fandandy

Anyone listen to Jazz?

I have been listening to jazz in the background of late but I don't know the first thing about it.  Any album or artist recommendations?  Something light and relaxing preferably.  

I do the same sometimes, but couldn't name one "artist".  Just random background music form TuneIn or Pandora or whatever.  What I don't like is when a random jazz song starts in and they're blaring the horns.... nothing relaxing about that. 

5 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

I do the same sometimes, but couldn't name one "artist".  Just random background music form TuneIn or Pandora or whatever.  What I don't like is when a random jazz song starts in and they're blaring the horns.... nothing relaxing about that. 

I have been listening on Spotify's free version and the jazz is soothing and quiet so I'll turn the speakers up a bit to compensate if I'm in the other room and then one of their damn million-plus commercials comes on and it seems like volume is suddenly 100.

This is also where the Porshe Alexa commercial makes my Echo reply.  I hate you Porshe.  

I'm no expert... was in a jazz band in high school, and know a few jazz heads.

Firstly, there are different categories of jazz. Hot jazz, smooth jazz, cool jazz, acid jazz, free jazz etc. I'd be lying if I said I knew what those mean... hot jazz tends to be faster and louder. Free jazz is more improvisational.

Cool and smooth jazz are my favorites. Background noise.

Personally, I like my jazz with a female vocal. Give me Billie holiday.

Miles Davis is the other towering person you should check out. Check out kind of blue if you want an album. 

The  Coffee Table Jazz Playlist on Spotify is great.  That is our go-to while cooking/eating a big family dinner.

I don’t listen to a ton of jazz but I recommend Cal Tjader for relaxing, and specially if you like vibraphone. 

• Sad 1

Not at home but I love going to the jazz club downtown. I’d rather do that than listen to it at home 

I used to listen to a lot of jazz. I'm over it. Listen to Miles Davis' Kind of Blue if you feel like killing yourself.

13 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

I used to listen to a lot of jazz. I'm over it. Listen to Miles Davis' Kind of Blue if you feel like killing yourself.

I definitely don’t know any artists or names of songs. But jazz clubs are legit. Good atmosphere, good music, and good drinks. Plus, don’t have to worry about people getting in fights or shooting up the place either 

1 hour ago, MDC said:

I don’t listen to a ton of jazz but I recommend Cal Tjader for relaxing, and specially if you like vibraphone. 

WTF is a vibraphone?  Is it a chick wailing while pleasuring herself?  Sounds interesting if it is.... 

1 minute ago, DonS said:

WTF is a vibraphone?  Is it a chick wailing while pleasuring herself?  Sounds interesting if it is.... 

It's a phone for deaf people where they reply with whale noises when the handset vibrates.

• Haha 1

Does George Winston (solo piano) music count as jazz?  I like his different "season" CDs. 

I find too much of traditional jazz to be an annoying endurance contest.

I don't need to hear 20 minute riff by one artist. Only to be followed by the guy next to him and on and on.

Yes, I know the history. They did this so they could go out and smoke weed in the back.

2 hours ago, fandandy said:

and then one of their damn million-plus commercials comes on and it seems like volume is suddenly 100.

I feel that pain.

Worse is when it's early in the morning, everything's quiet, got classical music playing while sipping coffee and playing on-line chess... feeling good.  And then out of nowhere "SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY!  The biggest car deals on Earth!!!!!!!!!" 

You gotta be kidding.  How are they advertising on a classical station?  Go from chillaxed to :mad:

New Orleans is the birthplace of jazz. Start with Louis Armstrong. Ella Fitzgerald, Pete Fountain, All Hert, and go to preservation hall’s website New Orleans. There is a local radio station that you can get an online app for. I’ll link it tomorrow. 👍

4 hours ago, wiffleball said:

I find too much of traditional jazz to be an annoying endurance contest.

I don't need to hear 20 minute riff by one artist. Only to be followed by the guy next to him and on and on.

Yes, I know the history. They did this so they could go out and smoke weed in the back.

Go listen to the Dixie Chunks and hear worse. 

yes i do or should say did. cant go wrong with miles and coltrane. kind of blue and love supreme being their respective masterpieces. start there. 

Jazz is simply talented musicians warming up separately 

Try listening to Kind of Blue by Miles Davis

• Like 1