Sign in to follow this  
cyclone24

Team defenses

Unfortunately our league scores massive points for defenses so getting an elite one racks you up a bunch of points.

Going through rankings I’m still seeing the Steelers listed on top even though they lost Dupree. Am I missing something as to why Tampa Bay wouldn’t be the top choice? You get Taysom Hill twice, new quarterback in Carolina twice and an Atlanta team without Julio twice. 

I would rate the Rams D as the top overall. They have a pass rush as good as any plus a good secondary that can force some turnovers.

The Bucs are up there, as are the Ravens, and the Football Team is one to keep an eye on too.

It depends a lot on your scoring system as well. Team defense scoring can vary widely league to league.

Week one Niners at the Lions.  

Week one Redskins Vs Chargers.  

Week one Rams Vs Bears. 

And if those are gone , cause my def is one of last four picks along with a Qb a kicker and a te.  

Gmen at home Vs Broncos b 

Colts at home Vs Hawks. 

Ranking a def for a draft is extremely difficult, there is simply so much variables every new season. 

Stream.  

Washington - lots of talent up front that should get plenty of pressure and result in sacks and turnovers. Their offense shouldn't force other teams into shootouts, which will keep yardage and points against down. 

Niners- Lots of talent on a run first team. They play in the toughest division in football, so that drops them down a bit.

Colts - Its hard for defenses to repeat performances, but they'll have a shot playin in the AFC South on a run first team.

Chargers - Derwin James missed all of last year, when he's on the field this is a different team with plenty of talent. Their new coach also has a defensive background, which will likely result in a more defensive friendly game script.  They're ADP is almost free, and they open at Washington, so not a terrible week one matchup that should let you see what you have in them. 

I typically stream and end up winding up with a good fantasy defense I can start more weeks than not. Last year it was the Bucs and Giants I used most. I like the Broncos as my late round last pick defense. They're getting Von Miller back as well as adding key pieces in the draft and FA to upgrade the secondary. They have play makers all over and Fangio at the controls. They have a pretty good opening stretch as well: @ Giants week 1 (possibly no Barkley), @ Jaguars Week 2, home game vs Jets Week 3. 

On 7/28/2021 at 10:40 AM, AintNoStoppinMeNow said:

I typically stream and end up winding up with a good fantasy defense I can start more weeks than not. Last year it was the Bucs and Giants I used most. I like the Broncos as my late round last pick defense. They're getting Von Miller back as well as adding key pieces in the draft and FA to upgrade the secondary. They have play makers all over and Fangio at the controls. They have a pretty good opening stretch as well: @ Giants week 1 (possibly no Barkley), @ Jaguars Week 2, home game vs Jets Week 3. 

Yeah I definitely try to target some week one guys if I stream but I really look for what the playoffs look like. It’s just the points are so comical. I mean 20 to 25 points a game when teams average a little over 100 per fantasy team seems like I should take an elite one somewhat early within reason. Don’t get me started on how ludicrous it is. I’ve tried to get them to change it

39 minutes ago, cyclone24 said:

I mean 20 to 25 points a game when teams average a little over 100 per fantasy team seems like I should take an elite one somewhat early within reason.

That's the best reason to stream right there.  Nobody knows who the "elite" defenses will be this season, and with those kinds of points riding on your defense, you want the best matchup you can possibly get each and every week.  So unless people are hoarding two or three Ds per team, you're probably better off streaming and playing matchups each week.

On 7/27/2021 at 5:41 PM, cyclone24 said:

Unfortunately our league scores massive points for defenses so getting an elite one racks you up a bunch of points.

Going through rankings I’m still seeing the Steelers listed on top even though they lost Dupree. Am I missing something as to why Tampa Bay wouldn’t be the top choice? You get Taysom Hill twice, new quarterback in Carolina twice and an Atlanta team without Julio twice. 

In my league, we get points for Points against, TO's, TD's, and sacks.  The only difference between the #1 team and the #15 team is TD's and a few sacks.  The TD's are total pot luck and nobody is getting points for Points Against - in general, so just stream.

Is your league giving out points based on QB hits/pressures or yards against?

2 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

In my league, we get points for Points against, TO's, TD's, and sacks.  The only difference between the #1 team and the #15 team is TD's and a few sacks.  The TD's are total pot luck and nobody is getting points for Points Against - in general, so just stream.

Is your league giving out points based on QB hits/pressures or yards against?

Oh man I’d have to look more closely but it’s one of those where you start out at 19 and you don’t lose points until they score 7 points. Lose two points until they get 100 yards of office. I know you get a point per sack, to perform bowl. It’s really just the amount of points in yardage before you start losing points that really makes the difference

There is some year to year consistency for run defenses. If defense scoring averages 20-25% of the weekly score, you know where to overweight your roster and I’d second what AE said about hoarding that position.

Rams would be my top choice, but they'll go way too early along with those other top D's. So I've been looking at late round/undrafted teams I'll likely have to chose from. And I'm warming up to one nobody is talking about.... The Packers

Finished #1 in time of possession last year. That helps, just don't let the other offense on the field. 11th in sacks, 9th in yards allowed, 12th in points allowed.  They supposedly have a ton of defensive talent, but the prior coordinator couldn't make them elite so they've brought in a new coach.  We'll see.  The starting schedule looks fairly soft too.

@ NO, DET, @SF, PIT, @CIN, @CHI, WAS ...

The Cardinals are growing on me--quietly the #10 fantasy defense last season.

They lost Patrick Peterson in the secondary, but still have Budda Baker, and added DBs Malcom Butler and Robert Alford.  The addition of JJ Watt brings QB pressure, which usually translates into sacks and turnovers.  Chandler Jones is back from injury and should be good for more than 5 games this season.  They added 1st round LB Zaven Collins as well.  Games against Jacksonville, Houston, Chicago and Detroit (Week 15) add to the appeal.

If you stream def , like one should always be doing, Niners week one Vs the Lions, winner. 

I wouldn’t reach for a D, but if I did it would be for one with league winning upside, and to me that is only the artist formerly known as the Redskins…

Would agree about the Redskins. 

They play the Eagles and Gmen four times combine, so there’s four games their def will dominate. 

On 7/27/2021 at 3:38 PM, Brutal Brutus said:

Washington - lots of talent up front that should get plenty of pressure and result in sacks and turnovers. Their offense shouldn't force other teams into shootouts, which will keep yardage and points against down. 

Niners- Lots of talent on a run first team. They play in the toughest division in football, so that drops them down a bit.

Colts - Its hard for defenses to repeat performances, but they'll have a shot playin in the AFC South on a run first team.

Chargers - Derwin James missed all of last year, when he's on the field this is a different team with plenty of talent. Their new coach also has a defensive background, which will likely result in a more defensive friendly game script.  They're ADP is almost free, and they open at Washington, so not a terrible week one matchup that should let you see what you have in them. 

The Chargers keep finding studs in the first round almost every year.  Once of these years, they will stay healthy and when they do they'll be a super bowl contender.

The Patriots should not be ignored as a top defense.  They have a deep and talented backfield and a rookie QB.  Its pretty obvious they will run the ball all day and play keep away, playing conservative on offense and controlling the clock.  The defense is talented as it is, and with that offensive style, they should keep scores low all year long.  Also, their division is filled with young QBs.  Josh Allen is 25.  Zack Wilson is 22.  Tua is 23.  Belichick should be able to contain division offenses.

1 hour ago, JustinCharge said:

The Patriots should not be ignored as a top defense.  They have a deep and talented backfield and a rookie QB.  Its pretty obvious they will run the ball all day and play keep away, playing conservative on offense and controlling the clock.  The defense is talented as it is, and with that offensive style, they should keep scores low all year long.  Also, their division is filled with young QBs.  Josh Allen is 25.  Zack Wilson is 22.  Tua is 23.  Belichick should be able to contain division offenses.

agreed.   Though Josh Allen should be able to score on this defense.   The Defense should be able to feast on the rest of these QB's.

Like the Panthers Vs Jets.  

Almost every weekend , I’m going to try to get any def playing either the Lions, Texans or Jets.  

Thanks. 

Patriots are my sleeper D.

Them with Washington and there will be some points scored.

45 minutes ago, justforbeer said:

Patriots are my sleeper D.

A top 5 D is a "sleeper"?

I always wondered who was playing in those 4-team leagues...

They are ranked eighth according to this website.

certainly hate to lose Gilmore for the first six weeks but after that I think they will dominate.

The first six games, four of the teams they play are the dolphins, jets, Texans and saints.

JesterElf, 

Just from last year, you posted weekly on a loser team, was DRUNK ON CEH koolaid, missed on Henry 460, 3 tds (You predicted 500 yards &5tds), plus said he was the best in the end last year and it was Kamara. Need I say more?

please, when are you right!?

I say at 8, NE is underrated and the d to get late and you make some snide comment.

1 hour ago, justforbeer said:

Just from last year, you posted weekly on a loser team, was DRUNK ON CEH koolaid, missed on Henry 460, 3 tds (You predicted 500 yards &5tds), plus said he was the best in the end last year and it was Kamara. Need I say more?

Yes, you need to say who you have me confused with, because none of this applies to Axe Elf.

please, when are you right!?

When I speak or type.

You're welcome.

I say at 8, NE is underrated and the d to get late and you make some snide comment.

Well, even at 8, they'd be drafted in every league with 8 teams or larger.  "Sleepers" are usually considered to be players not among the typical starters.

Kinda hard to see them that low, though...  They had a DOMINATING D 2 years ago--number one in fantasy by some 60 points.  Then COVID came, half of their defense opted out, Brady left, and the Patriots sucked, giving them a much easier schedule in 2020 than they have been accustomed to earning.  Then the half of their dominating defense that had opted out returned to face the cupcake schedule.  So yeah, there should be high hopes for the Patriot defense indeed.  I can't imagine that they'd be flying under the radar.

I'm gonna be a Homer and say I like my S.F.49ers to play and finish as a top 5 defense this year. Weeks 1 & 2 they have the Lions and the Eagles. They also have the Jaguars, Bengals, Falcons and Houston on the schedule. The Texans game is week 17 when most fantasy league championships will be decided. They have the personnel to be very good and I think they're gonna show it. Fred Warner isn't getting a whole lot of love and that's ok. He'll be a dominant LB. Nick Bosa is back and I loom for him to wreak havoc and return to do.inance as he did his rookie year. The secondary would be their Achilles heel if things were to go wrong but the dominance the front 7 will show will help.mask any deficiencies  the secondary may have. I don't like their bye week which is week 6 but overall I don't think you can go wrong taking them as your defense. I'll be taking them.

Week one I think those Niners is the def to hold. 

I'm debating the Packers vs Saints (in Florida and not the dome) and the Panthers home vs the Jets and a rookie QB making his first start. I'm leaning Carolina but the Packers do get Detroit in Week 2 which is a nice little bonus. 

On 9/2/2021 at 8:19 AM, gcmmidwest said:

Broncos all season long 

Ditto. Or at least until I find someone better. 

Panthers Vs Jets nice. 

Thanks w