Sign in to follow this  
edjr

NCCAF 12 team playoff is coming

https://www.si.com/college/2021/06/08/college-football-playoff-expansion-12-team-model-favorite

The next version of the College Football Playoff is expected to include 12 teams, according to Yahoo Sports' Pete Thamel.

The CFP has included just four teams each year since the inaugural playoff in January 2015. But a 12-team playoff is now viewed as "the most likely result," per Thamel.

A four-member committee tasked with exploring expansion will present its findings to the CFP committee in July. SEC commissioner Greg Sankey, Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby and Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick are among those who will review the four-member committee's findings. 

The CFP board of managers–comprises 11 presidents and chancellors from the 10 FBS conferences and Notre Dame–will then meet to further discuss the playoff's future. 

A 12-team playoff could satisfy complaints regarding the continued exclusion of Group of 5 schools such as UCF. In a 12-team system, automatic bids would go to the winners of the five power conferences, plus one of the Group of 5 champions. The other six spots would then be at-large bids, per Thamel. 

I guess I like it, but I don't see the top 2 teams losing the 1st week, ever.

o/u on when it gets implemented - 2032

5 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

Top 4 teams probably get a week 1 bye

then I am right in thinking the top 2 will easily make it to week 2 :d

Just now, TimmySmith said:

The big debate will be 7 or 8 SEC teams. 

Right?

I'm surprised at the number.... 8 made sense.  5 from power conference winners, and 3 at large. Problem solved. All teams have a national title shot from Alabama to Alcorn State.  Just go undefeated and win.  

12 ???  :dunno:  I guess that's cool.  Seems like they want to be sure those "at large" teams include some with guaranteed tv ratings.

9 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

I'm surprised at the number.... 8 made sense.  5 from power conference winners, and 3 at large. Problem solved. All teams have a national title shot from Alabama to Alcorn State.  Just go undefeated and win.  

12 ???  :dunno:  I guess that's cool.  Seems like they want to be sure those "at large" teams include some with guaranteed tv ratings.

Yea, nobody cares about the random Cars.com bowl, so they figure they should max out the profits from as many playoffs "bowls" as possible.

4 hours ago, edjr said:

https://www.si.com/college/2021/06/08/college-football-playoff-expansion-12-team-model-favorite

I guess I like it, but I don't see the top 2 teams losing the 1st week, ever.

Why not? Twelves have solid programs and teams ranked 12 and lower knock off the #1 seed with enough frequency in college football. A twelve seed is no gimme push over.

9 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

Why not? Twelves have solid programs and teams ranked 12 and lower knock off the #1 seed with enough frequency in college football. A twelve seed is no gimme push over.

Agreed... it's not like March Madness with top 4 teams (#1 seeds) vs outside the top 50 (16th seeds). 

Upsets will happen in football with #1 vs #12. 

Was only a matter of time, just too much $$$ being left on the table. 

The NCAA posturing to keep it at 4 was one of the greatest acting performances in history - Academy Award worthy. 

I scanned AM sports radio in Los Angeles today, like 10 seconds each

710 AM was talking about this and if they would allow OJ Simpson to do a segment on air with them or not.
640 AM was a broadcaster making a long annoying sound with his mouth that never stopped.
830 AM was talking about doctored baseballs.

I turned them all off.

9 hours ago, Strike said:

I'll watch about as much as I do now.

:thumbsup:   I can't see the extra playoff games having that much competition. Christ, how often are the final 3 games competitive now?