Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
wolves111

Draft Scorers, Not Position?

Recommended Posts

Cognizant of the fact that starting lineups require multiple players at rb and wr, is it as simple as just taking guys who can accumulate points regardless of position? Again, using my draft position (#3) would I be best served to take, as an example, Henry, Jefferson, and Mahomes, as opposed to grabbing multiple rb's 1-2-3 then filling in wr's and the balance of the lineup? Injuries will dictate outcome obviously but everything being constant, is the safest strategy to draft the best players regardless of position?

Dr. G had a real good read on rb's vs wr's over the past decade in a similar post. It would seem to support taking rb's early then wr's in rounds 4-7. What that does however is devalue qb and t/e to fillers for your lineup unless someone exceeds their ceiling.

I've tried just about every strategy since 1994 and have had varying degrees of success. One year when the kids were little and our house was like Home Alone on draft day I was late for the draft, and auto draft went WR in rounds 1-4. By the time I took control of the draft there were slim pickings at rb and qb. I finished in 2nd place when I essentially had written the year off. Dumb luck I suppose but interesting none the less. 

What am overlooking? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Draft Qb and Te in double digit rounds load up on wr and rbs. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is as simple as drafting (and picking up the free agents) who will score the most points.

This is how Axe Elf's prescience can help you, since most people can't tell who will score the most points before the season starts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AxeElf said:

It is as simple as drafting (and picking up the free agents) who will score the most points.

This is how Axe Elf's prescience can help you, since most people can't tell who will score the most points before the season starts.

Then sign me up!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, wolves111 said:

Then sign me up!!

You're already here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The truth is, any strategy can work if your team avoids major injury to early round picks, you identify some difference makers in the mid and late rounds and you remain extremely active on waivers and free agency during the season. 
 

last year you could have gone the route you’re saying by ignoring position and going after point scorers and picked say Lamar Jackson early (and waited for him to heat up) or you could have waited and been one of the last in your league to take a QB in Josh Allen. Could have gone RB heavy and hit on Justin Jefferson later or gone WR heavy and drafted David Montgomery. I don’t remember his 2020 adp but I’m guessing 4th or 5th round. Or hit on James Robinson or Mike Davis on waivers. 
 

Tons of ways to do it. I really believe the only constants are avoiding a big bust in the early rounds and hitting on a gem or two in the mid to late rounds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And don’t worry about the horse being blind, just load the wagon.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My philosophy is take who you want whenever you feel comfortable taking them. Its your team build it how you want. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By taking who you want whenever you feel comfortable might be a mistake, one should make a cheat sheet, and combine your own rankings to ADP rankings and ask the Football Guru, and this way one gets the players they want at the best value, while also adding other players that one might not have drafted because you drafted the players one wanted to early , I think it’s ok to reach for a player a round or a round and a half early but I’ve seen owners panic and take player three or so rounds early while passing on other good players that combine with the ones  they reached for could have made their team even better. 

And don’t worry about Qbs and Te and kickers and def when doing a cheat sheet right now, just work on Rbs and WRs and value those other slots later. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t overthink the draft, in the end it’s a very small part of a seasons success. Your guys randomly staying healthy and In season waiver and free gent activity is vastly more important.
 

You just need to not lose your season at the draft by making bad value plays and coming away with no depth. Johnny Dipstick at your draft for example takes an early QB, then another soon after “to trade” (lol). He barely comes away with 2 startable RBs because he’s busy taking lottery ticket backups and tight ends (plural), gets the best defense in rnd 5 and a kicker in rnd 8 because he’s filling roster spots. That’s the guy who lost his season at the draft. There’s a startling amount of people who follow faulty logic FF theories from 20 years ago and refuse to learn or adapt. They also defend them to the death which is even more cringe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2021 at 6:59 AM, weepaws said:

 I think it’s ok to reach for a player a round or a round and a half early but I’ve seen owners panic and take player three or so rounds early while passing on other good players that combined with the ones  they reached for could have made their team even better.  

I swear they have switched weeps meds or something lately cuz this is such valuable and correct info. I spend years trying to teach people this value concept and it falls on deaf ears or just goes out the other usually. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, tanatastic said:

I swear they have switched weeps meds or something lately cuz this is such valuable and correct info. I spend years trying to teach people this value concept and it falls on deaf ears or just goes out the other usually. 

its true.

I dont know how many times I tell people.  if you think this guy should be scoring like a first round pick, but you can likely get him in round 5.  Dont draft the guy in round 1

its like why pay the price of a cadillac when you can get the same car for the price of a Honda Civic.   If you feel that strongly about the guy grab him in round 4 instead of round 5 just to make sure you get him.  but dont take him in round 1 even if you feel thats where his true value is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ray_T said:

its true.

I dont know how many times I tell people.  if you think this guy should be scoring like a first round pick, but you can likely get him in round 5.  Dont draft the guy in round 1

its like why pay the price of a cadillac when you can get the same car for the price of a Honda Civic.   If you feel that strongly about the guy grab him in round 4 instead of round 5 just to make sure you get him.  but dont take him in round 1 even if you feel thats where his true value is.

Agreed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×