Sign in to follow this  
jerryskids

We now have state-controlled media messaging

On 7/15/2021 at 3:06 PM, jerryskids said:

For Covid anyway.  I guess I appreciate their forthrightness, so we’ve got that going for us. :( 

Matt Taibbi is a liberal.  Well, a classical liberal, not what the Left has become.  Liberals used to oppose this stuff.

The government has not censored anything on Facebook. They are publicly saying they don’t like it. That’s a huge difference. There is nothing illegal about that. Trump called the media the “enemy of the people” constantly… in both cases, they are expressing their dislike for something, which they are allowed to do.

Did you see Fox’s Doocy ask a question or two about this?

If you want a real example of government censorship, how about the anti-CRT laws that muzzle teachers?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, dogcows said:

The government has not censored anything on Facebook. They are publicly saying they don’t like it. That’s a huge difference. There is nothing illegal about that. Trump called the media the “enemy of the people” constantly… in both cases, they are expressing their dislike for something, which they are allowed to do.

If you want a real example of government censorship, how about the anti-CRT laws that muzzle teachers?

yep you are right the govt is not censoring, they are flagging and sending it to facebook for them to do as they wish

god damn you are focking dense

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

yep you are right the govt is not censoring, they are flagging and sending it to facebook for them to do as they wish

god damn you are focking dense

Name-calling and insinuations the best you got? And where was this outrage on media + government collusion when Trump was calling into Fox and Friends regularly, getting softball questions or often no questions at all - just a free platform to say whatever he wanted?

By the way, the “flagged” accounts weren’t due to spying… they were the findings of a non-government independent report. IMO, it would have been much smarter for Psaki to point that out before even getting into it.

And the idea that Facebook and Biden are working together… have you not been reading the news lately?

38 minutes ago, dogcows said:

Name-calling and insinuations the best you got? And where was this outrage on media + government collusion when Trump was calling into Fox and Friends regularly, getting softball questions or often no questions at all - just a free platform to say whatever he wanted?

By the way, the “flagged” accounts weren’t due to spying… they were the findings of a non-government independent report. IMO, it would have been much smarter for Psaki to point that out before even getting into it.

And the idea that Facebook and Biden are working together… have you not been reading the news lately?

really? Trump was telling Fox news to censor the left?

I dont give a sh1t if Biden talks to MSNBheehaw all day

also name calling is the only thing that resonates with leftist morons, thats why everyone is a racist bigot sexist

Facebook can delete anything they want. Do I agree? No.. Dangerous?  Yes,, but they're a private company.. The "fortifying" of 2020 election proved how much a large platform controlling a narrative can affect an election..

Any assistance that facebook gets from the Biden administration, makes facebook an agent of the state.  This is state sponsored 1st amendment violations.

4 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

Facebook can delete anything they want. Do I agree? No.. Dangerous?  Yes,, but they're a private company.. The "fortifying" of 2020 election proved how much a large platform controlling a narrative can affect an election..

Any assistance that facebook gets from the Biden administration, makes facebook an agent of the state.  This is state sponsored 1st amendment violations.

facebook should have been ruled like the phone company years, they should not be liable for anything on their platform, just as AT%T isnt but also a private company

1 minute ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

really? Trump was telling Fox news to censor the left?

2 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

Biden didn’t assist Facebook. He gave an opinion of what they should do. Trump gave his opinion on what the media, Facebook, and Twitter should do constantly. You’re being blinded by the partisanship…

Just now, dogcows said:

Biden didn’t assist Facebook. He gave an opinion of what they should do. Trump gave his opinion on what the media, Facebook, and Twitter should do constantly. You’re being blinded by the partisanship…

except I am not partisan, The WH is actively flagging information on facebook

let me know where Trump did that

1 minute ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

facebook should have been ruled like the phone company years, they should not be liable for anything on their platform, just as AT%T isnt but also a private company

Actually, Facebook isn’t liable for stuff on their platform. That’s what section 230 protects. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_230

1 minute ago, dogcows said:

Hmmm...

Psaki:  we're flagging FOR facebook

Facebook is a state agent.  This is no question.

Just now, Fireballer said:

Hmmm...

Psaki:  we're flagging FOR facebook

Facebook is a state agent.  This is no question.

You should try reading beyond the right-wing headlines someday. You might learn something. The White House can send lists of things it doesn’t like to Facebook if it wants to. Facebook can also ignore it if they want to.

If Facebook is a state agent, why are they having a public feud with the Biden administration right now? Is it just for show to trick people into thinking they aren’t “in cahoots”?

It’s not like Biden is threatening to shut them down… we need to go back one President to get threats like that against the press… his tweet:

Network news has become so partisan, distorted and fake that licenses must be challenged and, if appropriate, revoked,

I don’t recall any of the folks here complaining about this blatant call for censorship at the time. So why is it different this time when Biden asks for things to be removed from Facebook?

9 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

And that will magically change if Facebook doesn't ablige Biden admin.

Is Biden god-emperor of earth? Can he just change the law? Wake up to reality…. 

33 minutes ago, dogcows said:

34 minutes ago, dogcows said:

You should try reading beyond the right-wing headlines someday. You might learn something. The White House can send lists of things it doesn’t like to Facebook if it wants to. Facebook can also ignore it if they want to.

If Facebook is a state agent, why are they having a public feud with the Biden administration right now? Is it just for show to trick people into thinking they aren’t “in cahoots”?

It’s not like Biden is threatening to shut them down… we need to go back one President to get threats like that against the press… his tweet:

I don’t recall any of the folks here complaining about this blatant call for censorship at the time. So why is it different this time when Biden asks for things to be removed from Facebook?

I can't believe a grown man is so naive.  You're literally acting like politicians (both sides are crooked) play by the rules

46 minutes ago, dogcows said:

Actually, Facebook isn’t liable for stuff on their platform. That’s what section 230 protects. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_230

right, and they should be the minute they decide what is on that platform

they are governmentally protected by the same laws as your phone servers, yet are allowed to censor

2 hours ago, dogcows said:

Teachers are required to teach the curriculum. You think a teacher is allowed to say whatever they want in the classroom? You probably do, town clown.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dogcows said:

Others have said it but you are quintupling down on this remarkably naive notion that the government is not telling Facebook to delete specific posts.  In the real world, which is foreign to a lot of liberal idealists, it goes something like this.

Govt:  Hey, we think you should delete these posts.  Here is the list.  At your discretion of course, since we can’t make you do it.

FB:  Of course.  Thanks, we’ll take it under advisement.

Govt: Great thanks!  BTW we are thinking about re-evaluating some Section 230 statuses, thought you might like to know.

FB:  Awesome, thanks for the heads up!

BTW your Techdirt blogger sounds like he has stage 4 TDS and would prefer we would line up non-vaxxers and shoot them. 

• Sad 1

35 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Others have said it but you are quintupling down on this remarkably naive notion that the government is not telling Facebook to delete specific posts.  In the real world, which is foreign to a lot of liberal idealists, it goes something like this.

Govt:  Hey, we think you should delete these posts.  Here is the list.  At your discretion of course, since we can’t make you do it.

FB:  Of course.  Thanks, we’ll take it under advisement.

Govt: Great thanks!  BTW we are thinking about re-evaluating some Section 230 statuses, thought you might like to know.

FB:  Awesome, thanks for the heads up!

You have a very active imagination. You assume these things are happening, then call it “the real world” and tell other people they are naïve not to see it. Sorry, I don’t buy into your conspiracy theories. But there are plenty on this forum that do, so have fun.

Making unsupported assertions and calling people that question you naïve...  🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Teachers are required to teach the curriculum. You think a teacher is allowed to say whatever they want in the classroom? You probably do, town clown.  

Here is the next step following the anti-CRT bills:

https://www.theweek.in/news/world/2021/07/13/pak-authorities-seize-textbooks-with-malalas-picture-among-important-personalities.html

8 minutes ago, dogcows said:

You have a very active imagination. You assume these things are happening, then call it “the real world” and tell other people they are naïve not to see it. Sorry, I don’t buy into your conspiracy theories. But there are plenty on this forum that do, so have fun.

Making unsupported assertions and calling people that question you naïve...  🤦‍♂️

Alrighty then.  What is the purpose of the government flagging posts it considers disinformation?

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, dogcows said:

The POTUS should be allowed a free platform to speak to the people. 

And President Trump, unlike our current pudding headed "president", took all questions from all media, daily. He was always available for the press and answered everything off the cuff.

Unlike your hero who has to have note cards because he can't form a coherent answer to the simplest of questions. 

24 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Alrighty then.  What is the purpose of the government flagging posts it considers disinformation?

He thinks because Joe talks tough about Zuk in public, that they arent spooning each other off camera.  Yeah, the feds are just doing a favor for a private entity.

21 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

And the spokeswhoore saying that anybody who gets flagged for posting "disinformation" on one platform should be banned from all platforms. 

16 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Sorry, I’m not interested in a “connect the dots” exercise. It’s disingenuous, full of leading questions determined by you, and tailored to come to an incredible and undeniable conclusion at the end! If you want to insult my intelligence, just call me stupid instead and save us both a lot of time.

If you want to believe Biden is colluding with social media platforms to block conservative speech, fine, believe it. Of course, reality might throw a bit of cold water on your belief:

Feel free to check out that twitter feed... almost every day, right-wing sources are most, if not all, of the top 10.

If Biden and Facebook are working together to censor right-wing speech, they're doing a terrible job of it.

Trump pressured social media companies when he was in office as well. I don’t believe either he or Biden crossed the line into government censorship though. His tweet in May 2020:

Republicans feel that Social Media Platforms totally silence conservatives voices. We will strongly regulate, or close them down, before we can ever allow this to happen. We saw what they attempted to do, and failed, in 2016. We can’t let a more sophisticated version of that........happen again. Just like we can’t let large scale Mail-In Ballots take root in our Country. It would be a free for all on cheating, forgery and the theft of Ballots. Whoever cheated the most would win. Likewise, Social Media. Clean up your act, NOW!!!!

Now if he actually did something to make it seem like he’d go through with this threat, that would be concerning - but it never seemed to get beyond ranting. But being more worried about some supposed back-door dealings between Biden and Facebook than about direct threats seems a bit partisan to me.

Sorry, I’m not interested in a “connect the dots” exercise. It’s disingenuous, full of leading questions determined by you, and tailored to come to an incredible and undeniable conclusion at the end! If you want to insult my intelligence, just call me stupid instead and save us both a lot of time.

If you want to believe Biden is colluding with social media platforms to block conservative speech, fine, believe it. Of course, reality might throw a bit of cold water on your belief:

Feel free to check out that twitter feed... almost every day, right-wing sources are most, if not all, of the top 10.

If Biden and Facebook are working together to censor right-wing speech, they're doing a terrible job of it.

Trump pressured social media companies when he was in office as well. I don’t believe either he or Biden crossed the line into government censorship though. His tweet in May 2020:

Now if he actually did something to make it seem like he’d go through with this threat, that would be concerning - but it never seemed to get beyond ranting. But being more worried about some supposed back-door dealings between Biden and Facebook than about direct threats seems a bit partisan to me.

You won’t connect the dots because it’s really simple, there are only two dots to connect.  Your cognitive dissonance won’t let you do it though.  Or you can tell me the real purpose that I’m so obviously missing, in your mind.  

Also I didn’t make a general statement about Biden colluding with FB to block all conservative speech, I said that Biden is working with FB to censor information they deem against their messaging for Covid.  

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

You won’t connect the dots because it’s really simple, there are only two dots to connect.  Your cognitive dissonance won’t let you do it though.  Or you can tell me the real purpose that I’m so obviously missing, in your mind.  

Also I didn’t make a general statement about Biden colluding with FB to block all conservative speech, I said that Biden is working with FB to censor information they deem against their messaging for Covid.  

Again, you made up a little story about Biden’s administration supposedly using pressure of changing section 230 to coerce Facebook to take down posts it doesn’t want. Do you have any evidence of that? Sorry, I’m not going to just accept a story based on suppositions.

Both administrations expressed their desires to have posts left up or taken down. But for some reason it’s only nefarious when this administration is doing it? As I recall, Trump actually literally tried to change Section 230 with an executive order... which Biden revoked. Again, more facts getting in the way of an imaginary “I got an offer you can’t refuse” mafia scenario.

https://trumpwhitehouse.archives.gov/presidential-actions/executive-order-preventing-online-censorship/

• Like 1

Again, you made up a little story about Biden’s.....

Joe Biden is a child molester.   And you libs cheer him on.  

15 hours ago, dogcows said:

Again, you made up a little story about Biden’s administration supposedly using pressure of changing section 230 to coerce Facebook to take down posts it doesn’t want. Do you have any evidence of that? Sorry, I’m not going to just accept a story based on suppositions.

Both administrations expressed their desires to have posts left up or taken down. But for some reason it’s only nefarious when this administration is doing it? As I recall, Trump actually literally tried to change Section 230 with an executive order... which Biden revoked. Again, more facts getting in the way of an imaginary “I got an offer you can’t refuse” mafia scenario.

https://trumpwhitehouse.archives.gov/presidential-actions/executive-order-preventing-online-censorship/

Now you conflate “left up” with “taken down”?  And use Trump’s attempt to reduce censorship as equivalent to Biden’s censorship?  Were you drunk when you typed this?

And for at least the third time, it is a simple question, enough with the whataboutisms and changing the subject, which I’ve noticed you do a lot when you don’t like the topic — what is the purpose of the government flagging posts as disinformation if not for FB to censor them?

I’m not responding to you in this thread with anything but that question until you answer it.  Child.

• Sad 1

It is a bad deal.

I would love to see the vaccine misinformation dealt with, but having the government dictate to private companies what is allowed is a slipperly slope that all US citizens should fight against.

Any democrat that supports this should remember that the balance of power will shift, there will be a time in the next decade that the republicans have both the president and the congress. It is in their best interest to condemn this action even if it is for a good cause.

This is exactly what happened with the executive actions, obama started it and then Trump carried it even further and pissed the dems off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jerryskids said:

Now you conflate “left up” with “taken down”?  And use Trump’s attempt to reduce censorship as equivalent to Biden’s censorship?  Were you drunk when you typed this?

And for at least the third time, it is a simple question, enough with the whataboutisms and changing the subject, which I’ve noticed you do a lot when you don’t like the topic — what is the purpose of the government flagging posts as disinformation if not for FB to censor them?

I’m not responding to you in this thread with anything but that question until you answer it.  Child.

You want the discussion to stop to answer your question… ok. But if you want to play a game, shouldn’t both sides get a turn?

Biden administration’s stated purpose of flagging dangerous misinformation: Public health.

Now your turn. What was the purpose of Trump’s tweet threatening to shut down social media sites?

3 hours ago, dogcows said:

You want the discussion to stop to answer your question… ok. But if you want to play a game, shouldn’t both sides get a turn?

Biden administration’s stated purpose of flagging dangerous misinformation: Public health.

Now your turn. What was the purpose of Trump’s tweet threatening to shut down social media sites?

Social media is censoring people. Trump didn't censor anyone.

You need anything else?

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, dogcows said:

You didn’t really answer the question; obviously the government believes that the posts are misinformation and pose a public health.  The question is: what does the government expect FB to do with these flagged posts?

Let’s hash this out before we get into your latest whataboutism.  :cheers:

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, jerryskids said:

You didn’t really answer the question; obviously the government believes that the posts are misinformation and pose a public health.  The question is: what does the government expect FB to do with these flagged posts?

Let’s hash this out before we get into your latest whataboutism.  :cheers:

Let’s read the exact text of your original question:

On 7/18/2021 at 4:00 PM, jerryskids said:

What is the purpose of the government flagging posts it considers disinformation?

My answer: to protect public health. Sorry it wasn’t the answer you wanted. As I said before it started, I know how this game works. 

“Hash it out” just means me giving you the exact answers you want so you can slowly spin some narrative or “lesson.” If you think about it, that’s a one-man game. If you want to play with yourself, may I suggest there are some better websites out there for such things? 

1 hour ago, Utilit99 said:

Social media is censoring people. Trump didn't censor anyone.

You need anything else?

This is true. However, it’s perfectly legal for social media to do so. When Trump was President, it would have been illegal for him to do so. Is threatening to shut down social media legal? If he followed through, that would definitely be government censorship; since he didn’t, I don’t know.

2 hours ago, dogcows said:

This is true. However, it’s perfectly legal for social media to do so. When Trump was President, it would have been illegal for him to do so. Is threatening to shut down social media legal? If he followed through, that would definitely be government censorship; since he didn’t, I don’t know.

If he did it you mean? Plus this administration in the white house admits to working with social media to censor the people. How you are incapable of not seeing this is mind boggling.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Utilit99 said:

If he did it you mean? Plus this administration in the white house admits to working with social mefia to censor the people. How you are incapable of not seeing this is mind boggling.

Sorry, I believe the facts, not assumptions. The above is an assumption. The fact that you are incapable of seeing that you’re making a leap of logic from what happened to what you CLAIM is happening behind the scenes… is mind boggling. 

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, dogcows said:

Sorry, I believe the facts, not assumptions. The above is an assumption. The fact that you are incapable of seeing that you’re making a leap of logic from what happened to what you CLAIM is happening behind the scenes… is mind boggling. 

No assumption. jen psaki said it in a press conference that they are working with the tech companies on this. She said they aren't making the final decisions but they are "guiding" them.

• Sad 1