Sign in to follow this  
Sources: Coach Krzyzewski plans to retire after next season...

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/31553654/duke-blue-devils-coach-mike-krzyzewski-plans-leave-season-leave-next-season-sources-say

Duke's Mike Krzyzewski, who is the winningest coach in Division I men's basketball history and has led the Blue Devils to five national championships in his 41 seasons, plans to retire after the 2021-22 season, sources confirmed to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski on Wednesday.

Associate head coach Jon Scheyer has agreed to become the next head coach at Duke, sources told ESPN. He will spend the 2021-22 season as coach-in-waiting and will take over after that.

Duke talked to outside candidates about replacing 74-year-old Krzyzewski, including Harvard coach Tommy Amaker, sources told ESPN. Scheyer, however, was the lead recruiter on such stars as Jayson Tatum and Zion Williamson and is Duke's choice to replace Coach K, sources said.

Stadium first reported that Krzyzewski is planning to retire after next season.

Krzyzewski, a Naismith Hall of Fame coach who has 1,097 career wins at Duke, has taken the Blue Devils to the Final Four on 12 occasions. He has won 12 regular-season ACC championships and 15 conference tournament titles while producing 28 NBA lottery picks -- and 41 first-round selections -- over the years.

Having five national titles puts him second only to former UCLA coach John Wooden, who won 10.

His tally of 97 NCAA tournament wins ranks No. 1 among all coaches, as does his 126 weeks atop the Associated Press Top 25 poll.

Overall, including his five seasons as head coach at Army at the beginning of his career, Krzyzewski has a 1,170-361 record.

Duke missed the NCAA tournament this past season for the first time since 1995, but the Blue Devils welcome one of the nation's top recruiting classes for the coming season.

Scheyer played for Krzyzewski 2006-10, with his last season resulting in his mentor's fourth NCAA title. Scheyer joined the Duke staff for the 2013-14 season and rose to his current role after the 2017-18 season.

He served as interim coach last year for Duke when Krzyzewski was sidelined for a January win against Boston College due to COVID-19 protocols. Scheyer has never been a college head coach.

Damn end of an era. Only reason I got into college basketball was cause my dad LOVED him and the Blue Devils. Just not going to feel like the same team without him. That’s like the Spurs without Pop 

23 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Better give the job to a black woman or else.

They already gave it to one of the most pasty white dudes you'll ever see.

Just now, Strike said:

Racist and sexist I tell you!!!!

2 hours ago, Strike said:

The candidates were all given the school’s admission test. It had to be. 

Both Dean Smith and Roy Williams waits until after the season and announces their retirement.  

Classic Coach K, he wants a year long farewell tour, which will be puke worthy.

Such an Attention Whoore.  

3 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

Both Dean Smith and Roy Williams waits until after the season and announces their retirement.  

Classic Coach K, he wants a year long farewell tour, which will be puke worthy.

Such an Attention Whoore.  

Yup.

I was never a Duke fan, but I recognize talent, greatness, and success when i see it. Coach K was top of the line

I respect his coaching and mentoring abilities, but it is going to be absolutely brutal watching any Duke game this year and listening to the announcers fawn over Coach K.   I think I'll skip it.

Phony.  Duke cheats with the best of them. 

So this was the start to K's press conference today.  What in the actual fock.  

6 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

So this was the start to K's press conference today.  What in the actual fock.  

Going to be a long year, think I'll opt out of Duke games.

"Shashefski" can eat sh*t. If you're name is spelled Krzyewski then it's pronounced Cry-oo-ski. 

Hi I'm Gobble - pronounced suckmyjohnson

On 6/2/2021 at 3:12 PM, Strike said:

Hopefully he or she is transgender at least or indentifies as a cat or something. 

14 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Phony.  Duke cheats with the best of them. 

I don’t like Duke either. But they win. If you’re not cheatin then you ain’t tryin. 

Whats your team? St Johns probably. Felipe Lopez.  Cool bruh 

27 minutes ago, Crestwood 2 said:

I don’t like Duke either. But they win. If you’re not cheatin then you ain’t tryin. 

Whats your team? St Johns probably. Felipe Lopez.  Cool bruh 

I used to root for Indiana when I watched. Did watch a lot of St. John’s when Mullin was there. It’s a stupid sport for the most part.  

13 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

as long as you are posting here I do not want to be here.

:wave: Enjoy your 5 year old's CRT training. 

On 6/2/2021 at 3:47 PM, Utilit99 said:

Better give the job to a black woman or else.

Their new AD is.

On 6/3/2021 at 11:49 PM, Hardcore troubadour said:

I used to root for Indiana when I watched. Did watch a lot of St. John’s when Mullin was there. It’s a stupid sport for the most part.  

Yeah, watching Indiana and Bobby Knight was pretty cool.  Reggie Miller Playing the Knicks was great too. Now we have lebron. Sucks

Maybe he'll just give it a few months then announce he's coming back after all the fanfare. 

13 hours ago, cmh6476 said:

Maybe he'll just give it a few months then announce he's coming back after all the fanfare. 

Makes you appreciate players like Brady who won't announce before they stop playing. Unretiring is that much easier and less embarressing.

• Confused 1

Duke has 3 of the top 5 high school recruites committed going to Duke next year. Numbers 1, 3, and 5. And overall 5 of the top 47 recruits in the nation. 

And that's with knowing the dude is retiring. They will be fine without him.

1 minute ago, Utilit99 said:

Duke has 3 of the top 5 high school recruites committed going to Duke next year. Numbers 1, 3, and 5. And overall 5 of the top 47 recruits in the nation. 

And that's with knowing the dude is retiring. 

K is not Tom Brady.

7 hours ago, Utilit99 said:

If you go down the 1 and done rabbithole as they have done, then you have to do it every year.

7 hours ago, Utilit99 said:

What is amazing is how smart the number 1,3 and 5 overall HS seniors must be to get into Duke.  

• Haha 1