Sign in to follow this  
jrokh

Julio Jones Traded to Titans for second rounder

4 minutes ago, polecatt said:

He's also like 230 lbs.

Not a lot of WRs bigger than that, even Julio is just 220

Ok.  I never really put much stock into weight of players.  If your 6' tall, as long as you're at least 200 lbs, that's fine.  The exact weight?  Meh.

21 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Ok.  I never really put much stock into weight of players.  If your 6' tall, as long as you're at least 200 lbs, that's fine.  The exact weight?  Meh.

Yeah, but in this case I think it's a big deal. Most of the WRs that are 225+ lbs are like 6'3 or so.

AJ Brown is basically the same size as Ezekiel Elliott or Leonard Fournette though. That's difficult for a 190 lbs CB to handle.

21 hours ago, weepaws said:

I think we’ll see the Titans try to pass more, but I don’t see Tannehill having a total of 40 tds , I think this team takes a step back this season and simply won’t be as efficient moving the ball. 

Tannehill is still a low qb1 a very good double digit round draft pick.  

21 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I agree.  I can see 40 though, but that would be the absolute ceiling.  Probably 38 is the most likely.  I don't think 33 and 5 is unreasonable.

When I made this response, I was looking at Mike's projections for some reason, as to what Tannehill did last year.  So, I don't agree with you, after refreshing my memory on what Tannehill actually did last year.  I think his passing numbers increase across the board.  Last year, he averaged 30 attempts per game.  I think that goes up to between 33 and 35.  That alone will increase the yards and TD's even without the addition of Jones.

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

When I made this response, I was looking at Mike's projections for some reason, as to what Tannehill did last year.  So, I don't agree with you, after refreshing my memory on what Tannehill actually did last year.  I think his passing numbers increase across the board.  Last year, he averaged 30 attempts per game.  I think that goes up to between 33 and 35.  That alone will increase the yards and TD's even without the addition of Jones.

I think the Titans pass more this next season also, but I think scores less tds and throws less tds also, even worth the extra game. 

As a whole I think the Titans will be less productive. 

Just now, weepaws said:

I think the Titans pass more this next season also, but I think scores less tds and throws less tds also, even worth the extra game. 

So you think they won't be all that good of a team then?  I don't agree, but that's fine.  I mean, their defense isn't all that good, so I don't think they'll be able to pick up the slack.  To me, this sounds like you think they'll be a 7 to 9 win team.

11 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

So you think they won't be all that good of a team then?  I don't agree, but that's fine.  I mean, their defense isn't all that good, so I don't think they'll be able to pick up the slack.  To me, this sounds like you think they'll be a 7 to 9 win team.

Don’t know how many wins or loses they might have, that’s nfl talk and I don’t talk nfl, I think they will be less over all productive as on offense team, so I think Henry and company register less ff production than last season. 

So if that equals to less wins so be it. But I don’t talk wins and loses.  

On 6/7/2021 at 5:58 AM, TBayXXXVII said:

From a contract perspective, Jones' contract will never hurt Tennessee, especially if it pans out the way you said.  His contract over the next 3 years, for Tennessee will be $15M, $11M, $11M, and that's all cash... nothing guaranteed.  They can cut him at any point at not impact to the salary cap.

I agree with Pitts.  I think Atlanta is going to use him as a hybrid WR/TE this year.  They still have Hurst who will probably be used more as the in-line TE than Pitts, so they don't actually need to line up Pitts there.  Depending on how good of a route runner Pitts and his ability to run the route tree, he could be used primarily as a WR early on with Gage being anchored in at slot.  The Falcons did at Mike Davis, so I don't think they're planning on being more of a power run team, so I expect them to throw the ball over 650 times this season. 

I have seen some pretty bold statements in a few scouting reports on this kid.  I think a couple suggested if he were a WR he would be the best WR in the draft class and would have had a chance to go #1 overall.

when you consider this to be a good draft year for WR, thats an incredibly bold statement when talking about a TE.

perhaps beyond bold.  Maybe bordering on foolish unless he is actually THAT good.

we shall see..

not sure I'm buying on that but the reviews are good enough that I will try to watch some tape on the guy to see if he passes the eye test for me.

If I see anything interesting I'll post it.

1 minute ago, Ray_T said:

I have seen some pretty bold statements in a few scouting reports on this kid.  I think a couple suggested if he were a WR he would be the best WR in the draft class and would have had a chance to go #1 overall.

when you consider this to be a good draft year for WR, thats an incredibly bold statement when talking about a TE.

perhaps beyond bold.  Maybe bordering on foolish unless he is actually THAT good.

we shall see..

It's just a case of the risk being too great for the reward.

If you draft him, you'll be paying for one of the best rookie TE seasons in history, and if he puts up anything short of that, you might as well have gotten a double-digit round TE and picked up a CeeDee Lamb or a Mike Davis in the 5th instead.

You MIGHT get what you paid for, but you're MUCH more likely to get pennies on the dollar.

On 6/8/2021 at 7:57 AM, weepaws said:

I think we’ll see the Titans try to pass more, but I don’t see Tannehill having a total of 40 tds , I think this team takes a step back this season and simply won’t be as efficient moving the ball. 

Tannehill is still a low qb1 a very good double digit round draft pick.  

Tannehill had 40 combined passing + rushing TDs last year with AJ Brown not being particularly healthy. I think he could do it again.

16 minutes ago, t.j said:

Tannehill had 40 combined passing + rushing TDs last year with AJ Brown not being particularly healthy. I think he could do it again.

Ok. 

What if he doesn’t? 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AxeElf said:

It's just a case of the risk being too great for the reward.

If you draft him, you'll be paying for one of the best rookie TE seasons in history, and if he puts up anything short of that, you might as well have gotten a double-digit round TE and picked up a CeeDee Lamb or a Mike Davis in the 5th instead.

You MIGHT get what you paid for, but you're MUCH more likely to get pennies on the dollar.

agreed.

I have Kelce as one of my keepers.

Its not like I"m gonna dump him to grab this kid.

I could go for it in my other league, but the price would have to be right, and I suspect the price will indeed be way too high.

so I wont be buying.

but when you see bold predictions like this for a young TE barely old enough to drink, it makes a guy want to see what all the fuss is about.

On 6/10/2021 at 5:36 PM, t.j said:

If he does it again, you'd be getting what you pay for. I prefer to target players who have a chance at outperforming their ADP. I feel like Tannehill has little to chance to do that on a run first team. It's just my opinion but I feel like last year was his ceiling. Unless Henry gets injured I would not suddenly expect them to throw more. The addition of Julio is fools gold for Tannehill's fantasy value. That's why I'm selling.

On 6/9/2021 at 10:22 PM, weepaws said:

I've noticed in various “observations from mini camp” posts I've seen from local beat writers that they seem to be working with Henry in the passing game quite a bit, screens in particular. 

But haven’t they said the same thing about Henry being more involved in the passing game in the pass?

On 6/8/2021 at 3:10 PM, polecatt said:

Yeah, but in this case I think it's a big deal. Most of the WRs that are 225+ lbs are like 6'3 or so.

AJ Brown is basically the same size as Ezekiel Elliott or Leonard Fournette though. That's difficult for a 190 lbs CB to handle.

The weight only  matters when both players have an equal shot at the ball.   The bigger, physical player usually out muscles the smaller player if they arrive at the same time.

The smaller player  has the advantage if hes faster and can get to the ball first.   but if its close he still takes a hit from the other guy.

after the catch, the bigger guy is also  harder to take down, but at the NFL level of play most defensive players have  their tackling technique down and if your technique is perfect, size rarely matters.

15 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

The weight only  matters when both players have an equal shot at the ball.   The bigger, physical player usually out muscles the smaller player if they arrive at the same time.

The smaller player  has the advantage if hes faster and can get to the ball first.   but if its close he still takes a hit from the other guy.

after the catch, the bigger guy is also  harder to take down, but at the NFL level of play most defensive players have  their tackling technique down and if your technique is perfect, size rarely matters.

Yea but the biggest advantage goes to the bigger player that’s faster than the smaller player.  

5 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Yea but the biggest advantage goes to the bigger player that’s faster than the smaller player.  

That goes without saying.

32 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

That goes without saying.

Thank you.