Sign in to follow this  
jrokh

Official Julio Jones Trade Rumors Thread

I agree. It seems like it might actually happen. I keep hearing Raiders myself.

Hope it takes place quickly, I can’t wait to see what happens to his ADP.  

My dream scenario is the packers trade for him in a deal to get Rodgers to stay but that’s far fetched.

• Like 1

Mike Reiss from ESPN Boston is usually in the know, and he seems to think there’s a real possibility of Julio to NE. If you can get an elite WR on a deal, that’s exactly the kind of thing that excites Belichick. And NE can’t draft WRs for sh1t

3 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

Mile Reiss from ESPN Boston is usually in the know, and he seems to think there’s a real possibility of Julio to NE. If you can get an elite WR on a deal, that’s exactly the kind of thing that excites Belichick. And NE can’t draft WRs for sh1t

Not sure Belichick will be too excited to sign a $23M contract when the Pats have like $15M in cap space and rookies yet to sign.

3 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Not sure Belichick will be too excited to sign a $23M contract when the Pats have like $15M in cap space and rookies yet to sign.

I think the team that trades for him only gets a chunk of that hit. But still, good point

38 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

I think the team that trades for him only gets a chunk of that hit. But still, good point

not 100% but I believe post June 1st his cap hit can be spread over two years. Shouldn't discourage a team with cap space from trading for him.

25 minutes ago, Super Cubs said:

why would a team still want him?

Production. 

Remember he was still tenth in avg points per game in non ppr last season. 

The Pats currently don’t roster a true wr1, he’ll be a big help for Cam or for Jones.  

It would be I think a good move.  

I just wanted it done now. 

27 minutes ago, Super Cubs said:

why would a team still want him?

Some teams don't already have 3 seven-time Pro Bowl WRs on their rosters.

On 5/22/2021 at 3:03 PM, AxeElf said:

I'm sure Mahomes would be willing to restructure...

He already did last month I believe.  His base pay the next 6 years is 2.5M or less every year except for 2023 where it's only $5.5M.  I don't think they'll be able to restructure his deal again (of any substantial amount), until the 2027 season.

15 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

14 hours ago, jrokh said:

not 100% but I believe post June 1st his cap hit can be spread over two years. Shouldn't discourage a team with cap space from trading for him.

The Falcons are going to be the ones taking the dead cap hit, not the Patriots.  The Pats will only be on the hook for Jones' base pay ($15M).  They'd also be responsible for the $23M in base pay for 2022 and 2023.  If the Patriots wanted to lessen the load this year, they can restructure Jones to pay $3M AAV (for example), over the next 3 years and 2 voidable extension years and turn Jones' cap hit down to around $7.5M per year.  Of course, in 2024, they'll have to figure out what to do.

If the trade is done after June 1st, the Falcons will actually get a cap savings this year.  They get dinged for $7.75M for the bonus, but they'll save the $15.3M base pay, so they'll actually be in the plus for around $7.5M.  Next year though, they're taking a $15.5M hit.  My guess is that the extra pick(s), that they get will make the hit much more bearable.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2021 at 8:06 PM, tanatastic said:

My dream scenario is the packers trade for him in a deal to get Rodgers to stay but that’s far fetched.

18 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

Mile Reiss from ESPN Boston is usually in the know, and he seems to think there’s a real possibility of Julio to NE. If you can get an elite WR on a deal, that’s exactly the kind of thing that excites Belichick. And NE can’t draft WRs for sh1t

If I were a gambling man, I'd venture to say that unless an offer is overwhelming from an NFC team, that the Falcons are going to send him to an AFC team.  The Patriots (somewhat makes sense), but honestly, I think the teams that would be better served to make an offer would be the Colts first and foremost, but also Tennessee.  Jones would improve both teams' chances at a Super Bowl this year.  I could also see the Browns being in the market as well.  It could spur them to trade Beckham.  The return wouldn't need to be great because there'd be no cap consequences after June 1st.  In fact, the cap savings would be a wash for Jones' base pay.

I'm not really sure why the Falcons are taking this route?  I get that he didn't play 9 games, get hurt and miss the last 7... his availability was stagnant.  That said, his 16-game average was 91/1371/5, which is actually better than his career average season... 85/1290/6.  He's been pretty durable his whole career.  Prior to last season, he only had 1 season where he placed less than 13 games.  I'm guessing the Falcons think they can't win with this team this year.  Which is understandable, but Jones isn't showing signs of slowing down.  Brady might retire after this season and may give the Falcons a last chance in 2022 with Ryan and Jones.

Maybe they're expecting another 5-win season or something and hoping that the extra picks from Jones will help them get a franchise QB next year and replace Ryan after the 2022 season.  Maybe even trade him after this season to add more picks.

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I'm not really sure why the Falcons are taking this route?

Money. Falcons are reportedly 500K above the cap and haven't signed any of their rookies. They could potentially restructure someone like Grady Jarrett, but that sounds like option B for them. Option A is trade Julio and the money is freed.

1 minute ago, jrokh said:

Money. Falcons are reportedly 500K above the cap and haven't signed any of their rookies. They could potentially restructure someone like Grady Jarrett, but that sounds like option B for them. Option A is trade Julio and the money is freed.

Yeah, money does make sense, but Jones' contract is very amenable for restructure.  He has the bulk of his money in base pay which could be converted to bonus money with voidable years.  They could easily take his contract from a $23M hit to less than half.  Maybe they think that the injury(ies), he had last season are only going to get worse... and quickly.  Plus, as Belichick has done in the past... better to trade a year early than a year late?  If money is the biggest motivator, Grady Jarrett's contract is similar in that there's a lot of base pay that can be converted.  Just seems weird.

I could also see this as Jones, quietly behind the scenes, asking for a trade.  Everything I've heard and read about the guy says that he's a class guy, so maybe he didn't want to go public to make people focus on the negative.  I don't know.

54 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Yeah, money does make sense, but Jones' contract is very amenable for restructure.  He has the bulk of his money in base pay which could be converted to bonus money with voidable years.  They could easily take his contract from a $23M hit to less than half.  Maybe they think that the injury(ies), he had last season are only going to get worse... and quickly.  Plus, as Belichick has done in the past... better to trade a year early than a year late?  If money is the biggest motivator, Grady Jarrett's contract is similar in that there's a lot of base pay that can be converted.  Just seems weird.

I could also see this as Jones, quietly behind the scenes, asking for a trade.  Everything I've heard and read about the guy says that he's a class guy, so maybe he didn't want to go public to make people focus on the negative.  I don't know.

Does seem that they know or at least suspect something about his injury issues. I’m sure other teams are accordingly wary and that’s at least some of the reason it hasn’t happened yet, though the June 1 date could be another big reason.

1 minute ago, IGotWorms said:

Does seem that they know or at least suspect something about his injury issues. I’m sure other teams are accordingly wary and that’s at least some of the reason it hasn’t happened yet, though the June 1 date could be another big reason.

Probably.  I'm sure the team trading for Jones will definitely make the trade contingent on a physical, that's for sure.

I'm just excited that he will have a chance to exceed his career-best 6 TDs in a season.

1 minute ago, AxeElf said:

I'm just excited that he will have a chance to exceed his career-best 6 TDs in a season.

Julio?  He had 8 in 3 separate seasons and 10 in another one.  He did catch less than what he should have though.  If he had a good QB while in Atlanta, he would have.

3 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Julio?  He had 8 in 3 separate seasons and 10 in another one.  He did catch less than what he should have though.  If he had a good QB while in Atlanta, he would have.

It's called hyperbole.

More accurately, I could have said "his USUAL 6 TDs," instead of "his career-best 6 TDs," but this site likes a good story more than demonstrable facts.

And he did have more than 6 TDs (8) only 2 of the last 8 seasons... that's a career for most WRs.

1 hour ago, AxeElf said:

It's called hyperbole.

More accurately, I could have said "his USUAL 6 TDs," instead of "his career-best 6 TDs," but this site likes a good story more than demonstrable facts.

And he did have more than 6 TDs (8) only 2 of the last 8 seasons... that's a career for most WRs.

That would cover everyone of your 5083 post.  

• Haha 1

Put a fork in him he's done. Not that he wont be some what productive. He' still has some good games left in him. But if a team thinks they are still getting a all pro talent. I think they might be in for a rude awakening.

Atlanta Falcons wide receiver Julio Jones said Monday he is planning on leaving the franchise during an interview on FS1.

"I'm outta there," Jones said when reached by telephone by Shannon Sharpe on the network's "Undisputed" show.

Jones had been the subject of trade talks recently after general manager Terry Fontenot said the team would be taking calls about the former All-Pro receiver last month.

25 minutes ago, Super Cubs said:

Put a fork in him he's done. Not that he wont be some what productive. He' still has some good games left in him.

I'm not sure you understand the meaning of the phrase, "put a fork in him he's done."

34 minutes ago, Super Cubs said:

Put a fork in him he's done. Not that he wont be some what productive. He' still has some good games left in him. But if a team thinks they are still getting a all pro talent. I think they might be in for a rude awakening.

10 best avg in non ppr last season , and 14th in ppr last season, he’s far from done.  

22 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

If I were a gambling man, I'd venture to say that unless an offer is overwhelming from an NFC team, that the Falcons are going to send him to an AFC team.  The Patriots (somewhat makes sense), but honestly, I think the teams that would be better served to make an offer would be the Colts first and foremost, but also Tennessee.  Jones would improve both teams' chances at a Super Bowl this year.  I could also see the Browns being in the market as well.  It could spur them to trade Beckham.  The return wouldn't need to be great because there'd be no cap consequences after June 1st.  In fact, the cap savings would be a wash for Jones' base pay.

Yep, Colts a possibility. I think the Titans would make a serious offer. Getting Jones would increase AJ Brown's value, both real and fantasy. They wouldn't be able to double team Brown all the time. If they got Jones I think Brown would easily be a top 3 WR. He's at least a top 5 now.

I’m pretty bullish on Julios outlook if he gets traded. He’s not at all done physically, he can still have a huge season. 

7 hours ago, tanatastic said:

I’m pretty bullish on Julios outlook if he gets traded. He’s not at all done physically, he can still have a huge season. 

I know he said he wants to go to a team that's a contender, but that's not in his control.  I do expect the Falcons to try and send him to one, but just because they're a contender, doesn't mean he'll be a viable weapon.  Baltimore comes to mind.  I know they drafted a WR, but I don't think he'll make a big impact in his rookie season.  I think Baltimore could use a guy like Jones... but is value is limited based on the fact that the Ravens don't throw the ball.  I also don't think he'd be as valuable in Kansas City.  Shocking, but that offense is really built around speed and movement. Jones isn't done, I agree, but he's not young anymore.  I think he'll certainly get more targets there than in Baltimore, but I think he's at best, 3rd in the passing hierarchy and 4th offensively as I think they're going to get their running game more involved.

If he goes to Tennessee or Indy, I think he's a WR1.

I think he’ll be second to A Brown if he does go to the Titans.  

56 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Supposedly some team is offering a first. I doubt it though

We'll find out on Tuesday.  If any team offers a #1, Atlanta would be foolish to wait.

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

I think he’ll be second to A Brown if he does go to the Titans.  

Maybe.  Davis is gone.  His numbers weren't much different than Brown's with the exception of the TD's, but that could be a route running issue... which won't exist with Jones.  Also, Jonnu Smith is gone as well.  There's a ton of targets available for Jones.  I can see them being close across the board.  But, I was referring more to a WR1 in fantasy, and not his team.

1 hour ago, IGotWorms said:

Supposedly some team is offering a first. I doubt it though

This is the source for that rumor. My question is why do reporters keep saying 'future first round pick'? Obviously it is a future first since the draft just happened, or do they mean not a 2022 1st?

23 minutes ago, jrokh said:

This is the source for that rumor. My question is why do reporters keep saying 'future first round pick'? Obviously it is a future first since the draft just happened, or do they mean not a 2022 1st?

Yeah I caught that too. Don’t know why it would be later than 2022

44 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Maybe.  Davis is gone.  His numbers weren't much different than Brown's with the exception of the TD's, but that could be a route running issue... which won't exist with Jones.  Also, Jonnu Smith is gone as well.  There's a ton of targets available for Jones.  I can see them being close across the board.  But, I was referring more to a WR1 in fantasy, and not his team.

I think that would be very difficult for the Titans to have two wr1 in ff with Henry still being with the Titans.  

Last season C Davis had his best season ever, and when I look at his numbers I can see those number next to Jones name, just simply based on the teams run first style of game. 

I think their current te Firkser is going to be a sneaky pick this season, I expect for him to be a low te one this season. 

So I don’t see all those targets going to Jones.