"Climate Change" tipping point are upon us...

O! M! G!  Been a while I guess...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/climate-change-tipping-points-are-upon-us-draft-un-report-warns-the-worst-is-yet-to-come-185803244.html

A draft report by the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change warns that unless drastic and immediate action is taken to limit greenhouse gas emissions and keep global temperatures from rising further, life on earth is poised for a catastrophic reckoning. 

The 4,000-page draft, a copy of which was obtained by Agence France-Presse, states that mankind may have already missed its opportunity to keep the climate from passing a series of thresholds that will further spur the warming of the planet.  

“Life on Earth can recover from a drastic climate shift by evolving into new species and creating new ecosystems,” the report says. “Humans cannot.”

The thresholds, or feedback loops, include the melting of permafrost, which in turn releases methane gas into the atmosphere. This further amplifies the greenhouse gas effect, pushing temperatures even higher. As a result of the melting of the polar ice caps and loss of sea ice, the earth absorbs far more of the sun’s ultraviolet radiation and heat, which further contributes to ice melt. 

“I’m not optimistic. It’s not just because of those feedbacks, it’s because we’ve already put so much carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, and that carbon dioxide lasts a very long time,” Jennifer Francis, a senior scientist at the Woodwell Climate Research Center, told Yahoo News. “A molecule of carbon dioxide, on average, lasts about 100 years in the atmosphere. So we haven’t yet felt the impacts of the carbon dioxide that we’ve already put in the atmosphere. Even not thinking about feedbacks, we’ve already got a lot more climate change built into the system just because it takes a while for the climate system to adjust itself to this new level of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere. All the feedback that [happens is] just making that response even bigger than it would be otherwise.”

Since preindustrial times, the earth has warmed by 1.1 degrees Celsius. In its landmark 2018 report, the IPCC warned of dire consequences should humankind fail to keep average global temperatures from rising higher than 1.5 degrees Celsius. But most climate scientists now believe that meeting that goal will be all but impossible, given the rate at which emissions continue to rise. 

The draft report, which is being prepared ahead of the November meeting of world leaders at U.N. climate talks in Glasgow, Scotland, also cautions that 1.5 degrees Celsius of warming will require humans to adapt in ways almost unimaginable just decades ago. 

"Even at 1.5 degrees Celsius of warming, conditions will change beyond many organisms’ ability to adapt,” the report states. “Current levels of adaptation will be inadequate to respond to future climate risks.”

The costs of adapting to this new reality will be steep, especially in parts of the world where resources are already scarce.  

“Adaptation costs for Africa are projected to increase by tens of billions of dollars per year with warming greater than two degrees,” the report states. 

In another tipping point, the Amazon rainforest basin, where flora absorbs carbon dioxide and helps keep temperatures from spiking, could soon be transformed into a savannah, according to the report. 

The report also notes that coastlines around the world already experiencing sea-level rise will be forced to deal with uninhabitable conditions as tropical cyclones continue to strengthen. Heat waves like the ones gripping the western United States, and wildfire seasons that continue to set records around the world, will also only worsen over time. 

“The worst is yet to come, affecting our children’s and grandchildren’s lives much more than our own,” the report says.

The window of opportunity to stave off dire consequences is quickly shutting, the report warns. 

“We need transformational change operating on processes and behaviors at all levels: individual, communities, business, institutions and governments,” it says, adding, “We must redefine our way of life and consumption.”

Big focking deal.  We still have 10 or so years left according to AOC.  :dunno:

If this report is true, then we are screwed because there is no way we will be able to rein in China's pollution.  But I'm guessing when they try to "fix" this, it will be ALLLLL about handcuffing the US economy and turning a blind eye to China.

• Thanks 1

what a crock of chit

The article basically says we are changing the ecosystem, and probably forever...but we are unable to change our ecosystem to respond to climate change?

Did I read that right?

• Like 1

We are at the tipping point again?  Yikes.

Just imagine the arrogance it takes to assume one can control climate.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, RLLD said:

Cmon... all we have to do is redefine our entire way of life and consumption. Should be able to knock that out in a weekend. 

22 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Cmon... all we have to do is redefine our entire way of life and consumption. Should be able to knock that out in a weekend. 

Just ours though.  Not China, not Africa.

And you see, if you listen to the knuckleheads on FBG, everyone will follow America's lead on this.   Even though many many many of them complain about the USA constantly and how horrible we are at almost everything.

8 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

And you see, if you listen to the knuckleheads on FBG, everyone will follow America's lead on this.   Even though many many many of them complain about the USA constantly and how horrible we are at almost everything.

I find it amusing lately... seems like a huge number of Americans both hate America and criticize everything about it, yet still have that arrogance about America and assume everyone love us (they don't.)

If we are past the point of no return can we rid ourselves of the homo electrical vehicles and start fracking and pipelining shiit tons of gas around the country again?

47 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

And yet the only non-globalist, we need to manufacture here in the US, President we have had in 30 years was universally hated by the greenies.  The want conga lines of container ships delivering megatons of garbage from non-compliant China.  They want pipelines shut down, so we can transport essential oil halfway around the world.

Fock the greenies. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, supermike80 said:

I can just imagine China in particular laughing their arses off at us. I mean, what a bunch of wimpy poosays this country is becoming....

30 minutes ago, RLLD said:

I can just imagine China in particular laughing their arses off at us. I mean, what a bunch of wimpy poosays this country is becoming....

Its scary actually.  Seriously.   While China is building up its military, buying up US assets, making technological advances, we are fussing about what bathroom "Janie" should be allowed to use.

Yeah China dropped the ball on the vaccine.   We should be thankful they haven't been able yet to get out of their own way at times.  But it will happen.  And when it does, we won't be too worried about how many latinos are in our movies.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

Its scary actually.  Seriously.   While China is building up its military, buying up US assets, making technological advances, we are fussing about what bathroom "Janie" should be allowed to use.

Yeah China dropped the ball on the vaccine.   We should be thankful they haven't been able yet to get out of their own way at times.  But it will happen.  And when it does, we won't be too worried about how many latinos are in our movies.

I think we need to accept that the US is a waning power, and will become a victim of their own vices.  Likely within our lifetime China will emerge as the dominant power in the world. They do not play silly games like we do.....

When everyone shutdown for covid, it took like two weeks for the pollution to dissipate.

2 hours ago, supermike80 said:

Look, the climate crisis is not our fight alone; it’s a global fight.  The United States accounts, as all of you know, less than 15 percent of carbon emissions.  The rest of the world accounts for 85 percent.  That’s why I kept my commitment to rejoin the Paris Accord — because if we do everything perfectly, it’s not going to ultimately matter. - Joe Biden

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/speeches-remarks/2021/04/29/remarks-by-president-biden-in-address-to-a-joint-session-of-congress/

3 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

Look, the climate crisis is not our fight alone; it’s a global fight.  The United States accounts, as all of you know, less than 15 percent of carbon emissions.  The rest of the world accounts for 85 percent.  That’s why I kept my commitment to rejoin the Paris Accord — because if we do everything perfectly, it’s not going to ultimately matter. - Joe Biden

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/speeches-remarks/2021/04/29/remarks-by-president-biden-in-address-to-a-joint-session-of-congress/

I dont understand what this means..point?

3 hours ago, RLLD said:

I think the whole point is we CAN’T control climate. :doh: We can wreck it, but we won’t be able to fix it

11 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

I dont understand what this means..point?

I think it means that if America becomes carbon neutral tomorrow, it won't make a bit of difference on climate, since we only account for 15%.  The rest of the world (aka China and India) need to do their part too.

14 minutes ago, nobody said:

When everyone shutdown for covid, it took like two weeks for the pollution to dissipate.

Earth spiked a bit of a fever in 2020, partly because of cleaner air from the pandemic lockdown, a new study found.

For a short time, temperatures in some places in the eastern United States, Russia and China were as much as half to two-thirds of a degree (.3 to .37 degrees Celsius) warmer. That’s due to less soot and sulfate particles from car exhaust and burning coal, which normally cool the atmosphere temporarily by reflecting the sun’s heat, Tuesday’s study in the journal Geophysical Research Letters reported.

https://myfox8.com/news/earth-heats-up-due-to-pandemics-cleaner-air-study-finds/

1 minute ago, Drizzay said:

I think it means that if America becomes carbon neutral tomorrow, it won't make a bit of difference on climate, since we only account for 15%.  The rest of the world (aka China and India) need to do their part too.

Oh ok....cause again I was goign to re-iterate that ass much as we believe the rest of the world will follow our lead, we are delusional to believe it.  

3 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

Oh ok....cause again I was goign to re-iterate that ass much as we believe the rest of the world will follow our lead, we are delusional to believe it.  

So what’s your solution?

Just now, IGotWorms said:

So what’s your solution?

Focus on adaptation and not prevention.

Just now, supermike80 said:

Focus on adaptation and not prevention.

Let the world go to a hellscape and figure out how to survive as long as possible? Doesn’t sound all that appealing to me :( 

4 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Let the world go to a hellscape and figure out how to survive as long as possible? Doesn’t sound all that appealing to me :( 

Hellscape is a strong word.

Name 3 things that would fall under the definition of a hellscape.

Hellscape is a strong word.

Name 3 things that would fall under the definition of a hellscape.

Super hot. No water. Endless forest fires. Inhospitable. I mean do you not believe that will occur?

1 minute ago, IGotWorms said:

Super hot. No water. Endless forest fires. Inhospitable. I mean do you not believe that will occur?

I positively believe as you have so simple mindedly written it NO none of that will occur.

WTF does super hot mean anyway?

No water?  Anywhere?  The Earth is 95% water. It's gonna go away?   So so so so so so so dumb...So dumb

Inhospitable? Everywhere? Somewhere?  Where?  Do you know?  

See..and this is what we are up against when trying to have a reasonable discussion about climate change(which by the way I honestly believe is real).  

I positively believe as you have so simple mindedly written it NO none of that will occur.

WTF does super hot mean anyway?

No water?  Anywhere?  The Earth is 95% water. It's gonna go away?   So so so so so so so dumb...So dumb

Inhospitable? Everywhere? Somewhere?  Where?  Do you know?  

See..and this is what we are up against when trying to have a reasonable discussion about climate change(which by the way I honestly believe is real).  

So you don’t believe the scope of the problem. That explains your WAAAAAAY undercutting the solution.

Look I get it, it’s going to be very hard and potentially impossible to get every big country on earth on board in time. But failing means certain destruction. So to just toss up your hands…well, I’ve never seen a bigger display of defeatism.

Just now, IGotWorms said:

So you don’t believe the scope of the problem. That explains your WAAAAAAY undercutting the solution.

Look I get it, it’s going to be very hard and potentially impossible to get every big country on earth on board in time. But failing means certain destruction. So to just toss up your hands…well, I’ve never seen a bigger display of defeatism.

OMG  "certain destruction"  Thats not WAYYYYY overcutting the solution?

8 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

:lol: 

10 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Are dogs and cats living together?

2 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Do you really think you can control the global temperature?  We have studied rain, hurricanes, volcanoes and earthquakes much longer than global temperatures and we have been unable to control or predict any of those.  The same scientists that are predicting the things you speak of also told us in the 1970s that in 40 or 50 years we would be in an ice age because of the stuff we were putting into the air.

I agree we need to reduce global emissions but lets drop the hysteria.  We are more likely to be destroyed by the eruption of a caldera than global warming.  

Here is a good article discussing how this hysteria is weakening the US and Europe and strengthening Opec+

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/The-Unintended-Consequences-Of-Punishing-Big-Oil.html

worms actually had a legit pro earth President and traded him in for John Kerry, who can't fly commercial.  :lol: 

5 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Look at this graph:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:20200324_Global_average_temperature_-_NASA-GISS_HadCrut_NOAA_Japan_BerkeleyE.svg

Where do you think this goes? How does it end? It’s really quite simple.

Sorry sister but rising temperatures do not automatically equate with the destruction of humanity.

I mean not counting when the sun goes red giant and all.  Stop being so scared of your shadow.

I am curious why there are people like you, utterly terrified of this, that dont just end it?  I mean I don't want to live in this catastrophic world thats only a few years away..I dont want my kids to either..why are we allowing them to suffer like this

And don't say "we have to fix it" we cant...If you believe your climate change scientists, then the OP's article should convince you its over and you only have one decision left.

47 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

“Super hot. No water. Endless forest fires. Inhospitable. I mean do you not believe that will occur” - Chicken Little 

1 hour ago, IGotWorms said:

I think the whole point is we CAN’T control climate. :doh: We can wreck it, but we won’t be able to fix it

Fantastic, then there is no solution, good to know....