Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

**2021 US Open Thread (Golf)**

The US Open is set to begin a week from tomorrow . In response, here's the usual thread to get discussion going. Torrey Pines is the site of this year's championship and here is my predicted Top Ten with consideration for others noted as well. 

Top Ten:

1. Jon Rahm- Assuming he is able to play, he's the clear favorite in my eyes. Hungry...maybe a tad pissed. And a course he's won on before. 

2. Collin Morikawa- Just seems to be playing well week after week of late. I think he's a serious contender in all majors in his current form. 

3. Patrick Reed- Won here in January and seems to be a good fit for next week as well even as course will play differently in June and with a US Open set-up. 

4. Xander Schauffele- Home game for the San Diego native and a win would be anything but shocking. Perhaps if it's not Rahm's time, it might be his. 

5. Abraham Ancer- Much like Morikawa, Ancer is putting together solid tournaments each and every time out these days. I like his chances to be a factor. 

6. Bryson DeChambeau- Won me over at last year's US Open and I think he'll be a fixture in top tens at that major for years to come. 

7. Sam Burns- Was on a tremendous hot streak in April and May, but has dealt with a bit of an injury since. I think he's the sort of player who could make some noise at TP, though. 

8. Brooks Koepka- It's a US Open...which means Koepka will probably find his way into contention. 

9. Christiaan Bezuidenhout- Another guy playing good week in and week out. Don't think he'll contend per se, but a high finish is the prediction nevertheless. 

10. Tony Finau- No top ten list at a major is complete without the "always in the mix at a major" Finau. 

Despite his win at Quail Hollow, I still don't trust McIlroy to do well here and I also think Justin Thomas will struggle a bit. Mickelson would be quite the story if he stays near the lead, but I don't see that happening either. As for Dustin Johnson, he doesn't look right at the moment. Maybe a high finish in South Carolina this weekend changes my mind. 

•  
  • Like 1

Put me down for Hovland +2800

1 hour ago, supermike80 said:

I just saw the story about Angel Cabrera..First I heard of it.  Wow!

His attorney's opening statement will begin:

So when did beating the shiit out of our women become taboo? 

4 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

His attorney's opening statement will begin:

So when did beating the shiit out of our women become taboo? 

I had no idea!

1 minute ago, supermike80 said:

I had no idea!

Yea, and if true - pretty awful of him. Certainly disappointing to hear - always loved his game, his fearless approach. 

It's US Open Eve.... the adult version of Xmas Eve for kids. 

* Everyone and their dog is picking Rahm, he's not just a favorite, but a heavy favorite. Has a guy (not named TW) that favored ever delivered? 

* Every year we see/hear the same stuff about the rough. How it's the nastiest they've ever seen, blah, blah, blah - then they go and cut it. This junk looks truly nasty this year, hopefully the USGA leaves it alone and lets it be the biitch that it's supposed to be. 

* Torrey Pines looks like a nice track, panoramic for sure. But for all her beauty, she doesn't scream US Open to me - not a venue I'd care to see an Open played on really. And 1 thing that really bugs me is having majors played on a courses already hosting regular tour stops. They were just there a few months ago, find somewhere else - there's plenty of worthy courses to chose from.

Pick: Cantlay or Morikawa - love them both. 

Sleeper: Corey Connors

Phil goes back to back

1 hour ago, Cruzer said:

It's US Open Eve.... the adult version of Xmas Eve for kids. 

* Everyone and their dog is picking Rahm, he's not just a favorite, but a heavy favorite. Has a guy (not named TW) that favored ever delivered? 

* Every year we see/hear the same stuff about the rough. How it's the nastiest they've ever seen, blah, blah, blah - then they go and cut it. This junk looks truly nasty this year, hopefully the USGA leaves it alone and lets it be the biitch that it's supposed to be. 

* Torrey Pines looks like a nice track, panoramic for sure. But for all her beauty, she doesn't scream US Open to me - not a venue I'd care to see an Open played on really. And 1 thing that really bugs me is having majors played on a courses already hosting regular tour stops. They were just there a few months ago, find somewhere else - there's plenty of worthy courses to chose from.

Pick: Cantlay or Morikawa - love them both. 

Sleeper: Corey Connors

you should have made those picks in the edex!!!!!!

also, Corey Connors hasn't qualified as a sleeper in a while.

Deep sleeper - Ian Poulter +200000

Best putter on pua the last 6 years. 

1 hour ago, WhiteWonder said:

also, Corey Connors hasn't qualified as a sleeper in a while.

1 tour win, best finish in a major - 8th..... still a sleeper. 

2 hours ago, Cruzer said:

I picked Connors.  I’m not sure I like that you like him.  Lol.

3 hours ago, Cruzer said:

Agree to disagree. I feel like he is constantly mentioned by publications and shows as a sneaky pick to win big events or ready to breakthrough. So if he’s talked about that much and always on everyone’s “sleeper” list I don’t feel like he’s a true sleeper anymore. 

poulter would be a sleeper pick to win or my boy charley Hoffman. 

Is John Daly playing?  now that would be a sleeper?

38 minutes ago, taco breath said:

Is John Daly playing?  now that would be a sleeper?

Daly would be referred to as a jobber at this point.

1 hour ago, WhiteWonder said:

Agree to disagree. I feel like he is constantly mentioned by publications and shows as a sneaky pick to win big events or ready to breakthrough. So if he’s talked about that much and always on everyone’s “sleeper” list I don’t feel like he’s a true sleeper anymore. 

poulter would be a sleeper pick to win or my boy charley Hoffman. 

There are 30 guys with better odds than he this week - which makes him certainly not a favorite. 

You seem to have long shot and sleeper mixed up. 

West Coast sucks. I hate watching golf at focking 9 pm est.  stoopid

14 minutes ago, edjr said:

West Coast sucks. I hate watching golf at focking 9 pm est.  stoopid

This is why the British if my favorite. Over by noon on Sunday and you have the rest of your day free. 

6 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

This is why the British if my favorite. Over by noon on Sunday and you have the rest of your day free. 

Nailed it.  Yup.  

West coast golf is annoying at times, but I also like it sometimes too. 

I can go out, get my round in - then come home to prime time coverage. 

To be able to stream live coverage (for FREE) is pretty damn kool. 

I understand the man wanting to make a buck... still, all the pay services can go fock themselves. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, lod001 said:

delayed start - fug. 

Yup

12 hours ago, Cruzer said:

There are 30 guys with better odds than he this week - which makes him certainly not a favorite. 

You seem to have long shot and sleeper mixed up. 

nah, i'm not even looking at odds. To me, a sleeper is someone not many people are mentioning. I don't feel that's been the case with Conners. He seems to get discussed quite a bit as a great player ready to break out. 

Then again we both spelled his last name wrong earlier in the thread so maybe he IS a sleeper :P

Just now, WhiteWonder said:

nah, i'm not even looking at odds. To me, a sleeper is someone not many people are mentioning. I don't feel that's been the case with Conners. He seems to get discussed quite a bit as a great player ready to break out. 

Then again we both spelled his last name wrong earlier in the thread so maybe he IS a sleeper :P

Oh we did? Ha, shiit.  :lol:

A sleeper to me is someone that wakes up after noon.

Most golfers would have done this, but this is still a cool story...

https://sports.yahoo.com/us-open-sweet-moment-as-phil-mickelson-fulfills-a-promise-183234552.html

TORREY PINES, Calif. — Golfers tossing balls to little kids standing along the ropes as they walk by is a fairly routine sight at any golf tournament. Phil Mickelson took it to a new level Thursday in the middle of Round 1 of the U.S. Open.

Walking between the 14th green and 15th tee, his first nine of the day, Mickelson spotted a kid in a highlighter-green T-shirt and tossed him his ball. Thing was, the little kid — 10-year old Grayden Jackel — was standing next to his buddy, 7-year old Santi Ulloa, who was visibly bummed.

“Don’t worry,” Mickelson said in stride, “I’ll get you in a couple holes.”

Fifteen minutes later, after parring the 15th, Mickelson spotted the duo, walked right over to Santi. Despite the fact that Santi was sporting a pin with Tiger Woods' picture on it, Mickelson handed him a ball of his own.

Due to COVID protocols, golfers are not allowed to sign autographs. No worries for Grayden and Santi. They got something much better.

Mickelson, who just won the PGA Championship last month, is in search of a U.S. Open championship to complete the career Grand Slam. But he got off to a rocky start, bogeying three of his first seven holes to fall five strokes off the lead. Still, he remains a fan favorite, and Grayden and Santi can tell you exactly why.

• Thanks 1

Who besides, well nobody - had Henley, Molinari and Cabby Bello at the top? 

Those 3 will vanish like farts in the wind come Sunday. 

13 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

Those 3 will vanish like farts in the wind come Sunday. 

How bout it.  Freddie Couplesesque. I used to play Freddie in certain fantasy lineups and he was such a tease.  Top of the leaderboard Thurs and Fri.  Then the ole back stiffens and he shits the bed.

good times.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruzer said:

Those 3 will vanish like farts in the wind come Friday. 

Just trying to help.

2 hours ago, BufordT said:

Just trying to help.

Ha, more like it.. I honestly thought Molinari gave up golf, hadn't seen his name since his Masters gag. 

23 players under par, including dudes named Fabian, Hayden, Bland and Taylor Montgomery - can we axe Torrey Pines from the rotation already? 

Throw TP in the mix with Erin Hills and Olympia Fields as venues that don't need to be hosting US Opens.