Sign in to follow this  
MTSkiBum

How Iran was trying to hack US military personnel computers - Facebook

Cyber warfare is going to be never ending now. You have to assume all of the major players( Russia, China, NK, Iran, etc) have cyber warfare bots on the majority of major social media sites, not just facebook. I assume that they are on Reddit, twitter, and large forums.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2021/07/facebook-catches-iranian-spies-catfishing-us-military-targets/

On Thursday, the social media giant revealed that it has tracked and at least partially disrupted a long-running Iranian hacking campaign that used Facebook accounts to pose as recruiters, reeling in US targets with convincing social engineering schemes before sending them malware-infected files or tricking them into submitting sensitive credentials to phishing sites. Facebook says that the hackers also pretended to work in the hospitality or medical industries, in journalism, or at NGOs or airlines, sometimes engaging their targets for months with profiles across several different social media platforms. And unlike some previous cases of Iranian state-sponsored social media catfishing that have focused on Iran's neighbors, this latest campaign appears to have largely targeted Americans and, to a lesser extent, UK and European victims.

Just now, IGotWorms said:

Do we have any foreign agitators here? 

Not likely, this forum is too small to target.

The boating forum I post at has 3000 online users right now, fftoday has 100 right now.

2 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Are you trying to tell us that people might be misrepresenting themselves on Facebook?

No, I am stating that foreign governments are using social media to infiltrate our military and other sensitive information.

30 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

Not likely, this forum is too small to target.

The boating forum I post at has 3000 online users right now, fftoday has 100 right now.

Good point.

Stuff can come up via Google search though. Then it’s found by others who are researching crazy right wing sh1t and becoming radicalized. So I wouldn’t totally write it off, but probably not. Some people posting weird sh1t though, like Russia is a beacon of freedom?? :wacko:

• Haha 2

Normal, stable people still use Facebook? 

There was a movie..the profile..about this.  Looked good but cant find it online

1 hour ago, MTSkiBum said:

Cyber warfare is going to be never ending now. You have to assume all of the major players( Russia, China, NK, Iran, etc)

All nations are trying to hack each other.  Let's not limit this to those 4 or call them "major players".  That's an MSM narrative that I find disturbing.  Stop buying into it.

Here a fun blast from the past.  The UK spies on US citizens.

https://www.mic.com/articles/50333/gchq-the-british-are-spying-on-us-more-than-the-nsa-is

Trump then accuses the UK of spying on him (when it is proven the UK spies on US citizens).  The UK says its an absolutely stupid assertion.

https://theconversation.com/trump-accuses-the-uk-of-spying-again-but-intelligence-agencies-have-learnt-to-ignore-him-115972

The UK cannot call it stupid when its been caught red-handed spying on US citizens by Snowden.

38 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

All nations are trying to hack each other.  Let's not limit this to those 4 or call them "major players".  That's an MSM narrative that I find disturbing.  Stop buying into it.

Obviously the intentions of Iran is different than one of our staunchest allies.

1 hour ago, MTSkiBum said:

Obviously the intentions of Iran is different than one of our staunchest allies.

I dont want to hear excuses for spying on americans.  Since the UK decided the way they wanted to handle it is to confidently state they didnt spy on this guy or that guy, ill play hardball.  All us newspapers and tv news stations will be required to run a headline every day that the uk spies on us citizens and refuses to give details to shame them. If the focking queen of england doesnt get on her damn knees before me and place documents at my feet telling me what hell they were looking at, ill start a special relationship with russia and hand intel to putin on uk military secrets.  Im not gonna be their biitch and have them spy on trump and laugh. If they want a nice guy republican they can deal with trump. Im gonna be MUCH tougher. 

2 hours ago, JustinCharge said:

True. UK, Germany, Israel, etc., I’m sure they’re all doing it. But espionage is nothing new, even where your allies are concerned.

We got caught spying on Germany. But that was during Obama. It was ok to spy on our allies then. And if anyone thinks that wasn’t done on behalf of his donors I have a bridge to sell you. The corruption of the Obama administration is staggering when you add it all up.  It’s good to be a black elitist leftist globalist shitbag

I've never been targeted... as far as I know.

Probably because I don't know anything.