Cloaca du jour

College athletes payday question

7 minutes ago, fricker66 said:

I think national exposure/major market is an "or" thing rather than an "and" thing.  Bama will be fine so long as it can keep its brand going when Saban leaves.  I think this is a wonderful opportunity for schools like Texas, USC, ND, Miami and Penn State to even the recruiting divide between themselves and the SEC.  

Maybe.  I think the SEC will be able to match anyone else, and they were already paying these kids way more than any other conference, should be a zero sum change really.  Though some of the other schools could make up some ground I guess.

• Like 1

to maximize efficiency, the top 20 college teams could band together and form their own national conference and ice the rest out.  this would streamline endorsement deals and make it easier to draw up contracts.  college players may unionize.

1 hour ago, RLLD said:

Maybe.  I think the SEC will be able to match anyone else, and they were already paying these kids way more than any other conference, should be a zero sum change really.  Though some of the other schools could make up some ground I guess.

Who says boosters will stop paying? Now the players can get two paychecks. 

2 hours ago, RLLD said:

SEC will be able to match anyone else, and they were already paying these kids way more than any other conference, should be a zero sum change really.

You're way overestimating the amount of cheating in the SEC.  It's the best stepping stone into the NFL.  Alabama certainly doesn't need to cheat. The top recruits want to play there. 

Mid-level football probably cheats a lot more than the SEC, because they have to.

23 hours ago, GobbleDog said:

You're way overestimating the amount of cheating in the SEC.  It's the best stepping stone into the NFL.  Alabama certainly doesn't need to cheat. The top recruits want to play there. 

Mid-level football probably cheats a lot more than the SEC, because they have to.

Lots of top schools and players have been caught cheating in the past.  USC, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Illinois, Georgia, Kentucky, Michigan, Colorado, SMU.

I'm pretty sure most of them cheat to some degree.  Some are just better at it.  

Wonder how long it'll take women to start complaining that female athletes aren't getting the same as their male counterparts.

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Wonder how long it'll take women to start complaining that female athletes aren't getting the same as their male counterparts.

I'm sure it will happen but this is a free market.  They're welcome to endorse any company that wants to pay them.  They can get an agent or a manager to work for them just like the men can.  

Also, if they're hot, they WILL get paid.  

That qb from bama has near 1 mill in NIL money and hasnt played a down.

Alabama is gonna get serious recruiting advantage

1 hour ago, vuduchile said:

I'm sure it will happen but this is a free market.  They're welcome to endorse any company that wants to pay them.  They can get an agent or a manager to work for them just like the men can.  

Also, if they're hot, they WILL get paid.  

Certainly, but that won't stop the complaining and court involvement... see USWNT.

11 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Certainly, but that won't stop the complaining and court involvement... see USWNT.

Who are they going to sue?  The USWNT is an actual team that gets paid.  Not quite the same as individual people getting endorsements from private companies.

30 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Why would the courts get involved? 

I heard some HS basketball player is getting a deal. This is gonna be great. We all know how well child actors turn out when they are given riches. 

1 hour ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I heard some HS basketball player is getting a deal. This is gonna be great. We all know how well child actors turn out when they are given riches. 

Yeah, the football police blotter was already a thing when they were supposedly highly supervised and poor.

I'm sure it will be fun watching a bunch of 20 year olds with 6 figures in their pockets party and whatnot. 

2 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

1 hour ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Yeah, the football police blotter was already a thing when they were supposedly highly supervised and poor.

I'm sure it will be fun watching a bunch of 20 year olds with 6 figures in their pockets party and whatnot. 

There will undoubtedly be issues. 

But I’m not a fan of these universities continuing to make money off these kids and slipping them money under the table.  

There’s absolutely no reason for schools to cheat and break recruiting rules now.  

I also think this will benefit some high performing women in college sports. 

There’s no career path for most of their sports beyond college.  This will allow them to make some money while they’re still playing. 

This is pure capitalism, and I’m all for it.  In retrospect, I’m shocked it took this long to happen.  

2 hours ago, vuduchile said:

But I’m not a fan of these universities continuing to make money off these kids and slipping them money under the table.  

There’s absolutely no reason for schools to cheat and break recruiting rules now.  

There’s no career path for most of their sports beyond college.  This will allow them to make some money while they’re still playing. 

This is pure capitalism, and I’m all for it.  In retrospect, I’m shocked it took this long to happen.  

Oh yeah, fock the ncaa. That system has been a disgrace for a long time.

The new order will have problems, but it's better than the old. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Who are they going to sue?  The USWNT is an actual team that gets paid.  Not quite the same as individual people getting endorsements from private companies.

14 hours ago, vuduchile said:

Why would the courts get involved? 

They'll sue the NCAA on grounds of Title IX violations.  Why?  Why not?  The USWNT may be paid, but they actually collectively bargained their deal.  They agreed to the terms and STILL went to court (and lost).  The point being, all women have to do is feel they're getting slighted and they'll assume it's simply because their women and not because no one cares about their sport.

I'll give you an example.  Let's just use basketball.  According to SI.com, Luke Garza is the #1 men's player in the country.  According to ESPN.com, Caitlin Clark is the #4 women's player in the country.  Both go to Iowa.  Let's say that Garza gets some kind of deal from someone for $250k... and that same someone gives Clark a deal, but for $50k.  That's it.  That's all it's going to take for either Clark or some libtard organization like the ACLU to argue that the NCAA isn't holding up to Title IX standards for allowing this kind of discrepancy for players doing the same thing.

11 hours ago, vuduchile said:

8 hours ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Oh yeah, fock the ncaa. That system has been a disgrace for a long time.

The new order will have problems, but it's better than the old. 

The easiest and best thing that should have been done was taking all of that money that was being made and use that to fund portions of scholarships and medical costs, for injuries sustained while playing the sport.  That way, neither the school (NCAA), the kids, or their families have to worry about the amount of money coming out of their pockets.

50 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

They'll sue the NCAA on grounds of Title IX violations.  Why?  Why not?  The USWNT may be paid, but they actually collectively bargained their deal.  They agreed to the terms and STILL went to court (and lost).  The point being, all women have to do is feel they're getting slighted and they'll assume it's simply because their women and not because no one cares about their sport.

I'll give you an example.  Let's just use basketball.  According to SI.com, Luke Garza is the #1 men's player in the country.  According to ESPN.com, Caitlin Clark is the #4 women's player in the country.  Both go to Iowa.  Let's say that Garza gets some kind of deal from someone for $250k... and that same someone gives Clark a deal, but for $50k.  That's it.  That's all it's going to take for either Clark or some libtard organization like the ACLU to argue that the NCAA isn't holding up to Title IX standards for allowing this kind of discrepancy for players doing the same thing.

The money being paid to these athletes won’t be coming from the university. 

It’s coming from various businesses or organizations that hire the athletes to promote their products or make appearances.  

Again, it’s a free market.  It’s up to Clark and her agent/manager to get the best deal they can.  

This is going to have terribly adverse effects. Once they start getting paid, they will lose their motivation to make it to NFL

23 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

The money being paid to these athletes won’t be coming from the university. 

It’s coming from various businesses or organizations that hire the athletes to promote their products or make appearances.  

Again, it’s a free market.  It’s up to Clark and her agent/manager to get the best deal they can.  

You have too much faith in people/system.  The USWNT had a CBA and went to court against their governing body on that very same CBA that they agreed to.  You don't think that the athletes who got an agreement with the NCAA won't take them to court on that same agreement?  Like I said, all it takes is one girl who thinks she's getting mistreated simply because she's a girl, and you'll see them in court.

26 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

You have too much faith in people/system.  The USWNT had a CBA and went to court against their governing body on that very same CBA that they agreed to.  You don't think that the athletes who got an agreement with the NCAA won't take them to court on that same agreement?  Like I said, all it takes is one girl who thinks she's getting mistreated simply because she's a girl, and you'll see them in court.

She can claim the school is promoting the men’s sports more than the woman’s, limiting her exposure and opportunity. Of course they are,  most everywhere but UConn.  See you in the funny papers. 

Just now, Hardcore troubadour said:

She can claim the school is promoting the men’s sports more than the woman’s, limiting her exposure and opportunity. Of course they are most everywhere but UConn.  See you in the funny papers. 

Exactly.  She can also make that same claim against the NCAA... and she'll be right.  The NCAA spends way more money promoting men's basketball over women's.  They spend way more money promoting baseball over softball.  Everyone knows this purely by societal norms.

4 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

That makes zero sense though.  The NCAA is not paying them and holds no responsibility for how athletes get endorsements.

• Like 1

Its another wrinkle to deal with. Colleges making millions off of a players likeness while giving the player peanuts in return should have been illegal a long time ago. I'm sure those players not getting paid will do just fine. They still love playing. They still want to get to the nfl. They will still get payed well once they get to the league.

18 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

That makes zero sense though.  The NCAA is not paying them and holds no responsibility for how athletes get endorsements.

It's the even playing field for men and women.  If the NCAA does not spend the same amount of money on women as they do men (which we know they don't), someone will try to use that in a lawsuit.  They will claim that the NCAA doesn't give women the same means and opportunity as they do the men and hence, can't get the same endorsement money.  Now, I'm not telling you that I think they'll win or deserve to win that kind of lawsuit, just that it's only a matter of time until it happens.

Just now, TBayXXXVII said:

It's the even playing field for men and women.  If the NCAA does not spend the same amount of money on women as they do men (which we know they don't), someone will try to use that in a lawsuit.  They will claim that the NCAA doesn't give women the same means and opportunity as they do the men and hence, can't get the same endorsement money.  Now, I'm not telling you that I think they'll win or deserve to win that kind of lawsuit, just that it's only a matter of time until it happens.

I guess I can see it from that angle.  It's stupid but I could see someone doing it.

5 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I guess I can see it from that angle.  It's stupid but I could see someone doing it.

https://sportslaw.uslegal.com/title-ix-and-other-womens-issues/

In 1979, the Office of Civil Rights (OCR) published regulations regarding how Title IX should be interpreted. These regulations compared areas of financial assistance and other funding categories for both men’s and women’s sports programs. Based on the OCR’s interpretation, these factors must be taken into account when comparing Title IX compliance between men’s and women’s programs:

(1) equipment and supplies;

(2) scheduling of games and practice time;

(3) travel and per diem allowances;

(4) tutoring;

(5) coaching;

(6) locker rooms, practice, and competitive facilities;

(7) medical and training facilities and services;

(8) housing and dining facilities and services;

(9) publicity;

(10) support services; and

(11) recruitment of student-athletes (e.g., budget).

Title IX ultimately analyzes whether or not money is being allocated equitably between men’s and women’s programs based on the number of students attending such schools. The key component in a Title IX cases is whether the institution developed a plan and carried out its mission to expand and accommodate the interests of female student-athletes, coaches, and administrators. Developing a plan is not enough: Carrying out its mission is the key.

6 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Anyone can sue for anything.  Doesn't mean it will hold up in court.  I don't see this as a winnable lawsuit, but we'll see.  

And again, I believe there will be many women who will profit from their NIL while in college.  How much endorsement money do you think the next hot pole vaulter will make?

We already have the twin volleyballers, plus this deal in addition to their Tik Tok money.   The opportunities will be plentiful.

Fresno State basketball players Hanna and Haley Cavinder, twins whose joint TikTok account has more than 3.3 million followers, have signed marketing agreements to represent Boost Mobile and Six Star Pro Nutrition.

So the hot chicks and QB’s will get all the money. Just like always. 

7 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

So the hot chicks and QB’s will get all the money. Just like always. 

Yeah, just wait until all the hot white chicks make the money and the talented black girls get scraps.  More from the Oppression Olympics!  White Privilege.

10 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Anyone can sue for anything.  Doesn't mean it will hold up in court.  I don't see this as a winnable lawsuit, but we'll see.  

And again, I believe there will be many women who will profit from their NIL while in college.  How much endorsement money do you think the next hot pole vaulter will make?

We already have the twin volleyballers, plus this deal in addition to their Tik Tok money.   The opportunities will be plentiful.

Fresno State basketball players Hanna and Haley Cavinder, twins whose joint TikTok account has more than 3.3 million followers, have signed marketing agreements to represent Boost Mobile and Six Star Pro Nutrition.

Oh, I didn't say they'd win, but I wouldn't discount the possibility nor the probability of regulations being introduced to avoid further litigation.  It will be a never ending road.