Cloaca du jour

Catalytic Converter theft...

Anyone have theirs swiped?  They can do it in seconds.  Trucks and SUVs seem to be targets

Is it the platinum?  Whats the value?

https://www.npr.org/2021/05/08/994656425/theres-big-money-in-stolen-catalytic-converters

A huge increase in thefts of catalytic converters has hit the nation, for at least the second time this century. Thieves are sliding under cars and trucks and brazenly sawing off converters by the thousands. The attraction is the valuable metals inside the converter, an anti-pollution device.

insurance that covered about 90% of the $2,000 replacement cost.

Insurance payouts are stacking up, but many other theft victims don't have coverage. An Illinois-based group — the National Insurance Crime Bureau — is tracking the surge in catalytic converter thefts, says there's been about a ten-fold increase in thefts since 2018, with more than 14,000 reported being swiped in 2020.

The organization blames the under-vehicle crime wave on much higher prices for the valuable metals inside catalytic converters. One metal, rhodium, has skyrocketed to about $28,000 an ounce, though only a tiny fraction of that quantity — perhaps worth a few hundred dollars — goes inside each converter.

NICB executive David Glawe says the COVID-19 pandemic has cut production of the metals at overseas mines.

"The laborers in the mine have been reduced and the supply chain has been disrupted, which has drastically increased the cost of these precious metals to be mined and produced," he says.

Websites indicate recyclers pay $50 to $200 to legally obtain a failed converter, or one from a junked vehicle. But industry sources say with the high metals prices, it's possible for processors to make several hundred dollars per unit selling contents to the refinery.

Supposedly spray painting them orange with a high-heat spray paint is a deterrent.

It still doesn't help that the metal recyclers will take them.  Where do you think the methed-out guy got 15 converters to sell?  They obviously know they are hot, but don't care.

Florida used to have a problem with copper theft from outside A/C units. Many businesses built steel cages around the units.

In early 2000's the State increased penalties for stealing copper with long prison sentences and made it a felony for even trespassing on a construction site.  Then law enforcement went to the local metal shops that were buying the scrap metal and got them to require ID and full documentation of each sale to be sent to law enforcement.  After that copper theft seemed to decrease considerably.

Thx for the headsup, didn't know this was happening again.  Means someone will need to start parking the work truck at home again.  

I took mine off myself. I like a truck that sounds like a chainsaw. 

maybe someone stole the catalytic converter off of fftoday and thats why it went down recently.

I'm safe, I don't own a Cadillac

😉

Happening alot over here in western Massachusetts.