Sign in to follow this  
wolves111

Have WR's Replaced RB's as Must Haves?

Simple question. Have WR's surpassed RB's as must haves?  In a PPR, 10 team, snake draft, you can have either Henry, Mixon, & Carson versus T. Hill, Adams, & K. Allen? The first group is picking at #3. The other is picking at #7. Who you taking? This is adp type rankings as of today.

?  

36 minutes ago, wolves111 said:

Simple question. Have WR's surpassed RB's as must haves?  In a PPR, 10 team, snake draft, you can have either Henry, Mixon, & Carson versus T. Hill, Adams, & K. Allen? The first group is picking at #3. The other is picking at #7. Who you taking? This is adp type rankings as of today.

?  

Wasn't there a season not too long ago where the pre-season consensus top 3 picks were all WRs? it was Antonio Brown, Julio Jones, and I'm forgetting the 3rd WR. I think every season is different.

Top back like Henry or Cook at # 3 , Tyreek Hill at # 7 , you can get an RB1 on the way back 

Is the OP asking if I had the third pick in  ppr league would I go rb or wr? 

Third pick I’m taking either Mccaffery, Cook, or Zeke at the third spot, at the 7th spot I would take T Hill.  

Have yet to see the zero rb strategy work with any consistency

When I played in ppr leagues taking a wr in late first round works  

one can find ppr Rbs later on , it’s what makes ppr so darn easy   

2 hours ago, DrG said:

Have yet to see the zero rb strategy work with any consistency

I had a 10 team Best Ball draft where I went zero RB through the first three rounds--Adams, Hill and Mahomes--that worked out pretty well.  Of course being best ball, the strategy was a little different (like Sermon/Mostert being the equivalent of one starting RB), but I liked how it came together...

Mahomes, Jones, Fitzmagic

Carson, Davis, Mostert, Sermon, Cohen, Mack

Adams, Hill, Golladay, Anderson, Fuller, Williams, Green

Higbee, Cook, Firkser, Uzomah

Cardinals K, Vikings K

Chiefs D, Titans D

2 hours ago, AxeElf said:

I had a 10 team Best Ball draft where I went zero RB through the first three rounds--Adams, Hill and Mahomes--that worked out pretty well.  Of course being best ball, the strategy was a little different (like Sermon/Mostert being the equivalent of one starting RB), but I liked how it came together...

Cardinals K, Vikings K

Chiefs D, Titans D

Can’t compare a best ball league to a real ff question, best ball is simply elementary.  

8 hours ago, AxeElf said:

Cardinals K, Vikings K

Chiefs D, Titans D

That team would be strong in a ppr league.

11 hours ago, weepaws said:

Is the OP asking if I had the third pick in  ppr league would I go rb or wr? 

Third pick I’m taking either Mccaffery, Cook, or Zeke at the third spot, at the 7th spot I would take T Hill.  

That's exactly what I'm asking. Is a T. Hill and A. Jones more viable than Henry and Metcalf in ppr? The person picking 3rd takes Henry and the person picking 7th gets Hill. Coming back around in the second round the 7th spot takes Jones and the 3rd spot gets Metcalf. Which team is stronger through two rounds? Are the great WR's a better investment than the RB's? It's not so much a zero RB theory but an emphasis on WR's in a game where the rules have been slanted towards the passing game.

9 hours ago, Smileseers said:

Henry over any WR no question.  

Throw your hat out the window and you can hit a starting WR in fantasy.

Yeah well how many times does the waiver wire produce rb's each year? How many great wr's are picked up? You can craft a debate to fit your narrative.

Just for fun I did a few ppr 10 team mocks, wow there is a lot of talent left on the board round after round with only ten teams. 

I took HIll every time on the first round and backed that up with Hopkins in the second most of the time, in the third I picked up Carson

i think in a small ten team league you can load up at wr with plenty of good ppr  Rbs left , Hunt , Edmonds , Drake, And also players like Robinson and Conner would still be available, they where fun, but once again doing those mocks just shows me why I stoped and my league did also doing a ppr league, I find them simply simple.  

3 hours ago, wolves111 said:

Yeah well how many times does the waiver wire produce rb's each year?

Usually about five or six.  So if you are weak at RB, be sure to save your waiver priority/FAAB and strike when the time is right.

2 hours ago, AxeElf said:

Usually about five or six.  So if you are weak at RB, be sure to save your waiver priority/FAAB and strike when the time is right.

Exactly.

3 hours ago, weepaws said:

Just for fun I did a few ppr 10 team mocks, wow there is a lot of talent left on the board round after round with only ten teams. 

I took HIll every time on the first round and backed that up with Hopkins in the second most of the time, in the third I picked up Carson

i think in a small ten team league you can load up at wr with plenty of good ppr  Rbs left , Hunt , Edmonds , Drake, And also players like Robinson and Conner would still be available, they where fun, but once again doing those mocks just shows me why I stoped and my league did also doing a ppr league, I find them simply simple.  

Yeah you need a calculator for sure but I still enjoy them. Years ago I was in a td only league (with pts for fg, etc). A 60 point week was gang busters. Tough league for sure.

In PPR, this starter 5-10 years ago.  10 team is going to provide much more depth, but due rbbc becoming more prominent, if you are not in a position to grab a top 3 rb,  drafting other positions in the 1st 3 rounds can be very rewarding

I think there are 5 top Rbs , after that fifth spot in a ppr league, I would go wr. 

4 hours ago, wolves111 said:

Yeah you need a calculator for sure but I still enjoy them. Years ago I was in a td only league (with pts for fg, etc). A 60 point week was gang busters. Tough league for sure.

Oh my soul, thank you for bringing that up, I used to love td only leagues, and your right they are very tough. 

And yea a 60 point game was amazing, I thought about td only leagues when Kamara scored all those tds in one game.  

Any one with him in a td only won. 

Thanks for the memories lol. 

I’m not saying zero rb can’t work, just that I don’t think it works very often.   

In ppr i know it works. 

4 hours ago, DrG said:

Thanks that was a fun one to read.  

On 7/3/2021 at 5:12 PM, wolves111 said:

?  

I'd take the RB combination.  In that 10-team (adp), scenario, I could get Cee Dee Lamb in R4, Robert Woods in R5, and DJ Moore in R6.

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I could get Cee Dee Lamb in R4, Robert Woods in R5, and DJ Moore in R6.

Unfortunately, people are starting to clue in.  Last BB snake I did (Friday evening), Lamb went at 4.3 (so you can't really count on him in the late 4th any more), and Woods went at 4.7, so he didn't even make it to the 5th.  Moore went in the 7th.

23 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Unfortunately, people are starting to clue in.  Last BB snake I did (Friday evening), Lamb went at 4.3 (so you can't really count on him in the late 4th any more), and Woods went at 4.7, so he didn't even make it to the 5th.  Moore went in the 7th.

Who's dropping?  Any one, two, or three guys consistently falling... or is it random?

My guess is that Evans, Godwin, Thielin, and Julio would be there at 4 and 5.  I'd have no problem taking any two of them if I'm getting Henry, Mixon, and Carson in rounds 1 through 3.  

I like that a lot better than getting Hill, Adams, & Allen in rounds 1 through 3 and hoping a couple of "JAG's" pan out.  To me, WR's are just way to deep to invest any real capital in.  In mocks, I'm looking at trying to get 3 RB's in the first 4 rounds.  I do like to target an RB1 and WR1 in the first 2 rounds, then go RB for the next 2 rounds round.  I have no problem with a guy like Montgomery being my RB3 in round 4...but not all that excited about him being my RB1.

22 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Who's dropping?  Any one, two, or three guys consistently falling... or is it random?

My guess is that Evans, Godwin, Thielin, and Julio would be there at 4 and 5.  I'd have no problem taking any two of them if I'm getting Henry, Mixon, and Carson in rounds 1 through 3.  

I like that a lot better than getting Hill, Adams, & Allen in rounds 1 through 3 and hoping a couple of "JAG's" pan out.  To me, WR's are just way to deep to invest any real capital in.  In mocks, I'm looking at trying to get 3 RB's in the first 4 rounds.  I do like to target an RB1 and WR1 in the first 2 rounds, then go RB for the next 2 rounds round.  I have no problem with a guy like Montgomery being my RB3 in round 4...but not all that excited about him being my RB1.

Ppr? 

1 minute ago, weepaws said:

Ppr? 

Since that was OP's question, yeah, I'm keeping my comments focused on that.

Thanks. 

I don't really think which one is a must have is the question, they're both must haves.

The thing is, the supply of decent, worthy of being in your starting line up WRs is much more than that of the same level RBs.

About half the teams in the NFL have 2 WRs that are at least flex worthy. A handful of them have 3. All of them have at least one.

The RBs, there's maybe 15-20 total. The last few of those aren't so hot either. Be honest, half the teams in your league start at least one garbage RB, some two.

If you're talking about a top 5 WR vs a top 5 RB, then it's more or less a toss up, could be either.

On 7/4/2021 at 9:15 AM, wolves111 said:

Yeah well how many times does the waiver wire produce rb's each year? How many great wr's are picked up? You can craft a debate to fit your narrative.

No. Generally speaking it’s easier to find receivers to fill your needs and help you win. There might be 4-5 sought after waiver wire RBs each season and you have to fight to get them. Sometimes you have no chance based on waiver priority or blind bid dollars available to you. 

assuming you start 2 RB, 2WR and 1 flex, there are many more fantasy viable WRs to draft. 

To answer the OP question, WR has not surpassed RB as must haves. You can make a case they are equally as important but imho RBs are still more valuable due to positional scarcity and higher injury risk. 

if forced to go RB,RB,RB or WR,WR,WR I would absolutely go three RB to start and feel better about my WR group at the end of the draft. 

I think that just depends on your draft spot. 

If your drafting late in a ppr I think one could take the top wr over lets say the sixth best wr.  

In a non ppr it’s rbs.  

10 hours ago, weepaws said:

I think that just depends on your draft spot. 

If your drafting late in a ppr I think one could take the top wr over lets say the sixth best wr.  

In a non ppr it’s rbs.  

the only thing I disagree on is when you say drafting late you could take the top WR. Last year that consensus was Michael Thomas. I know you can't predict those things but I think a case can be made in 2021 for Hill, Adams, Diggs, even guys who go in round 2 like Metcalf, Ridley, Hopkins etc. All have upside and all have question marks. 

Same can be said for the RB's available if youre drafting later in round 1.  The thing is, the talent pool at RB for your 3/4 turn picks will be drastically worse than the remaining WR talent pool.

I love Tyreek Hill and would probably happily draft him and then pair him with a Mixon or Ekeler. 

But since the OP is about going RB heavy or WR heavy to start, If I had a late first rounder, I would gladly take 2 of Aaron Jones, Ekeler, Mixon and then on my 3rd/4th turn I'll snap up Lamb and McLaurin. 

9 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

the only thing I disagree on is when you say drafting late you could take the top WR. Last year that consensus was Michael Thomas. I know you can't predict those things but I think a case can be made in 2021 for Hill, Adams, Diggs, even guys who go in round 2 like Metcalf, Ridley, Hopkins etc. All have upside and all have question marks. 

Same can be said for the RB's available if youre drafting later in round 1.  The thing is, the talent pool at RB for your 3/4 turn picks will be drastically worse than the remaining WR talent pool.

I love Tyreek Hill and would probably happily draft him and then pair him with a Mixon or Ekeler. 

But since the OP is about going RB heavy or WR heavy to start, If I had a late first rounder, I would gladly take 2 of Aaron Jones, Ekeler, Mixon and then on my 3rd/4th turn I'll snap up Lamb and McLaurin. 

I don’t disagree, the problem is we don’t know how thy will perform, and M Thomas was a late first rounder that did flop, but in a ppr league let’s say a 12 team league and I’m drafting 9th on back which I think is late I’ll take who I think might  be the best wr lol and then take the top rb on my cheat early in round two. 

I don’t agree going heavy in a ppr at all, I think a balance of Rbs and WRs is best, I know when I have participated in ppr leagues In the past if I drafted late I would take the top wr if available with my first pick, but I never did go wr, wr, wr. Now the leagues I’ve played in have always been simple , two Rbs two WRs and a flex so I like to try to draft as close to a balance team as I can without giving up to many points to my opponents. 

Plus the OP said it’s a ten team league, and even though that’s only two less teams, that’s a lot of talent still available, so drafting the best or who we think will be the best wr, is even an  easier decision for me, the round two return will still have a lot of talent at Rb still available. Plus the OP wanted to know if the owner drafting third and taking Henry and then drafting Metcalf in round two is better then the owner with the seventh pick taking T Hill and then A Jones in round two a better move. 

Even in my non ppr league , of my first three picks I want two Rbs and one stud wr. Of course those players might flop like M Thomas, but that’s just the way it’s going to be.  

41 minutes ago, weepaws said:

I don’t disagree, the problem is we don’t know how thy will perform, and M Thomas was a late first rounder that did flop, but in a ppr league let’s say a 12 team league and I’m drafting 9th on back which I think is late I’ll take who I think might  be the best wr lol and then take the top rb on my cheat early in round two. 

I don’t agree going heavy in a ppr at all, I think a balance of Rbs and WRs is best, I know when I have participated in ppr leagues In the past if I drafted late I would take the top wr if available with my first pick, but I never did go wr, wr, wr. Now the leagues I’ve played in have always been simple , two Rbs two WRs and a flex so I like to try to draft as close to a balance team as I can without giving up to many points to my opponents. 

Plus the OP said it’s a ten team league, and even though that’s only two less teams, that’s a lot of talent still available, so drafting the best or who we think will be the best wr, is even an  easier decision for me, the round two return will still have a lot of talent at Rb still available. Plus the OP wanted to know if the owner drafting third and taking Henry and then drafting Metcalf in round two is better then the owner with the seventh pick taking T Hill and then A Jones in round two a better move. 

Even in my non ppr league , of my first three picks I want two Rbs and one stud wr. Of course those players might flop like M Thomas, but that’s just the way it’s going to be.  

I don't exactly agree with going heavy either, though I am more apt to go heavy at RB if anything. I was just trying to tackle the issue in the eyes of the OP as a "what if" you had to go heavy in one direction or the other. 

Most of the time I would have the same thought process as you. A top WR in round 1 and a very good RB in round 2. Leaves me very open to go in any direction for rounds 3 and 4 with the flex in play.

Adams was actually #1 on my sheet last season but in most leagues, Thomas went first and in some of my leagues, as high as 5th or 6th overall. No one predicted what happened with Thomas but I guess my point is, if im going to swing and miss i'd rather it have been for a RB because later on (round 3 and beyond) I feel better about my ability to pick up more than solid contributors at WR. It's much more of a crapshoot at RB.

If you really want to challenge yourself, start with a Kicker in Round 1 and back it up with a Defense in Round 2, like Axe Elf did in a $250 RTFFC league a couple of years ago.

Bonus points for wasting your 5th round pick also, on a WR that wouldn't play a down all season (A.J. Green).

You might not be able to come away with a 2nd-place team like Axe Elf did, but it does make your leaguemates hoot a lot at the draft.

On 7/3/2021 at 8:26 PM, weepaws said:

When I played in ppr leagues taking a wr in late first round works  

one can find ppr Rbs later on , it’s what makes ppr so darn easy   

WP, so, you’ve never tried ‘Zero RB?’ 🤣

But I agree with you that late 1st rd makes total sense especially if you are looking at Tier 1 wrs vs Tier 2 rbs. And those of us who took Davante Adams last year in the 1st rd were pretty happy w the results.

41 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

I don't exactly agree with going heavy either, though I am more apt to go heavy at RB if anything. I was just trying to tackle the issue in the eyes of the OP as a "what if" you had to go heavy in one direction or the other. 

Most of the time I would have the same thought process as you. A top WR in round 1 and a very good RB in round 2. Leaves me very open to go in any direction for rounds 3 and 4 with the flex in play.

Adams was actually #1 on my sheet last season but in most leagues, Thomas went first and in some of my leagues, as high as 5th or 6th overall. No one predicted what happened with Thomas but I guess my point is, if im going to swing and miss i'd rather it have been for a RB because later on (round 3 and beyond) I feel better about my ability to pick up more than solid contributors at WR. It's much more of a crapshoot at RB.

Agree with your last point, as a draft and that’s any non ppr or ppr gets deeper into a drafts , the quality at wr is better then at rb. 

So in my 14 teamer non ppr I do like to pick up one stud wr to be a cornerstone for that position, and then attack Rbs heavy. 

35 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

If you really want to challenge yourself, start with a Kicker in Round 1 and back it up with a Defense in Round 2, like Axe Elf did in a $250 RTFFC league a couple of years ago.

Bonus points for wasting your 5th round pick also, on a WR that wouldn't play a down all season (A.J. Green).

You might not be able to come away with a 2nd-place team like Axe Elf did, but it does make your leaguemates hoot a lot at the draft.

Doesn’t say much about those league mates and their ability to draft.