Sign in to follow this  
Mike Isles

Best Gambling movie

I don't know if it's the best but I did really like Rounders.  I saw it during my heavy poker playing days though so that may have influenced my opinion of it.

• Like 3

I don't disagreed with Rounders.  I liked The Gambler because of Goodman and this scene:

Jim Bennett: I've been up two and a half million dollars.

Frank: What you got on you?

Jim Bennett: Nothing.

Frank: What you put away?

Jim Bennett: Nothing.

Frank: You get up two and a half million dollars, any azzhole in the world knows what to do: you get a house with a 25 year roof, an indestructible Jap-economy sh!tbox, you put the rest into the system at three to five percent to pay your taxes and that's your base, get me? That's your fortress of focking solitude. That puts you, for the rest of your life, at a level of fock you. Somebody wants you to do something, fock you. Boss pisses you off, fock you! Own your house. Have a couple bucks in the bank. Don't drink. That's all I have to say to anybody on any social level. Did your grandfather take risks?

Jim Bennett: Yes.

Frank: I guarantee he did it from a position of fock you. A wise man's life is based around fock you. The United States of America is based on fock you. You're a king? You have an army? Greatest navy in the history of the world? Fock you! Blow me. We'll fock it up ourselves.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Meglamaniac said:

Let it Ride

Far and away the best gambling movie to gamblers

I wouldn't say the bust but I love, "Some People rub me for luck"  :shocking::banana:

Just now, Bert said:

I wouldn't say the bust but I love, "Some People rub me for luck"  :shocking::banana:

If you've gambled for a while it is the best, it perfectly captures the gambling culture/attitude/characteristics in it's portrials 

1 minute ago, Meglamaniac said:

If you've gambled for a while it is the best, it perfectly captures the gambling culture/attitude/characteristics in it's portrials 

I've gambled since I was 10 years old playing bingo and over and under at my Catholic School bizarre.  I go to Vegas 4 or 5 times a year.  I bet sports, fantasy football and golf, and home poker games.  The portrayals were not inaccurate but a little too cheesy.  Watch The Gambler those are much closer to the addicted gambler.  

15 minutes ago, Meglamaniac said:

Let it Ride

Trotter: Who do you like in the 2nd?

Looney: 6 horse.

Trotter: (crosses out 6 horse)  You got a brother?

Looney: In Cleveland.

Trotter: Call him up, ask him who he likes. I figure it's in the blood!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Vegas Vacation 

There is a commonality between the novice gamble in Vegas Vacation and the addicted gambler in Let It Ride.  They don't know when or can't walk away.

I gamble for entertainment.  Dropping $500 bucks at Blackjack is the same as dropping $500 for golf.  If you are continuing to lose but you love the rack on the dealer and the cocktail service is really good, so be it, that is entertainment.  It's like going to Disney or some super luxuries beach resort. Unfortunately, too many times the novice and the addict think the cards will turn and they will win.   

1 minute ago, Bert said:

There is a commonality between the novice gamble in Vegas Vacation and the addicted gambler in Let It Ride.  They don't know when or can't walk away.

I gamble for entertainment.  Dropping $500 bucks at Blackjack is the same as dropping $500 for golf.  If you are continuing to lose but you love the rack on the dealer and the cocktail service is really good, so be it, that is entertainment.  It's like going to Disney or some super luxuries beach resort. Unfortunately, too many times the novice and the addict think the cards will turn and they will win.   

Same. I’m gambling to have a good time. If I make some money off of it then fantastic. But I usually go in prepared to lose a couple hundred. Usually walk out either even or slightly ahead as my winnings have paid for my drinks. 

4 minutes ago, Mr Fantasy said:

The Hustler

Or the Cincinnati Kid. If we are talking great films. They are nearly the same film.

1 hour ago, Meglamaniac said:

Let it Ride

LOVED this movie

IM HAVING A VERY GOOD DAY!!!

21 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

Rounders easily

Maverick was fun too

Final poker scene in Maverick was dumb dumb dumb.  He didn't need to play it that way.  Coulda just folded, got a new dealer, etc...Then played it straight.

I liked the rest of the movie though.  Always watch it when it's on.

1 minute ago, supermike80 said:

Final poker scene in Maverick was dumb dumb dumb.  He didn't need to play it that way.  Coulda just folded, got a new dealer, etc...Then played it straight.

I liked the rest of the movie though.  Always watch it when it's on.

yah I was talking about the overall fun of the movie

the poker in itself was garbage

Id throw Tombstone to the top, for those who think Die Hard is a xmas movie

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

Uncut Gems

I know a lot of people loved this movie, including my GF, but I found it to be Meh. 

The Cooler was good.  Uncut gems sucked. 

1 minute ago, Strike said:

I know a lot of people loved this movie, including my GF, but I found it to be Meh. 

I like Adam Sandler when he plays straight.  And I liked uncut gems cause I thought the intensity was high the whole movie.  And Sandler played a great, intense, messed up, crappy character. And he played it well. 

1 minute ago, supermike80 said:

I like Adam Sandler when he plays straight.  And I liked uncut gems cause I thought the intensity was high the whole movie.  And Sandler played a great, intense, messed up, crappy character. And he played it well. 

as opposed to when he plays ghey?

6 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

as opposed to when he plays ghey?

Or when he plays stupid, with the exception of Happy Gilmore

idiots

• Like 1