Sign in to follow this  
Mike Isles

Mount Rushmore of Golfers

40 minutes ago, Mike Isles said:

Mine - Dorf !!!!!

Started this as a joke. Feel free to run with it. LOL. 

Dorf was incredible...

Jack Arnie tiger Annika

I feel you need to have Arnie on the list if being serious.

But thats just my opinion.  Maybe number 1 if they were put in order of significance.

Jack without equal..he could do magic with a club

Most loved...Arnie

Mr. HUSTLE goes to Lee Trevino

Mr. Sand...Phil or Gary Player

7 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

I feel you need to have Arnie on the list if being serious.

But thats just my opinion.  Maybe number 1 if they were put in order of significance.

If listing the best of their time, he's not there.  If listing the most influential, he might be 1. 

Rushmore of golfers during my era. 

Tiger

Faldo

Phil

Rory

Will find no bigger fan of Arnie than me.. Nobody did more for the game, more for its popularity, more for its growth, more for the players, more for the tour than he. They used to say tour players owed Arnie $.10 from every dollar they earned - he was that big... But as big as he was, if we're talking pure golf - he's not on the mountain. 

Jones

Hogan

Jack

Tiger

16 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Jack without equal..he could do magic with a club

Jack was w/out equal on many things - but wedges and short game were not his strong suit... But as he famously said, he didn't have to be. :D

Here's an excerpt from Trevino:

"I bogeyed the first hole of the playoff to give Jack a one-shot lead but got it back when he left a ball in the bunker on the second hole and made bogey. He left another ball in the bunker at the third to make double, and I took the lead for good. He chunked a wedge from the fairway at the 10th. It's funny how God doesn't give everybody everything, and from Jack, He held back the wedge. Jack was not a good bunker player. He could play wedges from the fairway OK, but around greens he didn't have much finesse. Years later, I asked Jack why he wasn't a good wedge player, and he said, "I didn't need to be. I hit the ball in the fairway and then hit it on the green." If you ever saw Jack play, you could see how that made sense. Still, when you add it up, two things won me that playoff: Jack's sand wedge, and the rain."

How Bad Was Jack Nicklaus' Bunker Play? (golfcompendium.com)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

If listing the best of their time, he's not there.  If listing the most influential, he might be 1. 

I agree.  My rushmore was a blend of everything.  Arnie certainly had game.  Then in other areas he was at the top.

13 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

Jack was w/out equal on many things - but wedges and short game were not his strong suit... But as he famously said, he didn't have to be. :D

Here's an excerpt from Trevino:

"I bogeyed the first hole of the playoff to give Jack a one-shot lead but got it back when he left a ball in the bunker on the second hole and made bogey. He left another ball in the bunker at the third to make double, and I took the lead for good. He chunked a wedge from the fairway at the 10th. It's funny how God doesn't give everybody everything, and from Jack, He held back the wedge. Jack was not a good bunker player. He could play wedges from the fairway OK, but around greens he didn't have much finesse. Years later, I asked Jack why he wasn't a good wedge player, and he said, "I didn't need to be. I hit the ball in the fairway and then hit it on the green." If you ever saw Jack play, you could see how that made sense. Still, when you add it up, two things won me that playoff: Jack's sand wedge, and the rain."

How Bad Was Jack Nicklaus' Bunker Play? (golfcompendium.com)

Just shows that putting and driving will always be 1 and 2.  

1 minute ago, TimmySmith said:

Just shows that putting and driving will always be 1 and 2.  

No doubt.

Hogan in fact always said driving was the most important part of the game. Could argue game management and putting would be to Jack. 

Chi Chi Rodriguez said (paraphrasing) 'Jack may have not been the best putter, but he made every damn putt he needed to make'. 

Obviously a hot putter is the trump card always.  

But I always thought approach was the biggest weapon.  The best ball strikers always rise to the top.  Look at Morikawa right now.  

1 hour ago, taco breath said:

Jack Arnie tiger Annika

2 of those players, I believe, were steroid users

16 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

But I always thought approach was the biggest weapon.  The best ball strikers always rise to the top.  Look at Morikawa right now.  

Well, yes and no. 

Morikawa is as good as there is with an iron in his hands...........but he's 12th in driving accuracy - is always playing from the fairway. 

Kim Jung-II, all 4 spots.

The greatest golfer in history is gone

Kim Jong-Il
Associated PressKim Jong-Il never needed a swing coach to master the sport of golf.

Kim shot 38 under, including 11 holes-in-one, at the 7,700-yard championship course at Pyongyang in the VERY FIRST golf round of his life, according to North Korean state media. This was in 1994, when Kim was 52 years old. Even more impressive, Kim stood just 5-foot-3, yet he was able to overpower a course as long as any ever played in major championship history. Who knows how good Kim could have been if he had taken up the sport earlier? Who knows how many times he bested 38 under in the 17 years since his first round?

57 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

Well, yes and no. 

Morikawa is as good as there is with an iron in his hands...........but he's 12th in driving accuracy - is always playing from the fairway. 

Im not arguing what Hogan was sayi g because that is a vastly different era.

But today we see accurate drivers do well.  We see bombers who sacrifice accuracy do well.  We rarely see guys who cant hit irons well win much.  Of course to win tournaments you need to have several things come together.  I just think most courses are labeled "2nd shot courses".  

Thats my opinion anyway.  If you arent hitting greens and getting good birdie looks then it becomes real hard to win most tournaments.  

1 minute ago, listen2me 23 said:

Im not arguing what Hogan was sayi g because that is a vastly different era.

But today we see accurate drivers do well.  We see bombers who sacrifice accuracy do well.  We rarely see guys who cant hit irons well win much.  Of course to win tournaments you need to have several things come together.  I just think most courses are labeled "2nd shot courses".  

Thats my opinion anyway.  If you arent hitting greens and getting good birdie looks then it becomes real hard to win most tournaments.  

Courses are getting longer and longer. We are quickly approaching the 8000 yard layout. As great as Colin is with his irons - he's not hitting those greens at that clip unless he's playing from the fairway... That being said, Bryson has taken a different approach. He's tossed accuracy out the window. But he's doing it with wedges - if Colin misses a fairway, he's not hitting a wedge to a green still.

Colin hits 70% of his fairways.. If he hit the same amount as Rory, Koepka, JT (which all are about at 55%) - he's an after thought. 

2 hours ago, BufordT said:

2 of those players, I believe, were steroid users

Link?

Langer is always blowed my mind with his consistency.

5 hours ago, taco breath said:

Langer is always blowed my mind with his consistency.

Met him back in June, a year ago. He played the Colonial, which was the 1st post-Covid tournament on tour. For whatever reason, he came out to our club and played with his kids. 

Nicest, most approachable guy ever. I talked to him on the putting green and was right up close to his famous long putter.... The 1st thing that strikes you about him - he's smaller than you think. 

THIS feller gets an honorable mention

I need to change my answer and add Carl Carmoni to the mountain.