mmmmm...beer

Inherited my Grandparents Old Farmhouse

It's back in North Dakota on a couple acres.  I have probably 30, 1st Cousins living within a 500 yards of the house on their own parcels now.

Mrs....beer and I are kicking around when I retire in 3 years heading back to live.  It's a much much more peaceful lifestyle.

Maybe we live there April-October, and head to Puerto Rico November - March.  Either way we'd be mortgage free.

That being said, the old place will need some work.  The biggest being it's not on a foundation.  We'd have to have it jacked up, a foundation poured.  At first thought thats really daunting, but looking at a pile of sites online I guess it's fairly common.

Our house here in near Portland should sell well enough I'll have $100-150k to put into the old place.  Thinking of taking it danged near down to studs... rewire, replumb, new insulation, new drywall, flooring, siding.

But... Said and done... No mortgage.

Thoughts?

Anyone do a new foundation on an existing home before?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Depending on the age and size of the house, it might be a better investment to knock it down and build something new.

• Like 3

I would be there in a heartbeat. Congrats. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Depending on the age and size of the house, it might be a better investment to knock it down and build something new.

Yeah... I've thought about that.  It's the old fam homestead.  Lots and lots of memories.  If I can I'd like to save it.  If I can't I'll have it demo'ed and put up a modular.  But... would still need a mortgage probably if we needed to go that direction.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, mmmmm...beer said:

Yeah... I've thought about that.  It's the old fam homestead.  Lots and lots of memories.  If I can I'd like to save it.  If I can't I'll have it demo'ed and put up a modular.  But... would still need a mortgage probably bif we needed to go that direction.

Might need a loan if you have to raise it and put a foundation down anyway.  Now, I don't know the costs of modular's in ND, but here in NJ (which is expensive), you could get an 1800 Sq Ft modular for about $150 per sq ft, so you're talking around $270k.  If the cost is half of that in ND, you're sitting at around $135, right?  If it costs you $100k to lift the house and put a foundation under it, the cost isn't that much different.  It's worth the extra money in my opinion.

The part that really does suck is the memories aspect.

• Like 1

A year ago I was looking into buying a modular.  Based on the area and costs, the ones I was looking was around the $270k I mentioned.

Out of curiosity, I just did a quick goog-a-ly search and found this... https://www.manufacturedhomes.com/state/North-Dakota

"With a current population of just over 725,000, the average sales price of a home in North Dakota is approximately $230,000, whereas the approximate cost of a modular home in North Dakota is $50 to $70 per square foot. Therefore, the average price of a 1,800 square foot modular home in North Dakota would be $108,000, making the purchase of a prefabricated home a fiscally responsible choice for North Dakota’s would be home buyers."

Cheaper than I thought!  An 1800 Sq ft home for $100k?  Hell, screw NJ, I might move to North Dakota!  With those prices, I'm thinking the cost of lifting the current house and adding a foundation might only be $50k (maybe less).

15 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Might need a loan if you have to raise it and put a foundation down anyway.  Now, I don't know the costs of modular's in ND, but here in NJ (which is expensive), you could get an 1800 Sq Ft modular for about $150 per sq ft, so you're talking around $270k.  If the cost is half of that in ND, you're sitting at around $135, right?  If it costs you $100k to lift the house and put a foundation under it, the cost isn't that much different.  It's worth the extra money in my opinion.

The part that really does suck is the memories aspect.

You didn't take into consideration the worth of the house after improvements.  150K to make a house worth 300K, works the same as 150K on a new house. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

A year ago I was looking into buying a modular.  Based on the area and costs, the ones I was looking was around the $270k I mentioned.

Out of curiosity, I just did a quick goog-a-ly search and found this... https://www.manufacturedhomes.com/state/North-Dakota

"With a current population of just over 725,000, the average sales price of a home in North Dakota is approximately $230,000, whereas the approximate cost of a modular home in North Dakota is $50 to $70 per square foot. Therefore, the average price of a 1,800 square foot modular home in North Dakota would be $108,000, making the purchase of a prefabricated home a fiscally responsible choice for North Dakota’s would be home buyers."

Cheaper than I thought!  An 1800 Sq ft home for $100k?  Hell, screw NJ, I might move to North Dakota!  With those prices, I'm thinking the cost of lifting the current house and adding a foundation might only be $50k (maybe less).

I saw that site, some really decent designs too.

I'm going to out it to a contractor soonest.   If we're going to see if it's feasible I think I'd like to do the foundation part asap.  Maybe break up the costs. 

Also... It'll give me some real numbers to compare if it's worth it to do that or start over.  I mean it's already got a septic system, water, electric.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DonS said:

PARTY AT MMMM....BEER'S GRANDMA'S HOUSE!!!!! 

Ohhhhh now it wouldn't be the first one!  They had 14 kids.... 11 of them boys.

MMMMMMMMMMBEEEEEEEEEEEEER is a disaster.  Haven't you moved about 50 times already.  Haven't you and the wife discussed where to retire, 50 times already.  It seems every few months you and the wifey are in the midst of a moving crisis.

LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, mmmmm...beer said:

I mean it's already got a septic system, water, electric.

Are you sure?  I mean you seem to think you will need to rewire, replumb, reinsulate, drywall, add a foundation.  Are you certain that there is actually a functioning well, septic, and drain field?

Maybe keep it as is and buy something else nearby if you are in love with  ND.  I have been looking at their housing prices for a while and you can get a really nice house for 150 easily.

And I would never spend 150 on a trailer.  That's crazy.

22 minutes ago, mmmmm...beer said:

Ohhhhh now it wouldn't be the first one!  They had 14 kids.... 11 of them boys.

wow, they had 14 kids and you were the one who inherited it.  did no one else want it or were you the special one?

2 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

wow, they had 14 kids and you were the one who inherited it.  did no one else want it or were you the special one?

It wont happen.  I'LL STAKE MY LIFE ON IT.  :)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

You didn't take into consideration the worth of the house after improvements.  150K to make a house worth 300K, works the same as 150K on a new house. 

True.  It depends on the house though.  We don't know the actual condition or age of the house.  While houses appreciate over time, the main reason for the appreciation is inflation.  The quality of the house can decline.  If this house he's talking about is anything like my sister-in-law's parents' house that was built in the 1960's with no foundation, then the value of the house is probably quite limited.

13 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

True.  It depends on the house though.  We don't know the actual condition or age of the house.  While houses appreciate over time, the main reason for the appreciation is inflation.  The quality of the house can decline.  If this house he's talking about is anything like my sister-in-law's parents' house that was built in the 1960's with no foundation, then the value of the house is probably quite limited.

I agree.  And I have no idea what "no foundation" actually means.  It's not a frame house sitting on the ground. It has something for a foundation. 

If it were me and the house were solid, I'd live with it for a while. If it's unlivable, it would be torn down.

You could not pay me enough to move back to North Dakota.

Montana yes, easy.

Minnasota, maybe...

North Dakota, fock no.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

Last Grandson... Mom was the baby of the family.  They gave the house to her... She gave it to me.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

I agree.  And I have no idea what "no foundation" actually means.  It's not a frame house sitting on the ground. It has something for a foundation. 

If it were me and the house were solid, I'd live with it for a while. If it's unlivable, it would be torn down.

Railroad ties... That's what it's setting on.

33 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

You could not pay me enough to move back to North Dakota.

Montana yes, easy.

Minnasota, maybe...

North Dakota, fock no.

Yeah depends on where you'd live.  This is western ND... Missouri River Valley.

2 minutes ago, mmmmm...beer said:

Yeah depends on where you'd live.  This is western NF... Missouri River Valley.

I know the area, Watford city, Williston, dickinson, Sidney.

Nope.

It is too far to drive for the fun activities, the only thing good about that area is bird hunting. But i would rather have slightly worse bird hunting and live in an area with other good outdoor activities.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Yeah these are my feels as well.

Get the measurements of the House, tear it down, and build a new one with a similar layout just with modern stuff.  Maybe make it bigger if need be.  I'd need a bigger house with lots of rooms, just for variety.  I don't want to sit looking at the same 4 walls all the time.  I need to change it up.  Maybe spend some days in the library, or the foyer, or the courtyard, or the vestibule, or the drawing room...you know, some quality of life.

21 minutes ago, mmmmm...beer said:

Railroad ties... That's what it's setting on.

Yeesh.  That doesn't sound promising.

"Greeeeeeen Acres is the place to be" 🎶 🤠

3 hours ago, JustinCharge said:

Get the measurements of the House, tear it down, and build a new one with a similar layout just with modern stuff.  Maybe make it bigger if need be.  I'd need a bigger house with lots of rooms, just for variety.  I don't want to sit looking at the same 4 walls all the time.  I need to change it up.  Maybe spend some days in the library, or the foyer, or the courtyard, or the vestibule, or the drawing room...you know, some quality of life.

I have a foyer. I’ve never spent a day there but my cat loves it. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

I know the area, Watford city, Williston, dickinson, Sidney.

Nope.

It is too far to drive for the fun activities, the only thing good about that area is bird hunting. But i would rather have slightly worse bird hunting and live in an area with other good outdoor activities.

My grandparents were from Hebron.  Nice area but hot and dry as fock.  

3 hours ago, MDC said:

Look at me! I have a cat and a foyer!

3 hours ago, MDC said:

Is your 🐮 not allowed? How does she cook? 

29 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

Look at me! I have a cat and a foyer!

:D 

5 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Congrats!  You've just inherited what many people dream of having.  Enjoy it. 

An old house with bad wiring and no foundation?  Even homeless people don't dream of that.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, mmmmm...beer said:

It's back in North Dakota on a couple acres.  I have probably 30, 1st Cousins living within a 500 yards of the house on their own parcels now.

I bet those teepees get cold as fock come winter. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

I bet those teepees get cold as fock come winter. 

I’ve been racking my brain trying to figure this out.

Congratulations!!! :cheers:

My uncle has a country place that no one knows about. He says it used to be a farm before the "Motor Law". 

2 hours ago, Gladiators said:

I’ve been racking my brain trying to figure this out.

Mmmbeer is of native American heritage. This being the geek club, I like to make jokes. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Mmmbeer is of native American heritage. This being the geek club, I like to make jokes. 

I forgot about that. I was trying to figure out how 30 first cousins are within 500 yards of the old family farmhouse on their own parcels. Makes more sense now.

1 hour ago, Gladiators said:

I forgot about that. I was trying to figure out how 30 first cousins are within 500 yards of the old family farmhouse on their own parcels. Makes more sense now.

They had a reservation 

• Thanks 1