tubby_mcgee

Chromecast vs Roku vs Firestick

I have all Smart TVs...but it seems like some apps...I can't get on some TV's. Dumb.

Anyway...which is better.... Chromecast, Roku or Firestick?

Is one better "if you're gonna do this or that but a different one is better for something else"  etc.

I have the firestick and have no issues. For shows/movies not on Netflix, Amazon, Hulu - I use CinemaFree. You may be able to download it on CC or Roku, but a few years back when Kodi was the go to, you could only get it on a firestick. 

• Like 2

I have Roku Ultra and like it. Very reliable and they don’t push you towards certain apps or others since they’re independent. Google, Amazon etc try to hinder you so you’ll use their stuff.

1 minute ago, IGotWorms said:

I have Roku Ultra and like it. Very reliable and they don’t push you towards certain apps or others since they’re independent. Google, Amazon etc try to hinder you so you’ll use their stuff.

This is what I have also and I am happy with it.  The remote feels substantial, more so than Amazon Firestick's remote.  I've had both and like Roku better.  I have no experience with Chromecast.  

Fire stick. Can jailbreak it and watch new released movies and shows along with having all the apps 

2 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Fire stick. Can jailbreak it and watch new released movies and shows along with having all the apps 

If you want the headache of constantly upgrading and movies filmed with a seinfeld like bootleg get a firestick.

Roku is easiest with all the apps..

.chromecast is good if you have stuff on your phone or pc u wanna cast...but need decent wifi..  i thought about dumping xfinity cable boxes...but u cant stream xfinity app.

AppleTV is meh...its apple and they generally suck lol

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

If you want the headache of constantly upgrading and movies filmed with a seinfeld like bootleg get a firestick.

Roku is easiest with all the apps..

.chromecast is good if you have stuff on your phone or pc u wanna cast...but need decent wifi..  i thought about dumping xfinity cable boxes...but u cant stream xfinity app.

AppleTV is meh...its apple and they generally suck lol

I have no problems with the fire stick. Of course I’m prob more tech savvy than 90% of geeks here since most of y’all are old. For apps, I feel roku is good for y’all cause it’s easy and elderproof 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Djgb13 said:

I have no problems with the fire stick. Of course I’m prob more tech savvy than 90% of geeks here since most of y’all are old. For apps, I feel roku is good for y’all cause it’s easy and elderproof 

I have two fire sticks and not to hard at all to put apps on them so you get free movies and TV Shows so agree. I had Roku's since they first came out and have a bunch of older versions still including the first big square one. I prefer fire sticks cause of the free stuff and like the Bluetooth feature as well. Roku is still cool though if you don't care about that.

I have Roku but don't know of any NFL options at a decent price, anybody got any info concerning NFL games?

I think I'm going to invest in an old school antenna for all the local games

1 hour ago, Big Guy said:

I have Roku but don't know of any NFL options at a decent price, anybody got any info concerning NFL games?

I think I'm going to invest in an old school antenna for all the local games

I been a antenna guy for 10 years and love it and get the local CBS & Fox games on Sunday.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BeenHereBefore said:

I been a antenna guy for 10 years and love it and get the local CBS & Fox games on Sunday.

thanks BHB

1 hour ago, Big Guy said:

thanks BHB

Your very welcome Big Guy. I have a indoor one and works fine for the 10 years and picks up 15 stations. Like That so I don't risk death putting up a outdoor one. Paid $80 for it back then and this is the site.

https://store.antennasdirect.com/HD-TV-antennas.html?empcnm=Branded&empanm=AntennasDirect&empcid=1419194876&empaid=59457256707&emptid=kwd-1981153121&emploc=1024622&empmtp=e&empnet=g&empdev=c&empdmo=&empctv=424815972141&empkwd=antennas direct&emppos=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI74zQoZXp8AIVEFNyCh0HtA3NEAAYASAAEgIGavD_BwE

• Like 1

I use a firestick because with prime it's cheap and I honestly don't watch much TV. If I did, I think I would go Roku.  I can stream and mirror sports from my phone. I had the Kodi on my last Fire, haven't put it on this one. 

Roku is just stupid easy to use.

Firestick if you're into being a pirate.

So....based on the reviews....Firestick and Chromecast are like Chrome,  Apple  and Explorer and Roku is like Firefox and Android. (that being said, I use prefer Firefox on my computer and Chrome on my phone. Firefox on my phone ends up getting all focked up. Maybe its just me).

And I kinda wondered about that...would there be "proprietary traps" with any of them....

Roku it is. 

I hate smart tvs. I'd much rather have a dumb one that doesn't have the ability to advertise to me.

I have an old laptop that is permanently connected to my TV, and voila, now it has all the apps I could want, and pronhub. $10 Bluetooth mouse and keyboard and good to go. 

9 hours ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

I hate smart tvs. I'd much rather have a dumb one that doesn't have the ability to advertise to me.

I have an old laptop that is permanently connected to my TV, and voila, now it has all the apps I could want, and pronhub. $10 Bluetooth mouse and keyboard and good to go. 

Also: TVs being smart just means there's more stuff than can go wrong with them. It's a hell of a lot cheaper to replace a streaming device than a TV.