Mike FF Today

Round Eleven-Sixteen Commentary - July Mock 2021

Figured I'd get my backup TE and QB here.  As a Bear's fan I think Kmet is very talented at TE and he finished strong last year.  Fitzpatrick has proven year after year that he can put up some big games and he's great in a backup role in fantasy.

Somebody's going to get Julio's targets. How will Pitts transition to the NFL? Gage was a solid PPR performer last year, he may do even better this year.

I thought long and hard about Gage as well. It's a good situation.

ICEMAN

Not having to select a kicker gives me the opportunity to take the best player left on the board.  He was 10th in total passer rating on the #8  ranked offense in the NFL last year.  The defense is poor so he will always be in shootouts weekly.   4100 yards  27 TD's and 9 picks.  Dak is coming off of a horrific injury and Jalen given a shot to improve on last season.  I feel much better to now also have Derek Carr on my squad.

As some have pointed out, Jaylen Waddle probably should not have been available to me in the twelfth round (I actually considered him in the tenth), so I had to pounce.  He and Tua already have a connection and, in the slot, he should be peppered with targets.  He's the sixth WR on my roster, but could easily produce WR4 or even WR3 (if things fall right) numbers.

With four teams picking after me without a back up QB, I felt I needed to grab one now or potentially end up with QB 25 (since remote took three).  I would not be too comfortable with that.  Tua was less than ideal his rookie year, but he didn't have a lot to work with and he was a rookie that lost out on a lot of face to face time because of COVID (plus he was coming off that nasty hip injury).  They've upgraded his weapons and the o-line will not be starting three rookies this year.  I think he's a solid back up with the potential to put up low-end QB1 numbers if things fall right.

I really wanted Dillon to cuff to Jones.  I needed a TE so in round 11 I grabbed Irv instead of Dillon.  I planned on taking Dillon in round 12.  Guru swooped in and picked him up.  I went with my #5 Wr then in the 12th.  These picks are important but they are also educated hunches.  I gamble my late round hunches justify the luxury #3 Qb pick.  

23 minutes ago, Mr. Landry said:

As some have pointed out, Jaylen Waddle probably should not have been available to me in the twelfth round (I actually considered him in the tenth), so I had to pounce.  He and Tua already have a connection and, in the slot, he should be peppered with targets.  He's the sixth WR on my roster, but could easily produce WR4 or even WR3 (if things fall right) numbers.

With four teams picking after me without a back up QB, I felt I needed to grab one now or potentially end up with QB 25 (since remote took three).  I would not be too comfortable with that.  Tua was less than ideal his rookie year, but he didn't have a lot to work with and he was a rookie that lost out on a lot of face to face time because of COVID (plus he was coming off that nasty hip injury).  They've upgraded his weapons and the o-line will not be starting three rookies this year.  I think he's a solid back up with the potential to put up low-end QB1 numbers if things fall right.

I was shocked you let Gallup slide by you???  I would have bet on the vegas odds of you taking that cowboy right then.

12 minutes ago, remote controller said:

I was shocked you let Gallup slide by you???  I would have bet on the vegas odds of you taking that cowboy right then.

At 10.06 it was Gallup, Davis or Waddle for me.  I actually had Gallup typed up and then talked myself out of it.  Taking Davis will be my biggest regret of this draft  (unless he goes off and plays like a true #1WR for the Jets).  If I had a do-over, I would take Gallup.  I convinced myself that a #1 WR on a crappy team was better than the #3 on a GREAT team.  I think it was a mistake.  

Sorry guys. Had some server trouble today. I think we've got it sorted out but I'm still checking to make sure everything is intact.

3 minutes ago, Mike FF Today said:

Sorry guys. Had some server trouble today. I think we've got it sorted out but I'm still checking to make sure everything is intact.

7 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

I'm here

FBN did it!

Gage and Moore were my top receiver options last round (12th), so I'm glad one of them made it back to me in the 13th. I want to believe in Gage and his opportunity, but I'm having a hard time convincing myself he has much upside despite what could be a 120-target season. SEC defenses had no answer for Moore and I wonder if NFL defenses will either. He was this draft's discount version of DeVonta Smith and I tend to believe his early career will start the same way - not taking long before he's the top option in the passing game.

My hope is that we can power through this today and tomorrow. I'm out Friday for a trip to TN. 

Sorry guys I'm here, give me a few minutes.

Ralphster——you still there? If so, we can knock off 13 and get a good start on 14 now!

I was in such a hurry I almost sent in Daniel Jones, who I was going to take simply because he faces LV on Week 9.  I'll have to hope Fields is on the field by then.  Booker is a just in case pick, as Barkley is already using the phrase "without a timeline to return."

1 hour ago, ralphster said:

3 picks left, we were averaging close to 2 rounds a day earlier. should be good

You may have spoke too soon...

3 hours ago, Mr. Landry said:

You may have spoke too soon...

Is it time to pick for him?

Sucked it up and grabbed Williams.  Certainly not an excitable choice, but all the RB's left are sub-par and at least I'll have insurance for CEH.  Williams' ADP is right around this point so I don't feel like I overpaid for that insurance.  

darn you, RC

Not sure if this tactic will work out at all, but wanted to give it a shot with having 2 number 2 WR from the same team (Kirk and Green)

And is the board still acting funky for anyone else? It doesn't look like my posts are updating the "last replied" sort.:dunno:

27 minutes ago, Vikings4ever said:

And is the board still acting funky for anyone else? It doesn't look like my posts are updating the "last replied" sort.:dunno:

correct. I show iceman as the last reply but when I go into the thread I see your pick. 

Can someone contact Frozenbeernuts that he is OTC. Nice if we can wrap this up today.

Davis, WR will stack well with Allen my QB for the Buffalo Bills! I like him at 15.10.

Shovel, was it your plan all along to take both of the Pats TE's, or did it just fall that way?

3 minutes ago, worm said:

Shovel, was it your plan all along to take both of the Pats TE's, or did it just fall that way?

Only a plan as of round 13 or so. It's been a big ?? in my head which dude will be the primary target. Figured I'd give it a whirl to see if owning both assures some consistent points most weeks. Similar to what I did with Kirk/Green.

• Like 1

Shovel told me to have someone pick the best available D/ST for him now. He is OTC now.

12 minutes ago, robb said:

Shovel told me to have someone pick the best available D/ST for him now. He is OTC now.

Seriously? Why didn't he just send me a list?

As we finish up today, I want to say thanks to everyone for doing this and hanging through the forum disruption. I'll update the results table once we're complete and Katz will have his annual ball-busting review in a few days.

10 minutes ago, Mike FF Today said:

Seriously? Why didn't he just send me a list?

Sorry, found out late last night I would be around today. You beat me to the pick. Thanks though. 

8 minutes ago, shovelheadt said:

Sorry, found out late last night I would be around today. You beat me to the pick. Thanks though. 

All good.

We're all wrapped up for 2021.  My final pick was Salvon Ahmed.  At this point in the draft it's all about trying to find a diamond in the rough.  It's possible he could have an opportunity to do well, especially if Gaskin gets hurt.

I actually did think about Ahmed for a minute along with Booker.  I think he's a really good no-risk pick at this point.

Thanks Mike :cheers: