Sign in to follow this  
tubby_mcgee

Consumer Reports must be liberal. Suggest using a van as a replacement for a pickup. Pickups are dangerous to small cars.

I haven't read the entire article...just skimmed it...but ...jeez...they gotta be liberal?  (Well at least the author of this article)

At the end of the article...they list "safer alternatives" to those big nasty trucks.  LOL.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-safety/the-hidden-dangers-of-big-trucks/

Also, had to step foot in Walmart for something. 

I saw two adult men, focking arguing over which action figure the one should buy.  
What ya betting on?
Are they liberal or conservative?

They can take my pickup from my cold dead hands.  :mad:

I don’t think throwing a dead deer into the back of a mini van will work out. Also not giving up 4wd. 

You can't live in a pickup, down by the river.

1 hour ago, tubby_mcgee said:

I saw two adult men, focking arguing over which action figure the one should buy.  
What ya betting on?

Need more information. Which one wanted GI Joe and which one wanted RuPaul?

10 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

Need more information. Which one wanted GI Joe and which one wanted RuPaul?

I'm not sure what they were even.  I just went on their website...to see what is popular.

If i had to guess...I'd say Marvel.

When I was a little kid ...in maybe 7-8 years old...I wanted Star Wars characters so bad, that I cut them out of the Sears Wishbook catalog and tried to play with them. 

Ya know how thin those pages were? :lol:

3 minutes ago, tubby_mcgee said:

I'm not sure what they were even.  I just went on their website...to see what is popular.

If i had to guess...I'd say Marvel.

When I was a little kid ...in maybe 7-8 years old...I wanted Star Wars characters so bad, that I cut them out of the Sears Wishbook catalog and tried to play with them. 

Ya know how thin those pages were? :lol:

They were expensive and we were poor, I had the worst collection in the neighborhood.

7 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

They were expensive and we were poor, I had the worst collection in the neighborhood.

It seemed like when I was a kid.... 80% of everyone was very "middle class". 

Now it seems like 80% of kids get everything they want.

Plain and simple...there is more money around.  Or at least more kids now, vs then (80's) have all the cool stuff. 

Most every kid then, wanted cool stuff they couldn't get.  Or they had to save for, etc and buy 1.

Now, most every kid has everything they want.   Their "cool things they want" list is pretty much empty. 

He’s not wrong when he says it’s harder for the driver to see in a truck. I’m still going to keep driving my truck though. 

You can set my truck on fire, roll it down a hill. But I still wouldn’t trade it for a Coupe DeVille. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

He’s not wrong when he says it’s harder for the driver to see in a truck. I’m still going to keep driving my truck though. 

:huh: I disagree.

Trucks are easier to see out of. You usually sit up higher in a truck than a car so you can see further out in front of you. For some reason the windshield just seems wider to me, so you get more of a panoramic view. Unless you have a shell on the bed, there's nothing behind you to obstruct that view. 

What makes it "harder to see" in a  truck? 

7 hours ago, Djgb13 said:

You can set my truck on fire, roll it down a hill. But I still wouldn’t trade it for a Coupe DeVille. 

You know, if it weren't for trucks, we wouldn't have tailgates.  

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, tubby_mcgee said:

It seemed like when I was a kid.... 80% of everyone was very "middle class". 

Now it seems like 80% of kids get everything they want.

Plain and simple...there is more money around.  Or at least more kids now, vs then (80's) have all the cool stuff. 

Most every kid then, wanted cool stuff they couldn't get.  Or they had to save for, etc and buy 1.

Now, most every kid has everything they want.   Their "cool things they want" list is pretty much empty. 

Companies like Disney weren’t using marketing to drive demand 24/7/365 and then outsourcing production to Asia who would then send 100’s of thousands of shipping containers full of them to your local Target and Walmart back in the Empire Strikes Back days.   

Marketing was basically elementary school recess.  

Fock that, drive what you want. If someone wants to buy some tiny scrap of car, that is on them.....

45 minutes ago, 5-Points said:

:huh: I disagree.

Trucks are easier to see out of. You usually sit up higher in a truck than a car so you can see further out in front of you. For some reason the windshield just seems wider to me, so you get more of a panoramic view. Unless you have a shell on the bed, there's nothing behind you to obstruct that view. 

What makes it "harder to see" in a  truck? 

Trucks sit up in the air higher which gives it a larger blind spot in front.  A little kid could be standing right in front of a truck and you wouldn't be able to see them.  Trucks have a bigger blind spot to objects that are closer.  The link even shows an example of it.

8 minutes ago, RLLD said:

Fock that, drive what you want. If someone wants to buy some tiny scrap of car, that is on them.....

The author should have recommended a smaller truck if his concerns were the size of it.  A Dodge Dakota is much smaller but at least gives the ability to haul stuff in the bed.  No one is replacing a truck with a van, that's just dumb.

8 hours ago, Djgb13 said:

You won this thread. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

You won this thread. 

Still one of my favorite country songs lol 

47 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

The author should have recommended a smaller truck if his concerns were the size of it.  A Dodge Dakota is much smaller but at least gives the ability to haul stuff in the bed.  No one is replacing a truck with a van, that's just dumb.

I will not support the distillation of our society to accommodate the less intelligent.

Here is my point.  If someone wants to own a truck then fine, get it, drive it responsibly or suffer the consequences. If someone wants to have a child, have it, but teach the child properly or it might get run over by a truck.

Saying that oh some poor child might get hurt by the truck is not good enough to oppose the truck.  Sh!t, we have to use warning labels to prevent idiots from drinking the battery water.....I say let them drink it and die, removing the world of someone THAT stupid is a good thing. 

Everything has to constantly be ruined by the rare and one-off......just enough....

Just now, RLLD said:

I will not support the distillation of our society to accommodate the less intelligent.

Here is my point.  If someone wants to own a truck then fine, get it, drive it responsibly or suffer the consequences. If someone wants to have a child, have it, but teach the child properly or it might get run over by a truck.

Saying that oh some poor child might get hurt by the truck is not good enough to oppose the truck.  Sh!t, we have to use warning labels to prevent idiots from drinking the battery water.....I say let them drink it and die, removing the world of someone THAT stupid is a good thing. 

Everything has to constantly be ruined by the rare and one-off......just enough....

I wasn't disagreeing with you.  All I did was agree with the author that trucks can be harder to see out of.  The rest of the article was worthless.

14 hours ago, tubby_mcgee said:

I haven't read the entire article...just skimmed it...but ...jeez...they gotta be liberal?  (Well at least the author of this article)

At the end of the article...they list "safer alternatives" to those big nasty trucks.  LOL.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-safety/the-hidden-dangers-of-big-trucks/

Also, had to step foot in Walmart for something. 

What ya betting on?

They're queers, so liberal.

Personally, I'd like for trucks (and larger sized SUV's), to be made a bit narrower.  If you're in a car, you are at the mercy of the SUV or truck that you are behind because you can't see around them.  The bed space in full size pick ups don't have to be as big as they are, losing a couple square feet won't hurt anyone.  SUV's aren't long at all.  If you don't like the lesser width, add more depth.  Problem solved.

6 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Personally, I'd like for trucks (and larger sized SUV's), to be made a bit narrower.  If you're in a car, you are at the mercy of the SUV or truck that you are behind because you can't see around them.  The bed space in full size pick ups don't have to be as big as they are, losing a couple square feet won't hurt anyone.  SUV's aren't long at all.  If you don't like the lesser width, add more depth.  Problem solved.

Plus 80% of those fockers can't park it right either

11 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Trucks sit up in the air higher which gives it a larger blind spot in front.  A little kid could be standing right in front of a truck and you wouldn't be able to see them.  Trucks have a bigger blind spot to objects that are closer.  The link even shows an example of it.

Oh, so it's harder to see short things directly in front of the truck. Ok. But it's much easier to see everything else. 

59 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

Plus 80% of those fockers can't park it right either

Pet peeve of mine. Don't drive it if you can't park it. :mad:

A lot of diks drive trucks. Especially the real big ones. 

31 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

A lot of diks drive trucks. Especially the real big ones. 

Work vans too!!

In Texas at least there are many people that drive trucks that do not need to. I have coworkers who have never towed anything with their truck and never take it in true back country where a truck is needed, although to be honest a 4 runner or similar would be much better in the back country than a truck.

Pickups seem to be a status symbol for many people.