Sign in to follow this  
wolves111

New Off Coordinator Impact on Rankings

So Atlanta apparently under Arthur Smith will run the ball more this year with Mike Davis being featured. Julio gone, Pitts a rookie and Ridley  the number #1. Changes abound. Maybe Matty Ice will be able to stay upright this year. 

I've been to lazy to check but are there any other players being affected by coaching changes, specifically different off philosophies, that could do to a player what it did to Aaron Rodgers two years ago?

I find the coaching changes of the Chargers interesting.

First they hired a guy to his first head coaching position at any level when they hired Brandon Staley, former defensive coordinator for the Rams, and previously the linebackers coach for the Bears and Broncos.

Then, for an offensive coordinator, they hired a guy who is a former offensive coordinator for the Lions for two years.

So far, things don't sound promising.

However, in their first year under Joe Lombardi, Calvin Johnson and Golden Tate became the first pair of Lions' receivers since 2006 to each catch for 1,000 yards--and both of them, along with Stafford, were voted to the Pro Bowl.

Additionally, other than the two years he was the OC in Detroit, Lombardi has served as Drew Brees' QB Coach from 2009 to 2020.

So he should be an excellent mentor to guide Justin Herbert's development, and the outlook is rosy for Keenan Allen and Mike Williams (with the usual caveat about health).

However, Detroit RBs Ameer Abdullah and Joique Bell also combined for 908 rushing yards and 6 TDs under Lombardi (they added another 469 and 1 receiving), so I don't know if the outlook is as good for Ekeler and the other RBs.

Yeah that's an interesting team. Still feel they're weak at RB. After Ekeler it's iffy. Lombardi will try to make him Kamara West but Ekeler is fragile. Then again Kamara is as well so who knows. Cook is 34 but still decent. I'd like to see them add another WR and a 1-b RB.

Herbert seems to be the real deal. That clown from Stanford is gone anyway. Hopefully no more run plays from the two with eight seconds left.

I would think anyone in place of Anthony Lyn is an improvement. That their new OC’s last 11 years have been with Payton and Brees should bode well for Herbert.

I like to think Lombardi will consider Ekeler’s talent level closer to Kamara than Bell/Abdullah. 

7 hours ago, DrG said:

I would think anyone in place of Anthony Lyn is an improvement. That their new OC’s last 11 years have been with Payton and Brees should bode well for Herbert.

I like to think Lombardi will consider Ekeler’s talent level closer to Kamara than Bell/Abdullah. 

Yeah I'm encouraged by the recent articles about their offense. They still need a banger in the backfield to compliment Ekeler.

Chargers completely revamped the offensive line, which was considered one of the worst in the NFL last year.

New center - Corey Lindsey (Packers)

2 new guards - Oday Aboushi (Lions) and Matt Feiler (Steelers)

Drafted a new LT

The only holdover is RT Brian Bulaga, who was signed last year from the Packers.

So it may take a bit for all of that to gel.

12 hours ago, wolves111 said:

Yeah I'm encouraged by the recent articles about their offense. They still need a banger in the backfield to compliment Ekeler.

I agree what you said about another rb , they need a short yardage type. .

They do have Kelly and Roundtree and they are both about 210 lbs.  

It's gonna be interesting to see how quickly Seattle can gell. Defense and Special teams look pretty solid. On offense, the Oline at least on paper looks to be the best one they've thrown out there in year's. Wilson has to be happy that he was a part of hiring Waldren. Everything I've read about him is that he's supposed to be the next offensive genius, and all the Rams players really liked him. However, he's never actually called the plays. So is there gonna be a learning curve? If there is, how many games will it take for everyone to get comfortable?

I'd say Gerald Everett at TE might be the early beneficiary as he's the only one that actually knows the system inside and out.

New OC in Seattle should give an early boost. It will take time and film for league to get a read on him as a playcaller

I think the gell comes quickly.