KayJay1971

You only get to listen to one band/singer for the rest of your life. Who is it?

You are stuck on a deserted island. You have an old Ipod that never loses it's charge. The problem is you can only fill it with one band/singer? Who is it? Keep in mind if you choose say, The Beatles you would get their entire catalog along with all of their solo and collaborative stuff. I think the best answer would be "USA For Africa" because you would get the solo stuff for all of those artists. My real answer would probably be Nirvana. 

5 minutes ago, KayJay1971 said:

You are stuck on a deserted island. You have an old Ipod that never loses it's charge. The problem is you can only fill it with one band/singer? Who is it? Keep in mind if you choose say, The Beatles you would get their entire catalog along with all of their solo and collaborative stuff. I think the best answer would be "USA For Africa" because you would get the solo stuff for all of those artists. My real answer would probably be Nirvana. 

Easy.  Moody Blues.  Been my favorite since the 70's.  I never get tired of them.

The Eagles

7 minutes ago, KayJay1971 said:

Nirvana????  Are you fukkin kidding me? 
 You're already stuck on a deserted island so you are depressed to begin with and you want to listen to Cobain?  Well, to each their own, I suppose. :cheers:

I'm thinking either Zep, SRV or mebbe Vedder.  On the light side, gimme some Beach Boys. 

1 minute ago, SUXBNME said:

You're already stuck on a deserted island so you are depressed to begin with and you want to listen to Cobain?  Well, to each their own, I suppose. :cheers:

I'm thinking either Zep, SRV or mebbe Vedder.  On the light side, gimme some Beach Boys. 

I was going to say Depeche Mode but changed it at the last minute. 

1 minute ago, KayJay1971 said:

I was going to say Depeche Mode but changed it at the last minute. 

Don't know if you are being serious or not, but I actually really like Depressed Mood Depeche Mode :)

Also, I changed my mind...I'll drop SRV and substitute The Cure.    Final answer 

6 minutes ago, SUXBNME said:

Don't know if you are being serious or not, but I actually really like Depressed Mood Depeche Mode :)

Also, I changed my mind...I'll drop SRV and substitute The Cure.    Final answer 

Oh I am serious. I would also consider The Smiths so I could get the Morrissey stuff too. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KayJay1971 said:

Oh I am serious. I would also consider The Smiths so I could get the Morrissey stuff too. 

How soon is now? 

3 minutes ago, SUXBNME said:

How soon is now? 

Well it's .....now. So I would say pretty soon? 

So if I choose Van Halen, I'm getting David Lee Roth's catalog, Sammy Hagar's catalog and whatever else Wolfgang Van Halen makes (Wolfgang just released his first solo album on June 11th of this year) plus some Michael Jackson songs and other collaborations and soundtracks.

If I choose Led Zeppelin, I also get Phil Collins and the Genesis catalogs as Phil Collins filled in as drummer for some Led Zeppelin performances in 1985.

11 minutes ago, KayJay1971 said:

Well it's .....now. So I would say pretty soon? 

I am the son
And the heir

Just now, JustinCharge said:

So if I choose Van Halen, I'm getting David Lee Roth's catalog, Sammy Hagar's catalog and whatever else Wolfgang Van Halen makes (Wolfgang just released his first solo album on June 11th of this year) plus some Michael Jackson songs and other collaborations and soundtracks.

If I choose Led Zeppelin, I also get Phil Collins and the Genesis catalogs as Phil Collins filled in as drummer for some Led Zeppelin performances in 1985.

Sounds fair.  Good choices :thumbsup:

31 minutes ago, SUXBNME said:

If you choose nirvana, you are also getting Grohl.

Just now, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Traveling wilburys.

That gets me the entire catalogue of Petty, Dylan, Orbison, ELO, AND the Beatles. 

Wow.

3 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

If you choose nirvana, you are also getting Grohl.

As much as I respect Grohl as a musician, I'll pass. 

5 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Traveling wilburys.

That gets me the entire catalogue of Petty, Dylan, Orbison, ELO, AND the Beatles. 

I win.

Now you're just cheating, Kevin Bacon :thumbsdown:

Lots of big ones, but I might just go with Dave Navarro, just because I get a female singer with an excellent catalog.  (Alanis).  I would get tired of a sausage party in my ear on this island after a while.

1 minute ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Just playing by the rules chief. 

Yea...I stand corrected.  I didn't read the initial post completely.  :wall:

You win, I lose....For now

Just now, JustinCharge said:

Lots of big ones, but I might just go with Dave Navarro, just because I get a female singer with an excellent catalog.  (Alanis).  I would get tired of a sausage party in my ear on this island after a while.

Allanis has a great catalogue? 

2 minutes ago, SUXBNME said:

Yea...I stand corrected.  I didn't read the initial post completely.  :wall:

You win, I lose....For now

I'm just surprised you didn't take steel panther. 

9 hours ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Traveling wilburys.

I win.

You only get the Beatles songs that Harrison sang.  :mad:

Actually the topic should not be band, but rather singer.  You get all of the songs in the world, but only one person to sing them.  Vince Gil, Raul Malo, probably a couple more.

9 hours ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Traveling wilburys.

I win.

This.  :thumbsup:

If I am being honest, probably Fleetwood Mac 

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Easy... Elton John

I'd probably go with this as a single performer/band, due to the extensive catalog of great stuff.  Tool is probably my overall favorite but their catalog isn't large enough.

If I'm playing the supergroup game, perhaps Asia, although I never liked Asia:

Asia are an English rock supergroup formed in London in 1981. The most commercially successful line-up was its original, which consisted of four members of different progressive rock bands that had enjoyed great success in the 1970s: lead vocalist and bassist John Wetton of King Crimson and U.K., guitarist Steve Howe of Yes, keyboardist Geoff Downes of Yes and The Buggles, and drummer Carl Palmer of Emerson, Lake & Palmer. 

9 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I'd probably go with this as a single performer/band, due to the extensive catalog of great stuff.  Tool is probably my overall favorite but their catalog isn't large enough.

If I'm playing the supergroup game, perhaps Asia, although I never liked Asia:

Yeah, the super group idea could prove to be a positive.  If I went that route, I'd probably take Genesis... so I could also get Phil Collins (solo stuff), Mike & the Mechanics, and Peter Gabriel.  I believe Steve Winwood did some work with them as well, but maybe only as a song writer... for them or maybe just Phil Collins.  There might be others as well, but I don't know of any other work other band members did.  Another option for me would be Chicago to get Peter Cetera's solo discography as well.  Like Genesis, I don't know enough of the band to know if they had other work.

4 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Yeah, the super group idea could prove to be a positive.  If I went that route, I'd probably take Genesis... so I could also get Phil Collins (solo stuff), Mike & the Mechanics, and Peter Gabriel.  I believe Steve Winwood did some work with them as well, but maybe only as a song writer... for them or maybe just Phil Collins.  There might be others as well, but I don't know of any other work other band members did.  Another option for me would be Chicago to get Peter Cetera's solo discography as well.  Like Genesis, I don't know enough of the band to know if they had other work.

IMO Genesis is different because they weren't a supergroup; you are describing work they did after the band.  I like that restriction better and pushes us towards actual groups like them or the Eagles.  I'd add that if somebody actually joins the group, like Hagar with VH or Dio with Sabbath, you do get all of their solo work. 

1 minute ago, jerryskids said:

IMO Genesis is different because they weren't a supergroup; you are describing work they did after the band.  I like that restriction better and pushes us towards actual groups like them or the Eagles.  I'd add that if somebody actually joins the group, like Hagar with VH or Dio with Sabbath, you do get all of their solo work. 

The OP said: "The Beatles you would get their entire catalog along with all of their solo and collaborative stuff."  In my opinion, Genesis and Chicago are similar.  I think "We Are the World" is kind of a cheating, as he mentioned also, because that's not really limiting you.  I think supergroups and alike is cheating.  I mean, if your thread title is "You only get one bandsinger...", then concoct ways to include hundreds (like super groups or "We Are the World"), then why bother with the "You only get one...".

Band like The Beatles, Genesis, or Chicago where you get those guys with the band and their residual career, is where it should be.  Because, you should only be able to get residuals after that.  So, if I take Genesis... all I get is their works, Peter Gabriel's, Phil Collins', and Mike Rutherford's and that's it.  I shouldn't get anything else from Mike & The Mechanics' band members just because I got Mike Rutherford.  I think if you take/allow supergroups and their residuals.. then why bother?  I mean, at that point, you will eventually have everyone.

11 hours ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Traveling wilburys.

I win.

That’s hard to beat. If you pick Band Aid, you’d get U2, Genesis, the Police, David Bowie, Kool and the Gang, Duran Duran, Culture Club, etc. Not a bad haul.

I can’t think of any one single band I’d like to exclusively listen to forever. The Beatles aren’t even in my Top 10 but I might have to pick them just for a vast, diverse and excellent catalogue.