Sign in to follow this  
Brutal Brutus

DFS

My great state of Arizona has finally legalized gambling and DFS. Just wanted to see if any of you could give me some advise on general DFS information. (i.e. which site I should use, what tournaments are worth while, lineup construction strategies etc.)

I use Fanduel which is half Ppr 1qb 2rb, 3wr Te/D/Flex format. I like it but Draft Kings is PPR and know many who love it. Mostly for their millionaire maker contest. My advice is start out playing low-entry fee tournaments, till you get the feel of the SalaryCap.

There's so much computer-aided strategy and stuff these days that the big tournaments are more like playing the lottery than fantasy football.

I think the Double-Up and 50/50 contests are the best way to get consistent, if not huge, returns at an entry level of competition.  It's not that hard to finish in the top half of a 100 team league or whatever.

I've completely lost interest in it.   Probably never do it again.   

If you're just starting out I HIGHLY suggest you stick with $1-3 tournaments for the entire first year.  It will be super tempting not to, but trust me.  I've been playing regular FF for 20+ years, and it still took me a good year to really figure out DFS strategies.  If you want to enter higher priced/payout tournaments, I suggest waiting until later in the real life playoffs and even SB.  Yes, there are less real life players playing and the payouts aren't as big bc there are more ties, but your odds go up too.  I took that strategy last year - I played smaller tournies all year and was up $250 on they year prior to the SB.  I put in 25 x $10 entries into the Million Dollar SB tourny on FD.....and I actually came in FIRST PLACE  with one lineup!!!!     The "bad news" is so did hundreds of others, BUT I ended up winning about $2500.  Will probably never happen to me again, but man was the last 2 min of the SB tense waiting for Hill to make one more catch!!!

• Like 1

It’s just whoever picked the right obscure cheap options that randomly went off for 3tds that week out of nowhere. Whoever has the most “that helps no one!” players wins the big events. 

On 7/23/2021 at 3:20 PM, AxeElf said:

There's so much computer-aided strategy and stuff these days that the big tournaments are more like playing the lottery than fantasy football.

I think the Double-Up and 50/50 contests are the best way to get consistent, if not huge, returns at an entry level of competition.  It's not that hard to finish in the top half of a 100 team league or whatever.

Your bankroll should typically consist of no less than 70% of your entries go towards 50/50s and double ups. You can always play around with the remaining % to take a stab at some tournaments. 

I typically try to optimize 1-3 lineups based on the game stacks I like. Then I'll enter the same lineup into my double ups and tournaments. 

On 7/30/2021 at 1:19 PM, RedzoneMonster said:

If you're just starting out I HIGHLY suggest you stick with $1-3 tournaments for the entire first year.  It will be super tempting not to, but trust me.  I've been playing regular FF for 20+ years, and it still took me a good year to really figure out DFS strategies.  If you want to enter higher priced/payout tournaments, I suggest waiting until later in the real life playoffs and even SB.  Yes, there are less real life players playing and the payouts aren't as big bc there are more ties, but your odds go up too.  I took that strategy last year - I played smaller tournies all year and was up $250 on they year prior to the SB.  I put in 25 x $10 entries into the Million Dollar SB tourny on FD.....and I actually came in FIRST PLACE  with one lineup!!!!     The "bad news" is so did hundreds of others, BUT I ended up winning about $2500.  Will probably never happen to me again, but man was the last 2 min of the SB tense waiting for Hill to make one more catch!!!

No offense but this is not very sound advice just because you got lucky once during a 1-3 game slate. For starters you should focus on the double ups and 50/50s. Playing in a small slate such as playoffs almost guarantees a shared payout every time. It's similar to showdown contests where everyone has the same lineup. This actually makes winning in double ups and 50/50s harder in fact. My recommendation is to try to come up with 1 lineup that you really like. Might seem hard but start there. Enter that 1 lineup in no less than 70% 50/50s and double ups. 30% in tournaments.  

I've been doing FanDuel for a few years, now.  I usually do a high-$ contest a week - $25K to $50K?  But - SINGLE ENTRY! 

I also do a 50/50, if I'm comfortable with putting my line-up together (most weeks; sometimes NOT, though).

Tip: if a top-tier player is OUT, focus on roster-building with the replacement player.  They are usually dirt-cheap (at least the first week, with no stats to go on), and will allow you to spend your cap on more established players.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2021 at 2:20 PM, AxeElf said:

I only play large field tournaments single entry to 5 max entries. I like a field around 7 -10k maybe up to 25k, usually do 1- $100, 2- $50 ones, and 3 to 5 $33 one with the 5 max entry. Been winning a lot of money for years doing this. If you dont want to spend that much to start, spend $99 on 3 teams on DK... 5 entry max. Of course you have to be contrarian, but only on a few players. Look at the match ups etc... I am a member at fantasy alarm, and I get my % owned estimate. Go for it dude, who wants to make $50 ? 

On 7/23/2021 at 1:56 PM, Brutal Brutus said:

My great state of Arizona has finally legalized gambling and DFS. Just wanted to see if any of you could give me some advise on general DFS information. (i.e. which site I should use, what tournaments are worth while, lineup construction strategies etc.)

Don't do public tournaments. They are rigged

DFS is just proof that fantasy football is like 90% luck.  Anyone who plays these things are suckers unless you want to just use these sites to have your own league of 10, 12, or whatever, teams.

On 8/4/2021 at 4:13 PM, TBayXXXVII said:

DFS is just proof that fantasy football is like 90% luck.  Anyone who plays these things are suckers unless you want to just use these sites to have your own league of 10, 12, or whatever, teams.

On 8/4/2021 at 5:52 AM, Frozenbeernuts said:

Don't do public tournaments. They are rigged

This and this!!    I tried to get my regular fantasy football league interested, but none were open to it.   It would be cool to play DFS style against peers that I know and it's only them in the game.  That tourney is rigged for sure!   

4 minutes ago, Maulers1973 said:

This and this!!    I tried to get my regular fantasy football league interested, but none were open to it.   It would be cool to play DFS style against peers that I know and it's only them in the game.  That tourney is rigged for sure!   

My brother keeps trying to get our keeper league to do a side league like this, but only 5 other guys were into it.  I think 1 or 2 were convinced to do it, I'm still not.  I just have no interest in it.  Last year, one league that my brother and I are partners in, went to a DFS style because half the league was apprehensive of the COVID issue.  It just confirmed my disinterest in that style.  I have 2 cousins who were partners in that league but are individual owners in our keeper league.  I think they liked the DFS style, so my brother might be up to 7.  I may do it just to give them an 8th, but I REALLY DON'T want to do it.