DonS

Bands you discovered/appreciated late

What are some bands you were aware of  (and liked) but didn't really fully appreciate until recently?

For me it's definitely Lynyrd Skynryd. 

Edit: how the fock do you spell their name?

• Like 1

Slade   Bought one of their CD's 10-15 years ago.  Every song was excellent.

I never appreciated Lionel Ritchie back in the day, I now realize what I was missing out on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DonS said:

What are some bands you were aware of  (and liked) but didn't really fully appreciate until recently?

(Pronounced 'Lĕh-'nérd 'Skin-'nérd)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DonS said:

Like I've said before, I'm still discovering so much music from the 70's ( greatest decade imo )

In the last 10 years I've finally become a Deep Purple / Ian Gillan fan

another band / album that blew me away I just found this year is this....

AVIARY ( should have been a big album in 1979, but I never heard of them )

The BEE GEES also.......I've always liked them as much as I laughed at them, but I just recently realized focking great they were for 40-50 years!

I guess Newbie was right after all

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DonS said:

Take out all the vowels and substitute a 'y' in their place.

56 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

I never appreciated Lionel Ritchie back in the day, I now realize what I was missing out on.

Just Lionel Ritchie or do you include the Commodores? 

I used to make fun of Hall and Oates but when I hear them now I actually like them. I'm old. :(

2 hours ago, DonS said:

❤️ "Tuesday's Gone" 

10 minutes ago, Big Guy said:

❤️ "Tuesday's Gone" 

FREE BIIIIRRD!  :lol:

I prolly have more Skynyrd cd's than any other band/artist. Tons of great songs. "Give Me Back My Bullets", "On The Hunt", "The Needle And The Spoon", "Whiskey Rock-A Roller", "Travelin' Man", "Comin' Home", "Mr. Banker"...

And yes, "Tuesday's Gone" 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Voltaire said:

Agreed. I went to see him play two years ago in Memphis. Part of the concerts in the park series. It was my wife's first concert.

I wasn't that excited, because it's Lionel Richie. But the man brought it and had a lot more hits than I recalled. I've been listening to a lot more of him since. 

I was able to successfully lobby to change “our song” to stuck on you.

Always hated Bob Dylan when I was younger. In the last 5 years or so started listening to some more of his albums and appreciated more of the stuff I'd not heard on the radio.

The list of artists I used to like and don't anymore is much longer.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Agreed. I went to see him play two years ago in Memphis. Part of the concerts in the park series. It was my wife's first concert.

I wasn't that excited, because it's Lionel Richie. But the man brought it and had a lot more hits than I recalled. I've been listening to a lot more of him since. 

This reminds me of another artist.  I bought tix to see Neil Diamond as an Xmas present for my wife several years ago.  It was funny how we were among the "young" folks at the show.

Holy sh1t did he put on a good show!  Granted he wasn't sprinting around the stage but other than that you'd never know he was an old bastard. 

As it turns out we saw him on one of his last shows before he retired due to Parkinsons(??). 

10 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

What was it?

Flogging Molly

the mahones

Irish punk bands in general. Nothing like Irish punk for mountain biking or working out to.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

Flogging Molly

the mahones

Irish punk bands in general. Nothing like Irish punk for mountain biking or working out to.

I'm more into Thin Lizzy & Horslips of the Irish variety

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Big Guy said:

I'm more into Thin Lizzy & Horslips of the Irish variety

• Like 1

Y'all funny with Lynrd Skynyrd.  I guess it's a regional thing, in the South that was mandatory listening or else you got the belt.

4 hours ago, 5-Points said:

Just Lionel Ritchie or do you include the Commodores? 

I used to make fun of Hall and Oates but when I hear them now I actually like them. I'm old. :(

Commodores too. I dunno what I was thinking back in the day. I didn't dislike him but I wouldn't go looking for his songs every now and again like I do now that I'm fully onboard.

35 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

Y'all funny with Lynrd Skynyrd.  I guess it's a regional thing, in the South that was mandatory listening or else you got the belt.

I love Skynyrd. The only problem is that they didn't sing Sweet Home Michigan, but years later Kid Rock filled that gap in for them.

36 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

Is that what y'all listened to while banging your sisters?  No judgement. Just trying to understand the regional things folks do down South. :lol:

I was into Floyd, Stones, Who, Zep in the 80s and really missed early The Clash, The Police, U2, Tears for Fears, The Cure, and other British Invasion stuff I should have been listening to. Been listening to a lot of it recently. 

1 hour ago, TimmySmith said:

I was into Floyd, Stones, Who, Zep in the 80s and really missed early The Clash, The Police, U2, Tears for Fears, The Cure, and other British Invasion stuff I should have been listening to. Been listening to a lot of it recently. 

It was only metal for me in the 80s.  The Cure, The Clash, and The Smiths were putting out a lot of great stuff then but I was too locked in.

Jimmy Buffett. Will be seeing him for the first time in a few weeks. 

1 hour ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Jimmy Buffett. Will be seeing him for the first time in a few weeks. 

Seen him many times back to the 80s. So of the most fun concerts you could imagine. He started becoming a money grubbing caricature of himself along the way as the venues got bigger and bigger. I am still sure that you'll have a good time, especially if you know all the music.

7 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Seen him many times back to the 80s. So of the most fun concerts you could imagine. He started becoming a money grubbing caricature of himself along the way as the venues got bigger and bigger. I am still sure that you'll have a good time, especially if you know all the music.

I know the music fairly well at this point.  The venue, Jones Beach, is great, the amphitheater is right by the ocean. I’m more looking forward to the tailgating I think. 

Eagles, Styx, Tom Petty. Pretty much all I listened to from the ages of 12 (1984)  till 25 (1997) were hairbands and barry manilow

8 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I know the music fairly well at this point.  The venue, Jones Beach, is great, the amphitheater is right by the ocean. I’m more looking forward to the tailgating I think. 

Yeah tailgating is the key. He moved from one smaller incredible tailgating venue outside DC to a much bigger venue the outlawed tailgating.  I went once and that was that. 

5 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Yeah tailgating is the key. He moved from one smaller incredible tailgating venue outside DC to a much bigger venue the outlawed tailgating.  I went once and that was that. 

Oh Fock that. I wouldn’t go either. 

The Rolling Stones. Not that I was early at any point of my life, but I ignored them until my 30s. They are better than I have them credit for

14 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

I used to dig the Waterboys, they sound a lot like them.....the guys Leprechanish accent is too thick for me though.

2 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Hit me up in your way in and meet for a beer. 

For me it was probably Nervana and Pearl Jam. I was (am) a country guy. So the whole grunge thing I just disregarded and never gave a chance. That's some damn fine stuff though.

17 minutes ago, Mike Isles said:

I’d love to but I’m with a group. 

21 minutes ago, Mike Isles said:

He can’t. He’s not really in NY. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2