Sign in to follow this  
jerryskids

We now have state-controlled media messaging

For Covid anyway.  I guess I appreciate their forthrightness, so we’ve got that going for us. :( 

Matt Taibbi is a liberal.  Well, a classical liberal, not what the Left has become.  Liberals used to oppose this stuff.

• Sad 2

I’m conflicted on this stuff. On the one hand, I’m concerned that the fringes of both parties have gone down the rabbit hole of propaganda and entirely fake “news” sources that deliberately spread lies. On the other hand, I don’t see any way that the government or social media can fairly police this stuff, since the line between spin and outright lies is often blurry. 

I have no idea what the answer is. If I ran Facebook though I’d stay out of the business if flagging posts at all except those that are potentially subject to criminal or legal action. 

10 minutes ago, MDC said:

I’m conflicted on this stuff. On the one hand, I’m concerned that the fringes of both parties have gone down the rabbit hole of propaganda and entirely fake “news” sources that deliberately spread lies. On the other hand, I don’t see any way that the government or social media can fairly police this stuff, since the line between spin and outright lies is often blurry. 

I have no idea what the answer is. If I ran Facebook though I’d stay out of the business if flagging posts at all except those that are potentially subject to criminal or legal action. 

Too bad we don't have an unbias media.  That would be great, right about now.

38 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

For Covid anyway.  I guess I appreciate their forthrightness, so we’ve got that going for us. :( 

And there it is.  The government is telling FB what to do.  Lib defense #4 coming. 

20 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Too bad we don't have an unbias media.  That would be great, right about now.

Also too bad the people most likely to complain about the biased media are the chief audience for moonbat conspiracy sites and partisan hack rags. 

7 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

And there it is.  The government is telling FB what to do.  Lib defense #4 coming. 

The fringe on the right controls nothing and has no say. On the other hand, the “fringe” on the left is calling the shots. It’s a wonder anyone would equate the two at this point.  It’s beyond trolling. It’s pure stupid now. 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, MDC said:

The answer is a media that isn't biased, that is willing to call out either party when they say or do stuff that's total bullsh*t.  I'm not gonna say the media never had a bias but it was a hell of a lot better back in the 70's and 80's.  I remember when they used to actually call out politicians for crap.  But now they're in bed with them.  I get it.  The cat is out of the bag.  But if the media did their job and we had a more informed electorate we'd be able to make informed decisions about who to put in office and not just keep electing the person with the biggest bankroll behind their campaign.

6 minutes ago, Strike said:

The answer is a media that isn't biased, that is willing to call out either party when they say or do stuff that's total bullsh*t.  I'm not gonna say the media never had a bias but it was a hell of a lot better back in the 70's and 80's.  I remember when they used to actually call out politicians for crap.  But now they're in bed with them.  I get it.  The cat is out of the bag.  But if the media did their job and we had a more informed electorate we'd be able to make informed decisions about who to put in office and not just keep electing the person with the biggest bankroll behind their campaign.

You’re not wrong but the average person is to blame too. CNN/FOX are infotainment and consumers eat it up. Legitimate investigative journalism has almost no audience, but crap like Breitbart and HuffPost does. People complain about bias when there is bias and when there isn’t. Consumers can’t tell the difference between bias and facts they don’t like. 

We pretty much get the media we deserve.

5 minutes ago, MDC said:

You’re not wrong but the average person is to blame too. CNN/FOX are infotainment and consumers eat it up. Legitimate investigative journalism has almost no audience, but crap like Breitbart and HuffPost does. People complain about bias when there is bias and when there isn’t. Consumers can’t tell the difference between bias and facts they don’t like. 

People like to hear what they want to hear.

8 minutes ago, MDC said:

Absolutely.  What do you think I meant when I said the cat is out of the bag?  The sad thing is I do think real journalism has an audience, and much like how Fox took off when it was created because there wasn't a conservative voice, if someone started an actual unbiased news station and maintained that, I think it would thrive.  Most of America isn't polarized like Fox/CNN/MSNBC and would love a truly honest news source.  I just don't think anyone can start something like that and keep it that way. 

The lies and disinformation have been extremely unhelpful and now everything is back up on the upswing with the Delta variant and many people refusing the vaccine in certain states.

But that said, I don’t agree with censorship. I wish people could just be focking smarter about what bullsh1t they believe on social media. No your cousin Marcie does not have a perfect life, and no the vaccine is not some timed release poison pill designed for mass population control :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Libtards didn’t speak out when Obama went after journalists. It got the rest of them in line and this is what you get.  

2 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

The lies and disinformation have been extremely unhelpful and now everything is back up on the upswing with the Delta variant and many people refusing the vaccine in certain states.

But that said, I don’t agree with censorship. I wish people could just be focking smarter about what bullsh1t they believe on social media. No your cousin Marcie does not have a perfect life, and no the vaccine is not some timed release poison pill designed for mass population control :rolleyes:

I’m somewhat amazed at the lack of empathy from the Left and Team Biden.  If you dig down to the bottom (and you don’t have to go far), what problem do folks on the right have with Covid info and the CDC?  Anyone?  The answer is that those folks do not trust those people.  They lied about masks.  They muzzled discussion if not outright lied about the Virus possibly coming from the Wuhan… Coronavirus Lab.  To get those people over it, they need to work to rebuild that trust.

Instead they think the the solution is to go all 1984 and take over/censor communication?  How incredibly stupid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Strike said:

I think one of the key changes was the GOP winning congress in 1994.  There used to be a gentlemen's agreement for 40 years there that the GOP would never, ever get legislation passed or change the nation because it couldn't win, while the democrats would enjoy supermajorities from time to time and push the nation left.  Everyone accept this as reality.  So everyone was cordial.

Once the GOP actually took congress in 1994, everything changed.  The GOP realized it could begin to actually make legislation and push the nation to the right.  The democrats realized the one-party state was dead and they had to share power.  So it turned vicious. And the media, which was always in the pocket of the left, dropped all pretense of fairness and turned into liberal rags pushing pure propaganda.   Now that sharing power was real, the gloves came OFF.

41 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I’m somewhat amazed at the lack of empathy from the Left and Team Biden.  If you dig down to the bottom (and you don’t have to go far), what problem do folks on the right have with Covid info and the CDC?  Anyone?  The answer is that those folks do not trust those people.  They lied about masks.  They muzzled discussion if not outright lied about the Virus possibly coming from the Wuhan… Coronavirus Lab.  To get those people over it, they need to work to rebuild that trust.

Instead they think the the solution is to go all 1984 and take over/censor communication?  How incredibly stupid.

Lied about masks? I think they just had it wrong at first. They didn’t know it was aerosolized or that so much spread is by asymptotic people. Remember, a mask DOES NOT do much in the way of stopping you from getting it. IT WILL help minimize spread if you have it and don’t even know it. That’s what they didn’t know at first.

And Jesus you guys are wildly contradictory. I mean all we’ve heard for a year is that masks are population control and you can’t make me wear one! :mad: But now you’re saying you don’t trust em because they didn’t make you wear one even sooner?? :wacko:

As for Wuhan, that was the Trump administration, no? I mean Trump was too focking stupid to go along with his own administration as usual, but it was their call to downplay or not fully investigate lab involvement. And it was the right call! I mean they should’ve investigated it fully and immediately, but as to the public what is the good of saying maybe it was a lab leak when you didn’t know (and STILL don’t know) if that’s true? Hell a bunch of focking dumbasses already attacked Korean Americans because they thought the Chinese did it on purpose—was that going to be any better if you irresponsibly speculated on the origins?

So no I don’t have a lot of sympathy. But I do agree that censorship is not the answer. I don’t know what is the answer, but it’s not that.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

I think one of the key changes was the GOP winning congress in 1994.  There used to be a gentlemen's agreement for 40 years there that the GOP would never, ever get legislation passed or change the nation because it couldn't win, while the democrats would enjoy supermajorities from time to time and push the nation left.  Everyone accept this as reality.  So everyone was cordial.

Once the GOP actually took congress in 1994, everything changed.  The GOP realized it could begin to actually make legislation and push the nation to the right.  The democrats realized the one-party state was dead and they had to share power.  So it turned vicious. And the media, which was always in the pocket of the left, dropped all pretense of fairness and turned into liberal rags pushing pure propaganda.   Now that sharing power was real, the gloves came OFF.

It’s an interesting theory but before 1992 you’d had almost 25 years of Republican presidencies. Yeah Carter was in there but one term! So the republicans had plenty of power before then

1 hour ago, Strike said:

Absolutely.  What do you think I meant when I said the cat is out of the bag?  The sad thing is I do think real journalism has an audience, and much like how Fox took off when it was created because there wasn't a conservative voice, if someone started an actual unbiased news station and maintained that, I think it would thrive.  Most of America isn't polarized like Fox/CNN/MSNBC and would love a truly honest news source.  I just don't think anyone can start something like that and keep it that way. 

Cable news in general is always going to be biased. Honestly the best way to get news today is to read the AP wire. No spin just facts. 

It's been that way for a while. Especially after the Clinton telecommunications act. They have total control over the media. Now they have control over what you're allowed to broadcast. 

The fact they have been totally wrong about covid, threaten doctors and pharmacist who had alternative medicine that totally worked.

They pushed lies not just about trump but other politicians and world events.

The fact they ignore what's going on in SA is criminal. 

Basically if you watch the news or read the published papers you are grossly misinformed about what's happening.

13 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

Basically if you watch the news or read the published papers you are grossly misinformed about what's happening.

Oh good! I get all my news here so I am good to go! 👍

• Haha 1

Yeah, we're to the point in the simulation where people actually justify this bullshlt.. Wow.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, IGotWorms said:

Lied about masks? I think they just had it wrong at first. They didn’t know it was aerosolized or that so much spread is by asymptotic people. Remember, a mask DOES NOT do much in the way of stopping you from getting it. IT WILL help minimize spread if you have it and don’t even know it. That’s what they didn’t know at first.

And Jesus you guys are wildly contradictory. I mean all we’ve heard for a year is that masks are population control and you can’t make me wear one! :mad: But now you’re saying you don’t trust em because they didn’t make you wear one even sooner?? :wacko:

As for Wuhan, that was the Trump administration, no? I mean Trump was too focking stupid to go along with his own administration as usual, but it was their call to downplay or not fully investigate lab involvement. And it was the right call! I mean they should’ve investigated it fully and immediately, but as to the public what is the good of saying maybe it was a lab leak when you didn’t know (and STILL don’t know) if that’s true? Hell a bunch of focking dumbasses already attacked Korean Americans because they thought the Chinese did it on purpose—was that going to be any better if you irresponsibly speculated on the origins?

So no I don’t have a lot of sympathy. But I do agree that censorship is not the answer. I don’t know what is the answer, but it’s not that.

No, Fauci lied, this is not in dispute.  It was a Machiavellian decision to save the masks for front line workers.  

So, why weren't we told to wear masks in the beginning?

"Well, the reason for that is that we were concerned the public health community, and many people were saying this, were concerned that it was at a time when personal protective equipment, including the N95 masks and the surgical masks, were in very short supply. And we wanted to make sure that the people namely, the health care workers, who were brave enough to put themselves in a harm way, to take care of people who you know were infected with the coronavirus and the danger of them getting infected."

Whether or not the masks work is irrelevant to the point, which is that in his mind he thought they worked, so he lied.  Also whether or not you agree with his justification doesn’t change that it was a Machiavellian lie.  So he would do it again.  

Also yes, the above lie was during Trump of course.  It would be interesting to see what his fans would think about vaccines if he were still the prez, but he isn’t, and we don’t know what he was told or not told on this matter.  Nevertheless, the whole reason we ended up with Trump is because he spoke to the people who believe that the government fundamentally does NOT have their best interest at heart.  Hence the need to rebuild trust.  I admit I don’t have an easy way to do that, but that is the problem they are making worse with actions like the OP.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, IGotWorms said:

TRUMP!!!!!!!  :cry:

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

It was pretty clear from day one that nobody knew what was going on with covid. And that's fine. They had no reason to.

But they tried to play the whole “avoid panic” game and just made up a bunch of sh!t to make people feel better.

Month later, when that stuff turned out to be less than accurate, people lost a lot of trust. Of course, there was also the whole “two weeks to flatten the curve” push... which was coming up on two years ago now.

And of course, both sides had to throw shade at the other, further undermining trust.

But bottom line... who in the fock actually trusts the government? About pretty much anything... I mean “I'm from the government and I'm here to help” is right up there with “I promise I won't cvm in your mouth” and “the check is in the mail” on the obviousl lie list. 

Both Facebook and reddit have been doing this for weeks now.

On reddit, on r/nfl, you can no longer post stories about players saying why they aren't getting vaccinated.

I'm on my 4th account over there and it's shadowbanned. 

Just now, IGotWorms said:

I don’t cvm in their mouth if I want to see them again, unless I can convincingly claim mistake which only works a few times.

Unless of course she’s a totally willing cvm guzzler :wub:

I love the ones who don't even ask you not to, and still get p!ssed when you do.

Generally, I think a gentleman should give warning, but in some situations, letting it fly is better. 

• Thanks 1

Why don't they ever flag CCP Twitter account on blatant propaganda? Remember when China tried to push thr idea that covid came from Europe?  Why are they never flagged.  Ive seen a ton of blatant propaganda tossed around by state ran chinese media accounts.  

Why don't they get Antifa off twitter?  They get anyone else off who is looking to organize a mob and do harm.  Antifa literally organizes on Twitter.

Biden could arrest trump, then begin to order mass arrests of republicans, then start death camps for them and the media would be directed on how to control messaging. Any posts to facebook about this would be scrubbed. Text messages could be scoured for dissents.  

its a smaller step than you might think.  

2 hours ago, JustinCharge said:

Biden could arrest trump, then begin to order mass arrests of republicans, then start death camps for them and the media would be directed on how to control messaging. Any posts to facebook about this would be scrubbed. Text messages could be scoured for dissents.  

its a smaller step than you might think.  

You’ve got to turn this all into a multi-book sci fi epic. I imagine it like Fahrenheit 451 meets The Fountainhead with a dash of Left Behind and Philip K Diick.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, MDC said:

You’ve got to turn this all into a multi-book sci fi epic. I imagine it like Fahrenheit 451 meets The Fountainhead with a dash of Left Behind and Philip K Diick.

its in the MSM media daily.  no need for a book.  Biden is openly coordinating with corporations to silence dissent.

President Joe Biden on Friday said platforms like Facebook are killing people by allowing Covid-19 vaccine misinformation on their services.

Asked what his message was to platforms like Facebook regarding Covid disinformation, Biden said "They're killing people."

"I mean they really, look, the only pandemic we have is among the unvaccinated, and that's -- they're killing people," Biden said on the South Lawn of the White House.

Biden was echoing earlier comments from White House press secretary Jen Psaki.

"We're dealing with a life or death issue here and so everybody has a role to play in making sure there's accurate information," Psaki said. "They're a private sector company. They're going to make decisions about additional steps they can take. It's clear there are more that can be taken."

He’s right. I still don’t agree with censorship but he’s right. Blood is on the hands of these folks, I don’t know about the tech companies themselves, that might be going too far (might), but certainly upon those that are spreading disinformation.

15 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

He’s right. I still don’t agree with censorship but he’s right. Blood is on the hands of these folks, I don’t know about the tech companies themselves, that might be going too far (might), but certainly upon those that are spreading disinformation.

Then you must also say blood is on the hands of Biden, Pelosi and the left for trying to frame the issue as racism in February 2020. 

19 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

Then you must also say blood is on the hands of Biden, Pelosi and the left for trying to frame the issue as racism in February 2020. 

I do? How so?

You also need to understand what’s racist is identifying it as the Chinese Flu or Wuhan Flu or Kung Flu or what have you. Simply saying that it originated in China is not racist. Asking if the Chinese government could have done more to prevent this, or contain it, or been more transparent, is not racist. Travel restrictions on people coming from China (or many other places) is not racist. HTH

2 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

I do? How so?

You also need to understand what’s racist is identifying it as the Chinese Flu or Wuhan Flu or Kung Flu or what have you. Simply saying that it originated in China is not racist. Asking if the Chinese government could have done more to prevent this, or contain it, or been more transparent, is not racist. Travel restrictions on people coming from China (or many other places) is not racist. HTH

So it was racist to call the Spanish flu the Spanish flu?

2 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

I do? How so?

Laughable