Sign in to follow this  
Death Pool Update: Bobby Bowden at 91...

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/31856730/bobby-bowden-peace-being-diagnosed-terminal-medical-condition

Hall of Fame college football coach Bobby Bowden has been diagnosed with a terminal medical condition, he and his family announced Wednesday.

"I've always tried to serve God's purpose for my life, on and off the field, and I am prepared for what is to come," Bowden said in a statement released by Florida State. "My wife Ann and our family have been life's greatest blessing. I am at peace."

Bowden did not disclose his condition in his statement.

The 91-year-old Bowden coached the Seminoles for 34 seasons before retiring in 2009 and is the second-winningest coach in Division I history with 357 victories. His teams won national championships in 1993 and 1999.

"Coach Bowden built a football dynasty and raised the national profile of Florida State University, and he did it with dignity, class and a sense of humor," university president John Thrasher said in a statement. "Although his accomplishments on the field are unmatched, his legacy will go far beyond football. His faith and family have always come first, and he is an incredible role model for his players and fans alike. He is beloved by the FSU family."

Bowden dealt with a "tough" bout of COVID-19 in October, which came a few days after returning to his Tallahassee home from a lengthy hospital stay for an infection in his leg. He was also hospitalized for five days in late June and told the Tallahassee Democrat earlier this month, "I feel fine, but I can't do much.

Bowden served as West Virginia coach from 1970 to 1975 before taking the Florida State job in 1976. He built the Seminoles into a national power, winning 12 ACC championships and national titles in 1993 and 1999. Bowden was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 2006.

"Bobby Bowden has meant everything to Florida State athletics and so much to college football in general," Florida State athletic director David Coburn said in a statement. "He has influenced so many people beyond just the players he coached, and the staff who had the privilege of working with him. He is a part of the heart and soul of FSU, but it goes beyond even that -- he is a big part of the history of the game. Anyone who has had the opportunity to be around Coach Bowden knows what it is like to know a person who has his priorities in the right order, who loves life and values integrity and honor."

Bummer.  :( 

Always seemed like a nice guy, unless you were a Cane or Gator I guess.

He’s 91. Everything is terminal. Hats off to him though. At a time when college programs were doing their best to avoid tough teams outside of their conference, Bowden took them on. 

Damn.  I thought that guy was too tough to die.  I've never been an FSU fan or so many of the drones that came through Tallahassee, but Bowden was a great coach.

When I first glanced at the thread title I thought it said Bobby Brown.  :lol:

Never liked Bowden. Academic cheating scandals, cash payments, free shopping sprees for players, recruited scumbags, wrote reference letters for scumbags, court witness for scumbags, never disciplined...

In fairness I am a lifelong Gators fan, but that's the reason I know his situation. I never had any animosity against former FSU coach Jimbo Fisher. But Bowden...  he'd do anything to get those wins, legal or illegal. Everyone likes him, but behind that smile and fat belly is a man with no morals.

6 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

Never liked Bowden. Academic cheating scandals, cash payments, free shopping sprees for players, recruited scumbags, wrote reference letters for scumbags, court witness for scumbags, never disciplined...

In fairness I am a lifelong Gators fan, but that's the reason I know his situation. I never had any animosity against former FSU coach Jimbo Fisher. But Bowden...  he'd do anything to get those wins, legal or illegal. Everyone likes him, but behind that smile and fat belly is a man with no morals.

Hypocrisy at it’s finest!  Brought by the University that produced Aaron Hernandez and the most unethical individual in collage football....Urban Meyer.  Meyer’s lack of morals made Sandusky blush.  

4 minutes ago, Bert said:

Hypocrisy at it’s finest!  Brought by the University that produced Aaron Hernandez and the most unethical individual in collage football....Urban Meyer.  Meyer’s lack of morals made Sandusky blush.  

Well, there weren't any academic cheating or paying players scandals under Meyer. But he recruited some real scum, no doubt. Gator fans admit that and he wasn't well liked even by fans. Inside word (from very high up) was Meyer actually left Florida not to "spend time with family" or "medical issues", but because his wife demanded they leave as he was screwing every chick he could find. 

Regardless, I still don't think much of Bowden. He was dirty as hell.

15 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

Well, there weren't any academic cheating or paying players scandals under Meyer. But he recruited some real scum, no doubt. Gator fans admit that and he wasn't well liked even by fans. Inside word (from very high up) was Meyer actually left Florida not to "spend time with family" or "medical issues", but because his wife demanded they leave as he was screwing every chick he could find. 

If you need to cheat at Florida…….

12 hours ago, GobbleDog said:

What about Galen Hall? 

Hate Bowden all you want but don't pretend UF athletics is/was any different.

Bowden is/was a good guy, IMO.  I consider the 80's and 90's the college heyday.  My bet is he has dementia. Seems to happen to a lot of coaches. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/31986091/long-florida-state-football-coach-bobby-bowden-dies-91

Bobby Bowden, the longtime Florida State football coach who ranks second all time in Division I wins, has died, the school announced Sunday morning.

He was 91.

Bowden was diagnosed with a terminal medical condition in July. He did not disclose what the condition was at the time, although his son Terry later told reporters that it was pancreatic cancer.

"I've always tried to serve God's purpose for my life, on and off the field, and I am prepared for what is to come," Bowden said in a statement announcing the condition. "My wife Ann and our family have been life's greatest blessing. I am at peace."

Bowden also dealt with what he called a "tough" bout of COVID-19 in 2020, which came a few days after returning to his Tallahassee home from a lengthy hospital stay for an infection in his leg.

Robert Cleckler Bowden, better known as Bobby, was born in Birmingham, Alabama, in 1929. He was a sickly child, diagnosed with rheumatic fever and spending a great deal of his youth in bed. It was then, listening to radio broadcasts, that Bowden developed a love of football. He listened to Alabama games on the radio -- and while football didn't cure Bowden, it certainly led to his life's calling. With his health back in check, Bowden played football at Woodlawn High School with dreams of going on to suit up for the Crimson Tide.

And that he did -- quarterback, no less -- but love eventually took precedence.

Alabama's policy at the time was that freshmen couldn't get married, but Bowden really wanted to marry his high school sweetheart, Ann Estock. So he did, and he walked away from his Tide career as a result.

He went on to play quarterback for Howard College (now Samford University). He also played baseball and ran track.

After graduating, Bowden got his first coaching gig, as an assistant at Howard. He parlayed that into another job, athletic director and head coach at two-year South Georgia College, which later led him back to Howard as head coach in 1959, where he'd coach until 1962.

His coaching prowess grew in that span, as did his wanderlust to coach larger schools.

His University Division (now called Football Bowl Subdivision) start was actually with the Seminoles, as wide receivers coach, from 1963 to '65. He then went to West Virginia to serve as offensive coordinator from 1966 to '69. He was named head coach in 1970, and had a 42-26 record with the Mountaineers.

The tragic Marshall plane crash in 1970 affected Bowden heavily in his first year as head coach. He petitioned the NCAA to wear Marshall jerseys and play their final game for them -- but the NCAA said no. Instead, the players added green crosses and "MU" to their helmets.

He said later that Marshall wanted him to be its next head coach. But in 1976, Bowden went to Florida State, mostly because it was warmer in Tallahassee and closer to his mother. His first year as head coach of the Seminoles wasn't his best -- they went 5-6 -- but it was his only losing record in his 34 seasons at FSU. In 1982, the Seminoles got their first bowl invitation under Bowden, which would lead to 28 consecutive bowl appearances and national championships in 1993 and 1999. For 14 straight seasons, ending in 2000, the Seminoles won at least 10 games and finished ranked in the top five of the AP poll.

His status as a Florida State legend -- and a legend in college football as a whole -- was established in that span. He and Penn State coach Joe Paterno were neck-and-neck at Nos. 1 and 2 on the winningest coaches list. In 2009, Bowden announced his retirement. The last years of his coaching career weren't stellar.

"Nothing lasts forever, does it? But I've had some wonderful years here at Florida State, you know it," Bowden said when announcing his retirement. "Hadn't done as good lately as I wish I could have, but I've had wonderful years, no regrets."

The Seminoles were left in the hands of new head coach Jimbo Fisher -- who had been named successor in 2007 -- after Bowden officially retired. Bowden finished his career with a win at the 2009 Gator Bowl. A few weeks later, the NCAA stripped Florida State of 12 wins from 2006 and 2007 when FSU was found to have committed athletic fraud. He's recognized as having 357 career wins, trailing only Paterno's 409.

Bowden and his wife had six children, including two college football coaches, former Clemson coach Tommy Bowden and former Auburn coach Terry. A devout Christian, Bobby Bowden has a Fellowship of Christian Athletes award named for him. He is also the namesake of Bobby Bowden National Collegiate Coach of the Year Award as part of a football club in Birmingham. The first award of its type went to Alabama coach Nick Saban. Bowden presented it to Saban himself.

Bowden was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 2006.

On 7/22/2021 at 5:01 AM, Hardcore troubadour said:

He’s 91. Everything is terminal. Hats off to him though. At a time when college programs were doing their best to avoid tough teams outside of their conference, Bowden took them on. 

Because there certainly weren't any inside the conference.

He only won 12 ACC titles? That shocks me. I would have guessed way higher.

Always seemed like a classy guy. T&P

On 7/21/2021 at 7:56 PM, GobbleDog said:

but he says he always tried to serve gods purpose?

On 7/21/2021 at 8:18 PM, GobbleDog said:

I can't belive anyone bought the spens time with family bs

On 7/22/2021 at 7:56 AM, GobbleDog said:

See I'm a lifelong vols fan. Anyone who beats the gators, especially when Spurrier was there, is ok in my book.

And we beat Bobby for the natty,  so I have a soft spot.