Sign in to follow this  
mmmmm...beer

Ready to Start Over?

Have to take the kid, she's blood and that's just the way these things have to play out. I couldn't sleep at night knowing I sent a blood relative child off to the system.

Privately, in the trust tree.... I wouldn't be stoked to start over. My youngest is 18, headed off to college in August. I've paid my dues, raised good kids, we're mid 40's and we're ready to transition into this next stage of life. I cringe around my friends who all have younger kids, I no longer have the patience to deal with kids, that aren't mine, full time.

• Like 1

Update... Washing State Soc Services called yesterday.  Need to set up a home study and background checks.  It'ss a good thing all my guns except the work ones fell in the river in that freak conoe flipping accident.

Seriously though, this is taking forever.  We're still looking at months before we get placement.  She's been in a couple foster homes since.   Then she'll have to be with us as a foster child for 15 months before adoption allowable.  The whole time we'll need to schlep her down to social services to her "parents" can zoom with her with a social worker intermediary.

A story like yours makes me stop and think about the 'little things' I complain about sometimes.

Hope it all works out.

3 hours ago, mmmmm...beer said:

Update... Washing State Soc Services called yesterday.  Need to set up a home study and background checks.  It'ss a good thing all my guns except the work ones fell in the river in that freak conoe flipping accident.

Seriously though, this is taking forever.  We're still looking at months before we get placement.  She's been in a couple foster homes since.   Then she'll have to be with us as a foster child for 15 months before adoption allowable.  The whole time we'll need to schlep her down to social services to her "parents" can zoom with her with a social worker intermediary.

Sounds like social services is doing everything to fock up that kids sense of being. Put the kid with a stable family who wants her and call it a day. All the time they needed was just to investigate your family structure and situation and background and if all is good, call it a day. Let the kid begin a new life and get grounded.

My sister and brother in law who were extremely well off tried to do a good thing by taking in an older kid who was stuck in the social services network for many years. She was like 16 at the time. The kid was so focked she couldn't handle some basic household rules. Curfew was the biggest problem that I know of. Not going home at the end of the night. Not respecting anyone. Always fighting against any small chores or rules. She never came around and basically when she got to the age of where she could go out on her own, she did. The chick was seriously on the road to disaster.