Cloaca du jour

College athletes payday question

How do you think this will effect the NFL in the future.  Some of these college kids will make 7 figures..where is the incentive to go make bank in the NFL?  You may have athletes look at the rookie salary scale as a pay cut.

• Confused 1

Barkley made a decent point about this.

The few guys on a team really getting good payouts will create a divide and jealousy in thr locker room.  The star RB making good money because he is a Heisman hopeful.  And his 5 workhorse linemen that have thr best run blocking in the nation may get absolutely nothing.  

5 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

The few guys on a team really getting good payouts will create a divide and jealousy in thr locker room.  The star RB making good money because he is a Heisman hopeful.  And his 5 workhorse linemen that have thr best run blocking in the nation may get absolutely nothing.  

OR,  the 5 workhorse lineman band together and use the RB to get some dough :dunno:

Just now, TimmySmith said:

OR,  the 5 workhorse lineman band together and use the RB to get some dough :dunno:

How would they do that? Again we dont know the dynamics yet on how much or how many players will see money.   But if the RB is getti g 100k and thr 5 linemen get to share a party pizza....I dont think that will cut it.  

Without knowing how this will all work....I can at least say this will create some problems on some teams.  Possibly a ton of teams.

4 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

How would they do that? Again we dont know the dynamics yet on how much or how many players will see money.   But if the RB is getti g 100k and thr 5 linemen get to share a party pizza....I dont think that will cut it.  

Without knowing how this will all work....I can at least say this will create some problems on some teams.  Possibly a ton of teams.

Groups can use their likeness, same as individuals.  But, I do agree that it could cause friction.  I know it does in the NFL and probably every lockerroom. 

26 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

Barkley made a decent point about this.

If the RB is smart, he'll take care of his O-Line.  That's the way things used to work in the NFL. 

42 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

How do you think this will effect the NFL in the future.  Some of these college kids will make 7 figures..where is the incentive to go make bank in the NFL?  You may have athletes look at the rookie salary scale as a pay cut.

We'll see how things shake out, but I think most college football players who make 7 figures would be higher draft choices and get decent contracts in the NFL.

Somehow I see every Alabama RB getting paid 7 figures to do local commercials for Joe's Hauling in Tuscaloosa. 

I predict the U will be back at the top soon. ND will benefit as well. 

48 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

If the RB is smart, he'll take care of his O-Line.  That's the way things used to work in the NFL. 

Yeah I get that.  But we are talking probably like 100k.  Not a RB in thr NFL who signs a 5 year 60 mill deal.  Also these are college kids.  RB could be off to the NFL the next year and doesnt have to see these guys for the next 3 years.  

Also NFL linemen make more than NFL RBs.  We are talking college where the Heisman hopeful gets thr sponsorships.  Other very quality players may get nothing.  

I get what you are saying but the dynamics are very different.

1 hour ago, TimmySmith said:

Groups can use their likeness, same as individuals.  But, I do agree that it could cause friction.  I know it does in the NFL and probably every lockerroom. 

I see more friction in college when not every player is getting paid.  All NFL players get paid.  Plus these are 19 year olds.  They arent going to understand or accept that certain players get thr money and they don't.

Again we will have to see exactly how this all works. 

Also 19 year olds getting 100k is just going to create more idiots and problems.  Many 25 year olds in thr NFL don't know how to handle money or act with it.

57 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

Yeah I get that.  But we are talking probably like 100k.  Not a RB in thr NFL who signs a 5 year 60 mill deal.  Also these are college kids.  RB could be off to the NFL the next year and doesnt have to see these guys for the next 3 years.  

Also NFL linemen make more than NFL RBs.  We are talking college where the Heisman hopeful gets thr sponsorships.  Other very quality players may get nothing.  

I get what you are saying but the dynamics are very different.

Right.  College athletes aren’t going to get player contracts.  They’ll get paid for endorsements, commercials, autographs, sports cards, NFT’s, action figures, etc.  

If I were a college QB or RB getting endorsement $, I’d be making sure my O-Line was happy.  

At a minimum, they’d be eating free at any restaurants I endorsed.  And if a car dealership wanted me bad enough, they could throw in a 5 car lease deal for the guys while they’re at it. 

Just now, vuduchile said:

Right.  College athletes aren’t going to get player contracts.  They’ll get paid for endorsements, commercials, autographs, sports cards, NFT’s, action figures, etc.  

If I were a college QB or RB getting endorsement $, I’d be making sure my O-Line was happy.  

At a minimum, they’d be eating free at any restaurants I endorsed.  And if a car dealership wanted me bad enough, they could throw in a 5 car lease deal for the guys while they’re at it. 

How about the TE? 

Yeah of course these 19 year olds with deals can do good and get their teammates a piece of the pie.  But will they?  There won't be friction if the RB gets 200k cash and thr lineman get an all you can eat buffet?

How about not Bama schools.  How about the stud player for Syracuse gets a minor 70k from a local sponsor and no one 3lse on the team gets anything?

Im not saying Im against college players getting what they deserve.  I just think when dealing with kids, it will create a lot more drama and friction.  It is just natural.

I honestly don’t understand why a business would pay / endorse anyone who isn’t a superstar.  Going to be interesting how it plays out.  

40 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

I honestly don’t understand why a business would pay / endorse anyone who isn’t a superstar.  Going to be interesting how it plays out.  

Probably more.localized businesses

51 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

How about the TE? 

Yeah of course these 19 year olds with deals can do good and get their teammates a piece of the pie.  But will they?  There won't be friction if the RB gets 200k cash and thr lineman get an all you can eat buffet?

How about not Bama schools.  How about the stud player for Syracuse gets a minor 70k from a local sponsor and no one 3lse on the team gets anything?

Im not saying Im against college players getting what they deserve.  I just think when dealing with kids, it will create a lot more drama and friction.  It is just natural.

Interior O-linemen have always been the unsung heroes.  Even the pros don’t generally get lucrative endorsement deals.  

Offensive skill position and defensive players have a real opportunity to market themselves if they play well AND show some charisma.  

It’s really no different from the pros in that respect.  

I don't see how this would be any different than what has happened over the last 40+ years.  Now it is just out in the open.

9 minutes ago, Drizzay said:

I don't see how this would be any different than what has happened over the last 40+ years.  Now it is just out in the open.

This.

This is going to exacerbate the divide between big teams and small teams. Huge upsets will become even rarer. And don't worry about jealousy among the Alabama players.... most of them will get paid. The boosters will see to that.  The jealousy problem will exist on the small schools where only 2 or 3 players get paid.

This is such a bad idea. Sounds good on paper... "players should profit off their likeness", but in reality this is a disaster.

17 hours ago, vuduchile said:

Interior O-linemen have always been the unsung heroes.  Even the pros don’t generally get lucrative endorsement deals.  

Offensive skill position and defensive players have a real opportunity to market themselves if they play well AND show some charisma.  

It’s really no different from the pros in that respect.  

Right.  For endorsements.  But the players in the NFL all get paid well to play football.  That is my point.  It is VERY different.   Yeah the left tackle making 12 mill a year isnt going to create drama with the RB who makes 3 mill but signed a big endorsement deal.

It is vastly different when college players all of a sudden can get money.  And then some do and many don't see a dime.  

11 hours ago, Drizzay said:

This is probably correct.  

Only difference is they will probably see more benefits.  The all american RT may not know just how many gold chains the WR gets from the local jewelry store.  Now he will.

1 hour ago, listen2me 23 said:

Right.  For endorsements.  But the players in the NFL all get paid well to play football.  That is my point.  It is VERY different.   Yeah the left tackle making 12 mill a year isnt going to create drama with the RB who makes 3 mill but signed a big endorsement deal.

It is vastly different when college players all of a sudden can get money.  And then some do and many don't see a dime.  

The recruiters and boosters can compensate the non-superstars.  

They’ve been doing that anyway.  

22 hours ago, Cloaca du jour said:

None, but I think it will destroy the NCAA.

Just heard the owner of Top Team the UFC fighting gym is giving every Miami player 500 a month for talking about his gym on social media.

Gonna become the league of the haves vs have nots.  

12 hours ago, Drizzay said:

12 hours ago, Cdub100 said:

This.

Because it can be advertised, it opens up the options.  Bob's Tire Store were always "helping" out athletes who "needed a job", but now, they don't have to do that... they can get a write off for marketing.  Jim's Tire Store were always weary of this, so they stayed away.  Now, Jim can get in on the action.  So can Bill's Tire Store and Joe's Tire Store.  It means more chances for coaches and DA's to recruit without having to give out scholarships.  They can go to all these local businesses and see who's willing to give up some money and how much.  They'll go to kids and tell them all of the business opportunities they'll have and use that to get commits.  Now, there's nothing wrong with that as it's allowed, but it will destroy the college sports system for fans.  The "Power 5" will become the "Power 3" in a few years.

This won’t end well. Book it. Just like all the places that think not enforcing smoking weed in public and public urination and so on thought it was a good idea. Amazing that we have come this far in history and have so much experience and results to draw on and some think the population can be trusted to behave themselves without some regulation. Anyone want to go shopping in San Fran? We can go to the 950 dollar store.  Great deals to be had. 

13 hours ago, GobbleDog said:

This is going to exacerbate the divide between big teams and small teams. Huge upsets will become even rarer. And don't worry about jealousy among the Alabama players.... most of them will get paid. The boosters will see to that.  The jealousy problem will exist on the small schools where only 2 or 3 players get paid.

This is such a bad idea. Sounds good on paper... "players should profit off their likeness", but in reality this is a disaster.

this

100% correct and as much as it angers me,  I am holding out a little optimism. Maybe we can split D1 in half now and let those outside of the Power 5 compete against each other with their own playoffs/championship. I always wondered why Boise State types were competing in D1 where they could go undefeated and have zero chance at a title. 

14 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

This won’t end well. Book it. Just like all the places that think not enforcing smoking weed in public and public urination and so on thought it was a good idea. Amazing that we have come this far in history and have so much experience and results to draw on and some think the population can be trusted to behave themselves without some regulation. Anyone want to go shopping in San Fran? We can go to the 950 dollar store.  Great deals to be had. 

I see this as more of a move toward free enterprise and capitalism.  The open market will ultimately decide which of these athletes get paid and how much. Those other issues are something else entirely.  

Schools are still going to sell tickets, tv rights, concessions and branded merchandise.  If an individual player wants to use the college name, logo or uniform in their ads and endorsements, the school will also need to be paid.  

The NCAA dropped the ball on this by not addressing this on their own before it went to court.  They're the biggest losers here.  

This doesn't really bother me. 

Small schools can still compete against each other and their student-athletes can get a quality education if they choose to.  The big time schools have already entered the "One and done" era.  So, that landscape has already changed, especially in basketball.  

16 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

I see this as more of a move toward free enterprise and capitalism.  The open market will ultimately decide which of these athletes get paid and how much. Those other issues are something else entirely.  

Schools are still going to sell tickets, tv rights, concessions and branded merchandise.  If an individual player wants to use the college name, logo or uniform in their ads and endorsements, the school will also need to be paid.  

The NCAA dropped the ball on this by not addressing this on their own before it went to court.  They're the biggest losers here.  

Great observation!!  NCAA should have compromised long before this

12 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Great observation!!  NCAA should have compromised long before this

Vudu is 100 pct right on that. If they gave a little they would have been fine. I’m just saying in the age of me too and everything is racist there are going to be problems with this. The dopes in pro women’s sports think they should make as much as the men. Now imagine that mindset on college campuses. Imagine the QB who won’t be getting drafted high in the NFL, or at all, getting more than the RB who will. 

24 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Vudu is 100 pct right on that. If they gave a little they would have been fine. I’m just saying in the age of me too and everything is racist there are going to be problems with this. The dopes in pro women’s sports think they should make as much as the men. Now imagine that mindset on college campuses. Imagine the QB who won’t be getting drafted high in the NFL, or at all, getting more than the RB who will. 

Sadly, team sports are rarely about the team anymore.  Unfortunately, this exists at all levels. 

3 hours ago, vuduchile said:

This doesn't really bother me. 

Small schools can still compete against each other and their student-athletes can get a quality education if they choose to.

The best talent won't choose to.

When I was a student at UCF back in the 90's... Daunte Culpepper was our QB.  He actually applied to all the big schools, but was turned down. After two years at UCF, all those big schools came back offering scholarships and Culpepper told them to go to hell. They didn't want him then, they don't get him now.

That won't happen anymore when the Alabama deal also includes a six figure income from boosters.

1 hour ago, GobbleDog said:

The best talent won't choose to.

When I was a student at UCF back in the 90's... Daunte Culpepper was our QB.  He actually applied to all the big schools, but was turned down. After two years at UCF, all those big schools came back offering scholarships and Culpepper told them to go to hell. They didn't want him then, they don't get him now.

That won't happen anymore when the Alabama deal also includes a six figure income from boosters.

Hasn't that always been there under the table?

On 7/6/2021 at 11:24 AM, Hardcore troubadour said:

I predict the U will be back at the top soon. ND will benefit as well. 

Many schools have been preparing for this for several years.  ND apparently has created roles within the Athletic Department largely focused on branding and image for individual players.  It is a very smart approach.  The schools that can show that they are helping players maximize their financial opportunities will win the recruiting wars.  I would not be surprised to see some new recruiting leaders emerge because of their ability to help their athletes profit.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, fricker66 said:

Many schools have been preparing for this for several years.  ND apparently has created roles within the Athletic Department largely focused on branding and image for individual players.  It is a very smart approach.  The schools that can show that they are helping players maximize their financial opportunities will win the recruiting wars.  I would not be surprised to see some new recruiting leaders emerge because of their ability to help their athletes profit.  

Teams with national exposure that play in a major market will be the biggest winners in this. Alabama can’t be liking this. 

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Teams with national exposure that play in a major market will be the biggest winners in this. Alabama can’t be liking this. 

I think national exposure/major market is an "or" thing rather than an "and" thing.  Bama will be fine so long as it can keep its brand going when Saban leaves.  I think this is a wonderful opportunity for schools like Texas, USC, ND, Miami and Penn State to even the recruiting divide between themselves and the SEC.