wolves111

Has the WR Hierarchy Changed?

It seems the days of young WR's waiting their turn have gone the way of phone booths and paying with cash. Julio, Davante, and Hopkins could be giving way to Hill, Metcalf, and Jefferson,

It's a precarious drafting year for WR's. Lots of questions still unanswered obviously but it wouldn't surprise me if Jefferson and Metcalf are #2 and #3 after Hill. The young WR's like Lamb, Smith, Chase, could be mid round gets.

If Murray can stay in the pocket and be Vick like Hopkins could be #1. But I don't see that happening.  Even if he does there could be 5-6 young WR's taken three rounds later with similar stats. 

Top five- Hill, Metcalf, Jefferson, Diggs, Allen

Getting votes- Ridley, McLaurin, Woods.

AJ Brown is in my top 5 and he should be in everyone’s…

Scary Terry with some fitzmagic could be a beautiful thing.

it is still hard to bet against Davante Adams IMO 

Hill

Adams , but only if deva Rogers plays, but I hope he’s the new jeopardy host instead, would be nice to stop hearing about his deva tude. 

Diggs.  

Right now those our the only three I feel comfortable with placing in my top five. 

Hopkins hasn’t been top five since 2018, and I’m not sure  I trust Cousins to deliver with 300 plus ff points and Jefferson still as Thielen and his 14 rec  tds on the same team. 

I was all set to place Ridley in my top five, but I think he just had foot surgery so I’m waiting to see how that plays out first.  

Metcalf avg 8  ff per game  his last 8 games of the season last season, that’s concerning. 

Anyway it’s still only June.  

Thanks OP good thread.  

In terms of draft value (baking in what you will pay to get them), the top 5 WRs are:

1.  CeeDee Lamb

2.  Adam Thielen

3.  Kenny Golladay

4.  Robert Woods

5.  Brandon Aiyuk

Pretty much all of them have weekly WR1 upside, but you won't have to draft any of them before the 4th.  This is becoming my go-to WR corps in best-ball auction leagues, with a random WR6 like Fuller, Williams, Boyd, something like that.

Based on draft value. 

Robinson late 4th round weekly wr one potential. 

Kupp mid 6th round, he had two more rec and 38 more yards than Woods last season, he’s an outstanding playmaker for a Qb of the caliber of Stafford, and being drafted one round later than his teammate.  

Ty Hilton, he has three wr 1 weeks last season and that was without a Qb, he’s a very late 8th rounder and as a Qb. 

9 hours ago, AxeElf said:

In terms of draft value (baking in what you will pay to get them), the top 5 WRs are:

1.  CeeDee Lamb

2.  Adam Thielen

3.  Kenny Golladay

4.  Robert Woods

5.  Brandon Aiyuk

Pretty much all of them have weekly WR1 upside, but you won't have to draft any of them before the 4th.  This is becoming my go-to WR corps in best-ball auction leagues, with a random WR6 like Fuller, Williams, Boyd, something like that.

So do you concentrate on rb and top three t/e with the first 3/4 picks and then draft wr's? Interesting strategy. Never tried that.

4 hours ago, wolves111 said:

So do you concentrate on rb and top three t/e with the first 3/4 picks and then draft wr's? Interesting strategy. Never tried that.

I was talking about auction drafts.  It would be tough to get all five of those receivers in a snake draft, but you can get probably still get three of them in a snake.

I have done 7 BB money snake drafts so far, and most of them have been from the back end of the draft order:  2 x #10, 2 x #9, #7, #5 and #4.  So far, the only thing consistent about my first three rounds has been taking Mahomes in the 3rd (except for one draft where D.K. Metcalf fell to 3.9--and then I took Mahomes at 4.2).

Honestly, there are enough late deals at RB (Chris Carson in the 4th, Mike Davis in the 5th, Mostert/Sermon at the 7/8 turn) as well as at WR that you can really do about anything you want with your first two picks--RB/RB, WR/WR, or RB/WR--and still come out ok--even taking Mahomes in the third.

Only one of my 7 drafts was a RB/RB start; I got Zeke and Mixon at 1.5 and 2.6.  Ended up with Mostert/Sermon, Hines and Cohen behind them, and my WRs fell out as McLaurin, Lamb, Golladay, Cooks, Robby, Ruggs and St. Brown (I know it's a lot; they are 24-man rosters).

I also had only one WR/WR start, when I went Hill/Adams from one of my #9 slots.  (I almost did it again from the #7 slot, but Barkley fell to 7, so I went Barkley and Adams instead of Hill and Adams.)  Behind Hill and Adams, I added Golladay, Fuller, Robby, Williams and Green.  My RBs were as I suggested above--Chris Carson, Mike Davis, and Mostert/Sermon, with Cohen and Mack rounding out the bench.

The others were all RB/WR starts (the aforementioned Barkley/Adams from #7, Henry/Hopkins from #4, Adams/Mixon from both #10 slots, and Hill/Mixon from the other #9), and a balanced start probably still affords you the greatest flexibility on how to proceed--but the RB/RB and WR/WR strategies are perfectly viable right now too.

As for TE, I don't pick one early.  If I was going to draft a single TE to start week to week, the earliest I would probably go is Tonyan in the 9th-10th.  However, all my snake drafts have been in the BB format (I probly wouldn't do snake drafts at all if it wasn't for the $20 to win $50k Best Ball Championship on RTSports), so I'm fine with drafting three or four TEs that would probly be TE2s in a normal draft, but which have enough weekly upside to hopefully carry the position, like Anthony Firkser, Jared Cook, C.J. Uzomah or Hayden Hurst.  I do usually try to get one low-end TE1 type like Engram, Higbee or Thomas to anchor the corps.

I've been in snake leagues, 10 teams std and ppr, since 1994. Different approach than auction but identifying guys that will perform is still the plan. Picking 3rd in my next ppr draft and hoping Henry is there. I'm curious why you go against traffic by taking a QB at three when the cheap seats crowd admonishes taking a QB so high, Mahomes or not?

I took Dak last year early along with Zeke and was in first place going into week five. Dak's ankle killed that dream. However I'd do it again with the same team QB/RB with their talent even with early picks.

Herbert in round five because he's gone when I pick six. Already getting push back from QB haters. 

What's your generic QB approach?

1 hour ago, wolves111 said:

I've been in snake leagues, 10 teams std and ppr, since 1994. Different approach than auction but identifying guys that will perform is still the plan. Picking 3rd in my next ppr draft and hoping Henry is there. I'm curious why you go against traffic by taking a QB at three when the cheap seats crowd admonishes taking a QB so high, Mahomes or not?

I took Dak last year early along with Zeke and was in first place going into week five. Dak's ankle killed that dream. However I'd do it again with the same team QB/RB with their talent even with early picks.

Herbert in round five because he's gone when I pick six. Already getting push back from QB haters. 

What's your generic QB approach?

Every other year I would have been in the "QB is the new D" camp, and not draft a QB until the double digit rounds.  I didn't care if I didn't get an elite top 5 QB; any of the QBs from 6-17 are functionally equivalent on a week to week basis anyway.

But I have the feeling that Mahomes is gonna have himself a year.  The staff built an iron wall in front of him, the team has a bit of a chip on its shoulder from losing the last SuperBowl--and he was already pretty good.  The table is set for records to fall.  Now, if the ADPs of guys like Lamb and Carson and Davis and Thielen and Golladay all start to approach their value, I may not be able to keep on snagging Mahomes and coming out smelling like a rose.  If I couldn't get Carson or Lamb in the 4th (depending on what I got in the first 2 rounds), it would be hard to take Mahomes in the 3rd.  But for now--he's worth it, because I don't feel like I would do any better with a 3rd round RB or WR than I will do with Carson or Lamb--and I think Mahomes is going to be quite a bit better than any QB I could get later.  Barring injury, he's not only a lock to be one of those elite top 5 QBs, he's very likely going to be the #1 QB--and I don't believe it will be close.

So yeah, if you don't want Mahomes, do what you should do every other year and don't draft a QB early; get Daniel Jones in the 12th.

I can get behind that. Truthfully his only concern is the nagging injuries he gets from the hits he absorbs. Hopefully the new wall mitigates some of that.

15 qbs avg 22 plus points per game last season, now unless ones is drafting in a action draft, which eliminates draft strategy since all players are available to all owners every single pick, in any kind of snake draft double digit rounds for qbs and tes and kickers and def.  

Thank you. 

1. Diggs - I think the yards come down a big, but I think the TD's go up.  Don't think Adams or Hill end up with more than 12 TD each, so I think they drop a bit.
  2. Hopkins - I think his TD's go up a lot.
  3. Thomas - Back to normal... IF Winston is the QB.  They're a perfect match.
  4. Jefferson - His TD's go up as well as receptions.
  5. Woods - With a real QB, will have a career year.
  6. Hill - I think 1400 (total), yards and 17 total TD's, drops to about 1300 and 12.  He's not a reception guy, those 40 points will hurt.
  7. Ridley - I think his numbers will be similar to last year... maybe a little less if Gage, Pitts, and Hurst stay healthy.
  8. Adams - Assuming Rodgers plays, I think 115/1374/18 isn't repeatable... I'd say 102/1200/12 is more likely as I think GB tries to run more and get other players more involved.
  9. Allen - I think he has a legit shot at top 5 with Herbert.  I think the TD will be the difference maker of whether he's in or out.
  10. McLaurin - I think he has year similar to what Allen Robinson had... 102/1250/6.  He gets into the top 5 if he can double that TD number.

You can tick those numbers up a bit for the 17th game if you'd like.

I think Evan, Godwin, and Brown occupy the 13, 14, and 15 spots.  Fell free to take any one of them as your WR2 with the possibility of any one of them being top 5 if another one of the three gets hurt and misses substantial time.

24 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I think Evan, Godwin, and Brown occupy the 13, 14, and 15 spots.  Fell free to take any one of them as your WR2 with the possibility of any one of them being top 5 if another one of the three gets hurt and misses substantial time.

I would take AJ Brown over any of them by a country mile... Same with DK Metcalf. Your list is questionable at best...

18 minutes ago, jrokh said:

I would take AJ Brown over any of them by a country mile... Same with DK Metcalf. Your list is questionable at best...

Not forcing anyone to use my list, so enjoy your own.

3 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Not forcing anyone to use my list, so enjoy your own.

Not forcing anyone to respond to my criticism of their questionable (at best) list, so enjoy your own...

• Thanks 1

Just now, jrokh said:

Not forcing anyone to respond to my criticism of their questionable (at best) list, so enjoy your own...

Then don't respond to a response of a criticism of a list that is "questionable (at best)".

58 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:
  1. Diggs - I think the yards come down a big, but I think the TD's go up.  Don't think Adams or Hill end up with more than 12 TD each, so I think they drop a bit.
  2. Hopkins - I think his TD's go up a lot.
  3. Thomas - Back to normal... IF Winston is the QB.  They're a perfect match.
  4. Jefferson - His TD's go up as well as receptions.
  5. Woods - With a real QB, will have a career year.
  6. Hill - I think 1400 (total), yards and 17 total TD's, drops to about 1300 and 12.  He's not a reception guy, those 40 points will hurt.
  7. Ridley - I think his numbers will be similar to last year... maybe a little less if Gage, Pitts, and Hurst stay healthy.
  8. Adams - Assuming Rodgers plays, I think 115/1374/18 isn't repeatable... I'd say 102/1200/12 is more likely as I think GB tries to run more and get other players more involved.
  9. Allen - I think he has a legit shot at top 5 with Herbert.  I think the TD will be the difference maker of whether he's in or out.
  10. McLaurin - I think he has year similar to what Allen Robinson had... 102/1250/6.  He gets into the top 5 if he can double that TD number.

You can tick those numbers up a bit for the 17th game if you'd like.

Three WRs from the Bucs finishing as wr2? 

I don’t think Allen is good enough even with his new Qb to be a top five wr.  

I like Woods a lot this season, and his teammate Kupp.  

Yea good list thanks for sharing. 

6 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Three WRs from the Bucs finishing as wr2? 

I don’t think Allen is good enough even with his new Qb to be a top five wr.  

I like Woods a lot this season, and his teammate Kupp.  

Yea good list thanks for sharing. 

I think all 3 are going to be around 75/1100/9 (slightly better with the 17th game).  Tampa's offense is going to be elite this year.  Etch it stone... Brady is throwing for 5200 yards and 48 TD's.

Allen's a great pass catcher.  I can see 120 receptions and 1300 yards.  The TD's are what's going to either put him in the Top 5 or out.

I think Kupp is a solid WR2 this year.  Top 20.

21 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Then don't respond to a response of a criticism of a list that is "questionable (at best)".

So in your draft you would select AB over AJ Brown and Metcalf?  I don’t think you could even type yes with a straight face, let alone actually do it. I call shenanigans…

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Allen's a great pass catcher.  I can see 120 receptions and 1300 yards.

If Allen catches 120 passes, he will be only the 11th player to do so since 1995.

1 hour ago, jrokh said:

So in your draft you would select AB over AJ Brown and Metcalf?  I don’t think you could even type yes with a straight face, let alone actually do it. I call shenanigans…

Sometimes I think TBay and weepaws are the same person, but then weepaws doesn't axually watch football, while TBay has extra-strength homer goggles.

6 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

If Allen catches 120 passes, he will be only the 11th player to do so since 1995.

Remember, 17 games.  He's had over 100 receptions in a season 3 times, so it's not like he can't get in the triple digits.  Last year, he had exactly 100 in 14 games... that prorates to 121 receptions in 17 games.

30 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Remember, 17 games.  He's had over 100 receptions in a season 3 times, so it's not like he can't get in the triple digits.  Last year, he had exactly 100 in 14 games... that prorates to 121 receptions in 17 games.

Yeah and everyone else is going to be playing 17 games also. 

I don’t see him being good enough to land in the top five, but if he does I’ll give you a big congrats. 

2 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I think all 3 are going to be around 75/1100/9 (slightly better with the 17th game).  Tampa's offense is going to be elite this year.  Etch it stone... Brady is throwing for 5200 yards and 48 TD's.

Allen's a great pass catcher.  I can see 120 receptions and 1300 yards.  The TD's are what's going to either put him in the Top 5 or out.

I think Kupp is a solid WR2 this year.  Top 20.

So last season Brady completed 401 passes and 225 of those go to those three WRs, how about Fournette who can catch and R Jones and I thought you said Gio could have 70 or so rec and how about Gronk and Howard? 

3 hours ago, jrokh said:

Draft?  No, why would I?  AJ Brown and Metcalf are going in the 2nd round and Antonio is going in the 9th.  I think Brown could be top 10.  I think he'll have similar/slightly better Rec/Yard totals, but I think his TD's go down a bit.  I don't think they really try to throw the ball much more than last year, so why would you think his numbers would increase?  Julio is an upgrade over Corey Davis, so he'll probably be more productive.  They also added Josh Reynolds who's and upgrade over Adam Humphries.  So, they won't throw more but upgraded their #2 and #3 receivers.  That's not a recipe for increased production.  As I said though, there's a chance he hits top 10, I just don't think he will.

I think Metcalf disappoints this year.  The Seahawks would prefer to throw the ball 550 times or less and will absolutely try to accomplish that.  Whether they do or not, remains to be seen, but that is their objective.  They also just spent a 2nd round pick (their first pick by the way), on a deep threat WR.  Tell me again... what's Metcalf mostly used for in Seattle?  I think Seattle is going to work that kid in and use him more on the deeper routes.  Sure, Metcalf's receptions may increase a bit because he'll get more underneath stuff, but I think his yardage and TD totals take a hit.  He averaged 15.7 ypr last year.  I think that number drops because of the addition of Eskridge.  If Metcalf drops to say, 13 yards per reception, he'll need 100 receptions (an increase of 17), just to replicate that.  I don't think they'll throw enough to get him there.  Plus, that's a 16-game total, not 17.

Let's not go overboard here either.  Last year, Metcalf was WR7 & AJ Brown was WR14 to say they'd finish between 11 and 20 isn't a slap in the face.

6 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Yeah and everyone else is going to be playing 17 games also. 

I don’t see him being good enough to land in the top five, but if he does I’ll give you a big congrats. 

Like I said, it's the number of TD's that will determine that.  I have Allen outside the top 5 because he's normally around 6... last year, he had 8.  If he gets to 10-12, that could be enough to get him into the top 5.

3 minutes ago, weepaws said:

So last season Brady completed 401 passes and 225 of those go to those three WRs, how about Fournette who can catch and R Jones and I thought you said Gio could have 70 or so rec and how about Gronk and Howard? 

Yeah, in 15.5 games (remember, he sat the second half of the Detroit game because they were up 34-0 at half time), he completed 401.  That same rate puts him at 440 this year.  Last year, Tampa RB's combined for 84 receptions.  They probably won't do much more than that this year... just the bulk will go to Gio.  If Gio catches on and is in there enough to catch 70 balls... I don't think Jones, Fournett, and Vaughn will get many at all.  I can see all 4 of them totaling 90.  Only an increase of 6.

Howard gets hurt every year.  He'll get hurt again.  He and Brate will probably combine for about 40 and Gronk will get about 40 as well.  So, TE's 80, RB's at 90, 225 to the big 3, That's 395.  With a projected 440... that leaves about 45 for the other guys.

That's also assuming that Brady only completes passes at the same rate.  After a full off-season and more familiarity with the players, it could lead to a high comp%.  Let's also take into account history...

• 2001 - Cleveland, Tim Couch: 59.9 comp % / 2002 - 63.7%
  • 2007 - Pittsburgh, Ben Roethlisberger: He crapped the bed in his 2nd year, but Brady is not Roethlisberger, but Ben went from 65.3 to 66.6 in the following year.
  • 2013 - Arizona, Carson Palmer: 63.3% / 2014 - 62.9%  Not an increase, but Palmer only played in 6 games.  His Int% dropped from 3.8 to 1.3, improvement on comp% had he played all 16, is reasonable.

History tells us that comp% will either stay similar and/or improve and INT% will decrease.  Brady completed 65.7% of his passes and a 2.0 Int%. last year.  So, 67% and 1.3% could lead to even more completions, yards, and TD's.

1 hour ago, AxeElf said:

Sometimes I think TBay and weepaws are the same person, but then weepaws doesn't axually watch football, while TBay has extra-strength homer goggles.

You're just still butthurt from February.

Like I said, it's the number of TD's that will determine that.  I have Allen outside the top 5 because he's normally around 6... last year, he had 8.  If he gets to 10-12, that could be enough to get him into the top 5.

Mmm I don’t know about top five, you make a very good case why though. 

But he had 8 tds last season I think that’s where he’ll top out at, he was 11 in avg last season, and I don’t see him moving up into the top five from that 11th spot.  

Draft?  No, why would I?  AJ Brown and Metcalf are going in the 2nd round and Antonio is going in the 9th.  I think Brown could be top 10.  I think he'll have similar/slightly better Rec/Yard totals, but I think his TD's go down a bit.  I don't think they really try to throw the ball much more than last year, so why would you think his numbers would increase?  Julio is an upgrade over Corey Davis, so he'll probably be more productive.  They also added Josh Reynolds who's and upgrade over Adam Humphries.  So, they won't throw more but upgraded their #2 and #3 receivers.  That's not a recipe for increased production.  As I said though, there's a chance he hits top 10, I just think he will.

I think Metcalf disappoints this year.  The Seahawks would prefer to throw the ball 550 times or less and will absolutely try to accomplish that.  Whether they do or not, remains to be seen, but that is their objective.  They also just spent a 2nd round pick (their first pick by the way), on a deep threat WR.  Tell me again... what's Metcalf mostly used for in Seattle?  I think Seattle is going to work that kid in and use him more on the deeper routes.  Sure, Metcalf's receptions may increase a bit because he'll get more underneath stuff, but I think his yardage and TD totals take a hit.  He averaged 15.7 ypr last year.  I think that number drops because of the addition of Eskridge.  If Metcalf drops to say, 13 yards per reception, he'll need 100 receptions (an increase of 17), just to replicate that.  I don't think they'll throw enough to get him there.  Plus, that's a 16-game total, not 17.

Let's not go overboard here either.  Last year, Metcalf was WR7 & AJ Brown was WR14 to say they'd finish between 11 and 20 isn't a slap in the face.

I agree with you about Metcalf, and I think the Titans will be less productive so I see a little drop off with A Brown also. 

Metcalf reach double digits 7 out 8 games the first half of the season, and only 3 times out of their last eight games, and they did draft a good young wr. 

11 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Mmm I don’t know about top five, you make a very good case why though. 

But he had 8 tds last season I think that’s where he’ll top out at, he was 11 in avg last season, and I don’t see him moving up into the top five from that 11th spot.  

I could see him being outside of the top 10 too.  But remember, he finished 11th in avg with a rookie QB who had no off-season.  Could have a better rapport after this off-season.

Draft?  No, why would I?  AJ Brown and Metcalf are going in the 2nd round and Antonio is going in the 9th.  I think Brown could be top 10.  I think he'll have similar/slightly better Rec/Yard totals, but I think his TD's go down a bit.  I don't think they really try to throw the ball much more than last year, so why would you think his numbers would increase?  Julio is an upgrade over Corey Davis, so he'll probably be more productive.  They also added Josh Reynolds who's and upgrade over Adam Humphries.  So, they won't throw more but upgraded their #2 and #3 receivers.  That's not a recipe for increased production.  As I said though, there's a chance he hits top 10, I just don't think he will.

In my league half Ppr Metcalf and Brown were 6 and 8 in avg points per game. What was AB 50th? Please take off the Homer glasses you are reaching…

4 minutes ago, jrokh said:

In my league half Ppr Metcalf and Brown were 6 and 8 in avg points per game. What was AB 50th? Please take off the Homer glasses you are reaching…

Brown and Metcalf played multiple seasons with the same team, same QB, same system... AB had 8 games, no off-season, new team, new QB, new system.  AB was, not too long ago, the undisputed best WR in the NFL.  Neither Brown or Metcalf were ever even near that discussion.

Last 8 games of 2020 (PPR)...

• Antonio Brown: 45 / 483 / 4 - 14.7 fpg  (11.9 .5PPR)
  • AJ Brown: 43 / 719 / 6 - 18.9 fpg  (16.2 .5PPR)
  • DK Metcalf: 40 / 515 / 2 - 12.9 fpg  (10.4 .5PPR)

Brown was THE guy on a team with no one else.  That's not what 2021 will be like.  I expect his production to decrease.  Maybe you need to take my reading glasses because I guess you didn't know that after the mid-season point, Antonio Brown was better than DK Metcalf.

4 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

17 games?  Allen has made it through 16 games only 3 times in his 8-year career.  If he gets 14 games in, you can consider it a successful season.

3 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

You're just still butthurt from February.

I wish our vaunted receivers hadn't crapped the bed that day, sure--but the silver lining is that it made the Chiefs think they needed a better offensive line, so they went and built an iron wall in front of Mahomes in the offseason.  Now Mahomes' pocket is like Fort Knox, and his 8,000/80 season will be the gold.

On 6/18/2021 at 11:16 PM, AxeElf said:

1.  CeeDee Lamb

2.  Adam Thielen

3.  Kenny Golladay

4.  Robert Woods

5.  Brandon Aiyuk

I love Lamb this year, especially if you go WR heavy early and can get him as your WR3.  I think he puts up more fantasy points than Cooper this year.  

1 minute ago, RedzoneMonster said:

I love Lamb this year, especially if you go WR heavy early and can get him as your WR3.  I think he puts up more fantasy points than Cooper this year.  

Disagree 

2 minutes ago, RedzoneMonster said:

He totally will.

He was like a top-10 WR in the five games that Dak played--and those were the first games of his rookie career, in a COVID year with no preseason and precious little practice.  Imagine what he's going to do with a full offseason under his belt!

The days of being able to get him in the mid- to late-5th are coming to a close, though.  People are starting to clue in.

The one league where I went Hill/Adams in rounds 1 and 2 I didn't get Lamb, though.  I got Golladay as my WR3 in that one--so I'm still pretty happy.

People are def forgetting the ppr year Cooper was having while Dak was on a record setting passing pace. Him or Lamb could def be top 10. I’m buying the whole cowboys offense this season after the heavy discount brought on by the collapse.