Sign in to follow this  
Mike Isles

Do you listen to sports talk radio in at your area ?

Local and on CBS radio in AM is Boomer and Gio. Always liked Boomer and grown to like Gio. But now it’s the same old same old. Same jokes. Same commercials. Too much. Do not like the available music stations and hate ESPN radio so I find my mornings in silence - and liking it. 

I do a bit of driving.  Mornings I flip between local sports, and Rome (not a huge Jim Rome fan, but like hearing a broader base).  Afternoons I throw on Pandora 

Yes, because they only talk sports 40% of the time.  And they have no problem ripping the local teams (they deserve it).

Don't listen to national sports radio. It has to be insufferable.  "Who do you think the Dodgers will trade for?!?!"  "Should Kansas City trade Tyreke Hill?"  "What do you think of Texas and Oklahoma trying to join the SEC?"

Don't give a fock.

12 minutes ago, Mike Isles said:

Local and on CBS radio in AM is Boomer and Gio. Always liked Boomer and grown to like Gio. But now it’s the same old same old. Same jokes. Same commercials. Too much. Do not like the available music stations and hate ESPN radio so I find my mornings in silence - and liking it. 

It's why I like XM radio. Local radio is either pretty good or it sucks. Hit or miss. Not many other options if it sucks. Plus I live in an area where I am not a fan of the sports teams.

My problem is Boomer and Gio and Craig (Carton) and Roberts (Evan) talk 80% sports and mostly during updates. 

I do not know who out of NY knows Craig’s story. Was never a fan of his but he has taken ownership of his problem and goes out of his way to help other with or without gambling problems- he has also admitted to being molested as a child and also there to speak to anyone who has been in similar situations. 

TL:dr

Craig Carton is the biggest on air DBag with the biggest heart off the air. 

I can be wrong but I feel like podcasts are not current (even if recorded a few hours ago) - no breaking news 

Either way I need to change my morning drive because silence is killing me but sports talk radio more so. 

We're blessed here in the DFW area - have 2 fantastic local sports radio stations. 

I listen to them 90% of the time, news 5% of the time, music the other 5%. 

I used to all the time to and from work. After a decade and a half,  it became monotonous and now I listen to....nothing.  

The drive to work and home is my decompression time.  

I used to a lot. I liked 104.5 the zone in Nashville.

George plaster was great, but was getting old and ”get off my lawn-y” and he left.

I loved Clay Travis... at first. He was highly entertaining, and stirred the drink well.

Then he figured out that the key to getting famous is to be the most obnoxious a hole on the planet, founded out kick.com, and I haven't had much use since.

I could listen here, but the time difference makes that no fun. 

Thats all I listen to. Mully and Haugh is a very good duo in the morning. Although their producer is horrible and gets too much air time

6 hours ago, KSB2424 said:

I used to all the time to and from work. After a decade and a half,  it became monotonous and now I listen to....nothing.  

The drive to work and home is my decompression time.  

It’s been a week and have listened to the same thing. Nothing. 

Nope. Mike and the Mad Dog was the pinnacle. The rest are pretenders. 

I mentioned this show before, but the PM Jab on The Big Jab out of Portland Maine is pretty good.  They cover Boston teams but not that much.  One of the guys is a Jets fan.  In general I don't listen to much radio these days, working from home, so not much driving.

I really like Boomer Esiason during football season. But no, i don't listen to anything regularly.

So maybe that's why I like him? :dunno:

I live near Pissburgh.  Mainly listen to Mark Madden.  He is hilarious and doesnt suffer fools.

You can podcast him from iheart .  1059 the x radio station

I used to listen to WIP locally in Philkybyears ago when I had a car commute. Now every time I put it on it’s just shouting and bad takes. Sports podcasts have rooned sports talk radio for me forevah. 

I start off listing to local sports radio, but it's frustrating.  I'd guess 40% of the time it's on commercial and another 30% is pure drivel - "I saw a movie this weekend and here's a long boring story about it."  So I switch to conservative radio, but can't take Sean Hannity types preaching to me for more than a minute. So then I switch to NPR, but of course they're always talking about Covid and how racist America is.  So I switch again... music.  I like talk radio, but not the crap coming out of my radio nowadays. I actually miss Rush Limbaugh even though I often disagreed, at least he was interesting.

1 hour ago, MDC said:

I used to listen to WIP locally in Philkybyears ago when I had a car commute. Now every time I put it on it’s just shouting and bad takes. Sports podcasts have rooned sports talk radio for me forevah. 

I like Jody Mac. He is a good listen. 

4 minutes ago, Mike Isles said:

I like Jody Mac. He is a good listen. 

Puts ketchup on his hot dogs. Pass. 

Houston used to have a couple of good ones, but now all they do is the same story and plug their Twitter. 

4 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Nope. Mike and the Mad Dog was the pinnacle. The rest are pretenders. 

doggie has his own channel on XM

15 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

doggie has his own channel on XM

I know. It will never be what it was. Lennon and Mcartney were better together, even though they were good apart. 

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I know. It will never be what it was. Lennon and Mcartney were better together, even though they were good apart. 

Ever see the 30 for 30?

1 minute ago, kutulu said:

Ever see the 30 for 30?

Yup. I listened to them nearly every day from the beginning. I remember when doggie said the Giants had no shot against the Bills. It was a great week or so. 

59 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Puts ketchup on his hot dogs. Pass. 

You know him all too well. That is a pass. White adult ketchup on a hot dog is unacceptable 

One thing that is crazy in Santa Barbara is that the Los Angeles radio stations have static.  But news radio 740 AM San Francisco comes in crystal clear.  I can get perfect traffic reports in the Bay Area.  The Giants affiliate 680 AM from San Francisco has a signal that is about on par with any LA sports talk radio.  Last night I was flipping between the Giants and Dodgers broadcasts.  The Dodgers have an affiliate in Oxnard about 30 miles south 1450 AM sports radio.  It barely comes in at all.

5 hours ago, Alias Detective said:

82 3 pm est. @Mike Isles

Thanks. I thought it was afternoon- is this High Heat (I’ve seen clips on Twitter) or is that a separate specialty show ?

I would think Dog would have a full on sports show not just baseball. 

12 minutes ago, Mike Isles said:

Thanks. I thought it was afternoon- is this High Heat (I’ve seen clips on Twitter) or is that a separate specialty show ?

I would think Dog would have a full on sports show not just baseball. 

No, not high heat at all.  This is his own channel.  He is the feature host but has a nice lineup as well.

14 hours ago, Alias Detective said:

No, not high heat at all.  This is his own channel.  He is the feature host but has a nice lineup as well.

Channel 82

Christopher 'Mad Dog' Russo, The Morning Men with Evan Cohen and Mike Babchik, Adam Schein, Pat McAfee, and Patrick Meagher talk about the world of sports.

AM sports talk is basically dead.  Its shilling to the lowest common denominator or political BS.  Its good for breaking news and live sports, but that's it.  The internet is where the serious sports talk is, podcasts, youtube, forums, etc.

26 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

AM sports talk is basically dead.  Its shilling to the lowest common denominator or political BS.  Its good for breaking news and live sports, but that's it.  The internet is where the serious sports talk is, podcasts, youtube, forums, etc.

Legalized sports gambling will keep sports talk going for the time being 

48 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Legalized sports gambling will keep sports talk going for the time being 

I am so sick of every other commercial is an ad for a sports book app. Every on air personality shills their own promo code (I know I said it here before) but you can’t even use the apps in NY and this is NYC radio. 

At least they are responsible- got a gambling problem or know someone with a gambling problem call 1 - 800 - Gambler

I used to but it just kept getting worse. I remember clearly when I lost interest. The host of the afternoon drive time made fun of breaking down plays. Instead of really going over what happened during the game it was all locker room BS and which players where happy or mad.

I listen to audiobooks mostly.

51 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

I used to but it just kept getting worse. I remember clearly when I lost interest. The host of the afternoon drive time made fun of breaking down plays. Instead of really going over what happened during the game it was all locker room BS and which players where happy or mad.

I listen to audiobooks mostly.

Sometimes hosts say something like "not to go into the weeds" or "not to get nerdy but" and then start actually discussing some stats before stopping and going back to fart jokes.

WWL AM all the time at night l. They reach over forty states at night. Great station for Saints, LSU, and Sunday and Monday night football.