.  Looks like they were at 25.1% back in 2017, but something happened where that number dropped to 16.6% in 2018. :dunno: 

But anyway, the number is climbing again.  Funny thing is that the increase came about because the US got screwed in the Olympics.  How?  The Dream Team.  Because we got screwed in the 1988 Olympics, FIBA allowed NBA players to represent their countries in the '92 games in Barcelona, which gave us The Dream Team and a whole bunch of blow outs.  The result?  Every other country focusing more on basketball than previously.  Since then, there's been a big influx of international players in the NBA.  Just 10 years ago, we were at 16.1% back in 2012 and now up to 23%.

The NBA has been losing American viewership over the last decade and expanded their international contracts to pick up the slack.  That coincides with an influx of foreign talent.  Will the drop in ratings/money from the US push the NBA to a bigger push for money outside the US?  Will that result in more foreign born players?  Will the NBA eventually become like hockey were more than half the league is from another country?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LeFlop vs. Mouthpiece in an elimination game on Wed. Night.  This is the type of game I'll watch in it's entirety.   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I heard a clip on satellite radio where LeBron said that whoever came up with the idea of the play-in game should be fired.  Just curious... do we know if he had that opinion when the season started, or after he realized he might have to play in it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

So I heard a clip on satellite radio where LeBron said that whoever came up with the idea of the play-in game should be fired.  Just curious... do we know if he had that opinion when the season started, or after he realized he might have to play in it?

Of course he flip-flopped.  That's what he does.

 

https://www.nbcsports.com/northwest/trail-blazers/lebron-james-whines-about-play-year-after-championing-it

 

However, a year ago, LeBron said he would enjoy a play-in tournament to determine the final playoff berths during the suspension of the 2019-20 season. You know, when the Lakers were the top seed in the West and their playoff opponent would need to participate in the event.

[RELATED]: LeBron James wants a play-in tournament for final NBA Playoff berths

"One thing you can't just do is go straight to the playoffs, because it discredits the 60-plus games that guys had fighting for that position," said James during the Road Trippin' Podcast in March 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Of course he flip-flopped.  That's what he does.

 

https://www.nbcsports.com/northwest/trail-blazers/lebron-james-whines-about-play-year-after-championing-it

 

However, a year ago, LeBron said he would enjoy a play-in tournament to determine the final playoff berths during the suspension of the 2019-20 season. You know, when the Lakers were the top seed in the West and their playoff opponent would need to participate in the event.

[RELATED]: LeBron James wants a play-in tournament for final NBA Playoff berths

"One thing you can't just do is go straight to the playoffs, because it discredits the 60-plus games that guys had fighting for that position," said James during the Road Trippin' Podcast in March 2020.

SHOCKING!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m looking forward to the playoffs. Seems the league is more competitive than it has been for years :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Apparently the NBA is closing in on 25% of their league being foreigners.  Looks like they were at 25.1% back in 2017, but something happened where that number dropped to 16.6% in 2018. :dunno: 

But anyway, the number is climbing again.  Funny thing is that the increase came about because the US got screwed in the Olympics.  How?  The Dream Team.  Because we got screwed in the 1988 Olympics, FIBA allowed NBA players to represent their countries in the '92 games in Barcelona, which gave us The Dream Team and a whole bunch of blow outs.  The result?  Every other country focusing more on basketball than previously.  Since then, there's been a big influx of international players in the NBA.  Just 10 years ago, we were at 16.1% back in 2012 and now up to 23%.

The NBA has been losing American viewership over the last decade and expanded their international contracts to pick up the slack.  That coincides with an influx of foreign talent.  Will the drop in ratings/money from the US push the NBA to a bigger push for money outside the US?  Will that result in more foreign born players?  Will the NBA eventually become like hockey were more than half the league is from another country?

The NBA is only in the United States because the US is the most modern, powerful, and free nation.  If that should change, the league might pull up stakes and move to China or elsewhere.  Or maybe it will create new franchises overseas and demote the US league to a second tier farm system, where the best players graduate to the China league. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to follow the NBA a bit as a kid in the 90s and early 2000s.    I just sort of grew out of it.   The league doesnt interest me anymore for various reasons.  

Lebron and the woke are just cherry on top.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JustinCharge said:

The NBA is only in the United States because the US is the most modern, powerful, and free nation.  If that should change, the league might pull up stakes and move to China or elsewhere.  Or maybe it will create new franchise there and demote the US league to a second tier farm system, where the best players graduate to the China league. 

They won’t have a choice after Civil War 2. :thumbsup: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MDC said:

They won’t have a choice after Civil War 2. :thumbsup: 

civil war 2 aint funny, buddy.  No matter how many times to try to joke about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×