Sign in to follow this  
IGotWorms

When is the last time you saw an NBA team play defense?

I picked up watching a bit last year after a few years off.

Seems like it’s been at least 3-4 years? Longer?

:thumbsdown:

The Knicks led the league in regular season defense... at 104.7 pts per game.  That's sad. 

6 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

The Knicks led the league in regular season defense... at 104.7 pts per game.  That's sad. 

Yeah time was that’d be in the high 80s?

4 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Ask mdc. He spent all Christmas day watchimg "three terrible games".

Somebody is obsessed! :o 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

The Lakers probably have the best defense in the NBA, but only if LeBron and Anthony Davis are healthy.  Its how they won the NBA title last year.  In their current playoff series with the Suns, they won games 2 and 3 and in each game had a couple of defensive stretches where they just completely shut the Suns down.  Then Anthony Davis got hurt in game 4 and its gone again. 

But not only are a healthy LeBron and AD unstoppable, they also play great defense.

9 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

It should be easy for players to grab boards.  The nets have a kid named Alize Johnson, he actually hustles and grabs boards like crazy.  Problem, he plays defense and grabs boards thus doesn’t get much time.  Weird.

there is a lot of good D in the nba.  jusr better O, and a slight ref/star player/ticky tack foul issue

9 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

Last week, Milwaukee Bucks...and I hope they play it even better against the Nets.

I'm not sure it is possible to play defense when 7 foot centers shoot 3s :dunno:

When that one dude shouteded out Hong Kong?  :dunno:

11 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

10 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Not coincidentally the last time I actually enjoyed watching the NBA. Those Celtics title runs were the swan song :( 

They play defense when they need to do so...  The players would rather have it wide-open though to showcase their "skills" and score...

12 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Not coincidentally the last time I actually enjoyed watching the NBA. Those Celtics title runs were the swan song :( 

I used to watch basketball a lot, back when it was good.  I was a Phoenix Suns fan because I met Tom Chambers back when I was a kid.  In 2008, for some unknown reason, the team decided it was in their best interest to trade Shawn Marion for a washed up Shaq and the net result was getting beat 4-1 in the first round of the playoffs.  I lost interest in the NBA after that.  I watched, but not religiously like I used to.  I didn't root for the Suns anymore.  Rooted for the Sixers, since that was the market I was in, but never staunchly.  I stopped watching the NBA all together about 2-3 years ago.

There are some outstanding individual defenders in the NBA.  Gobert, Simmons, Kawhi, Giannis and others.  There are also some players who are major defensive liabilities.  Harden, Young...and more.  

LeFlop literally gave up on D last night and didn't even run the court to get back on D.  And this is the guy some people call the GOAT?  GTFO. 

He also left the court 5 minutes before the game ended.  What a focking joke this guy is. 

I agree with this guy:

“Player empowerment is a catchall for the fact that the league has done a terrible job of empowering teams,” a current N.B.A. general manager told me. “The players have all of the leverage in every situation. I think it’s the worst thing that ever happened to professional sports on all levels.”

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2021/05/31/nba-gm-player-empowerment-worst-thing-that-ever-happened-to-professional-sports/

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

There are some outstanding individual defenders in the NBA.  Gobert, Simmons, Kawhi, Giannis and others.  There are also some players who are major defensive liabilities.  Harden, Young...and more.  

LeFlop literally gave up on D last night and didn't even run the court to get back on D.  And this is the guy some people call the GOAT?  GTFO. 

He also left the court 5 minutes before the game ended.  What a focking joke this guy is. 

I agree with this guy:

“Player empowerment is a catchall for the fact that the league has done a terrible job of empowering teams,” a current N.B.A. general manager told me. “The players have all of the leverage in every situation. I think it’s the worst thing that ever happened to professional sports on all levels.”

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2021/05/31/nba-gm-player-empowerment-worst-thing-that-ever-happened-to-professional-sports/

yup...bingo.

1 hour ago, posty said:

They play defense when they need to do so...  The players would rather have it wide-open though to showcase their "skills" and score...

Yeah okay, I get you can run down the floor and jack up a three pointer. Awesome :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, vuduchile said:

I agree with this guy:

One thing I've noticed about people is how QUICKLY attitudes turn to crap.  You can a totally clean neighborhood.  One person throws a wrapper on the ground, and if its not picked up, next thing you know everyone treats it like a dumpster and there's trash everywhere.  I think the NBA is suffering from this.   Last year it became OK among the players to take regular season games off despite not being injured.  They called it "game management".  Next thing you know, you have games like Lakers vs Suns 5 where LeBron doesn't try to run back on defense and the rest of the team is just running in random directions to empty places on the court while the Suns dunk.  You pay money to watch this?  You pay money to wear their jerseys? 

13 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

One thing I've noticed about people is how QUICKLY attitudes turn to crap.  You can a totally clean neighborhood.  One person throws a wrapper on the ground, and if its not picked up, next thing you know everyone treats it like a dumpster and there's trash everywhere.  I think the NBA is suffering from this.   Last year it became OK among the players to take regular season games off despite not being injured.  They called it "game management".  Next thing you know, you have games like Lakers vs Suns 5 where LeBron doesn't try to run back on defense and the rest of the team is just running in random directions to empty places on the court while the Suns dunk.  You pay money to watch this?  You pay money to wear their jerseys? 

I’m a HUGE believer in broken windows theory:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_windows_theory

12 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

You pay money to watch this?  You pay money to wear their jerseys? 

Fock no unless that's part of my Hulu charge. 

I haven't watched an NBA game since Jordan was on the Bulls. And even then I only watched the playoff games that the Bulls played in. That was actually fun to watch when Starks was playing and Barkley.

I seriously would not take money now to watch an NBA game.

3 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Fock no unless that's part of my Hulu charge. 

I haven't watched an NBA game since Jordan was on the Bulls. And even then I only watched the playoff games that the Bulls played in. That was actually fun to watch when Starks was playing and Barkley.

I seriously would not take money now to watch an NBA game.

Now that was a fockin PLAY. Not just tossing up some three pointer in space 

3 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Now that was a fockin PLAY. Not just tossing up some three pointer in space 

Not in this case. Classic Reggie Miller ending up the fool. :lol:

1 hour ago, IGotWorms said:

Yeah okay, I get you can run down the floor and jack up a three pointer. Awesome :rolleyes:

That is one of the big "skills" today...  

5 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Not in this case. Classic Reggie Miller ending up the fool. :lol:

Lol, I loved Reggie with faults and all. No fool here:

In the early 90's when I actually enjoyed watching the NBA.  The NBA bores the crap out of me now.

3 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

In the early 90's when I actually enjoyed watching the NBA.  The NBA bores the crap out of me now.

I can't imagine the kind of incentives I would require to watch even 1 full quarter of a game. 

1 minute ago, Utilit99 said:

I can't imagine the kind of incentives I would require to watch even 1 full quarter of a game. 

I have a decent amount of money in NBA Top Shot moments and I still can't bring myself to watch a game.  I'm just in it to make some money.

7 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I have a decent amount of money in NBA Top Shot moments and I still can't bring myself to watch a game.  I'm just in it to make some money.

I’ve tried, it’s horrible. Even a series like Lakers/Suns, all these star players, supposed to be a good matchup...then you tune in for an abomination like last night’s “game.” FOCK. THAT.

7 hours ago, Mungwater said:

The NBA hasn’t been watchable in a decade or so, the product just isn’t good

The problem the NBA has is the product is actually very good. You have guys that can make shots now that are pretty much unreal. Their problem is there is no more rivalries. Nobody gets after it anymore, nobody fights. But the idea that they don’t play defense is stupid. These guys play a lot of defense and if you’ve ever seen a game up close you could tell they do. Guys are just elite shot makers now. What doesn’t look like it’s contested actually is. 
Are there varying degrees of good defense? Of course like anything there is. But offenses are really good now as well.