Sign in to follow this  
nobody

Dynasty alert - Kawaan Baker

Kawaan Baker - WR out of South Alabama drafted by the Saints in the 7th round.

I drafted him at the end of the 5th in my dynasty league so I'm free to talk about him now.  He's a big fast guy that lines up in the slot.  The best thing about him is he has this burst to him that allows him to run past guys.  It's like he's running pretty fast and then he just puts it in this whole other gear which doesn't necessarily show up in his 40 times (4.45).  The  South Bama Jags used him a lot as a runner as well as a receiver.   

The problem with him is he doesn't create a lot of separation through the precision of his route running which is really how to get open in the NFL (think Justin Jefferson).  He's not the type of guy that will run a jerk route and get 3 yards of cushion for an easy throw.  What he can do, though, is fill a niche for the Saints.  Most teams like the small jitterbug WRs to play the slot, but the Saints like the big slot receivers because they like the size mismatch over the nickel corners.  In fact, Baker reminds me a bit of another pretty good slot receiver the Saints took in the 7th round in Marques Colston. 

From a situation standpoint, the Saints have a void at that 2nd receiver position and now that Drew Brees is gone, I think there is room now for a Colston type to carve out a roll with QBs that don't mind throwing balls up to receivers to make contested catches.

I'm not saying go out and draft him in redraft.  I'm not saying even to draft him in dynasty.  What I would recommend is adding him to your watch list, and just monitoring the hype in camp.  If stories start trickling out that he's running with the one's in 3 receiver sets, that's when we need to start thinking about moving him from the outer edge of the radar closer to the center.

Good sleeper to keep in mind.

It's never a bad idea to have a guy like this, a late round or even UDFA, on the radar. Especially in dynasty if you want to stash him.

I did this with Josh Gordon years ago. He was taken in the supplemental draft, and I saw reports about him that said he was like Randy Moss.

So I took him in the final round on one team. He had a solid rookie season and then completely blew up the next. Unfortunately though we know the rest.

On 5/16/2021 at 8:03 PM, nobody said:

I drafted him at the end of the 5th in my dynasty league so I'm free to talk about him now.

I'm not saying go out and draft him in redraft.  I'm not saying even to draft him in dynasty.

Seems like if your perfectly honest, fan-boy assessment that you can finally reveal to us is that he shouldn't even be drafted in dynasty leagues, I don't see why you were so hush-hush in the first place...?

• Haha 1

Well we talk about fantasy football here and I know everyone gets very nitpicky kind of like you're doing now, so I tried to preemptively temper expectations and make it clear I'm not predicting a Hall of Fame career.  But, of course, it's the internet, so damned if you do.  Damned if you don't.

Thanks. I like training camp watches. I also like when people beat the drum for long shots. It's easy to back the top 10. There's nothing wrong with going out on a limb.

My guy is Kylin Hill. I might end up wrong. (Most long shots do). But I'm gonna go down swinging about the guy.

1 hour ago, Kopy said:

Thanks. I like training camp watches. I also like when people beat the drum for long shots. It's easy to back the top 10. There's nothing wrong with going out on a limb.

My guy is Kylin Hill. I might end up wrong. (Most long shots do). But I'm gonna go down swinging about the guy.

Funny you mention Kylin Hill.  I drafted him one spot before Kawaan. 

Speaking of Kylin... I love these cut-ups that dynasty nerds do.  They just cut every play the player is on the field into a clip.  It's awesome.  This LSU game sold me on him.  At the very least he's got the pass catching chops... and he's got some blocking ability.

His Kentucky cut-up looks pretty bad though, but the o-line and qb definitely do the team any favors that game.  

44 minutes ago, nobody said:

This LSU game sold me on him.

I can see where a 34 yard rushing performance would have you salivating.

2 hours ago, AxeElf said:

I can see where a 34 yard rushing performance would have you salivating.

Preach.  He'll need to prove he can run inside or he'll be limited to being a 3rd down back, but did you see the third play in that LSU game when he just flattens the blitzing safety?  Later on, he holds his own against a D-lineman.  

In leagues that give points for qb protections, this dude will be a stud!

With Brees gone, less interested in the peripheral Saints.